Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I printed out this map and scribbled all over it old-school style.

I probably should have noted more, but once you have enough materials to drop beacons everywhere the map is more for directional reference than navigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm watching a streamer and they found a modification station about 12 hours before I did :geno:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I can install powercell chargers inside the Cyclops right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Axetrain posted:

I can install powercell chargers inside the Cyclops right?

Yes but they don't generate 'free' energy anymore. It's a 1 = 1 conversion rate

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm watching a streamer and they found a modification station about 12 hours before I did :geno:
You must be watching the wrong streams, you're supposed to be complaining they are the ones who took 12 hours to find it while you roll your eyes at how easy it was for you.

But seriously, my sympathies. The fragment system remains all kinds of RNJesus even when you have the map memorized. I can't feel good about unlocking the Cyclops start to finish in in roughly 5 minutes of seamoth cruising, because I know it was just the fragment spawns being forgiving.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My biggest problem with this game is that it doesn't have a kraken leviathan.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Name your cyclops that, turn on your force field, and honk your horn as you ram lesser sea beasts :black101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally go into the Aurora. I have tons of medkits and supplies since I have no idea what to expect. I'm just walking around, trying to figure out where to go. As I'm walking around the game suddenly freezes up and then:

You Died - Game Over!

I was at full health. I wasn't taking damage. I don't even loving know what killed me. But it killed me instantly with literally no chance for me to react. And because I mistakenly thought the hardcore mode in this game actually served some purpose, I lost my save file to this bullshit.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: WHAT THE gently caress :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Did you not read the dozens of posts in this thread saying hardcore mode is bullshit because this exact thing would happen?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm probably Playing The Game Wrong, but it really put a damper on the last two or so hours of my playthrough to have to find (distant and well hidden) cyclops hull parts just so i could construct a cyclops, to be able to construct the cyclops shield gen for the rocket cockpit. I might have another playthrough where i get the cyclops as early as possible and try using a mobile base, but a full depth prawn and seamoth were all i really needed. I took pity on whoever found my capsule and included repair and welder tools. If i could've included a battery charger somehow, i would've.

I know it's part of the dev's design choices to not have a map, but i really would have loved to have a (resource-expensive) module/piece of equipment that stored the sonar pings from your seamoth etc. and subtly overlaid it on dark patches of your vision. It'd destroy a lot of the atmosphere, but frankly by the time i was able to evade, ignore or stun anything that was a danger to me, it just made me impatient to have to keep wandering around all the biomes to find some nondescript metallic chunks. If there weren't a wiki i wouldn't even have known to focus on the two or so areas that cyclops hull pieces spawn in.

Sorry to moan about something that's certainly been moaned about before, but it's such a shame to have a really amazing unique setting and style feel so ridiculous because they stuck so stubbornly to certain design ideas.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wallrod posted:

I know it's part of the dev's design choices to not have a map, but i really would have loved to have a (resource-expensive) module/piece of equipment that stored the sonar pings from your seamoth etc. and subtly overlaid it on dark patches of your vision. It'd destroy a lot of the atmosphere, but frankly by the time i was able to evade, ignore or stun anything that was a danger to me, it just made me impatient to have to keep wandering around all the biomes to find some nondescript metallic chunks.

You know about the scanner room right? With the HUD chip you really don't have to be doing that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Internet Kraken posted:

I finally go into the Aurora. I have tons of medkits and supplies since I have no idea what to expect. I'm just walking around, trying to figure out where to go. As I'm walking around the game suddenly freezes up and then:

I was at full health. I wasn't taking damage. I don't even loving know what killed me. But it killed me instantly with literally no chance for me to react. And because I mistakenly thought the hardcore mode in this game actually served some purpose, I lost my save file to this bullshit.

Did you remove some part of your radiation suit?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I was kind of disappointed that the only really scary and aggressive leviathan is the first one you meet. The ghosts are too chill and easily spotted and the dragons are just goofy looking things that bitch slap you hilariously

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Internet Kraken posted:

You Died - Game Over!

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: WHAT THE gently caress :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

lmao I cant believe people still play hardcore mode of this game

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

You must be watching the wrong streams, you're supposed to be complaining they are the ones who took 12 hours to find it while you roll your eyes at how easy it was for you.

But seriously, my sympathies. The fragment system remains all kinds of RNJesus even when you have the map memorized. I can't feel good about unlocking the Cyclops start to finish in in roughly 5 minutes of seamoth cruising, because I know it was just the fragment spawns being forgiving.

Yeah. On my first save that I started two days ago, I went through 5 wrecks before I finally found a second prawn grapple arm. On the second save that I started yesterday (because I didn't like the way the first one was going), I found 3 prawn grapple arm pieces in the first wreck under the floating island. The frag rng is loving crazy.

Also, in the first save, I found 3 moonpool frags around that first wreck. Second save? Only one.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Yeah. On my first save that I started two days ago, I went through 5 wrecks before I finally found a second prawn grapple arm. On the second save that I started yesterday (because I didn't like the way the first one was going), I found 3 prawn grapple arm pieces in the first wreck under the floating island. The frag rng is loving crazy.

Also, in the first save, I found 3 moonpool frags around that first wreck. Second save? Only one.

If you wana truly punish your self. play a pirated copy. Cyclop/Prawn require 20+ scans everything else was the normal 2-4 . I did a demo run of it before I bought cause I dont like dealing with steam refund all the time. 2 hours seems great at no questions asked but I wanted to make certain it ran. Still think it ran more stable vs the paid version. I never experienced anything close to game breaking like the map not loading textures for no reason forcing a reload of a save.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm setting up max range scanners to find the last databoxes I'm missing. What are my power options if there's no solar or thermal available, carry an extra 11 slots for a multipurpose room and bioreactor then feed random fish to it?

I wish the scanner had an option to pan the holo up a bit so I can see the underside a bit better...

e. holy gently caress. 4 silver nodes (~48 silver ore) clustered around a jellyshroom passage in the grassy plateaus. I think I'm set on that for the rest of the game..

e2. It seems that scanning speed only affects how fast it scans nodes. It will happily detect something 400m away as quickly as 10m.

e3. It seems that one can move the seamoth around by swimming into it. Amazing.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

What is the grav trap even useful for?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Catching fish. Probably some other clutch uses too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Fishing, if you have a hard time grabbing fish like I do. Preventing resources from deposits from falling. Also getting sulfur out of the toxic salt streams in the lost river.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Watching it fling stalkers and stuff around is pretty hilarious. Also nabs resources pretty quick.

If it was a 1x1 device I would carry it with me everywhere but I just cant justify losing that much storage space for a niche device so instead I carry it with me nowhere despite really liking it.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Away all Goats posted:

You know about the scanner room right? With the HUD chip you really don't have to be doing that.

I meant for the last cyclops parts, materials weren't a huge problem.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ultimately, if you need new materials you havent seen before, you just have to go deeper.

Also: scan the deposits when you find them, it'll tell you where to find more in the future.

Edit: Also, Deep shrooms, these threw me off. The ones in the deep are different from the pink ones higher up They give a new kind of material when processed and for some reason don't seem to hurt you when you harvest them for spores.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Deep shrooms are pale as poo poo, thats how I told them apart plus they seem to grow around the Blood Kelp. Let me tell you how stoked I was when I found out I could just grow all the Blood Kelp I could ever want, that was a happy thing to find out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pirated copies make you scan 20 things for cyclops? That’s hosed up, my game is doing that and I bought it legit like 2 months into early access.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Blood Oil is a great biofuel too. The ability to farm all the different flora in the game is really one of the better parts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You can farm blood oil? I was chuffed to bits when I finally found out you can farm acid and deep shrooms but I never figured out how to multiply blood oil.

Table coral, too, but that stuff's common as muck even in like the lost river so nuts to it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WaffleLove posted:

If you wana truly punish your self. play a pirated copy. Cyclop/Prawn require 20+ scans everything else was the normal 2-4 . I did a demo run of it before I bought cause I dont like dealing with steam refund all the time. 2 hours seems great at no questions asked but I wanted to make certain it ran. Still think it ran more stable vs the paid version. I never experienced anything close to game breaking like the map not loading textures for no reason forcing a reload of a save.

Invalid Validation posted:

Pirated copies make you scan 20 things for cyclops? That’s hosed up, my game is doing that and I bought it legit like 2 months into early access.

Huh. I didn't know about the spike in cyclops scans.

PRAWN needing 20 scans though? Oh, that's NORMAL :shepface: Because nothing in the game tells you that you only need 4 scans if you go into the aroura to the prawn bay and scan the intact suits. So you still see new players asking "Oh my god, I can't find loving 20 arm parts" down to the fact they didn't read a wiki or play the game a million times already.

The prawn is one of the easiest things in the game to unlock... So long as you have foreknowledge that is, which of course causes the sort of responses you'd expect from this fanbase.

Ciaphas posted:

You can farm blood oil? I was chuffed to bits when I finally found out you can farm acid and deep shrooms but I never figured out how to multiply blood oil.

Table coral, too, but that stuff's common as muck even in like the lost river so nuts to it
Blood Oil, yes. 2x2 area needed though, for it to grow it's own little vine. Coral of any type, no.

EDIT: Oh right, blood oil is one of those "No seeds, just plant the main object" deals. Which has thrown people off at times. At least in it's case, the flavor text tells you the bloodoil object is chock full of seeds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The cyclops thing isnt true

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like a retard, but is there a 2nd entrance into the Aurora interior? I found the one down the hallway that's blocked by boxes, but I don't have a laser cutter yet so I can't get into the 2nd door down there. But there's a whole bunch of other parts of the ship to explore, isn't there?

I tried climbing up as high as I could on the exterior, but all that's up there is some heavy fire (I wasted 2 extinguishers seeing if I could get it out).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've never used a bioreactor before, is one marblemelon supposed to get me through pretty much the entire endgame?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I feel like a retard, but is there a 2nd entrance into the Aurora interior? I found the one down the hallway that's blocked by boxes, but I don't have a laser cutter yet so I can't get into the 2nd door down there. But there's a whole bunch of other parts of the ship to explore, isn't there?

I tried climbing up as high as I could on the exterior, but all that's up there is some heavy fire (I wasted 2 extinguishers seeing if I could get it out).
There's a ramp to the left of that door with the boxes, outside, once you get as high as you can, look for scaffolding you have to walk across.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

I'd just hold off on the Aurora until you have a laser cutter and the gravity gun (to move the boxes). It's a pain to get back to and you can get everything worthwhile in one go if you have all the necessary items, some pretty good stuff is behind boxes or laserable doors.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

boar guy posted:

i've never used a bioreactor before, is one marblemelon supposed to get me through pretty much the entire endgame?
500 energy is basically gently caress all if you're actually using your base for anything but lighting. And the bio reactor is essentially a fancy battery, because no matter what you put in it, it only has an output of "roughly 25 energy per minute".

That said, the main difference in what fuel you use is just how often you have to refill the thing. Stuffing it full of melons is about 2,000 energy total, because they are large objects. Peepers add up to about 12k energy down to having higher value and only being 1 tile objects.

It's wonderful to always have at least one, because it's your only internal power supply that you can make the fuel for in the comfort of your own home. A nice guaranteed your lights won't go out unless you don't stop to check on it, because the iffy power mechanics will always skim off the top.

My last base never dropped below 1,000 power thanks to a combination of solar panels and thermals, but I still had to keep restocking my backup bio reactor every so often for example.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Section Z posted:

500 energy is basically gently caress all if you're actually using your base for anything but lighting. And the bio reactor is essentially a fancy battery, because no matter what you put in it, it only has an output of "roughly 25 energy per minute".

That said, the main difference in what fuel you use is just how often you have to refill the thing. Stuffing it full of melons is about 2,000 energy total, because they are large objects. Peepers add up to about 12k energy down to having higher value and only being 1 tile objects.

one tray of marblemelons in the base and one in the 'clops has trivialized food, water and power for the last half of this game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Double Punctuation posted:

Did you not read the dozens of posts in this thread saying hardcore mode is bullshit because this exact thing would happen?

No because if I want to play the game blind why would I be reading every page of this thread before I've even started?

This is the kind of thing a thread should really have an updated OP for.

Pyromancer posted:

Did you remove some part of your radiation suit?

Nope. I legit have no clue why the game decided it was suddenly time for me to die.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I'd just hold off on the Aurora until you have a laser cutter and the gravity gun (to move the boxes). It's a pain to get back to and you can get everything worthwhile in one go if you have all the necessary items, some pretty good stuff is behind boxes or laserable doors.

I got RNG hosed I guess, I've got a functional habitat built up and several advanced-ish blueprints, but I'm still 0/3 on the mobile vehicle bay and 1/3 on the laser cutter. I made it to the island with the 3 habitats on it, a few of the empty/dead lifepods, and I made it down to the control room of the alien facility where it tells you you're infected but have had pretty poor luck with blueprints.

Also, is there a use for titanium ingots? I feel like there should be a way to break them back into regular titanium. Are they for more advanced recipes?

Oh yeah, and I really wish there was an inventory size upgrade.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Nope. I legit have no clue why the game decided it was suddenly time for me to die.

i had exactly a similar thing happen- i was out of the cyclops for five seconds to get a ruby, i know for drat sure there was nothing out there. swim back to the 'clops, click 'enter'...fade to black, game over screen

no warning, no chance to react, save deleted. dont play hardcore ever and yeah if thats not in the op it oughta be

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

I got RNG hosed I guess, I've got a functional habitat built up and several advanced-ish blueprints, but I'm still 0/3 on the mobile vehicle bay and 1/3 on the laser cutter. I made it to the island with the 3 habitats on it, a few of the empty/dead lifepods, and I made it down to the control room of the alien facility where it tells you you're infected but have had pretty poor luck with blueprints.

Also, is there a use for titanium ingots? I feel like there should be a way to break them back into regular titanium. Are they for more advanced recipes?

Yeah, they will be useful eventually. But no, you can't break them back down, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Or <horror>let inventory items stack.</horror>

It would definitely 'break' the inventory tetris side of the game but if someone finds a way to hack that into the game, it would be amazing.

HexiDave, is it possible to make it so when I try to pick up an item and my inventory is full, that item is shuffled into the nearest inventory with free slots?