Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

Can Maverick join in with his KC-135R Stratotanker?

Afraid the forward facing search radar is non-negotiable. And we're not using HG planes. You can pick among the planes we field of course but the jets themselves will be provided by TGS

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

Can Maverick join in with his KC-135R Stratotanker?

You. I like you. After all it does have a forward-looking radar. A weather radar but still

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

bibliosabreur posted:

You. I like you. After all it does have a forward-looking radar. A weather radar but still

Yeah, this unfortunately makes it untenable for the challenge I have in mind.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

orcbuster posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=349#post480010155

Its time I made a prior promise into reality.

OK, so I need volunteers for The Grand Soars challenge. Sign up your pilot and name your plane of preference (NEEDS A FORWARD SCANNING RADAR) and I will do a writeup of the challenge. If you provide some info on your pilot as well that only makes it easier for me. Pilot does not need to have a plane assigned to them atm

I'll take the first five and pick one at random and repeat the process once I'm done with that writeup.

Bradley Langdon, 27
Birthplace: Ventura, California
Employer: Apple Defense Systems
Aircraft: ADS "iNterceptor" v0.91 (Production F-23A, http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/4107/)

Foreshadowing! He and his jet are also a guest appearance paid for by ADS. :v

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 19, 2018

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I would be amiss if I didn't point out that the Argentines did try using their 747s as impromptu ocean patrol craft to try to find the incoming British task force with their weather radars.

It didn't work, of course, so you're right.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Well there is still one more spot open. First come first serve.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Zoltan Z. Zivon is used to being at the bottom of a list and has ended up with an aircraft pulled from a scrapheap too. Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B (late) please.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 19, 2018

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
"Tall" Jack Roughneen, 55
Birthplace: Edinburgh, Scotland
Employer: Hayard Gunnes (ex-Draken Intl, ex-RAF)
Aircraft: HAL Tejas

A curmudgeonly old bugger at this point, though one could argue it being a side-effect of a 5'7" man having to deal with a mocking nickname for nearly his entire life, Jack has extensive experience with multiple types of aircraft, from cold warriors like the Blackburn Buccaneer to modern multirole combat aircraft like the Saab Gripen. HAL have provided him with an example of their Tejas light fighter.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/308070718132977664/414931502900576266/dice.PNG

And LoSA is first up!

quote:

Clarkson: Now for our first challenge we have here a lovingly restored ex-swedish airforce SAAB 29. This was one of the first modern swept wing fighters ever developed and I mean... Just look at it! Its adorable! It like a smiling chubby kid with its arm stretched out, happy as can be pretending to fly! Wheee! (he stretches out is arms, forms mouth into an o and starts running around).

Hammond: Some of those kids never grow up do they Jeremy.

May: Uncanny demonstration really. Anyway today the Saab-29 will act as a tow plane for this! (Holds up a container with a piece of bacon in it)

Hammond: Is that a piece of meat?

Clarkson: yes, you see I had a thought the other day about radars and how they are essentially microwave ovens.

Hammond: wot?

Clarkson: And so I came to the conclusion that since fighter radars are the ultimate form of radar they must also be the best tool to cook my breakfast. Can't be worse than the buffet tables they have in our studio anyway

Hammond and may: (laughs)

May: No I agree with you actually! Microwave ovens actually came about through radar research and function in the same general way so this could be quite interesting.

Hammond: So you're saying that the fat kid will run ahead with bacon tied to it on a rope with a plane flying behind it trying to cook it with its radar?

Clarkson: Yes.

May: So I assume you're flying the Saab then Jeremy?

Clarkson: Yeeees.

Hammond: Well then its time to introduce our pilot and.... Hang on (touches his earpiece)...

May: anything wrong?

Hammond: Well it seems our volunteer has gotten a bit grumpy on learning of our challenge and she is currently running amok with a steak knife trying to hunt Jeremy down

Clarkson: (Laughs) what plane did she pick?

Hammond: (trying not to break completely down in laughter) B-1B lancer!!!!

(They all break down in tears laughing, eventually recovering)

Clarkson: (still laughing) All right lets... (giggles) lets not be too harsh. Whats her name?

Hammond: Oh god (breaks down again recovers, puts his thumb and forefinger up to his forehead forming an L) LoSA!

(All three break down into laughter again)

To be continued

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 19, 2018

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

orcbuster posted:

Clarkson: (Laughs) what plane did she pick?

Hammond: (trying not to break completely down in laughter) B-1B lancer!!!!

(They all break down in tears laughing, eventually recovering)

Clarkson: (still laughing) All right lets... (giggles) lets not be too harsh. Whats her name?

Hammond: Oh god (breaks down again recovers, puts his thumb and forefinger up to his forehead forming an L) LoSA!

(All three break down into laughter again)

Hah . . . yeah got to admit, I LOL'ed after reading this as well, does seem rather silly in hindsight. That finger L for Loser thing is totally in character for these guys, and, of course they'd have a laugh at LoSA as a callsign.

. . . somewhere in the studio . . .

CLARKSON!! I GOT YOUR CRISPY BACON RIGHT HERE YOU PIG HEADED SONOVA . . .

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

orcbuster posted:

Top Gear magic

Oh my god I can't wait to see how this plays out

So, Baloogan Wiki tells me the B-1B's radar set, the AN/APQ-164, has a peak power of 60,000 and a PRF of 300. I'm assuming that's in watts and pulses per second, though I could be wrong. That, plus its ECM suite, subject to the inverse-square rule for distance, means...

...means that I have no goddamned idea what will happen, except that there's a remote chance that LoSA will lose her patience and do something inadvisable with 500lb bombs.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

bibliosabreur posted:

. . . except that there's a remote chance that LoSA will lose her patience and do something inadvisable with 500lb 5,000 lbs bombs.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

We still have some unused 3DP upgrade cards. Since Schmoz has booked it, I'm not sure the pre-1985 upgrade still holds (We'll have our lawyers sue them. Hopefully we'll have a settlement by 2157). But, what are going to do with that post-1985 upgrade?

Obviously, it doesn't make sense for up to constantly 3DP and upgrade waves of F-16s. So some limits will probably apply. Operating costs might be higher (~12% instead of 3DP's usual 10%). There might be a bottleneck (only 2-3 can be upgraded at a time and it takes 1-2 turns to complete upgrades). A cap on numbers (only 6-7 airframes can be upgraded)

With all that in mind, here are some ideas on how to spend our $106,815,308!

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 17, 2018

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
CourValant: I don't really want to know what you're planning on doing with GBU-28s, do I?

Bac: when we upgrade, I'm all aboard the F-15 train. Full Baztardry. However, I must confess that I'm on the fence as to whether now's the time for it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

bibliosabreur posted:

Bac: when we upgrade, I'm all aboard the F-15 train. Full Baztardry. However, I must confess that I'm on the fence as to whether now's the time for it.

Basically my concern as well. 4-6 week downtime means definitely out for this next big mission, and probably out for the one after that too. It's an excellent upgrade and we're definitely going to get a lot of use out of a modernized Eagle but we should do our upgrades at the end of the theatre. At the very least, after this big strike we're prepping.

bibliosabreur posted:

Oh my god I can't wait to see how this plays out

So, Baloogan Wiki tells me the B-1B's radar set, the AN/APQ-164, has a peak power of 60,000 and a PRF of 300. I'm assuming that's in watts and pulses per second, though I could be wrong. That, plus its ECM suite, subject to the inverse-square rule for distance, means...

...means that I have no goddamned idea what will happen, except that there's a remote chance that LoSA will lose her patience and do something inadvisable with 500lb bombs.

It means that bacon is going to get hella cooked and i hope the saab pilot isn't too fond of his corneas and testicles

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 19, 2018

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

bibliosabreur posted:

I grant that the F-15 Baz-2000 sounds cool. However, it runs into the rather huge problem of "would Yooper let us have it?", from a metagame balance perspective. It'd be weird to spend so much time agonizing over the Bison, only to clear us to fly these things around scot free. It also assumes that we get to pick our upgrade path.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bacarruda posted:

People have expressed concerns about time and cost to do all this. Fair enough.

Not that we're concerned with this level of detail, because we're not playing Airworthiness Simulator 2018; what is the certification and airworthiness requirements for military aircraft?

I'm familiar with the civilian side of the house, not so much on the military aspect.

Because clearly the Air Forces of the world don't retrofit their planes at conventional MROs; so, who handles airworthiness for them, if that's even a thing for military planes.

FAA rules technically applies to everything flying over the U.S., so, are 8130s necessary for the USAF?

bibliosabreur posted:

CourValant: I don't really want to know what you're planning on doing with GBU-28s, do I?

I've got nothing to do with it, because I'm just another mouth breathing goon siting in front of a laptop. LoSA on the other hand is a vindictive little firecracker with a chip on her shoulder the size of Kansas, and she's already stated that she'd tied Jezza to said GBU-28 and drop him on BBC HQ in London (because we all know there's a secret hold-out bunker under there) if he ever asked her to bring him a 'hot meal'.

Not sure if radio-cooking bacon counts in this instance. And to be clear, she's rather disappointed that the challenge wasn't to melt a chocolate bar instead, because that's how the commercial application of microwaves was discovered, thank you very much.

And to think, Clarkson calls himself a traditionalist. Hrrrumph.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

There's a couple stories floating around the internet of a sailor who tried to cook a jiffypop on a DDG's aegis radar set. So he tied it to a rope, tossed it over the railing to dangle in front of the emitter. The second it enters the radar beam all the popcorn pops and the guy hurriedly reels the thing back in. A few minutes later he gets a call from his boss asking him if he sees anything funny outside because the guys in the radar room just had a YUGE ufo pop up on their sets and then gently caress off.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I grant that the F-15 Baz-2000 sounds cool. However, it runs into the rather huge problem of "would Yooper let us have it?", from a metagame balance perspective. It'd be weird to spend so much time agonizing over the Bison, only to clear us to fly these things around scot free. It also assumes that we get to pick our upgrade path.

Going off of what had happened in the past - we've had a fair bit of input on what we buy. A lot of the Ivanov and K&P packages have been heavily-influenced by goon ideas. For example, MiG-29Ks and the latest round of Gripen NGs both came from Hired Goon suggestions. So I'm optimistic we'll get some say.

As for the meta issue? I think it actually makes things a lot more interesting.

If we choose to use the Baz-2000 in air-to-air roles, then we don't have to pull out the Meteors 24/7. We can leave the Bisons and Baz-2000s to do CAP work and free up the Gripens to do cool stuff like cluster bomb tanks with their Mjolnirs.

And there's a ton of AAMs out there that can compete with the AIM-120C. Phoenixes, late-model Alamos, and Amoses have longer ranges. Sparrows and older Alamos have comparable range. There's a ton of them out there and Willie's gonna open the floodgates to seel even more. I don't think that the Baz-2000s are an "I win" button.

If we wanna do more air-to-ground, the Baz also opens a lot of doors. The Popeyes are an interesting substitute for the SDB. Goons love them some massive explosions (nearly half a ton of boom!).

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Basically my concern as well. 4-6 week downtime means definitely out for this next big mission, and probably out for the one after that too. It's an excellent upgrade and we're definitely going to get a lot of use out of a modernized Eagle but we should do our upgrades at the end of the theatre. At the very least, after this big strike we're prepping.

bibliosabreur posted:

Our current F-15Ds can be helpful, but we'd need to baby them a going into a Bison nest.

I figure now's a good time to push for the Baz-2000 upgrade since it's going to be helpful in future missions. Mountain base? Bunker-busters. Russian base? Glide bombs. Bison fighter sweep? Alpha strike on Gjader? AMRAAMs.

Agree that we need some more guidance from Yooper on when exactly the next mission is going to happen.

Yooper posted:

Contact 3DP folks or Krum and see what we can do about an upgrade or purchase. Please note the capacity issues.

Yooper, roughly (when in-game time) will the next mission happen? Can we get ballpark figures for upgrade options and times/prices?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 19, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Is there a consensus as to whether it's better to be building up our forces or fortifying more from the back and forth? Not sure what point the discussion is on!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Right now it's still focused on upgrades or defense.

The people arguing for upgrades see an opportunity for us to have excellent aircraft one to two months from now.

The people arguing for defense expect an attack before then so they don't want the air assets grounded.

"Defend" looks to be ahead of "upgrade", but I just eyeballed it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’d really like to see those upgraded Eagles in our inventory however I’m a little bit concerned about the possibility of a strike on our base. I’m phone posting so I can’t suggest specific hardware but I’m sure someone smarter can pick up the slack.

The biggest issue that I can see is that some of our most valuable assets cannot fit into the bunkers at Gjadër.

There has been some talk of dispersing the Saab and the tankers to international airports where it seems unlikely our opponents will be willing to strike. I’m a little unsure about this, we have a habit of making people apoplectic and hanging around with Clarkson et al is probably going to exacerbate this. Would someone risk pissing off an international government to launch some PGM’s at our Erieye? I’m thinking probably.

Another option is creating revetments or hardened shelters at Gjadër. Depending on time factors I would be very in favour of something along these lines. Better still if we can build more shelters than we have aircraft. This allows us room to expand and makes striking us more difficult. Enemy planners would have to allow for hitting all hangers/shelters.

If it’s possible to expand the tunnels at the base instead in a similar time frame that would be great.

It’d be nice to shop around for some more AA options, our i-Hawk is not the most amazing thing in the world and more radar coverage would be great. Being able to sling a few more SAM’s at an attacking force would be very useful.

Not sure what a QRF might look like but it seems like something our Bisons would be pretty good at. They’re not nicknamed two-stage SAMs for nothing.

Finally I think we should consider the possibility of a ground based attack and plan for that accordingly. Something along the lines of the Raid on Pebble Island could be devastating to us

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Even if the thread wants to go with 'upgrade jets' is it possible as well we can hedge our bets by buying up extra AA defenses?

Outlaw1011
Dec 4, 2017
On the topic of Bacarruda's proposed F-15C upgrade:

Yooper posted:

Finally our new supplier. This conglomerate is a partnership between 5 axis machine tool manufacturers and metal 3d printers. They are able to take older aircraft, reverse engineer them, and 3d print the components. They have a handful of planes available initially. Due to a quirk in global patent and copyright law, they are able to make any plane older than 20 years ago.

If this also hold true for the upgrades then our time limit is 2003.

Bacarruda posted:

People have expressed concerns about time and cost to do all this. Fair enough.

Since the Baz-2000 upgrade was really done by the Israeli Air Force, we can look at their costs and upgrade times. The total cost in 1994 to upgrade the entire Israeli F-15A/B/C/D fleet (~57 aircraft at the time) was about $52.5 million, or about $86,715,000 in 2017 dollars. It took about 7,000-9,000 man hours to upgrade each airframe.

Those numbers look intimidating, right? Let's break it down. The inflation-adjusted upgrade price for each F-15D upgrade is only about $1.52 million. And we could probably do it cheaper, since we don't have to do the R&D the Israelis did. The time figures look scary, too. But there are three important things to consider:

1) We aren't reinventing the wheel. Israel's already done these upgrades - there's documentation and retired IDF techs who can show us what to do.
2) Our jets are identical. One of the biggest time sucks for the IDF was custom-fitting parts to each jet, since they were all internally different. Our birds were 3D printed from the same template, so upgrading ours will be faster.
3) Our jets are brand new. The Israelis had to spend time replacing 20-year-old wiring on some of their jets. We won't.

Two issues I see:

1) If keeping with the 2003 requirement, then yes our F-15Cs can be 3dP but if I remember correctly we have yet to pay the tooling cost for them which means added expenses. ($85 million for the base F-15C)

2) The Baz-2000 is 2004 at the earliest upgrade (at least according to the Database) which puts it just outside of the range of 3dP.

This doesn't mean we can't do it, it just means we can't use 3dP.

Doing the math, we have 6 F15Cs x 7000 manhours = 28000 manhours. If we put those 20 person crew you mentioned on it then we are looking at 35 weeks for one crew or ~6 weeks for 6 crews based on a 40 hour week. Cost wise the labour cost alone would be around $789,880 using the average salary for a USAF mechanic($28.21/hour). For a 60 hour week (40+20 Overtime) the time frame shrinks to ~23-24 weeks for one crew or ~3-4 weeks for 6 crews. The cost for overtime using 1.5x cost for overtime hours would be $1,184,820 in labour costs.

On a related note, has Yooper posted cost of things (planes, weapons, these upgrades) anywhere? Or do we have to go hunting for those values ourselves?

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Outlaw1011 posted:

On a related note, has Yooper posted cost of things (planes, weapons, these upgrades) anywhere? Or do we have to go hunting for those values ourselves?

Only for the starting equipment (Gripen weapons) and the (old) 3DP formula. Otherwise we need to find them ourselves or ask Yooper.
If we don't upgrade the F-15s for some reason and buy something else instead we won't lose any aircraft but may have to defend against an attack before we get the 3DP aircraft.

I agree that a ground attack seems likely and I assume that since Arsenal has weak ground troops they won't be able to help us.
Yooper: Will we receive all of the 3DP aircraft at once or could we get them delivered in two batches, say the older 3DP stuff earlier than the later upgrades?

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 19, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think defend, there's no point in getting more planes if we get them all blown up.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Outlaw1011 posted:

1) If keeping with the 2003 requirement, then yes our F-15Cs can be 3dP but if I remember correctly we have yet to pay the tooling cost for them which means added expenses. ($85 million for the base F-15C)

We don't have any F-15Cs (Yooper put in the wrong DB entry in the OP, but we have the right ones in-game). What we have are these: F-15D Akef from 1985.*

We've already 3D-printed eight (and lost two in combat), so we currently have 6 on the books.

No tooling, no new printing needed. Just a straight upgrade where we add new weapons and avionics to the jets we already have.

Outlaw1011 posted:

2) The Baz-2000 is 2004 at the earliest upgrade (at least according to the Database) which puts it just outside of the range of 3dP.

This doesn't mean we can't do it, it just means we can't use 3dP.

Again, we're not 3D-printing anything new. We're just upgrading planes we already have.

When we signed on with our new employers, Yooper gave us two upgrade chits. One to upgrade a post-1985 airframe and one to upgrade a pre-1985 airframe. We'd be using the post-1985 chit for the F-15D Akef.

Outlaw1011 posted:

Doing the math, we have 6 F15Cs x 7000 manhours = 28000 manhours. If we put those 20 person crew you mentioned on it then we are looking at 35 weeks for one crew or ~6 weeks for 6 crews based on a 40 hour week. Cost wise the labour cost alone would be around $789,880 using the average salary for a USAF mechanic($28.21/hour). For a 60 hour week (40+20 Overtime) the time frame shrinks to ~23-24 weeks for one crew or ~3-4 weeks for 6 crews. The cost for overtime using 1.5x cost for overtime hours would be $1,184,820 in labour costs

Like I mentioned earlier - the 7,000-9,000 hour figure I cited is from Israeli techs doing plane-unique upgrades with old tech on unfamiliar aircraft. In the 2020s, we have better tech (3DP printers, water cutters, etc.), identical aircraft, and a path to follow. We can also raid USAF boneyards for parts to speed things up, if needed (some USAF F-15s are may be retired around the 2020s).

The Israelis were also rolling in some depot-level maintenance during their upgrade program - which increased the upgrade time further.

Bottom line, we'll be able to do upgrade the F-15Ds faster than the Israelis.

And even if you roll in labor + parts cost, it's still a very-reasonable ~2.5-2.7 million USD per F-15D we upgrade in a crash program.

Outlaw1011 posted:

Yooper's got his own spreadsheet of ammo and plane costs that he's been using.

The upgrade costs are anyone's guess. But it's reasonable to assume that he'll use real-world numbers like the ones I cited for the Baz-2000 program.

----
*To sort out the names. The Israel's F-15A and F-15B are the Baz (Falcon) and their F-15C and F-15D are the Akef (Buzzard). But the entire F-15A/B/C/D family is often called the Baz and Israel's F-15 upgrade program was called Baz-2000 by many sources. The F-15I, for reference, is the [i]Ra'am (Thunder).

slothrop posted:

Not sure what a QRF might look like but it seems like something our Bisons would be pretty good at. They’re not nicknamed two-stage SAMs for nothing.

Finally I think we should consider the possibility of a ground based attack and plan for that accordingly. Something along the lines of the Raid on Pebble Island could be devastating to us

The point about potential QRFs is pretty interesting. Regardless of what option we vote for - we should still use our aircraft for base defense,

Our greatest risk for air attack is during the day (most 3D-printable and surplus aircraft only have day attack capability). Our biggest risk for ground attack is night, especially for an SAS Paddy Mayne-style raid.

To deal with the air threat, we need a CAP or QRA. During the day, I think we should have 2 high-end fighters (i.e. Gripens or Eagles) or 4 low-end fighters (i.e. Bisons and/or Kfirs) Readied at all times and on Quick Reaction Alert (QRA). At night, we can probably get away with 2-3 fighters on QRA.

We also have the option to keep a CAP (possibly supported by a tanker) airborne over our base during daylight hours.

If we go for Option B (Base Defenses), we can buil special bunkers for them to sit in. If not, they sit immediatley inside the main bunker. As soon as an aerial threat is spotted by the Ground Master, the I-Hawk, or the Dutch - we scramble them and intercept the threat. Since they're at Ready status, all Yooper has to do is order them to launch and they'll be airborne within 3 minutes.

To deal with the ground threat, we can use our surveillance aircraft. The Reapers and the Atlantique can fly 8-hour shifts around the clock, sweeping the perimeter for any intruders with their FLIR and TV cameras. If needed, the Gripen and Tornado have FLIR pods that can be used for a similar role. If our patrollers see anything, they engage with their weapons.

To back them up, we should keep 1-2 strike aircraft on QRA as well. The Mirage, AMX A-11, and the MiG-27s would be well-suited for this role.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Something came up in the cold war thread. We can't do it now, but would we ever have the assets to pull it off?

bewbies posted:

A Kirov surface group with some subs and the variety of land based things in range sitting in the Baltic would be a very challenging target.

What I'm saying is someone should set up that scenario in that one video game and then this thread can try and beat it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Next mission will happen in approximately two weeks.

Our CIA contacts are evaluating options, time frames, and fantasy football pools. But between them and "magic 8 ball", we can get some intel.

Right now vote is leaning towards B. So we'll get into infrastructure mode soon enough.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

All we really need for intel is a location, maybe a rundown on major defenses like long-range SAMs. Two weeks is too little time to get the Baztards in play for this mission so if we go for the upgrades we'll be down our Eagles and probably get them back next mission. I like the feeling of that, it means even if we screw the pooch on this mission we'll be left with a solid core of multiroles next mission. I'm changing my Recon vote to Upgrades.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I'm still an advocate for Cessna 172 reconnaissance

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Quinntan posted:

I'm still an advocate for Cessna 172 reconnaissance

I wish we still had those SK60Bs, those would be perfect for a sovcrap suicide recon run.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I’m pretty sure sending hapless goon pilots on literal suicide runs is bad form.

So what we need is more drones :getin:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

power crystals posted:

I’m pretty sure sending hapless goon pilots on literal suicide runs is bad form.

That's what volunteering is for. C'mon, you can't tell me you wouldn't want to ride a shitplane museum piece on a blaze of glory run. C'mon, you know you want to. It'll be fun. Promise.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hear me out, what if we do the Cessna recon flight and other seemingly unrelated flights in the name of doing location scouting for Grand Soar?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Radio Free Kobold posted:

That's what volunteering is for. C'mon, you can't tell me you wouldn't want to ride a shitplane museum piece on a blaze of glory run. C'mon, you know you want to. It'll be fun. Promise.

What, and give up my heated/air conditioned trailer with easy access to HG’s catering? Hell no, someone else can do that :v:

My true shitplane calling is being the antagonist of a new Battle of Palmdale.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

power crystals posted:

Oh yes. And MALDs. Drones and decoys all day every day!

Voting A: Inglorious Bazterds

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RandomPauI posted:

Hear me out, what if we do the Cessna recon flight and other seemingly unrelated flights in the name of doing location scouting for Grand Soar?

Clever.

Outlaw1011
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks Bacarruda for the corrections. If this is the case then I wholly agree with your analysis. However, given the time frame that Yooper posed, looks like we won't have time to do the upgrades before the next mission, and I don't think we can afford to be lacking on A2A assets with the current bounty on our head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting is in!

The B's have it with 11 votes, followed by the A-Team at 5, and lastly the C team with 4.

Now the task will be broken into three areas. Patrol. Earthworks. AAA & SAMs.

Patrol : How do we patrol the area and how do we respond to threats?

Earthworks
Hesco's! With custom penis's spraypainted by the marines! Or how do we get a rag tag group of Albanians with shovels and old tractors to make modern defenses?

AAA & SAM
We have an I-HAWK and a Pantsir. The pair have proven quite effective. But do we need more? Think budget. Think prolific. Think something that Milosh's cousin Adosh can run after shutting down the local discotec.

We will do all three of these things but first :

:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

Focus on #1! Patrol specifics.