Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

I carry one because the company had to issue backup batteries for the surface tablets we use as EFBs. Apparently battery life on those really suck when you use 4G cellular to grab dispatch releases, and rather than use iPads like everyone else...:homebrew:

I have to wonder how much more my company has spent in support, replacements, delays, these stupid battery packs, etc.

All to supposedly "save" money over iPads.

hobbesmaster posted:

I heard that Microsoft paid to have the software ported, Delta has to be the only customer for that platform.

Kinda like how MS has pay the NFL to use their software
Delta and Skywest, and soon to just be Skywest.

The hallmark of a good product, having to pay people to use it.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

I have to wonder how much more my company has spent in support, replacements, delays, these stupid battery packs, etc.

All to supposedly "save" money over iPads.

But don't you see, it's just Apple fanboys and their overpriced crap :smug:

(I love my iPad and anyone who disagrees can go straight to hell)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The Surface is literally the worst piece of modern tech I've used.

It freezes
it's slow
brightness controls in windows are literal garbage, darkest setting is too bright at night and the lightest setting is nearly unreadable during the day
the multitouch isn't even on par with the original iphone
it doesn't wake probably 30% of the time when I need it to
the screen doesn't orient properly probably 50% of the time when I wake it up, and good luck getting it to without rebooting it
cellular and wifi drop CONSTANTLY and won't come back without a reboot
so many problems with cellular the company has issued mobile hotspots to all (400+) aircraft to use on the ground

these aren't issues limited to just mine either, literally everyone has these issues
but yeah, saving money over iPads :negative:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rickety Cricket posted:

The Jepp charts are great, but JeppFD sucks a big one.

JeppFD Pro; mother of frustration, breaker of batteries.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

But don't you see, it's just Apple fanboys and their overpriced crap :smug:

(I love my iPad and anyone who disagrees can go straight to hell)

I was a stupid kid who cares about brands over functionality until I got an iPad for foreflight like 7 years ago. Now everything I have for is Apple because it works.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nuggan posted:

I, at one point, knew out to get frequencies out of the gps, but it would be good to have a review. My main method is my ipad w/foreflight, and a 40 hour backup battery just in case.

I always had the ATIS/AWOS and tower/CTAF frequencies for most of the airports in the area written in the corner of the notepad on my kneeboard in case I needed to get to one fast. The SPs I flew both had GPS (either a 430 or the Bendix/King orange-lettered contraption) but the Bendix/King was a pain in the rear end to navigate so I just made the quick reference.

What kind of GPS? There's a downloadable Garmin 430 simulator here: https://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

I was a stupid kid who cares about brands over functionality until I got an iPad for foreflight like 7 years ago. Now everything I have for is Apple because it works.

In general I am a windows man except for tablets where it is iPad all the way... Gaming purposes mainly. But figure this. Microsoft windows phone which actually works (Nokia Lumia) they bought out and stopped production of it. Battery life about 3 times that of iphone... Lifesaver on Cuban layovers!

Back to a brick I go for battery life when this dies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The WP8 Lumias were the best pure talk \ text \ camera phones ever made, shame about the app support.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Nuggan posted:

I'm thinking of building a radio receiver with a raspberry piece to be able to get in flight weather with Foreflight.

Anyone else done this or have one?

I have built a ton of them. I distribute them on amazon.ca and designed the case that most people use (Get the one listed on Stratux.me the Summitlink case sucks).

Works great and the price is right. The Stratux community is great and If you have any questions people are eager to help.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s a really cool thing I never knew I wanted to do.

I’ve also been looking for an excuse to get a RP since it came out.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Even if you don't end up using it in the air you can always load piaware or adsbexchange to feed those networks with the same hardware.

Stratux.me has all the parts listed to DIY one and there are a bunch of people selling them preassembled.

The sales volume is pretty crazy. I 3d printed and sold 60 of those cases in 2016. We got it injection molded in June of 2017 and have sold 6700 of them.

It is likely the most common ADS-B receiver in use, kind of hard to pin down firm numbers when people can make them from parts you have no control over.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
What's with this weird trend that when talking about jumpseat or nonrev priority, everyone's suddenly all "our metal" this and "our metal" that? Why do you never hear an airplane called metal in any other situation? Like, "the inbound metal is delayed" or "what's your favorite metal that you've flown" or "how many metals do you see over there in the lineup?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

What's with this weird trend that when talking about jumpseat or nonrev priority, everyone's suddenly all "our metal" this and "our metal" that? Why do you never hear an airplane called metal in any other situation? Like, "the inbound metal is delayed" or "what's your favorite metal that you've flown" or "how many metals do you see over there in the lineup?"

Frequent fliers talk about it in context with codeshares all the time. Like "gently caress this delta flight is air france metal"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In that case it kind of matters when it comes to hard product?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sellouts posted:

In that case it kind of matters when it comes to hard product?

And soft product and policies for that matter.

Saying metal is a lot simpler than saying “operating carrier.” And it really is heavily used by frequent flyers, at least the ones who talk about it on online forums like Flyertalk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m guessing the jump seat thing is the regional carriers trying to occasionally assert that they’re a real separate company that doesn’t have to do everything their mainline tells them to do?

(Preemptive “narrator voice: they do”)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

fordan posted:

Saying metal is a lot simpler than saying “operating carrier.”

"gently caress this Delta flight is an Air France plane!"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

vessbot posted:

"gently caress this Delta flight is an Air France plane!"

Yeah, but how do we know you're a :smug: frequent flyer :smug: if you just say that?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

And what's wrong with Air France :colbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In my best :spergin: Airliners.net voice: :spergin:

their airplanes are dirty their uniforms are outdated they fly too many boeings they dont fly enough boeings they have air in their name their name isnt french enough their name is too french

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Haha yeah, like "MY GIRLFRIEND"

e: guess SA doesn't automatically capitalize this anymore?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sleepy gary posted:

And what's wrong with Air France :colbert:

Standard answer would be terrible customer service compared to the other members of that joint venture or whatever Delta/KLM/Air france is called.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Can anyone recommend a good Part 61 PPL ground school? I get the same emails from John and Martha that everyone does, but they seem pretty dated and waaaaaay too cheerful.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Part 61 PPL ground school? I get the same emails from John and Martha that everyone does, but they seem pretty dated and waaaaaay too cheerful.
I liked MzeroA’s ground school aka ground school academy.

In other news, I passed the oral portion of my PPL checkride yesterday. I opted not to fly because winds were really gusty, so I’m going back on Monday afternoon to finish up the flight.

So...two years after my adventure flight, I might actually be a Private Pilot!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good decision!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

dexter6 posted:

I liked MzeroA’s ground school aka ground school academy.

In other news, I passed the oral portion of my PPL checkride yesterday. I opted not to fly because winds were really gusty, so I’m going back on Monday afternoon to finish up the flight.

So...two years after my adventure flight, I might actually be a Private Pilot!

I would second MzeroA's ground school.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm in a bar in fargo, alone, trying to drown the stress of this trip in the sweet bitterness of an IPA. Another crew just walked in, sat near me, and won't shut up about work. Work, work, work, work......I wanna go home.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
^---- Sorry meng, this post counts as work work work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So I'm planning a bachelor party in Vegas and the groom just linked this to me: https://www.skycombatace.com/experiences/

It's obviously quite interesting but also pretty expensive. Does anyone have any input on the company, the experience, or even the plane (Extra 330)? As awesome as the dogfighting would probably be it's really expensive, so we were discussing the "Top Gun" package.

As someone who's been considering taking the "Discovery Flight" at my local airport this seems like a lot more fun of a way to try flying than looping around town in a Cessna.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Not 100% sure but I think they had a plane crash not too long ago.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
They've had multiple fatals. At least 2, possibly 3. Which is almost the number of years they've existed. I used to do rides for a similar company and the first 5 seconds on this website give me the heebie jeebies wrt. safety minimums. Low level acro around the cliffs? Illegal without a waiver. For a good reason, and there's just no need with distracted passengers and no military mission.

Off the top of my head there's Sunrise Aviation in LA. No dogfighting, but they'll take you up in a Pitts or Extra and they run a tight ship. My old boss used to do rides and instruction for them.

There's also Air Combat USA who have been doing dogfighting in Marchettis for decades, and are very reputable. They're also LA-based but tour around the country.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 26, 2018

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
There was a wreck at my airport today.

Some dude in a LSA on his first solo didn't correct for the left pull on takeoff and went straight down the embankment on the side of the runway. He got out with no injuries but the plane, brand new with all glass instruments, is totaled.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nuggan posted:

Some dude in a LSA on his first solo didn't correct for the left pull on takeoff and went straight down the embankment on the side of the runway. He got out with no injuries but the plane, brand new with all glass instruments, is totaled.

Oh well, it’s just a thing. Wonderful that the guy wasn’t hurt.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Rolo posted:

Oh well, it’s just a thing. Wonderful that the guy wasn’t hurt.

Yeah I'm glad he got out super ok, kinda amazing considering the state of the plane.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fatman1683 posted:

With King Schools you can definitely see that history of making VHS tape flight training, but the older videos are mostly on stuff that hasn’t really changed in aviation since the 70s. You’ll notice a change in voice or a new video featuring an older John or Martha when they cover newer topics. They’re cheerful and have corny senses of humor but it helps keep you awake when covering dry topics, or at least it helped me keep awake.

Sporty’s have their videos which are arguably a little more professional and polished, but it’s harder to push through the dry material.

I did King for my private and have King and Sporty’s for when I finally get off my butt and do the Instrument.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nuggan posted:

I'm curious, now that I'm working on my instructor rating, what could've been done to prevent that. Surely by the time a student goes solo, they've had a lot of experience keeping the plane going straight down the runway on takeoff, so I assume it's an error of omission brought on by stress. Ultimately instructors can't know what a student will do when going solo, until they've gone solo, so what can be done beforehand to make sure the student performs reasonably similar to how they've flown dual?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Personally I make sure my students fly at least a good two flights in the pattern (typically about 12 touch and goes for an hour flight, so 24 landings or so) with zero input from me. (I’ll jokingly tell them I just want to be a passenger today) Assuming it goes well I’ll do their solo endorsements minus the signatures when we land. Then the next flight we have, we’ll do a quick 3-4 laps around the pattern, during the last lap if it’s all gone well I’ll tell them to request a full stop I don’t need to be in the plane anymore, sign the endorsements and make a big deal about it to get them all distracted and excited to make sure their nerves are ready during the last landing.

Except for the outliers that probably shouldn’t be flying, I’ve soloed most of my students in 20ish hours, which is about on track with what our 141 program called for. When I was teaching 61 I could get it down to about 15, but there’s a lot of stuff on the 141 syllabus that’s semi unrelated to soloing thats required to be covered before they solo.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 26, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t this particular case one where it’s the lack of the instructor’s weight that caused a major difference?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Instructor weight makes a difference, but not that much of a difference. And mostly just in acceleration and climb-out performance. Monday morning quarterbacking a bit but I’d be interested in learning how that instructor taught how to use/apply right rudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hi everyone I got my PPL today. Took me two years (with 7 months off until 2 weeks ago) and 86 hours.

STILL COUNTS