Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MockingQuantum posted:

All I have from Pilot at this point is Metros, but they're far and away my favorite pens I have. What's the natural "next step up" pen from Pilot, if there is one?

How much do you want to spend?

Professor Shark posted:

Are three tines a Music Nib?

Maybe? I've never seen an oblique music nib, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MockingQuantum posted:

All I have from Pilot at this point is Metros, but they're far and away my favorite pens I have. What's the natural "next step up" pen from Pilot, if there is one?

Maybe a Custom 74? It's got a gold nib, though because the body is plastic it will feel much lighter in hand than the metro.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

grack posted:

How much do you want to spend?

Well I don't really want to go over $100, but it looks like there aren't a ton of offerings in the $50-100 range. So I may just wait til I can afford a Vanishing Point or something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I don't really want to go over $100, but it looks like there aren't a ton of offerings in the $50-100 range. So I may just wait til I can afford a Vanishing Point or something.

I haven't used an insane number of fountain pens - just about 6 different models from various manufacturers. But my VP is my favorite pen, especially in Medium. Perfect size and weight, writes smooth as heck and holds a ton of ink if you syringe-fill cartridges. And such a satisfying click.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I had a pen custom turned and it's amazing. I may or may not be scouting out whether local makerspaces have the woodworking tools and reasonable enough rates for me to buy a blank, a kit, and other stuff to turn them myself.

Paper question: other than Rhodia, are there any options for top-folding spiral or staple bound notebooks that are good enough to not feather, but still let ink dry quickly enough to take rapid notes?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MJP posted:

I had a pen custom turned and it's amazing. I may or may not be scouting out whether local makerspaces have the woodworking tools and reasonable enough rates for me to buy a blank, a kit, and other stuff to turn them myself.

Paper question: other than Rhodia, are there any options for top-folding spiral or staple bound notebooks that are good enough to not feather, but still let ink dry quickly enough to take rapid notes?

I've had good luck with the Maruman Mnemosyne notepads, though their sizing options are a bit weird if you're looking for anything larger than pocket notebooks (as in, a lot of their larger notepads are portrait rather than landscape orientation). I think Midori also has a reporter/Steno style notebook but it's got a leather cover so it's on the expensive side, and only comes in a pocket size.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I've had good luck with the Maruman Mnemosyne notepads, though their sizing options are a bit weird if you're looking for anything larger than pocket notebooks (as in, a lot of their larger notepads are portrait rather than landscape orientation). I think Midori also has a reporter/Steno style notebook but it's got a leather cover so it's on the expensive side, and only comes in a pocket size.

Portrait is perfect, I'm just taking notes for my next IT exam and the feathering is just annoying me. Everything I write comes out super-bold.

Edit: yikes, yeah, Mnemosyne seems really weird. Closest it gets is around 9x6" writable space.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bobfather posted:

I haven't used an insane number of fountain pens - just about 6 different models from various manufacturers. But my VP is my favorite pen, especially in Medium. Perfect size and weight, writes smooth as heck and holds a ton of ink if you syringe-fill cartridges. And such a satisfying click.

Yeah, my medium VP is still my favorite pen even though the ink capacity is low and it's a pain to fill, the nib is just so smooth and the fact that it's a click pen is so convenient that I have a hard time getting away from it. Someday I really want a VP Raiden Galaxy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you keep an eye on Amazon VPs do dip below $100 on a fairly regular basis. At that price point from Pilot you could look at the Custom 74 or 91, Elite, Grance or Decimo.

Also, my new brand obsession is coming along quite nicely

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
drat, this PenBBS 308 feels good and writes like a dream. Sorry I doubted you lot. :wth:

I don't normally care about eyedroppering, but I might have to get a transparent one of these for eyedroppering.

edit:

edit2: Chiming in on Pilots... The Custom 74 is lovely in every way, and is IMO the best pen you can buy for under $100.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 16, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MockingQuantum posted:

Vanishing Point Decimos are about one hundred dollars when imported from Japan.

There are also “special alloy” (read “steel nib”) VPs that are significantly less.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Why in the hell is PenBBS 308 not a dial up BBS in west Nebraska?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Vanishing Point Decimos are about one hundred dollars when imported from Japan.

There are also “special alloy” (read “steel nib”) VPs that are significantly less.

The steel nib VPs are about $80 in Japan, which isn’t a terrible price for the VP body. Consider that an 18k nib section is ~$80 on Ebay.

It’s the Pilot Custom series pens that are way, way cheaper in Japan than outside of Japan.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well it's been 11 days and my pen has yet to arrive. I've contacted the member on Fountain Pen Network and he said he'll get the tracking number to me Monday, but I'm starting to consider this one a loss.

AManWearingAHat
Feb 2, 2018

effika posted:

Maybe a Custom 74? It's got a gold nib, though because the body is plastic it will feel much lighter in hand than the metro.

Highly Recommend that 74

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

AManWearingAHat posted:

Highly Recommend that 74

The 74 seems like the most sensible cost-efficient choice but dang it I want a clicky fountain pen. Not sure if I'd prefer a Decimo or the regular VP though, I like the gunmetal standard VP, and would probably snag that if I found it for cheap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Post pics Friday?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Maybe? I've never seen an oblique music nib, though.

I think it's part of the old Osmiroid calligraphy nib set. Those B4s came in straight-cut and oblique. Depending on the vintage of the pen, it might be swappable with Esterbrook nibs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kurrentschrift, taught in Germany before the War.

Washington, D.C. 29 April 1872
To the highly honored, praiseworthy Mayor
And city council in Bönnigheim, District Authority of Besigheim
Kingdom of Württemberg!

Most Honorable Gentlemen!
I consider it my duty to inform you that after many years and some discrete research, I have finally learned who the heinous murderer of our highly esteemed but unfortunate Mayor Rieber was. [Rieber] was, as far as I remember, shot by a heinous murderer in the autumn of 1834 [corrected to 1835], in the night at 9:45 pm, as he came home from his brother’s inn, the Waldhorn, where he had eaten – he lived next to the palace – while he was opening his door. They offered a huge reward for arresting the murderer, but the entire investigation was fruitless, and as far as I can still remember, several upright citizens, who were innocent, as it now appears, came under suspicion. In order to remove that suspicion from those miserable families, I see it as my sacred duty to report everything to you exactly as I discovered it recently by coincidence.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any new hotness in notebooks? I've been using Clairefontaine notebooks for work for like 4 years now, Rhodia legal pads for scratch paper, and lechturm pocket-sized notebooks for on the go. Much as i would love to just start using that goon's clothbound stuff, bit outside my price range.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Black ‘n Red is supposedly really good and FP friendly.

AManWearingAHat
Feb 2, 2018

AManWearingAHat posted:

Highly Recommend that 74

If you want to go clicky, go Vanishing Point

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks to the LA pen show, I have now seen and held the Stallone pen from Montegrappa.

It is every bit as ridiculous in the metal as it is in that loving YouTube video.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kessel posted:

Thanks to the LA pen show, I have now seen and held the Stallone pen from Montegrappa.

It is every bit as ridiculous in the metal as it is in that loving YouTube video.

Good Lord, how are you typing this, seeing as your hands must have been burned off by all the lava?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TIL if you're a dummy and drop a Metro on its end from a couple of feet up, it's entirely possible the converter might have just popped out of place and filled the body of the pen with ink.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Should've listened to my gut and the feedback out there and picked up a EF Lamy 2k instead of the Fine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there a reason I shouldn't buy another Platinum Preppy with a medium nib?

Heh, the reason is that both places I’ve shopped haven’t had Platinum products. Got a Pilot Kakuno, and also the Muji fountain pen on a whim.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes, the nib variability has been an issue so far. Of the four PenBBS pens I have, one nib was excellent, one was good and two needed work. That said, I'm fully comfortable with adjusting nibs so YMMV

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Yes, the nib variability has been an issue so far. Of the four PenBBS pens I have, one nib was excellent, one was good and two needed work. That said, I'm fully comfortable with adjusting nibs so YMMV

That's basically par for the course with chinese pens though. Buy a 10 pack of Hero's so that at least one of them will have a nib worth keeping!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeurosisHead posted:

That's basically par for the course with chinese pens though. Buy a 10 pack of Hero's so that at least one of them will have a nib worth keeping!

Some models have variability like that but I don’t consider it par.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I got one of those PenBBS 308s, it's a really pretty pen. The nib is fairly smooth, though the feed is a touch dryer than I'd like, are the nib/feed units removable?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I got one of those PenBBS 308s, it's a really pretty pen. The nib is fairly smooth, though the feed is a touch dryer than I'd like, are the nib/feed units removable?

Yep, just get a paper towel, wrap it around the base of the feed and pull out with even pressure.

Or use a rubber band in place of the paper towel.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Lemme clarify - all four pens wrote reliably out of the box. One wasn't very smooth and on one the nib was slightly warped so the tines were misaligned. Not difficult issues to fix but worth noting nonetheless.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Heath posted:

Black ‘n Red is supposedly really good and FP friendly.

I buy these a lot because they actually stock them at Staples. They're great notebooks and have handled every kind of ink and nib I own but they aren't really any cheaper than, say, a Mnemosyne of a similar size ordered online so it's hard to recommend them unless you just need a notebook Right This Second and want to be able to walk into a store and buy it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Our office supply vendor carries Black n Red so I have the best work notebooks and it owns. They don't carry any other nice brand, but since BnR is Mead it is in their catalog. That's another nice benefit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone try the Amazon basic notebook? Looks petty standard, though I have serious doubts about the paper.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Today I managed to fool myself into thinking I was using Noodler's Burma Road Brown when I was using Robert Oster Bronze. There's some hope I'll be able to get over it.

I posted earlier--an image in horrible penmanship--regarding a Senator Windsor piston-filler that appears to be leaking around the window. Does anybody have any ideas on stopping the leak? I'm assuming I might be able to pop out the feed and nib, and there might be something right at the end where I can get an o-ring, but that's about it for ideas.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've mostly been writing with a Metro for the last few weeks, but I just loaded up my Safari with Iroshizuku Kon-peki. I'm noticing, though, that the Safari is much more dry and prone to skipping than my other pens. It also seems to require more pressure than seems normal (not as much as, like, a ballpoint, but I definitely have to press). To be honest, it might have always been this way, I haven't used it since I first got into fountain pens and don't really remember how it wrote when I first got it.

Is this normal? Did I get a dud nib? Is there any reason the Iroshizuku wouldn't perform well in this pen, given it's been fine in other pens? Is there anything I can do to try and get it to write a little more smoothly, besides cleaning it thoroughly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Today I managed to fool myself into thinking I was using Noodler's Burma Road Brown when I was using Robert Oster Bronze. There's some hope I'll be able to get over it.

I posted earlier--an image in horrible penmanship--regarding a Senator Windsor piston-filler that appears to be leaking around the window. Does anybody have any ideas on stopping the leak? I'm assuming I might be able to pop out the feed and nib, and there might be something right at the end where I can get an o-ring, but that's about it for ideas.

There's a joint between the clear plastic and the body that's leaking. The best way to stop it would be to take the pen apart at that joint and glue it back together using shellac.

MockingQuantum posted:

I've mostly been writing with a Metro for the last few weeks, but I just loaded up my Safari with Iroshizuku Kon-peki. I'm noticing, though, that the Safari is much more dry and prone to skipping than my other pens. It also seems to require more pressure than seems normal (not as much as, like, a ballpoint, but I definitely have to press). To be honest, it might have always been this way, I haven't used it since I first got into fountain pens and don't really remember how it wrote when I first got it.

Is this normal? Did I get a dud nib? Is there any reason the Iroshizuku wouldn't perform well in this pen, given it's been fine in other pens? Is there anything I can do to try and get it to write a little more smoothly, besides cleaning it thoroughly?

The nib tines need to be spread apart slightly. You can look on Youtube to find out how, but you really should have a loupe to make sure you don't mess up the alignment at the same time.

grack fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2018