Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RBX posted:

I'm 28 not 36 and most people who like that type of poo poo is younger than me. It's high school kids that keep these rappers having any revelance.

My dude i got some bad news you’re getting old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
plenty of kids and adults enjoy the same video games. age isn't an issue. music fans are somehow more obnoxious than gamers. you know gamers are exaggerating when they praise or hate a game but music fans defend hype to the death.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 19, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Soundcloud rap is the first musical movement that has made me think “I don’t understand the kids these days”

temple
Jul 29, 2006

soundcloud rap is really good if all the music you hear is on the radio.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hear the term soundcloud rappers a lot but I’ve never actually heard anyone referred to as a soundcloud rapper

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Let young people do their thing. I listened to lovely music when I was 19 too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I had that haircut... in kindergarten

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Why do his clothes have the same design as the cups at water coolers?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Young people really seem to like the 90’s.

What I thought was funny was a couple years back when everyone was wearing nirvana shirts. This younger dude I knew was wearing one and I asked him if he was alive when they were a band and he didn’t even know who they were.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's the dixie cup jazz design which people associate with 90s culture. Kids these days grow up binge watching Fresh Prince on Netflix inspiring them to open a soundcloud account.

edit: also look up vaporware...eugh

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 19, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

What I thought was funny was a couple years back when everyone was wearing nirvana shirts. This younger dude I knew was wearing one and I asked him if he was alive when they were a band and he didn’t even know who they were.

I feel like wearing a bands' shirt and not knowing what they sound like or if they're even something you'd like is REALLY weird. I wear a lot of band shirts but I'd never rep a group I didn't like or didn't know, and in this day and age it's so easy to determine if a band is something you like or not if you have net access, which I'm assuming these people do. I wonder if people do that with Nirvana was much as they do the Ramones; there was a period where it seemed like every tabloid bait type person was photographed wearing a Ramones shirt.

I am aware this probably sounds very Old Man Yells at Cloud in its' own way, but I'm not mad so much as puzzled.

This reminds me, I need a couple more hip hop shirts

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
One of my favorite shirts is my “Bruiser Brigade” one that I picked up in 2013. It cribs from Patagonia but shows a block instead of nature. Subtle but great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robert Analog posted:

They sell Nirvana shirts at Target now right next to those Bazinga shirts from Big Bang Theory and shirts with beer company logos on them. Whoever owns the rights to Nirvana's name is taking a big ole piss all over Kurt's legacy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They sell Nirvana shirts at Target now right next to those Bazinga shirts from Big Bang Theory and shirts with beer company logos on them. Whoever owns the rights to Nirvana's name is taking a big ole piss all over Kurt's legacy.

Courtney Love still owns a majority of it but Frances (their daughter) owns the publishing rights for the music, minus 25% that Courtney sold for something like 250MM

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been going back through Kanye's body of work lately, listening through all of his solo albums multiple times over the last few months. I'm not sure if time is the factor here but Life of Pablo really shot up my rankings of his albums. Its pretty rare to enjoy every song on an album with 20 songs but this one does it and nothing feels like filler.

In more recent news, the BP Album is awesome and I am kicking myself that I have been unable to get to the movies and see it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Black Panther movie sucks and they somehow made the bad guy the character who wants to help black people and arm them to fight against oppression (a "black panther", if you will)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The stupid loving politics of the Black Panther movie:

Isolationism, not preventing the slave trade : Good, leads to the rich nation of Wakanda

Arming black resistance groups and sharing the wealth and technology throughout Africa : Bad, leads to ?????

Also maybe 2 of the songs tops from that album are in it

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 20, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
did you actually like watch the movie?

The Movie is like literally very much a refutation of isolationism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I did watch the movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The stupid loving politics of the Black Panther movie:

Isolationism, not preventing the slave trade : Good, leads to the rich nation of Wakanda

Arming black resistance groups and sharing the wealth and technology throughout Africa : Bad, leads to ?????

Also maybe 2 of the songs tops from that album are in it
I just got out of the movie and Opps was like barely audible in that car chase scene. Like smh, how you gonna have an AOTY-grade soundtrack and barely use it in the actual movie at all? It would have elevated it so much.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I like the Black Panther album but I'm getting pretty sick of Kendrick's flow tbh.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGyQNEtHnI

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
see this does bring up one of the valid criticisms of soundcloud rap regardless of ur age imo, in that it's got way too many goofy rear end white dudes.
that may be true for a lot of music and genres and subsubgenres but yeah

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I did watch the movie

apparently you didnt very well

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've definitely posted this guy before when the topic comes up, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JA4QNmpteU

Ski Mask the Slump God has some serious talent and gets unfairly lumped into "Soundcloud rap". My man raps fast and accurate with really off-the-wall imagery and a not-too-serious vibe. This one rules too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-hDbAMLaU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/youngthug/status/965829800244928512

https://twitter.com/youngthug/status/965829836416536576

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this gonna be one of those situations like Kanye changing TLOP's title 10 times before release

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bandiet posted:

I like the Black Panther album but I'm getting pretty sick of Kendrick's flow tbh.

I kinda agree. Something like the chorus to King’s Dead I feel like I’ve heard a million times before from him already.

Also yeah Quantum not sure you watched the movie right. Dude literally says “the sun will never set on the Wakandan empire”

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 20, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

apparently you didnt very well

It ends with a white CIA guy helping overthrow the legal government of wakanda and assassinate its leader 🤔🤔🤔

Don't wanna start talking about movies and end up ruining my fave thread ever but the politics of a film called Black Panther are extremely suspect

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 20, 2018

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Can you morons take this chat about a movie that came out a few days ago to cineD

Fucks sake

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I will never go to CineD

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Then please spoiler your poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crumbletron posted:

Then please spoiler your poo poo

My bad

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Thanks pal :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

It ends with a white CIA guy helping overthrow the legal government of wakanda and assassinate its leader 🤔🤔🤔

Don't wanna start talking about movies and end up ruining my fave thread ever but the politics of a film called Black Panther are extremely suspect

Except that that "legal" government was formed under illegal circumstances as he was the one who caused Tchalla to fail to capture Klaue in the first place. His entire challenge was based off of a betrayal in the first place.

Killmonger was doing nothing but using the CIA's playbook to destabilize and over throw governments. "Hey let's give weapons to people in other countries, even if they are factually being oppressed, that surely is the right thing to do judging by the entire history of american imperialism and intervention. That never goes badly at all"

The only thing the white guy did to "help" was blow up some planes that were leaving with weapons. He did jack poo poo all when it came to the fight for the throne.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rapper with most generic name changing it to worst name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

black panther thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849227