Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dober Helm seems cool for LBGs but +30% crit damage seems like objectively the best at any time compared to one extra bullet. The helm looks cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

homeless snail posted:

Do you have the thunder mantle?

How do you get it? I've seen people use it on YouTube and it looks very useful for kirin.

E: looked it up, have to do gone in a flash 5 star quest. I think I have that one.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Xenojiiva can suck my entire rear end

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JBP posted:

How do you get it? I've seen people use it on YouTube and it looks very useful for kirin.

E: looked it up, have to do gone in a flash 5 star quest. I think I have that one.

Lol that it's a bit of a catch-22 "beat kirin to get the anti-kirin item" thing but thankfully you only have to beat the LR kirin, who is about on par with a low-end HR monster in terms of threat. And the thunder mantle makes even tempered kirin manageable.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Olive! posted:

Xenojiiva can suck my entire rear end

He definitely sucks, alright

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kirin's a right gently caress in this game huh. I thought people were joking when they said they made Kirin even worse but lo and behold, I'm pretty sure he's even worse.

what's even up with that screen-filling lightning attack, is there any way to get out of it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Kirin's a right gently caress in this game huh. I thought people were joking when they said they made Kirin even worse but lo and behold, I'm pretty sure he's even worse.

what's even up with that screen-filling lightning attack, is there any way to get out of it?
He puts telegraphs on the ground like this is a MMO or something. I think he has 3 patterns, he'll do a big line in front of him, he'll put down multiple stripes that get shocked in the order they appear (but there are safe spots in between them), and sometimes he'll just lay down a big sheet that if you're fighting him in a small room like his nest or the platforms leading up to it can take up most of the space.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Thank goodness they made Kirin's armor look bad so that I don't ever have to fight it again.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

homeless snail posted:

He puts telegraphs on the ground like this is a MMO or something. I think he has 3 patterns, he'll do a big line in front of him, he'll put down multiple stripes that get shocked in the order they appear (but there are safe spots in between them), and sometimes he'll just lay down a big sheet that if you're fighting him in a small room like his nest or the platforms leading up to it can take up most of the space.

There's also the one that shoots random bolts down all over the place with no warning. They do a lot less damage but they do give you the blight which means if you didn't nullberry it away (or have something else to prevent it) then you'll be stunned if you get hit by two in short order. Those are as far as I can tell impossible to predict and kind of luck to avoid. Just roll around a lot when he's doing that crap.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Bageldouche crashing every single hunt I do is starting to wear thin.

I should have recorded it but Bagelbites showed up 5 seconds before the killing blow on a Rathian while I was playing today. The victory camera angle started as explosions started going off, and he just fucks off as we start carving.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How do i get xenoJ veil?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

He has always done that but I find it a lot harder to figure out the radius of the blasts in this game. Also the last one you mention is the one I was talking about, it kinda feels like if you're already in it then you're just hosed? I even sprinted away from him and still got hit by it, it has a pretty huge radius.

Interesting that they actually focused more on his lightning this time though. In the previous couple of games he basically just charged 24/7 so my go-to strategy was guard points. I need some hot new kirin strats. :sigh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't believe very strongly that certain weapons are better against certain monsters, not usually. Except for Kirin, for Kirin I always switch to lance because lance can just counter hit through all of that junk, or non-power guard the big lasers with the uragaan set skill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bagel has never shown up in my hunts lol.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

RBA Starblade posted:

Buy a lottery ticket immediately.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Well now that you tempted fate...

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I don't believe very strongly that certain weapons are better against certain monsters, not usually. Except for Kirin, for Kirin I always switch to lance because lance can just counter hit through all of that junk, or non-power guard the big lasers with the uragaan set skill.

Try using the hammer on Vaal Hazaak and curse your own existence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

super macho dude posted:

I should have recorded it but Bagelbites showed up 5 seconds before the killing blow on a Rathian while I was playing today. The victory camera angle started as explosions started going off, and he just fucks off as we start carving.

I was hunting Rathalos and the entire hunt was dogged by loving Ajanath and Rathian who just hammered after Rathalos and by association me for the entire time. Every time I poked my head out they'd loving charge at me and in the end I felt like siding with Rathalos and just killing the bastards since he was obviously as annoyed with them as I was.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Do I hear an air raid siren?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

He has always done that but I find it a lot harder to figure out the radius of the blasts in this game. Also the last one you mention is the one I was talking about, it kinda feels like if you're already in it then you're just hosed? I even sprinted away from him and still got hit by it, it has a pretty huge radius.

Interesting that they actually focused more on his lightning this time though. In the previous couple of games he basically just charged 24/7 so my go-to strategy was guard points. I need some hot new kirin strats. :sigh:

Might I recommend evade extender to get out of the way of the blast zone? Also my go to has been to rapid normal 2 his face with Odogaron's LBG.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Poniard posted:

I hate every dinosaur and the stupid noises they make I'm glad I wear their skin and bones to kill research them endlessly

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Shatterkryst+ is very disappointing it is taking like 50 shots to kill a single barnos. A regular rear end non-large monster. A bird. If I don't take a gun I can't reach them but if I do then I can't kill them. This is awful. I just want earplugs armor.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Krinkle posted:

Shatterkryst+ is very disappointing it is taking like 50 shots to kill a single barnos. A regular rear end non-large monster. A bird. If I don't take a gun I can't reach them but if I do then I can't kill them. This is awful. I just want earplugs armor.

Flash them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do I get a high rank Kirin quest? Not tempered, just regular high rank.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Harrow posted:

How do I get a high rank Kirin quest? Not tempered, just regular high rank.

Mine showed up from one of the biologists after I cleared out some older optional quests around the town; 8*, and I'm only just past Nergigante (also killed Kushala)

e: haven't even done the LR Kirin yet.

e2: ok now I've done LR Kirin...

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 20, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

There's also the one that shoots random bolts down all over the place with no warning. They do a lot less damage but they do give you the blight which means if you didn't nullberry it away (or have something else to prevent it) then you'll be stunned if you get hit by two in short order. Those are as far as I can tell impossible to predict and kind of luck to avoid. Just roll around a lot when he's doing that crap.

They generally only appear in a small area around him, so it's relatively easy to avoid them by just keeping your distance.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
The game decided to grace me with a plethora of sword streamstones, so I made some dual swords (diablos with elementaless deco) with 2 of the HP regen augments to see how good/bad it was. Verdict: not that bad! In case anyone was interested, while continuously attacking with triangle/triangle circle combo it will barely out-regen the amount of damage you take while on fire. It goes decently with the 3 piece Negrigante, although for max lazy-boy I like 3 piece Vaal Hazak. I'm doing tempered elders and haven't had to use a healing pot in awhile. Neat option if you're lazy/bad at dodging like me :downs:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

They generally only appear in a small area around him, so it's relatively easy to avoid them by just keeping your distance.

Small being a relative term - the tempered one at least seems to have those go in a 2-kirin radius around him when he's all amped up. It's not a monumental problem because as I said they do rather little damage, even on tempered, and sure it's easy enough to gtfo. But while you're gtfoing, it can cause some issues. I haven't paid enough attention to know what the warning is for that mode yet - kirin is annoying but I seem to do mostly OK with him.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Night Blade posted:

I got my first kill on Vaal Hazaak last night with Hammer!

Oddly it was an easier fight than Nergigante, even with having to deal with the poison laser.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Night Blade posted:

Hammer on Vaal is pretty rough, best strat is to just smoosh his toes and cave in his sides. Going for the head is asking for it. You can get an early KO off the knockdown from the bone spikes in his first zone and maybe another (probably only with Slugger+Impact Mantle) when you get the knockdown for breaking his forelegs, other than that it's pretty much body blow city.

JBP posted:

I was hunting Rathalos and the entire hunt was dogged by loving Ajanath and Rathian who just hammered after Rathalos and by association me for the entire time. Every time I poked my head out they'd loving charge at me and in the end I felt like siding with Rathalos and just killing the bastards since he was obviously as annoyed with them as I was.

Rathian and Rathalos will actually stick to each other like white on rice if they are both in the map and they'll rarely intentionally hit each other. It's kinda neat since they're presumably a mated pair in that instance but goddam can it be aggravating sometimes.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

homeless snail posted:

Do you have the thunder mantle?

Working on that next. I didnt get it because killing Kirin to kill more Kirin seemed like a waste of time, but tempered is demanding it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Krinkle posted:

yea the Shatterkryst line is incredibly disappointing in general

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beat Anja tonite, first try and no carts. That and the tobi kodachi fight before it were both thrilling and fun enemies to fight. Game keeps getting better.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Beat Anja tonite, first try and no carts. That and the tobi kodachi fight before it were both thrilling and fun enemies to fight. Game keeps getting better.

Enjoy you are like maybe 10% the way through the story.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AttackBacon posted:

Rathian and Rathalos will actually stick to each other like white on rice if they are both in the map and they'll rarely intentionally hit each other. It's kinda neat since they're presumably a mated pair in that instance but goddam can it be aggravating sometimes.

This didn't occur to me at all. I was just screaming can you please gently caress off while Ajanath roared at me and Rathian was trying to savage my poo poo.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Was Teo always able to create an explosion at your current and exact position with little to no warning, or is that new?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just hit high rank

https://my.mixtape.moe/eyxmoa.webm

What the gently caress is this thing :stonk:

(Also yes, I'm new to Charge Blade, hi)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just hit high rank

https://my.mixtape.moe/eyxmoa.webm

What the gently caress is this thing :stonk:

(Also yes, I'm new to Charge Blade, hi)

Welcome to every hunt for the rest of your life

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Do you even charge bro?

Axe mode isn't just for your ultimate attack. Soon even you can do this to a tempered elder dragon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBombadilKnow/status/965716309181804544/

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Loving the bonus rathian to give you the true HR ancient forest experience