Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Bryan and Kyle review a sequel to an insane low-budget cop movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wisecrack: The Philosophy of Christopher Nolan
Part 1 Christopher Nolan
Part 2 feat. Batman Dark Knight Trilogy
Part 3 feat. Interstellar & Dunkirk

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh

https://twitter.com/GameTheoryRejct/status/965032503630278656

I guess he is out of ideas, quick make another FNAF game.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Because the real video game is YouTube, obviously...but that's just a theory.

I looked at the video and found this:

MatPat posted:

To everyone who is concerned this isn't a regular Game Theory episode: - This is a video about a GAMER, KSI, a GAME, boxing, and the strategies used to win. - It's important not just for me, but every YouTuber, to try new things and test new ideas. Not only does it keep me creatively fresh and learning new things, but it gives me a chance to introduce you to things that I found interesting that you might as well. And if nothing else, remember this: In a series of around 220 episodes across 7 years, only ten official episodes have been "non-gaming" -- looking at YouTube and digital video trends. So if you're still concerned, don't worry -- I'm sure I'll be back next week with something about how Mario's planet is doomed to die in some cataclysmic way.

This is all really well and good talking about the strategies involved in the sweet science, my man. Trouble is however...um, I watched KSI vs Joe Weller. It was like a playground schoolfight. There was no strategising involved, like. Seeing as none of these three are professional boxers, I expect that a fight between Ratkillerbro and whoever would be similar. Not that the fight wasn't fun but using this to talk about the strategies behind boxing is like talking about cinematography with Manos: The Hands of Fate as the base for your thesis.

Look just be honest and say that you need some money to buy a new TV or something, jeez

EDIT: Also seriously KSI hasn't been a gaming channel for like 3 years now lol.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Boxing is a video game apparently?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Boxing is a video game apparently?

Of course!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hate you.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Come for RedLetterMedia's review of Black Panther

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kmzvqMEXI

Stay for the blistering hot takes in the comments.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Michael B Jordan did nothing wrong

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

Except maybe Fantastic 4 :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

I loved BP but it is genuinely hosed up that they had the villain literally be 'black liberation' and had to throw in the dumb "THE SUN WILL NEVER SET ON WAKANDA" poo poo and "WE WILL KILL THEIR CHILDREN TOO" just to make Killmonger the more overt badguy by having liberation ideology somehow seamlessly turn into imperialism.

Like, it was probably the best movie Marvel's done in a bit but it's pretty nuts it literally ended with 'arming the oppressed is bad, white CIA man please murder my people in this civil war. Also we're gonna share our tech with the UN so they can oppress people with shiny spears now. Also just teach the inner city to code and it'll be fine isn't it always good when a wealthy outsider buys multiple city blocks in a poor area?'

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Erik didn't actually care about individual black people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

Erik didn't actually care about individual black people.

I mean, he cared exactly as much as T'Challa did for 90% of the movie but one of them got a heroic journey to improve and one didn't. That's normally ok but when you're using actual issues like 'uh black people where I'm from are getting murdered daily' and use that as the impetus for a villain's actions you traditionally need to have him actually do bad poo poo and 'cross the line' rather than just be a revolutionary. The dude spent 90% of the movie as a museum robber and a government killer, you know, a backstory guys like Punisher get with no problem.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, he cared exactly as much as T'Challa did for 90% of the movie but one of them got a heroic journey to improve and one didn't. That's normally ok but when you're using actual issues like 'uh black people where I'm from are getting murdered daily' and use that as the impetus for a villain's actions you traditionally need to have him actually do bad poo poo and 'cross the line' rather than just be a revolutionary. The dude spent 90% of the movie as a museum robber and a government killer, you know, a backstory guys like Punisher get with no problem.

He casually murders his black girlfriend the second she becomes an inconvenience, and continues to kill an elder black man, attenpts to kill T'Challa, another black woman, threatens to kill another black woman, destroys a cultural artifact of Wakanda, and is the main reason for their being a civil war in Wakanda.

T'Challa begins the movie with saving a group of black women who have been kidnapped, and angrily calls out the previous kings for their isolationism and refusal to help.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

He casually murders his black girlfriend the second she becomes an inconvenience, and continues to kill an elder black man, attenpts to kill T'Challa, another black woman, threatens to kill another black woman, destroys a cultural artifact of Wakanda, and is the main reason for their being a civil war in Wakanda.

T'Challa begins the movie with saving a group of black women who have been kidnapped, and angrily calls out the previous kings for their isolationism and refusal to help.

If we're just going by body counts...

T'Challa has to be told not to murder a child soldier on that intro run because apparently despite being in Africa he just assumed the scrawny guy looking terrified was absolutely there on his own volition, he and Okoye have an insane car chase in a super packed civilian area, and ends the movie where the entire heroic cast is 100% ready to murder an entire tribe for siding against him and the literal smartest human being on earth in Marvel canon tells a white CIA agent to shoot down planes of her people to stop a shipment of weapons out because she can't think of any other way to stop that plan.

Again, the dude isn't the hero but in a universe where The Punisher and Deadpool are tentpole IPs it's kinda hosed up that a guy got the 'he has to DIE, not just lose but he must be loving killed in this story' treatment when I'd argue the only absolutely 100% villain thing he did in that list is shooting his girlfriend when she was a hostage. The rest of those are Punisher level 'I killed the guy who betrayed my dad and my enemies so they can't come back and stop me' things, and hell the one time he actually DOES 'kill' T'Challa is in a 100% legal ritual that T'Challa himself was a-ok participating in before.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

At least it's not as bad as Spider-Man, which is one flippant murder and tony stark worship session away from being a way more interesting movie.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Seeing as the KSI-Joe Weller fight came up again...here's the first video from XO - a new YT channel from a bunch of reet big Northern git Tubers who are all very good. It's True Geordie (who I've bigged up kind of a lot), WillNE (comments on current Internet trends), Stephen Tries (does comedy skits) and Laurence McKenna (doesn't really have a channel but he's in lots of Geordie's stuff and is actually quite a talented director). Seeing as how Geordie and Lawrence were all over the fight commentating on it and what not, their first video is a documentary on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Fre3cezho

Honestly, it's a brilliant production. Tells both the story of the build-up to the fight but also of how Geordie ended up getting here. Seriously pro...these guys just keep on pushing themselves and making the sort of things you'd expect from like, one of the VICE channels or something.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAG9G35ioT8

I think Ralphthemoviemaker is an entertaining youtube, but he has this issue with these reel it in videos. Some of these points felt like a repeat of his Wonder Woman reel it in. Once again he says he doesn't understand why the tomato-meter is so high and then compares it to the tomato-meter of the Dark Knight and how that movie is a "masterpiece." And goes on to say how he doesn't think these other critics really understand what makes a good superhero movie.

Like Ralph, it's okay if you thought the movie was just okay. Other people don't have to share your opinion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

At least it's not as bad as Spider-Man, which is one flippant murder and tony stark worship session away from being a way more interesting movie.

I think that Homecoming at least went much of the way there by ending the movie with the Vulture alive and at least partially redeemed. We may never get an Adrian Toomes: Blue-Collar Superhero movie, but they at least left the option open.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that Homecoming at least went much of the way there by ending the movie with the Vulture alive and at least partially redeemed. We may never get an Adrian Toomes: Blue-Collar Superhero movie, but they at least left the option open.

Suddenly I want an anti-sinister six made out of villains Spiderman beat up, but decide to do good in his absence instead of going back to evil.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

If we're just going by body counts...

T'Challa has to be told not to murder a child soldier on that intro run because apparently despite being in Africa he just assumed the scrawny guy looking terrified was absolutely there on his own volition, he and Okoye have an insane car chase in a super packed civilian area, and ends the movie where the entire heroic cast is 100% ready to murder an entire tribe for siding against him and the literal smartest human being on earth in Marvel canon tells a white CIA agent to shoot down planes of her people to stop a shipment of weapons out because she can't think of any other way to stop that plan.

Again, the dude isn't the hero but in a universe where The Punisher and Deadpool are tentpole IPs it's kinda hosed up that a guy got the 'he has to DIE, not just lose but he must be loving killed in this story' treatment when I'd argue the only absolutely 100% villain thing he did in that list is shooting his girlfriend when she was a hostage. The rest of those are Punisher level 'I killed the guy who betrayed my dad and my enemies so they can't come back and stop me' things, and hell the one time he actually DOES 'kill' T'Challa is in a 100% legal ritual that T'Challa himself was a-ok participating in before.

It's not about body count, it's about why he kills those people.

Killmonger is the definition of a Hotep.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
What the hell is a Hotep.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sometimes a mummy that fights Brendan Frasier and Bruce Campbell.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rudecyrus posted:

Faux-woke black dudes that fall into regressive afrocentrism, big misogynists, blaming "others" most often LGBT and similar for "harming black people/culture/identity" and bullshit like that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rudecyrus posted:

Good article on the matter:
https://www.theroot.com/hotep-explained-1790854506

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Seeing as the KSI-Joe Weller fight came up again...here's the first video from XO - a new YT channel from a bunch of reet big Northern git Tubers who are all very good. It's True Geordie (who I've bigged up kind of a lot), WillNE (comments on current Internet trends), Stephen Tries (does comedy skits) and Laurence McKenna (doesn't really have a channel but he's in lots of Geordie's stuff and is actually quite a talented director). Seeing as how Geordie and Lawrence were all over the fight commentating on it and what not, their first video is a documentary on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Fre3cezho

Honestly, it's a brilliant production. Tells both the story of the build-up to the fight but also of how Geordie ended up getting here. Seriously pro...these guys just keep on pushing themselves and making the sort of things you'd expect from like, one of the VICE channels or something.

What was this documentary supposed to be about because it's titled KSI vs Joe Weller Documentary but it was more about that True Geordie guy. I don't really know who KSI is or what he does and I've never heard of Joe Weller, I don't know what they do on youtube and I don't know why they decided to have that bout. After watching the documentary that's still pretty true. I do know True Geordie wants to be a sports commentator, got his start on youtube by going off on someone, is friends with both the fighters but much more friendly with Joe Weller, has/had a job deep sea diving and made videos of that and once won a fight when he was 8. Which is fine if you want the documentary to be about True Geordie but I don't think is very good if it's a KSI vs Joe Weller documentary.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Is there a German compound word to describe that feeling when you are actually curious about a thing but also don't give a poo poo? Coz I'm that at the moment.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Heh, I dunno about a German compound word but I get what you mean. I guess I give a lil' bit of a poo poo because I'm interested in what things are like at the very top of the YouTube world...KSI's back up there for sure now (and old scandals like the Eurogamer thing aside he is considerably better than Logan Paul...yes, I know that's not saying a lot), Joe Weller isn't someone I fully follow but has always come across as a pretty genuine guy, and Geordie's very good at getting it all across. I do watch quite a lot of said people for my sins, I have to confess. Can be a bit of a guilty pleasure.

bessantj posted:

What was this documentary supposed to be about because it's titled KSI vs Joe Weller Documentary but it was more about that True Geordie guy. I don't really know who KSI is or what he does and I've never heard of Joe Weller, I don't know what they do on youtube and I don't know why they decided to have that bout. After watching the documentary that's still pretty true. I do know True Geordie wants to be a sports commentator, got his start on youtube by going off on someone, is friends with both the fighters but much more friendly with Joe Weller, has/had a job deep sea diving and made videos of that and once won a fight when he was 8. Which is fine if you want the documentary to be about True Geordie but I don't think is very good if it's a KSI vs Joe Weller documentary.

I think it's trying to draw various parallels...I rather liked it, although tbh I'm already a big fan of Geordie's and I'm loving seeing him make stuff like this when he was previously just ranting about football from an iPhone, but I see where this criticism is coming from, as Geordie does certainly wanna be that Joe Rogan-type figure. It would have been nicer to have a bit more on the guys and why they actually fell out (they used to be friends) on reflection but it's not bad at all for a first shot.

It seems as though we're eventually going to get videos about this whole event from the perspective of the two boxers eventually, so I guess this is just Geordie's perspective rather than meaning to be a full overview of all the things that went on from all angles. It's fun to follow the impact that it's had on YouTube as a whole now that you've even got guys like MatPat following the wave and trying to get views from it, all sorts of calling out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfN3wZDaiv4

And of course, reactions! Lots and lots of reactions, including one from the winner himself. To be fair to KSI, from this video and many others he clearly took the whole thing very seriously. Not that Joe didn't - far from it - but KSI certainly executed...it's just that Joe for whatever reason didn't really? It wasn't exactly a technical classic (like, the furthest thing from it) but JJ did get some good rudimentaries. Joe kinda clammed up though and made it a bit easy for KSI...he's not done much about the fight, or much at all since. Will eventually be curious to see his perspective or what happened.

Because KSI likes playing the heel, he's full on into "YouTube boxing champ" mode and is already planning a second bout. The current favourite for that is someone with actual amateur boxing experience...might be a wee bit harder. So the big YouTube boxing trend continues and Rewind 2018 will be chocked full of it. This is way too many words about something that I'm sure the thread has a questionable level of interest in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's a new Jimquisition, and it's not about loot boxes! :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u3Kf274iOk

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Heh, I dunno about a German compound word but I get what you mean. I guess I give a lil' bit of a poo poo because I'm interested in what things are like at the very top of the YouTube world...KSI's back up there for sure now (and old scandals like the Eurogamer thing aside he is considerably better than Logan Paul...yes, I know that's not saying a lot), Joe Weller isn't someone I fully follow but has always come across as a pretty genuine guy, and Geordie's very good at getting it all across. I do watch quite a lot of said people for my sins, I have to confess. Can be a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I think it's trying to draw various parallels...I rather liked it, although tbh I'm already a big fan of Geordie's and I'm loving seeing him make stuff like this when he was previously just ranting about football from an iPhone, but I see where this criticism is coming from, as Geordie does certainly wanna be that Joe Rogan-type figure. It would have been nicer to have a bit more on the guys and why they actually fell out (they used to be friends) on reflection but it's not bad at all for a first shot.

It seems as though we're eventually going to get videos about this whole event from the perspective of the two boxers eventually, so I guess this is just Geordie's perspective rather than meaning to be a full overview of all the things that went on from all angles. It's fun to follow the impact that it's had on YouTube as a whole now that you've even got guys like MatPat following the wave and trying to get views from it, all sorts of calling out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfN3wZDaiv4

And of course, reactions! Lots and lots of reactions, including one from the winner himself. To be fair to KSI, from this video and many others he clearly took the whole thing very seriously. Not that Joe didn't - far from it - but KSI certainly executed...it's just that Joe for whatever reason didn't really? It wasn't exactly a technical classic (like, the furthest thing from it) but JJ did get some good rudimentaries. Joe kinda clammed up though and made it a bit easy for KSI...he's not done much about the fight, or much at all since. Will eventually be curious to see his perspective or what happened.

Because KSI likes playing the heel, he's full on into "YouTube boxing champ" mode and is already planning a second bout. The current favourite for that is someone with actual amateur boxing experience...might be a wee bit harder. So the big YouTube boxing trend continues and Rewind 2018 will be chocked full of it. This is way too many words about something that I'm sure the thread has a questionable level of interest in.

I thought the whole idea of the fight was quite interesting and it appears that plenty of people want to see this stuff (KSI said the fight has had a total of 25 million views? That's huge.) and I agree with True Geordie that Youtube will become important to sports broadcasting. I haven't watched the whole fight because from what I saw on the docco it looked awful Weller was obviously extremely nervous, as a result he tired himself out quicker, I don't know if his corner knew what they were doing and if they did give him advice he clearly didn't take it. It would have been more apt to name the fight KSI v Human Punchbag. As I haven't seen the full fight I don't know if there was a second commentator because I didn't think True Geordie was that good, if I had my eyes closed I wouldn't have known what was going on. Fair enough if he doesn't want to be a blow-by-blow commentator and instead be a Joe Rogan colour commentator but he didn't manage to pull that off. He has a good voice and look for it though so I don't think it's impossible.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Does anyone have any favorite prose film critics? Film critics who do prose? The people who write about movies with the words and not the sounds and pictures.

Does anyone have any that they would recommend?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Been a long time since I watched a vlog, but I always like hearing Kyle talk about things and wanted to hear his takes on Black Panther along with Jourdain (who is wearing a sweet Night in the Woods shirt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ZH2CTQ5sY

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

Been a long time since I watched a vlog, but I always like hearing Kyle talk about things and wanted to hear his takes on Black Panther along with Jourdain (who is wearing a sweet Night in the Woods shirt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ZH2CTQ5sY

"This is how vlogs work, right"

Kyle and Jourdain are the best.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

I thought the whole idea of the fight was quite interesting and it appears that plenty of people want to see this stuff (KSI said the fight has had a total of 25 million views? That's huge.) and I agree with True Geordie that Youtube will become important to sports broadcasting. I haven't watched the whole fight because from what I saw on the docco it looked awful Weller was obviously extremely nervous, as a result he tired himself out quicker, I don't know if his corner knew what they were doing and if they did give him advice he clearly didn't take it. It would have been more apt to name the fight KSI v Human Punchbag. As I haven't seen the full fight I don't know if there was a second commentator because I didn't think True Geordie was that good, if I had my eyes closed I wouldn't have known what was going on. Fair enough if he doesn't want to be a blow-by-blow commentator and instead be a Joe Rogan colour commentator but he didn't manage to pull that off. He has a good voice and look for it though so I don't think it's impossible.

Yeah, the fight was a very big deal - I think the 25m number is a combination of both KSI and Weller's channels streaming it + a regular upload of the fight itself. Not bad going tbh. All told, it seems like KSI is on the road to becoming one of the biggest personalities on YouTube again. He also has the benefit of nearly killing his career once before too, so perhaps he won't be filming any dead bodies in the woods or anything.

I think Geordie's commentary was a lil' bit too biased in favour of Joe Weller (he said as much). He had Laurence (his friend + podcast co-host + director of this doco) commentating with him...considering their lack of experience commentating on boxing (or really much aside from a few footy matches and their live "Kick Off" show which is really more like watching a match with mates than actual commentary) it wasn't too bad - tbh with the likes of Jim Watt commentating on boxing over here I'm kinda used to really poo poo boxing commentary lol. It did feel more like the action was being riffed on at times more than accurately described, and certainly quite raw. Not terrible, but plenty of room for improvement.

Yeah...Weller just froze out there unfortunately, which was a bit of a shame - it seemed like he barely threw, his head movement wasn't really there...credit to KSI for definitely training/sparring well for someone who's never done this before at all, but it seemed like aside from a couple of spurts, Weller didn't really do anything. KSI actually threw jabs, body shots and so on and only after a couple of jabs it seemed like Weller was just there to be hit constantly. Weird thing is that Weller has actually done things like this before although not nearly on such a stage...from the fight you'd have thought it to be the other way around.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OSW released their most recent review which is incredibly :nws: about the porno that Sunny made. I'm not linking it but it's basically the most depressing thing that they've ever seen and she has just been on an awful downward spiral for about 17 years now. The saddest thing was that when she was inducted into the WWE hall of fame in 2011 and at the RAW 15th anniversary she looked really happy and healthy but she's basically aged 15 years since the HOF induction.

They did announce their next story arc though which should be a fun ride; it's the endless car crash that was the Lex Express in the WWF.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy cow look what Allison found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3at8cylnJc

...the end of Quantum Leap made me VERY sad as a teenager okay. This is healing.

Also I found some of my Quantum Leap books. Some are actually pretty good!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara reviewed the last comic of the first volume of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood... and at one pivotal moment it managed to disgust him at a level I haven't seen since he reviewed Holy Terror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrmPN3GDYA

(Content warning: discussion of suicide.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Holy cow look what Allison found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3at8cylnJc

...the end of Quantum Leap made me VERY sad as a teenager okay. This is healing.

Also I found some of my Quantum Leap books. Some are actually pretty good!

This is so wild. I remember reading about that ending around 1998 when I first got on the internet. The end of Quantum Leap was way up there with Dinosaurs in terms of bullshit endings that confused young me and made me wonder how there wasn’t something after that.

I’m glad Allison got to get the scoop on that one. Maybe another Quantum Leap interview is in her future if word of this gets around. Her interviews are really good too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
History Buffs did Gettysburg which was a favorite movie of mine when we had to watch it in elementary school for history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1f9vliwiA
Its mostly focused on the battle itself and not about the Civil War as a whole so a bunch of Chuds in the comments are like "I'm glad you didn't choose sides in this review and get political man!"

Also :lol: at all the fake beards in this movie

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Babish collabs with a Chef by the name of Carl Casper. He'll go far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbMTukAJskQ

• Locked thread