Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I was listening to 99% invisible about the colosseum, and remembered that how intrigued I am of the types of battles in the colosseum ( water, animals, ect). Any podcasts that go in depth on that specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a podcast that covers international news weekly? Ideally it would cover global events, lean towards comedy (don’t want some super dry news show) and around 20 mins would be great.

I have something similar for local politics which is perfect but wanted to get some more news as I sometimes don’t have time to read or watch it.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone recommend some good re-watch/watch-through podcasts. Ideally they would go episode by episode and be relatively humorous.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Drashin posted:

Can anyone recommend some good re-watch/watch-through podcasts. Ideally they would go episode by episode and be relatively humorous.

Gilmore Guys is on my to-do list.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Drashin posted:

Well there's J.R. Watches Star Trek for the First Time which covers all of TOS, TNG, DS9, ENT, the movies, and even a smattering of VOY, which is (except for Voyager) episode by episode and pretty funny.

I'm also quite fond of an unofficial spin-off, called Braving Babylon 5 which while not all that humorous, is a pretty interesting episode by episode watch through of B5 from the POV of someone who hasn't watched the show before.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016

Drashin posted:

Diane is the best twin peaks podcast I’ve come across. Not particularly humorous but not overly serious or anything

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This guy has a weekly podcast now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmcYsMUay4

So far it's just him and a friend having random discussions. Nice to have on while at work and whatnot though

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
What's a good podcast app? Pocket Casts has poo poo the bed and is refusing to do anything other than stream. Anyone have another personal favorite I can check out?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Overcast for sure

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
For Android? (Sorry, I forgot that part.)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
is there a good podcast about conspiracy theories/cults/paranormal that isn't from true believers that are trying to sell me brain supplements

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Astonishing legends?

The boogie monster is supposed to be that but it's more try comedians shooting the poo poo for 45 min and then lazily going over a barely researched subject for 15.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Scionix posted:

is there a good podcast about conspiracy theories/cults/paranormal that isn't from true believers that are trying to sell me brain supplements

Mysterious Universe

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Scionix posted:

There's a podcast called Cults you might be interested in. The presenters have that NPR sedateness/"Well thanks Tom, now back to you" track to their voice, but overall the show is well done and they aren't purely U.S. Centric with the cults they discuss.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was enjoying Atlantas Monster until the show became entirely about Wayne. I mean like, yeah, of course it would. After he got arrested of course the primary focus would be on the guy who was arrested, tried, and convicted of the crime. But jesus Christ, that opening bit on the latest episode where they just let him talk forever convinced me that he must've done something. Maybe he didn't kill the kids but the adults he was convicted of killing, yeah I believe that.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Scionix posted:

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Scionix posted:

Astonishing Legends and Not Alone for more "serious" takes and What If? for comedy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GoingPostal posted:

Definitely go for Podcast Addict. Been using it for a couple years and it's great.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

GoingPostal posted:

I really like beyond Pod, but I did spring for the paid version.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Scionix posted:

"Oh No Ross and Carrie" might be in the neighborhood of what you're looking for.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GoingPostal posted:

I used podcast addict, it worked fine

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Thank you for all the recommendations, Mysterious Universe has been quite good so far. Does anyone pay for their extended episodes? Worth it?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Are there any other podcasts like Joe Rogan's, where it's basically a 2 hour conversation with a scientist or researcher, and generally pretty chill? Also the host is not a researcher himself.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a good podcast for learning another language, specifically Spanish? Uh, more specifically, Mexican Spanish? And even more specifically, something that actually teaches the language and grammar, and not just a weekly list of handy phrases to use? I can imagine learning "where is the bathroom?" and "I have red hair" can be super useful to some people, but I've never been able to learn through this method.

Actually, it's driving me nuts. I'm going through iTunes's list of podcasts for learning Spanish and so many teach by this method. I don't want to learn how to say "I am from the United States." I want to learn how to form the sentence on my own.

credburn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 15, 2018

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mike12345 posted:

Are there any other podcasts like Joe Rogan's, where it's basically a 2 hour conversation with a scientist or researcher, and generally pretty chill? Also the host is not a researcher himself.

I don't know the host's background, but maybe "People Behind the Science"?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

credburn posted:

Is there a good podcast for learning another language, specifically Spanish? Uh, more specifically, Mexican Spanish? And even more specifically, something that actually teaches the language and grammar, and not just a weekly list of handy phrases to use? I can imagine learning "where is the bathroom?" and "I have red hair" can be super useful to some people, but I've never been able to learn through this method.

Actually, it's driving me nuts. I'm going through iTunes's list of podcasts for learning Spanish and so many teach by this method. I don't want to learn how to say "I am from the United States." I want to learn how to form the sentence on my own.

Not a podcast, but check out the Michel Thomas Method, it's exactly this.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good/funny actual play podcast?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

fritz posted:

I don't know the host's background, but maybe "People Behind the Science"?

gave it a try, don't really like the presenter

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sampatrick posted:

What actual play?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sampatrick posted:

Role Playing Public Radio is a good listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so are there any good simspons podcasts not run by The Comic Book Guy? Tried Worst Episode Ever and fell off it a while ago (though I've heard it sucks less now?) and Talking Simspons just bored me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

Astonishing Legends and Not Alone for more "serious" takes and What If? for comedy.

Astonishing Legends is really good. Thanks for making me aware of it!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sexpig by night posted:

so are there any good simspons podcasts not run by The Comic Book Guy? Tried Worst Episode Ever and fell off it a while ago (though I've heard it sucks less now?) and Talking Simspons just bored me.

the australian one. Forgot the name. I stopped following it at the same time that I stopped following WEE.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mrfart posted:

the australian one. Forgot the name. I stopped following it at the same time that I stopped following WEE.

Four Finger Discount

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
A very fatal murder is pretty funny.
Of course, making parodies of the same stupid commercials everybody heard a million times in every podcast for the last years is low hanging fruit.
But I had some good laughs.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Four Finger Discount

Is this actually any good? I listened to one episode which was an hour long and half of it was just them talking about random unrelated poo poo which wasn’t interesting or funny.

I much preferred Talking Simpsons but as I said I’ve only done one episode of Four Finger Discount.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Scionix posted:

Last Podcast On The Left is half this, half true crime. One of the members is a true believer in chaos magic but he doesn't let that get in the way apart from the occasional remark.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Worth mentioning that I really enjoyed their four-part Jonestown series that just wrapped if you want an introduction and are interested in cults.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snowmankilla posted:

I was listening to 99% invisible about the colosseum, and remembered that how intrigued I am of the types of battles in the colosseum ( water, animals, ect). Any podcasts that go in depth on that specifically?
The latest Hardcore History isn't too much more in depth on that specifically, but it has that and things like that and some context:
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-61-blitz-painfotainment/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

AceOfFlames posted:

Last Podcast On The Left is half this, half true crime. One of the members is a true believer in chaos magic but he doesn't let that get in the way apart from the occasional remark.

sweet_jones posted:

Worth mentioning that I really enjoyed their four-part Jonestown series that just wrapped if you want an introduction and are interested in cults.
Thirding Last Podcast, but just a note that even they say that their early episodes are terrible and should be skipped. I'd say start with something beyond episode 100 or so; Roswell was my introduction and is a good one if you want alien stuff, and for true crime stuff the Unabomber and Oklahoma City bombing series were both fascinating.