Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I dug into the Circuit patch editor today and figured out how to get two of the more common microtonal scales. If you use the mod matrix to route the keyboard to OSC1/2 Pitch, quarter tone tuning is somewhere between having the mod depth at -40 and -39. But since the depth control isn't linear, you can use a second mod slot with the same source and destination for fine tuning. You can get other EDO scales if you play with it by ear, but I imagine no one really wants to do 55-EDO with a 16 note keyboard. It's applicable to fine tuning other kinds of mod slots, too.

Quarter Tone: Slot 1 Depth -40, Slot 2 Depth 12

19-EDO: Slot 1 Depth -36, Slot 2 Depth 9

You can get a fixed pitch by routing the keyboard to pitch with a depth of -52 (with a single mod slot). Fixing the pitch of a single oscillator adds a lot of possibilities to the ring modulator that's tucked away in the mixer section.

E: Huh, I found a bug with the keyboard display. I'll try to get a video up tomorrow.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Plavski posted:

Thought this new loopop video was p. cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOAgqcM2eI

That IS cool and very tempting. Too bad my case is already full... :frogout:

...since I bought Morphagene this week! :getin:

Here I'm putting some Erik Satie through the thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDxvFDRYgs

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
Someone talk me out of buying a $3,500 oberheim two voice please... or is it worth it ?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

the crikster posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a $3,500 oberheim two voice please... or is it worth it ?

Yep but don't pay that, get the black demo unit at sweetwater that's been sitting there forever. 350$ off, might be able to swing closer to/under 3 if you're friendly with your rep, they've had it up for many months lol.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TwoVoiceProBKd2--tom-oberheim-two-voice-pro-dual-analog-synthesizer-with-sequencer-black
Look at those puppy dog eyes

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Today picked up the moog 104HP case (and STO), going from Mother32+handful of modules sitting in a shoebox to a proper skiff.

Didn't have a proper drillbit on hand, so ended up dremeling through the back . Not pretty, but fully functional and should be easy to cover up the scratches.

The dual VCA was actually too tall, so had to set up risers, not ideal, but it works. The plan is to fill this, then when it's full put the mother32 back in the original case and fill this thing more, and eventually build up some fancy custom case once this thing is filled.
I had actually been thinking for a little bit that maybe the VCA, being the cheap kit module, a little bit of a weak link that would be first swapped out for space, but after messing around, that's completely wrong. I was really able to get some amazing sounds out of just these few things, and it was really the VCA (+often the ADSR also connected to the CV) that made the sounds really work.

Not sure exactly what to grab next. I had initially planned on grabbing a second sequencerish thing and being able to have bassline+melody with M32+STO, but they sound reaalllly good together. I could build off that, maybe adding another filter or reverb, and also get percussion going with some logic-ish stuff (or combo logic/envelope things like maths), which would let me experiment a ton and make some really awesome things. Other option is to get some controller-type thing, maybe like Pamela's New Workout, and another voice and an effect or two, and move towards being able to longer generative-type stuff which I could leave on for an hour.
Longer run I'll be able to do everything and more, but for now I *think* those are the two main paths I could take to really go well with what I have while staying in 104HP. Let me know if either of those is a better route with the remaining room (18HP left, though I could maybe swap the 4hp snare if I went generative, or I guess maaybe the 8hp ADSR if I got a fancier envelope generator).

Lhet fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Consider what you wish the mother had when you were poking her before the transplant.

Putting the CV board into my perfourmer this morning. I was a little disappointed a straight-through board was 100+ but once I got it open I got over it. The insides are gorgeous, loads of labeled test points and trims. Really well laid out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
HELLO MY BEAUTIFUL ANGELS

This is just to update y'all on the state of the mixtape, if you care about such things.

I have not forgotten you, it's just been a really busy week. Expect more mixtape news very soon.

PS- If you submitted after the deadline, your song will be included on the next one. Because that was what I said back in January. Yes, there will be a next one, silly. I already got all these late tracks to put on it :P .

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

the crikster posted:

Not a great timeframe, but my black friday 15% off GC coupon applied to the TVS- $2975 in the cart at checkout. I didn't pull the trigger, but it was there.

Now- I just checked and my presidents day code works too. $2995 at checkout.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is just to update y'all on the state of the mixtape, if you care about such things.

I have not forgotten you, it's just been a really busy week. Expect more mixtape news very soon.

PS- If you submitted after the deadline, your song will be included on the next one. Because that was what I said back in January. Yes, there will be a next one, silly. I already got all these late tracks to put on it :P .

When's the deadline for the next mixtape? Things got a little hectic for me the past month so I couldn't do one this time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

When's the deadline for the next mixtape? Things got a little hectic for me the past month so I couldn't do one this time.

Ummmm...Idk, March 14th? Yeah, the deadline for Volume 2 is 3/14, also known as Pi day. Go get some Pi on your faces you naughty dogs

(I’ll post a bigger update/intro soon)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Ima vocode some more stuff for it. If we can keep doing these I'm going to turn out a vocoder rock opera about a young couple who drives off a bridge and dies only to have their brains resurrected as the consciousnesses controlling a pair of starships, and they're all like "gently caress yeah we're spaceships and we'll live forever" but then they're sent in opposite directions and they're like "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if im a spaceship i think id be deciding where to go 🧐

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Trig Discipline posted:

Ima vocode some more stuff for it. If we can keep doing these I'm going to turn out a vocoder rock opera about a young couple who drives off a bridge and dies only to have their brains resurrected as the consciousnesses controlling a pair of starships, and they're all like "gently caress yeah we're spaceships and we'll live forever" but then they're sent in opposite directions and they're like "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

I was thinking cyber Beetlejuice for the first half there. I like your direction, would definitely listen.

Here's my Circuit being all weird in case Novation feels like doing another patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVIc3NtYXJw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if im a spaceship i think id be deciding where to go 🧐

Depends on how much free will they give you, I reckon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

"She is the latest in technology,
Almost mythology, but she has a heart of stone,
She has an IQ of 1, 001,
She has a jump suit on, and she's also a telephone"

These are the vibes I immediately got from your write-up.

Is that what you want (is it what you really want?)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Will this mixtape get a type iv dolby encoded metal tape release miled to my front door? Send me your usenet details and PO Box so I can mail you the bills.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The ship who sang
Hollywood will start scraping pulp SciFi pretty soon maybe you can put in for the soundtrack early :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17020164/ikea-first-look-frekvens-portable-party-collection-teenage-engineering

:captainpop::chanpop:

no joke I would definitely look twice and maybe three times at a TE home turntable-by-way-of IKEA and I’d buy the poo poo out of a TE portable turntable. I don’t care if it had Crosley guts or whatever in it (it probably wouldn’t. i believe in you, teenage engineering)

I love the industrial design of that smart speaker they released in China so speakers/other poo poo from them is cool too.

Also is an “electronic choir” supposed to be like a karaoke vocoder or something? Also a guitar? I love Danelectros so I’m on board?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 18, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"She is the latest in technology,
Almost mythology, but she has a heart of stone,
She has an IQ of 1, 001,
She has a jump suit on, and she's also a telephone"

These are the vibes I immediately got from your write-up.

Is that what you want (is it what you really want?)

I'm going much darker with it, I think. I've already got like a half dozen songs I can redo in this style that would fit the story, starting with this one:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/evergreen-acoustic

e: Might actually name the whole thing "Evergreen", come to think of it.

2e: Probably going to redo this one with a much denser and darker progression too:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/survival-machines-1

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 19, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17020164/ikea-first-look-frekvens-portable-party-collection-teenage-engineering

:captainpop::chanpop:

no joke I would definitely look twice and maybe three times at a TE home turntable-by-way-of IKEA and I’d buy the poo poo out of a TE portable turntable. I don’t care if it had Crosley guts or whatever in it (it probably wouldn’t. i believe in you, teenage engineering)

I love the industrial design of that smart speaker they released in China so speakers/other poo poo from them is cool too.

Also is an “electronic choir” supposed to be like a karaoke vocoder or something? Also a guitar? I love Danelectros so I’m on board?

Get ready to replace the tone arm and internal preamp that will most likely cost you more than the turntable, unless it's an SL1200 clone.

Then again, I'm afraid of starting a turntable discussion. It's probably one the most pergiest analog discussions and I'd rather talk about VCOs and Euroracks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Get ready to replace the tone arm and internal preamp that will most likely cost you more than the turntable, unless it's an SL1200 clone.

Then again, I'm afraid of starting a turntable discussion. It's probably one the most pergiest analog discussions and I'd rather talk about VCOs and Euroracks.

Without derailing this into TT Chat, why? I have a couple of nice turntables at home. The idea would be to get something portable/inexpensive that isn’t a Crosley Cruiser (which aren’t even all that dangerous to LPs, despite the common warning that I myself used to repeat like canon law, btw). Also which 1200 clone has a particularly excellent tonearm- the AT LP120? The new Pioneer? What are you even talking about?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Some rad Peak + Digitakt + Digitone stuff from Ehsan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZcBcODQ-I

augias
Apr 7, 2009

i sent my modded tr-606 into a guy to get a stable ROM mod installed. Got it back and it craps out a week later on the pattern write function. By email he says its probably circuit decay from the battery case's proximity to the sequencer. I haven't used batteries for the 606 in the ten years I've owned it. Dude better re-repair it for free.

that's my gripe. gear is poo poo analog gear from the eighties is more poo poo. i like the video above me.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
whats the ROM mod on a 606?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

May be misnaming, but if you leave a 606 disconnected from the 9v or without batteries, your patterns disappear into the aether. This mod lets your patterns stay where they after after unplugging.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A new tracker/piano roll fashioned piece of FM Synth software has manifested out of pretty much nowhere and looks rather cool and promising:

http://fmcomposer.org/en/

May well be one of the shinier and user friendly intended projects out there in these wilds---which is even crazier as usually mostly solo efforts on this sort of thing drive folks to some degree of madness before such dragons are tilted at. Imagine if it sees more updates from here~

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Does anyone recognize the lead 50 seconds into this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rwIRNmmu4c&t=50s

Judging from the time period (mid 90s), I would guess D-50 or Wavestation, but I'm not sure.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What's this mysterious case in the mailbox today?

Noice

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Noice

Noice. Have fun (you're gonna want to get a Brains for that PP).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
drat, that's a fat wad of cash right there. Looks amazing!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Noice. Have fun (you're gonna want to get a Brains for that PP).

Thanks, I got all the manuals printed at work, time to have fun now.

Also funny you would say that;

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Noice Noise

FTFY :colbert:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You can really tell how hard he was hoping that he was going to have to explain it to somebody.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ah, the international 'Only 6U?' look

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"Where the gently caress are your VCAs"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, I would love for a TSA agent to legitimately know (and be interested in) what they were seeing. :allears:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh my god, I would love for a TSA agent to legitimately know (and be interested in) what they were seeing. :allears:

The wife and I were coming back to the USA from Curacao with a bunch of dead reef fish we caught for research and we got a TSA agent who was an avid reef aquarist. It was both really cool and really annoying, which is an interesting combination. Half "oh cool let's geek out about fish" and "dude we just want to get to our next flight and there are hundreds of people behind us right now who want us to die because we're taking so long".

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

as someone who was exactly this a few years back while i was in school all i can say from experience is that id probably mutter something along the lines of:

Tayter Swift posted:

"Where the gently caress are your VCAs"
before getting back to the soul crushing grind that is that job.

it did pay well enough to buy me more synth junk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

This reminds me of touring with a small modular and other synth gear right after 9/11. Every check was a fun one.