Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are you going to get a weapon at any point, for those rare occasions when you run out of magicka without a levelup in the tank, or is melee just too unpredictable?

No point when you can mainline magicka potions like no tomorrow. Mana should literally never be an issue outside of running out very temporarily, forcing you to use terrible spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

Are you going to get a weapon at any point, for those rare occasions when you run out of magicka without a levelup in the tank, or is melee just too unpredictable?

I have at least 3 options for when I run out of magicka (assuming, as you said, that I don't just have a level up in my pocket):

1) Run off and regain it, using shouts or a potion of invisibility to cover my retreat if necessary
2) Pull out a staff and blast away (particularly Jyrik's staff to get magicka back faster in the meantime)
3) Drink some potions

Often I have more options than that. Being a good mage is all about having enormous numbers of contingency plans and backup plans and backup contingency plans and contingency backup plans.

Using a melee weapon to deal damage would be inferior to all of those options most of the time, and would also come with these MAJOR downsides:
1) Puts me in melee range where I can be killed in 1-3 hits, forcing me to restart this whoooooole let's play (a particular danger since when you're swinging a weapon you can't move freely and I wouldn't have a shield)
2) Grants me incredibly rapid one-handed skill experience, which would make me level up extremely fast and thus face tougher enemies without actually getting stronger at magic

Now that said, I MIGHT get a melee weapon if it has some kind of actual benefit to it. One of these might be useful:
1) Absorb magicka, to just refuel myself in a few swings and then go back to blasting
2) Turn undead, one or two swings to do easy crowd control if I can't cast turn undead for some reason
3) Banish daedra, one swing to cripple enemy conjurers.

MinistryofLard posted:

Morthal is actually one of my favourite holds in Skyrim and it's mostly because the Jarl is great. The major quest in the hold is pretty cool and atmospheric as well.

I would like it if any of the 12 interesting things about it were followed up on, but they're nor. Also that quest makes everyone in town look like a complete idiot.

Melth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 19, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I also like Morthal and was disappointed that the game didn't have a player home in it. Hearthfire added one, but it's way out in the swamps instead of in town.

In the video you mention that there aren't any particularly dangerous enemies in the swamp. Not true, chaurus can spawn there, one of the few places they show up outside of falmer caves.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Almost everyone in this entire game is an idiot, though. Like, I have to stop and think about it. I guess some of the mages have been okay. And the Jarl of Whiterun hasn't said or done anything head-bashingly stupid. So that's a start, I guess. I dunno, it's hard to tell with Bethesda sometimes. I can't decide if this level of writing is the best they can do, or if the writers are yoked by the publisher or something. I've started playing again thanks to this LP, will probably play through Dawnguard as the vampires this time, since I've never actually done it. I can't wait

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

EggsAisle posted:

And the Jarl of Whiterun hasn't said or done anything head-bashingly stupid. So that's a start, I guess. I dunno, it's hard to tell with Bethesda sometimes. I can't decide if this level of writing is the best they can do, or if the writers are yoked by the publisher or something.

A) Baalgruf's stupid is the kind that only becomes apparent when looking at the whole picture, as opposed to any individual line. Give him a bit.

B) Most of the good writers left between Morrowind and Oblivion, and the rest left between Oblivion and Skyrim.

C) Bethesda technically self-publishes through Bethesda Softworks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm just going through the list and trying to think of any major or kinda-major character in Skyrim who never does anything mind blowingly stupid. Let's see...

Scratch the whole College of Winterhold off the list, for letting Ancano hang around and stick his nose into everything.

Scratch the Companions, too, for falling into more than one obvious trap, and how exactly the hell did the Silver Hand... y'know what, nevermind. Let's move on.

I'm not even going to discuss the Thieves Guild. Everyone there is in a bizarre competition to see who can be the most pantsonheadingly retarded.

Not murdering the loving clown the first time he opens his mouth disqualifies the entire Dork Botherhood. Notwithstanding Astrid's curious habit of sending dozens of nameless assassins, one by one by one, to be cut down by the Last Dragonborn the way giants swat wolves.

Speaking of the Last Dragonborn, how exactly the hell did he get invited to a Thalmor hobnob party? And then why exactly the hell wasn't he being closely watched and was able to disappear for the ~2 hours it must have taken to slaughter a dozen guards, clean out valuable dossiers and free a prisoner? And then once they finally DO figure out what's going down, their cunning plan to remedy this is to hold an associate hostage and send two soldiers and a wizard to procure the surrender of the dude who just slaughtered like eight soldiers and five wizards a half hour ago. It's not like this was the result of a perfectly executed plan by a genius mastermind, because the plan was in fact devised by...

Delphine, who spends the entire game being loudly and vehemently wrong about basically everything. She'd fit right into any Youtube comments section.

Then there's the Greybeards, who Melth has discussed in some detail already.

I actually give Falk Firebeard a lot of credit, he seems to know his poo poo, but boy howdy did he drop the ball on the whole Potema cult thing, ignoring several warnings something weird was going on, in Skyrim, where you can throw a rock in any direction and hit three groups of necromancers or cultists or necromancer cultists.

Both Tullius and Ulfric, if they happen to have THE LAST GODDAMNED DRAGONBORN enlist on their side, proceed to deploy him in hilariously :psyduck: ways. Some bad.

Some of the jarls are well meaning but profoundly stupid buffoons: Elisif, Igmund, Laila. Others are assholes and also profoundly stupid buffoons: Skald, Siddgeir. Idgrod is cool to TLD and quite perceptive, yet her hold is teetering on the brink of open rebellion against her, to the point that her own housecarl is plotting to have her removed. Completely ineffectually, because he's an idiot too, but still.

Balgruuf probably really is the closest thing to an intelligent major character in the game: he's proactive about dealing with the dragon threat, disregards all the bullshit advice Avenicci tries to sell him on anything that isn't strictly financial plus the Stormcloak bullshit his idiot and half-treasonous brother is constantly hawking, he's very well aware that Ulfric doesn't give a drat about anything but Ulfric, and he's shrewd enough that when the Dragonborn appears in his hold he instantly Thanes that dude up and makes sure to get on his good side.* Let's just not talk about his fathering skills, yeah?

* (There's also the fact he's the only jarl who names the housecarl he's assigning you, suggesting he knows Lydia and selected her in particular for the job, and the fact if you kill Lydia and thugs come after you they'll be sent by Hrongar, which has provoked fan speculation Lydia is his bastard daughter or something. Which if so is actually an extra bit of cleverness on Balgruuf's part, appointing his own close-ish relative as TLD's housecarl.)

e: Melth, if I got into anything in this post you'd rather save for later, say so and I'll edit it out, sorry!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 19, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The talking nostrils isn't too stupid. He might actually be fairly smart, the smartest of his kind by far for sure (might not be a very high bar to clear).

Eric the Mauve posted:

D, who spends the entire game being loudly and vehemently wrong about basically everything. She'd fit right into any Youtube comments section.
Harsh, but true. We serve the dragonborn forever. Now do as we demand or we refuse to talk to you! :qq:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Charles Martinet is the best and most competent character in the game for sure. It's a shame you can't end that one quest by siding with him and are stuck with an unfinished quest forever if you're not a goddamned idiot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I actually think there's an excellent chance Paarthurnax is running exactly the long con Delphine thinks he is. So that would be one thing she maybe, possibly, conceivably, isn't completely wrong about. The acorn the blind squirrel tripped over.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I actually think there's an excellent chance Paarthurnax is running exactly the long con Delphine thinks he is. So that would be one thing she maybe, possibly, conceivably, isn't completely wrong about. The acorn the blind squirrel tripped over.

Regardless, the way of the voice is a insipid nonsense which has crippled humanity for thousands of years in a world where elves, not dragons, are the true villains. If the greybeards and their pal ALL need to die to free the nords from the grip of their ‘philosophy’, it would be a very small price to pay.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Melth posted:

Regardless, the way of the voice is a insipid nonsense which has crippled humanity for thousands of years in a world where elves, not dragons, are the true villains. If the greybeards and their pal ALL need to die to free the nords from the grip of their ‘philosophy’, it would be a very small price to pay.

Really the ideal solution, I think, is to just kill the Blades, and the Greybeards, and if not kill then at least kick out Paarthurnax. Tell him to go make friends or something. He's only marginally more useful than the Greybeards.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

YellerBill posted:

Really the ideal solution, I think, is to just kill the Blades, and the Greybeards, and if not kill then at least kick out Paarthurnax. Tell him to go make friends or something. He's only marginally more useful than the Greybeards.

Killing him would be far far safer if you're not going to be his buddy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Never make a deal with a dragon.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
I am completely Paarthurnax's buddy. Way of the Voice is good sense for dragons. And dragons alone.

The rest of the cast can be comfortably reduced to ash piles.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
To be fair to Paarthurnax, the Way of the Voice makes perfect sense for him. Regardless of whether he actually is running the long con or not, his plans for the long term had to involve buddying up with the Nords because he was never going to dethrone Alduin on his own - it takes a mortal to do that. Which means he'd have to deny his own Words - Paar-Thur-Nax translates to Ambition-Tyranny-Cruelty, which does not suggest the nicest sort of personage. It's hardly his fault that the Nords who subsequently came to ask him about his philosophy on the Voice chose to apply those teachings to themselves literally, either. There might even be the makings of a decent tragedy in there, had Bethesda chosen to explore it like that - you can sort of see the reason why people act the way they do, but you can also see how it leads to the nonsense that you now have to deal with as the player character.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fortunately you can solve most problems in Skyrim by shouting at people.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Arcomage posted:

Paar-Thur-Nax translates to Ambition-Tyranny-Cruelty

Wait, that's what Paathurnax translates into? Well, that makes Melth's case pretty well there.

That settles it. Just scour Skyrim clean and start over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

YellerBill posted:

...kick him out? I don't think where he lives is exactly prime real estate, not sure I get the point. Besides I think he leaves at the end anyway if you don't kill him.

Jurgen Windcaller kicked all of the other tongues collective asses, so the Way of the Voice has that going for it, at least. Of course, that was likely just because he'd been taught by a dragon, and nothing to do with the philosophy directly.

Shame the College of the Voice Tiber Septim set up was just a scam.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I like the theory that Ambition-Tyranny-Cruelty refers to what Pathuurnax is doing to the Dragons rather than any humans he could rule over - he's forcing the Dragons to abandon their true nature and follow the Way of the Voice, which is pretty tyranic and cruel to them all things considered.

I don't know how well that stands up though.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Staltran posted:

...kick him out? I don't think where he lives is exactly prime real estate, not sure I get the point. Besides I think he leaves at the end anyway if you don't kill him.

Oh he can keep living on the mountain, I meant more like "get him to stop teaching humans the Way of the Voice"

He can keep teaching dragons to chill out though that's basically a community service

e: while we're at it dig jurgen windcaller back up and kill him again

e2: I got to Season Unending on the first character i've done the main quest on in probably a literal year and oh my god i forgot how much i hate that quest

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Wait, that's what Paathurnax translates into? Well, that makes Melth's case pretty well there.

That settles it. Just scour Skyrim clean and start over.

Close. It's actually Ambition Overlord Cruelty.

So far as you might render Dovahkiin = Dragon Hunter Born = Born Dragon Hunter, or Born to Hunt Dragons, Paarthurnax might be understood as Aspiring Cruel Overlord.

Just to be clear, Paarthurnax's long con, if indeed that's what he's doing, is:

1. I wish to defeat Alduin and rule the world myself.
2. I can't do that, but I know the prophecies which say the Last Dragonborn can, and will. Ergo,
3. I will position myself as a reformed dragon supporting the humans/Nords against Alduin, and teach them never to use the Thu'um aggressively, thus keeping them all nice and weak, plus
4. I can befriend the Last Dragonborn when he shows up, then
5. He kills Alduin, then
6. Some very short (by dragon standards) time later, he dies, because his body is mortal,
7. Then there's nothing preventing me from dominating the world.

Paarthurnax was probably expecting the Last Dragonborn to show up during the old Dragon War--he wouldn't have known what the hell the Brass/Red/White Towers were--but when the Nord heroes marooned Alduin in time, Paarthurnax figured (as he directly affirms in-game) that eventually Alduin would resurface at the same place and then the LDB would turn up.

The fact Delphine is constantly such an over-the-top dick to you whereas Paarthurnax is constantly polite and thoughtful kind of masks the fact that to kill him or not is a legitimately difficult riddle, because it is very very possible this really is the game Paarthurnax is playing.

The best evidence that Paarthurnax is genuine is actually that if you do decide to kill him, he doesn't flee and doesn't put up much of a fight, suggesting he regards Alduin's defeat as more important than his own soul.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 20, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even if he's not genuine he's honestly such a minor threat that pre-emptively killing him just in case feels really overkill. Like, Alduin has a bunch of bullshit powers that make him a real threat but Parthurnaax is just a dragon. You don't need a dragonborn to kill dragons, just some skilled fighters.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True but no sooner is Alduin dead than Paarthurnax is gathering dragons to accept his leadership. A bunch of dragons working together-ish, now that's the kind of poo poo the Dragon War was made of and much more difficult to deal with.

(Also, he's not Alduin but Paarthurnax was pretty drat high up in the dragon hierarchy in the old days.)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
But he's not invulnerable without Dragonrend like Alduin, which is a huge difference - and Alduin is almost certainly the only one who knows the dragon-rez shout, which is even more important. And there's a bunch of dragons, sure, but I'd assume far fewer than there were during the dragon war. Even if we assume Alduin resurrected every dragon in Skyrim, some dragons left Skyrim after the Dragon War and wouldn't have been revived, and the LDB ate a bunch of the ones who did get revived. And there's no dragon cult anymore. I doubt the dragons could take Skyrim over again, let alone all of Tamriel, and certainly not all of Nirn.

Also, did Paarthurnax even know of the prophecy? Reman had the wall built, so it was known by the end of the First Era, but we don't know exactly when the Moth Priests/someone else got it from the scrolls.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He might have created the prophecy. Considering some random dude can apparently write into multiple scrolls without being near them a powerful dragon should have no problem.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

He might have created the prophecy. Considering some random dude can apparently write into multiple scrolls without being near them a powerful dragon should have no problem.

Seems unlikely. The nords in the dragon war apparently were successful about keeping that dragon in the dark about a lot of things.

To me it seems like 100% of the actual evidence in game from his words and actions and what we learn about him indicates that he really did turn over a new leaf. The only ‘evidence’ against him is his name

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
His response if you tell him you've been sent to kill him makes it pretty clear that he's not deep-dogging you. Or if he is, he is really loving good at it.

He also has some choice words about prophecies in general if you start talking about being destined to kill Alduin.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also love how Arngeir is all "yeah but maybe Alduin has appeared because the world's SUPPOSED to end now, so maybe you shouldn't kill him."

Yeah, guy, brilliant as your reasoning is, apparently Akatosh disagrees with you, because hey look a Dragonborn happened to appear at the same time Alduin did.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is this the time to mention Alduin is a really loving stupid villain?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'd put Commander Maro in the "not-dumb" category. The dude does not gently caress around when it comes to wiping out his nemesis either way you play the Dark Brotherhood section.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The funny thing about Alduin is that he is loving terrified of the Last Dragonborn. He goes around raising other dragons, orders them to attack the LDB and then rushes off to some urgent appointment. He refuses to ever engage the LDB directly, and tries to sneak up and kill him while he's helpless at the Time Wound, then tucks tail and runs for it when the LDB regains his senses in time to start handing him his rear end. The whole reason the LDB needs Dragonrend is because Alduin is too much of a coward to face him.

He's stupid too, but the cowardice--thinly disguised as arrogance--is what really stands out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Alduin has a sort of mythic quality to him that I dig. A monster who feeds on the souls of the dead in the afterlife and will reappear in the end times is very compelling. Of course because it's a video game you prevent the apocalypse but I'm still very willing to read him as a character out of an epic poem rather than out of a modern novel, and him having very pronounced vices such as cowardice plays well into that.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

cheetah7071 posted:

Alduin has a sort of mythic quality to him that I dig. A monster who feeds on the souls of the dead in the afterlife and will reappear in the end times is very compelling. Of course because it's a video game you prevent the apocalypse but I'm still very willing to read him as a character out of an epic poem rather than out of a modern novel, and him having very pronounced vices such as cowardice plays well into that.

I like him because he seems like an actual important threat in that he wants to do something much worse than just destroying the world by eating the souls of people who've earned a blissful afterlife.

In contrast I'm not sure why we should even care if vampires blot out the sun. Would that even inconvenience people in a world where giant trees grow underground, midnight in caves is bright enough to snipe by, and vampires are less hazardous than like 90% of the fauna you come across while strolling on the main roads?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Well speaking (like a week ago) of the main quest, it's about time to continue it:

Days 14-15 Feim and Fortune

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If cave-aged cheese is good, I'm sure cave-tomb aged cheese is also a thing. It's not like the draugr are licking it.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If cave-aged cheese is good, I'm sure cave-tomb aged cheese is also a thing. It's not like the draugr are licking it.

Ya but they still put their corpse-y hands all over it. Gross.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That just introduces the maggots and fungi that give it its flavor! Everyone knows that maggot cheese has the best flavors

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Slaan posted:

That just introduces the maggots and fungi that give it its flavor! Everyone knows that maggot cheese has the best flavors

Wasn't kwama meat a staple in Morrowind? Clearly, dunmer have taste.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

my name is Draug
and wen its nite
and both the moons
are shiyning brite,
my dragun-preest
asleep at ease-
I stay up late.
I lik the cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Slaan posted:

Isn't casu marzu still kind of illegal though for food hygiene reasons? When half the time, your product is deliberately sold with the live maggots still in it, you've got some issues with guaranteeing food safety.