Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kassad posted:

Can't this be defeated just by using something other than Chrome

Why on earth should some lovely addon developer for an old rear end video game dictate what browser I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
a sec fuckup in a flight sim? finally a real digital 9/11

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

akadajet posted:

Why on earth should some lovely addon developer for an old rear end video game dictate what browser I use?

Oh no, it shouldn't. I meant that it sounds like it wouldn't even be effective in a bunch of cases.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Midjack posted:

flight sim labs is based in the EU, so good luck with that.

This is against US law, and it's *hideously* against EU law in ways that do get reactions.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

a flight sim addon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Unfortunately it's an airbus addon, not a 737 one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol that microsoft gave up on flight sims, and people still cling to fsx because nothing good has come out since.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

lol that microsoft gave up on flight sims, and people still cling to fsx because nothing good has come out since.

prepar3d is the continuation of it, but its FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY

(because it was a condition of the sale of the FSX codebase)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/Eccitaze/status/965657532722176000

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I shouldn't laugh on principle but..
https://twitter.com/Eccitaze/status/965658096172392448

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol owned

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There’s a joke about Tails somewhere in all of this

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

furry communities are historically really bad at infosec but i don't know enough details to tell any interesting stories here

aside from the fact that one of the big art sites supposedly had its entire source code leaked and passed around at a convention, though idk if that actually happened or if it was just a trick to get people to plug in usb drives from strangers

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

vOv posted:

furry communities are historically really bad at infosec

but enough about "infosec taylor swift"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the fact that it basically does typo recognition when you're looking a name up and helpfully offers every name that's close to what you punched in makes me wonder if this is long-con malice and not just incompetence

either way holy loly rip a bunch of furries

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
yeah hope you didn’t publish your sonic/aero fan fiction under the same name you registered in yiffcon because some angry sonic/knuckles shipper is gonna doxx you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vOv posted:

furry communities are historically really bad at infosec but i don't know enough details to tell any interesting stories here

aside from the fact that one of the big art sites supposedly had its entire source code leaked and passed around at a convention, though idk if that actually happened or if it was just a trick to get people to plug in usb drives from strangers

this is the incident you're thinking of:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vv77d3/another-day-another-hack-furry-site-hacked-content-deleted

"According to Fender, the problems started at the beginning of May, when researchers disclosed a vulnerability in the ImageMagick library that allows attackers to execute arbitrary code on websites. In this case, hackers downloaded Fur Affinity's source code before the administrators had patched the site.

Over a week later, Fur Affinity heard that people at an unnamed convention were handing out USB sticks containing that source code. The same day, the site was attacked again, and this time hackers deleted content. They were stopped before things such as journals and notes could be wiped, an administrator who calls themselves Dragoneer wrote last week on the Fur Affinity forums.

"While we were investigating [the USB sticks], somebody launched a second attack against the site using information gleaned from the source code," Dragoneer said. "

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

fishmech posted:

this is the incident you're thinking of:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vv77d3/another-day-another-hack-furry-site-hacked-content-deleted

"According to Fender, the problems started at the beginning of May, when researchers disclosed a vulnerability in the ImageMagick library that allows attackers to execute arbitrary code on websites. In this case, hackers downloaded Fur Affinity's source code before the administrators had patched the site.

Over a week later, Fur Affinity heard that people at an unnamed convention were handing out USB sticks containing that source code. The same day, the site was attacked again, and this time hackers deleted content. They were stopped before things such as journals and notes could be wiped, an administrator who calls themselves Dragoneer wrote last week on the Fur Affinity forums.

"While we were investigating [the USB sticks], somebody launched a second attack against the site using information gleaned from the source code," Dragoneer said. "

yeah this was it

i seem to remember also hearing that furaffinity got exploited before the vulnerability was public which implies they didn't just get popped by some rando but my memory is similarly hazy

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
unsurprising that a furry website would get secfucked through lots of holes

:suicide:

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zamujasa posted:

idgi

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zamujasa posted:

:huh:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zamujasa posted:

advanced fursistent threat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vOv posted:

advanced fursistent threat

cross site yiffing

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

cross site yiffing

fursonally identifiable information

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
google's project zero notified microsoft about a vulnerability in edge back in november, microsoft hasn't yet fixed it, and so it's been disclosed

some very stupid people are very upset at google https://twitter.com/cnoanalysis/status/965654558763401216

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

You know how utterly incompetent Microsoft is when their security team completely ignores taviso. What did they think would happen?

STOP HURTING US

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that one wasn't tavis :ssh:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

anthonypants posted:

google's project zero notified microsoft about a vulnerability in edge back in november, microsoft hasn't yet fixed it, and so it's been disclosed

some very stupid people are very upset at google https://twitter.com/cnoanalysis/status/965654558763401216

Oh no a fix didn't make a disclosure window, for a moderate issue, must be Tuesday.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
If I understand infosec properly (which I probably don’t) disclosures for vulnerabilities is good so that people can mitigate and protect as possible, no? Having 0-days is generally worse?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If I understand infosec properly (which I probably don’t) disclosures for vulnerabilities is good so that people can mitigate and protect as possible, no? Having 0-days is generally worse?

0days are exploits in the wild with 0 days of notice, hence the name. These aren't 0days.

Giving an infinite amount of time to fix an issue is also irresponsible, project zero rarely deviates from their disclosure window and only for big things.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 20, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vOv posted:

yeah this was it

i seem to remember also hearing that furaffinity got exploited before the vulnerability was public which implies they didn't just get popped by some rando but my memory is similarly hazy

i seem to remember there was some other site that got so owned they just shut down for like weeks and came back with a completely rewritten different website with a bunch of the data missing because the latest backup was months old

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Penisface posted:

fursonally identifiable information

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

0days are exploits in the wild with 0 days of notice, hence the name. These aren't 0days.

Giving an infinite amount of time to fix an issue is also irresponsible, project zero rarely deviates from they disclosure window and only for big things.
yeah, if researchers discover that an issue exists for an unpatched product, it's reasonable to assume that someone else could similarly discover and exploit the same bug. for most companies, patching these bugs is a matter of capitalism; corporations already see security as a massive time and money sink, and if it's not being actively exploited there's even less of an incentive to fix it. public disclosures allow the researchers to:
a) alert the vendor's customers that the vendor has an unresolved security issue with their product
b) name and shame the vendor who won't or can't patch their poo poo
c) incentivize the vendor to hurry up and fix their poo poo

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

anthonypants posted:

yeah, if researchers discover that an issue exists for an unpatched product, it's reasonable to assume that someone else could similarly discover and exploit the same bug. for most companies, patching these bugs is a matter of capitalism; corporations already see security as a massive time and money sink, and if it's not being actively exploited there's even less of an incentive to fix it. public disclosures allow the researchers to:
a) alert the vendor's customers that the vendor has an unresolved security issue with their product
b) name and shame the vendor who won't or can't patch their poo poo
c) incentivize the vendor to hurry up and fix their poo poo

d) it shows the quality of these products, lots of amateur hours bugs even if they're patched shouldn't be a thing people can get away with without shame

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

every product or every website ever will always have amateur hour bugs due to many reasons, assuming people will stop introducing sqli or whatever is naive, especially the larger a thing becomes the more opportunity there is for one of those things to pop up, so that’s not really an argument. the refusal to fix them knowing it’ll be published, that’s the real amateur hour

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

apseudonym posted:

d) it shows the quality of these products, lots of amateur hours bugs even if they're patched shouldn't be a thing people can get away with without shame

Ah yes the LastPass scenario

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Raere posted:

You know how utterly incompetent Microsoft is when their security team completely ignores taviso. What did they think would happen?

STOP HURTING US
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/965661603579314176

also off the top of my head i'm fairly sure android failed to meet a p0 deadline and it went public, also microsoft have been looking into google's products publicly recently

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

geonetix posted:

every product or every website ever will always have amateur hour bugs due to many reasons, assuming people will stop introducing sqli or whatever is naive, especially the larger a thing becomes the more opportunity there is for one of those things to pop up, so that’s not really an argument. the refusal to fix them knowing it’ll be published, that’s the real amateur hour

This is toxic if we ever want to actually make secure things as opposed to just loling about fuckups and taking contractor :10bux:, patching bugs is important but we actually have to build systems, languages, and tools from the ground up so that devs and users aren't off shooting themselves in the face everytime they try and do something.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/965661603579314176

also off the top of my head i'm fairly sure android failed to meet a p0 deadline and it went public, also microsoft have been looking into google's products publicly recently

I think you're right but can't remember any specific time that happened. :shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the guys who used a password stealer trojan as "drm" have an update https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/announcement/11-a320-x-drm-what-happened/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

This is toxic if we ever want to actually make secure things as opposed to just loling about fuckups and taking contractor :10bux:, patching bugs is important but we actually have to build systems, languages, and tools from the ground up so that devs and users aren't off shooting themselves in the face everytime they try and do something.

100%

we know how to fix memory corruption vulns, it’s called "don’t use c or c++"

we know how to fix sqli, it’s some kind of abstraction layer like an ORM

many weaknesses have corresponding silver bullets, and for ones that don’t, we need to work harder

• Locked thread