Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Sure, we may have locked up asylum seekers in tropical death rape camps but at least we were in power when we did it, check mate leftards.

That's what voters want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like the point is getting lost which is that we should develop a strategic nuclear arsenal and test it in Perth

Do you mean something like an anti-neutron bomb that is harmless to people and only targets suburban sprawl?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Pretty compelling that in our modern age where these things have ascended to greater importance that the Liberal party has experienced greater success in the electorate than anyone else.

Yes I'm sure that'a nothing to do with rampant corruption and unprecedented media bias at all!

:fuckoff:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

That's what voters want.

Australians are idiots, hth.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Pretty compelling that in our modern age where these things have ascended to greater importance that the Liberal party has experienced greater success in the electorate than anyone else.

agreed, kill the electorate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Yes I'm sure that'a nothing to do with rampant corruption and unprecedented media bias at all!

:fuckoff:

I too blame everyone but myself when things aren't going my way.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I like to ignore things even when presented with evidence that they do, in fact, exist and cause a measurable impact

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Agreed, we can’t possibly ascertain which issues people are voting for, we should probably adopt the entire policy platform of whichever party last won an election just in case

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Senor Tron posted:

SA Premier is currently walking about our office doing some election photo op stuff. Think they are very much the underdogs given how much they need to gain over the last election just to keep their current number of seats but hope SA Labor win, they're doing good stuff lately.

Just out of interest, which office? Premier and Cabinet?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Agreed, we can’t possibly ascertain which issues people are voting for, we should probably adopt the entire policy platform of whichever party last won an election just in case

Well bringing asylum seekers on shore is split 50/50 but I bet I could convince a further 20% to leave them offshore with a nice tax break.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm pretty sure 20% could be convinced if presented with factual data regarding integration and economic benefit vs bogan dogwhistling.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Well bringing asylum seekers on shore is split 50/50 but I bet I could convince a further 20% to leave them offshore with a nice tax break.

offshore banking units but refugees

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I'm pretty sure 20% could be convinced if presented with factual data regarding integration and economic benefit vs bogan dogwhistling.

We've literally been doing this for what, 20 years now?

It hasn't worked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Aesculus posted:

We've literally been doing this for what, 20 years now?

It hasn't worked.

Have you not noticed the bulk of the media being dominated by white supremacist christians and hammering the same nationalist sentiment or something?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you think a Boomer gives a gently caress about facts more than MY OPINION then lmao.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

Have you not noticed the bulk of the media being dominated by white supremacist christians and hammering the same nationalist sentiment or something?

I have. I just don't see a way out of it without literally guillotining the entire Murdoch family

I mean realistically if we're going to be ~pragmatic responsible sensible moderates~ I'd rather have medicare and offshore processing than no medicare and offshore processing given that we haven't exactly been successful in making medicare and integration a viable option against the unstoppable three-word slogan bullshit we're up against.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Boomers will believe what ever the gently caress Channel 7 tells them to.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Boomers will believe what ever the gently caress Channel 7 tells them to.

No. Channel 7 tells them what they already want to hear after 50 years of developing an unflinching position. If it stopped, they'd watch something else or use the internet to locate ideological reinforcement.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nationalise the boats

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

nationalise the boats

Unironically this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

No. Channel 7 tells them what they already want to hear after 50 years of developing an unflinching position. If it stopped, they'd watch something else or use the internet to locate ideological reinforcement.

Of course! That explains the more recent, measurable rise of white nationalism, and the overton window generally shifting violently to the right since the rise of tabloid journalism and coordinated messaging between the Liberal Party and Top Liberal Party Donors Kerry Stokes, Rupert Murdoch and Gina Rhinehart, via their respective media outlets,

oh wait no it doesn't, you're an idiot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you think the news director at seven doesn't just do things for ratings then I don't know what to tell you.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you think Kerry Stokes isn't running as much of a narrative as Rupert Murdoch, you need to take a breather from all the fart huffing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Would it help if I called you a name? That seems to be your mode of communication.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Take me seriously you fart huffing idiots

- the Australian greens (aka migrants from Stonnington and Booroondara)

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/byo-binoculars

quote:

Former Liberal senator, turned Australian Conservative, Cory Bernardi told RN Breakfast on Tuesday morning ministers are sleeping with their staff. However, he declined to name names.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

honest question: in your opinion, should political parties champion a specific, consistent set of values and policies or instead adopt the predominant view in the electorate?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

My mother, for some reason, was convinced that Warren Truss was loving his much younger (male) chief of staff.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

honest question: in your opinion, should political parties champion a specific, consistent set of values and policies or instead adopt the predominant view in the electorate?

Even if the latter weren't a morally defunct position, I wouldn't say that putting muslims in torture camps is as supported a position as people are assuming here.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I don't think it's pragmatism to simply chase what the voters want when the other side of politics is influencing and guiding what the voters want. Labor seems to think the relationship is voters->policies and that it's a one-way relationship. The result is Labor sliding to the right then the Liberals sliding further to the right. The Overton Window has shifted dramatically and I blame Labor for simply pandering to the worst aspects of the swing voter rather than trying to guide the political discourse. They are trying to out-Liberal the Liberals and it is doomed to fail.

This is why I couldn't join Labor and try to change from within. There doesn't seem to be even the attempt to seize the narrative, but to simply observe the voter and chase. The entire time the Liberals have been shifting the political opinions of society, and Labor has only been responding. The rise of Corbyn shows that standing up for bold left positions and being a figurehead can attract a lot of support seemingly from out of nowhere. It's because you normalise left positions in the minds of voters, and show that those positions are not fringe. In Australia we have had once-fringe right-wing positions become mainstream. We need to push it back in the other direction and Labor is simply not doing it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP's right, there's no point in any left wing policy at all. Might as well just fold Labor into the LNP now and get it over and done with. That way Labor can stop pretending to give a gently caress about workers rights.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Even if the latter weren't a morally defunct position, I wouldn't say that putting muslims in torture camps is as supported a position as people are assuming here.

It is supported by 50% of poll respondents.

Parties should champion their ideology, but their reason for existence under parliamentary democracy is governance in accordance with the electorate's wishes.

I'd offer a scenario to consider. If a violent working class revolution were to occur in Australia this instant, how many foreigners do you think would survive?

AgentF posted:

I don't think it's pragmatism to simply chase what the voters want when the other side of politics is influencing and guiding what the voters want. Labor seems to think the relationship is voters->policies and that it's a one-way relationship. The result is Labor sliding to the right then the Liberals sliding further to the right. The Overton Window has shifted dramatically and I blame Labor for simply pandering to the worst aspects of the swing voter rather than trying to guide the political discourse. They are trying to out-Liberal the Liberals and it is doomed to fail.

This is why I couldn't join Labor and try to change from within. There doesn't seem to be even the attempt to seize the narrative, but to simply observe the voter and chase. The entire time the Liberals have been shifting the political opinions of society, and Labor has only been responding. The rise of Corbyn shows that standing up for bold left positions and being a figurehead can attract a lot of support seemingly from out of nowhere. It's because you normalise left positions in the minds of voters, and show that those positions are not fringe. In Australia we have had once-fringe right-wing positions become mainstream. We need to push it back in the other direction and Labor is simply not doing it.

We have also had once fringe left wing positions become prominent as well. I don't think people should forget that the ALP were the great liberaliser of the Australian economy and it has been policy for 45 years now to play ball with business and promote "balanced" private-public solutions to problems.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 20, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

JBP's right, there's no point in any left wing policy at all. Might as well just fold Labor into the LNP now and get it over and done with. That way Labor can stop pretending to give a gently caress about workers rights.

Finally. Thank you.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

a quick poll of people who work in my office/warehouse would be:

2 x opposed to camps
3 x in favour of camps
1 x thinks the muslims are planning to take over australia and fly helicopters around the city playing "muslim prayer music" to prepare us for their religion when they take over soon.

If we also take into account past staff that would push the "in favour of camps" number to about 10, and also throw in one "hitler did nothing wrong" style white supremacist.

You cannot deny these numbers it is a very scientific poll.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

a quick poll of people who work in my office/warehouse would be:

2 x opposed to camps
3 x in favour of camps
1 x thinks the muslims are planning to take over australia and fly helicopters around the city playing "muslim prayer music" to prepare us for their religion when they take over soon.

If we also take into account past staff that would push the "in favour of camps" number to about 10, and also throw in one "hitler did nothing wrong" style white supremacist.

You cannot deny these numbers it is a very scientific poll.

How is life in the Honourable Michael Danby's office anyway?

E: I assume Hitler man was the former greens staffer that left thirty pieces of silver on Gross's desk.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

How is life in the Honourable Michael Danby's office anyway?

less good since they banned all the free sex, but the free home upgrades & utes are still good!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AgentF posted:

It's not just Corbyn anymore either. The Dems have had a number of upset wins in the US by campaigning on local issues, while the GoP are focused on lovely rhetoric and canned talking points that worked so well for them against the hollow 2016 Dem campaign. If labor continue to run as a pack of empty suits, they're going to remain vulnerable to the kind of identity politics that swept them away in 2013.

If Labor let their feet touch the ground and stop pandering to the media and the Liberal's manufactured narrative quite so much, they'll find themselves in a much stronger position with an electorate that are frankly sick of ID Pol, of party politics, of 100% of the focus being on issues that don't really fix the problems that affect them day to day.

I cite this a lot, and while they're so far a huge disappointment to me, WA Labor ran on a platform of achievable goals and improvements to every day people's lives in 2016 and totally romped it in. They tried to avoid the drama that personified the WA Liberals and PHON at the time, and this resonated with the public.

All Federal Labor need is a platform of honest and achievable change, and to stick to that platform. It doesn't have to be to the left of Lenin, and they don't need to target right wing Liberals or Left wing Greens hard liners - all they need to do is present themselves to the public as an agent for responsible change and improvement. The Libs cannot compete in that territory anymore, because everybody knows their promises are hollow, and fear won't Trump opportunity.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
they’re going to try beazley’s childcare centres in schools again maybe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Take me seriously you fart huffing idiots

- the Australian greens (aka migrants from Stonnington and Booroondara)

I was born in glen eira fucko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
JBP if you don't want to try to make the world a better place, just stay out of politics dude. You're only doing damage for no reason.

• Locked thread