Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The plot for P3DMN and P5DSM has been revealed.

quote:

■ Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night Story

One day, the members of the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad are gathered in a room that becomes Club Velvet. Elizabeth, who calls herself Eli-P, suddenly appears before the confused group, and loudly announces that she is going to throw a party. She informs the characters that they are going to show off their dance skills as her guests.

Moving things forward on her own terms, Elizabeth forces the bewildered group to perform at the party… What is Elizabeth’s goal…? The dream party of Persona users begins now!

■ Persona 5: Dancing Star Night Story

When the protagonist awakens, he and the Phantom Thieves are gathered in a room that becomes Club Velvet.

Velvet Room residents Justine and Caroline suddenly appeared before the startled Phantom Thieves, and announced that they are going to throw a dance party.

While the sudden announcement surprised the group, they were forced to accept the twins proposal as a “request” for the Phantom Thieves. How will this mysterious party unfold…?

There's a SL mechanic called Commu.

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/persona-3-dancing-moon-night-persona-5-dancing-star-night-detail-stories-commu-costumes#3qtOxzbpGcOG7PC5.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's a SL mechanic called Commu.

So, Social Links. Because Commu is short for Community which is just what the Japanese releases call it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The plot for P3DMN and P5DSM has been revealed.

Take that, Igor! Apparently, Elizabeth won't be denied.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AllMvsaj-bQ

That Mummy costume

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnSymvzuus

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If one of Ann's outfits isn't wearing her whole wardrobe at once Atlus hosed up

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/es_series/status/965023989033676800

Dreams do come true.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's happening here

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

New P5 merch featuring Akechi fig and Joker nendo. I never expected to see Akechi get a decent fig because of reasons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

New P5 merch featuring Akechi fig and Joker nendo. I never expected to see Akechi get a decent fig because of reasons.

He was pretty much surgically designed to be popular with female fans and he got voted as the most popular character in the Japanese poll a while back, though I guess the latter happening did trigger more backlash for the character with the 2chan types.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

He was pretty much surgically designed to be popular with female fans and he got voted as the most popular character in the Japanese poll a while back, though I guess the latter happening did trigger more backlash for the character with the 2chan types.

To be fair he does deserve a lot of hate.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair he does deserve a lot of hate.

leave my anime bf alone <:mad:>

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Considering his gimmick is more or less Adachi but hot, and that guy had a frightening amount of fangirls, well...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering his gimmick is more or less Adachi but hot, and that guy had a frightening amount of fangirls, well...

By gimmick do you mean friend who turns out to be foe? Because that's about all they have in common so far as I can recall.

This is random but while I'm here, how do you pronounce "Jun?" It is just jun or is it like June? There's a character named Jun in Tekken where it's pronounced June but she's a girl and I didn't know if there was any difference.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Adachi is hot :colbert:

I finally started getting into mainline SMT after playing all the modern Persona games - I want to play some of them before SMTV comes out in 2027. I decided to start with Nocturne and then work my way through the rest of the PS2 library. Even though a lot of things are familiar, I've gotta say it's a completely different type of game. Even early on, and on normal difficulty, Nocturne really hates you. So far I'm about 10 hours in, I had a minor speedbump at Matador but did make it to Ikebukuro yesterday, where luck was on my side for once instead of the game's.

I'm digging it so far.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Adachi is hot :colbert:

I finally started getting into mainline SMT after playing all the modern Persona games - I want to play some of them before SMTV comes out in 2027. I decided to start with Nocturne and then work my way through the rest of the PS2 library. Even though a lot of things are familiar, I've gotta say it's a completely different type of game. Even early on, and on normal difficulty, Nocturne really hates you. So far I'm about 10 hours in, I had a minor speedbump at Matador but did make it to Ikebukuro yesterday, where luck was on my side for once instead of the game's.

I'm digging it so far.

Nocturne is very, very good. You know there are multiple routes in most SMT games? Are you aiming for any of them? You have a long time to make up your mind, just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyd3Y-vrwSI

This is one of the best boss themes I've ever heard. In fact, everything about Matador was perfect. Just really well-done storytelling.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 19, 2018

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I'm familiar with the alignment system in passing. Probably not going to shoot for any particular route, it's my first time so I'm just gonna wing it. I don't really want to follow a guide or anything since it's my first time playing. I am using a guide that lists the magatama skills and a fusion calculator, so I can kinda plan my build and demons.

I agree with you on Matador's theme and the game's soundtrack in general. I'd still say P5 is my favorite Atlus soundtrack, but they're all good. Nocturne has this weird early 2000s nu-metal vibe to the sound that I really like.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NikkolasKing posted:

By gimmick do you mean friend who turns out to be foe? Because that's about all they have in common so far as I can recall.

This is random but while I'm here, how do you pronounce "Jun?" It is just jun or is it like June? There's a character named Jun in Tekken where it's pronounced June but she's a girl and I didn't know if there was any difference.

Pronounced "June". Gender doesn't make a difference, it's one of those androgynous names anyways

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I swear I'm not trying to turn this into "fench liveblogs his nocturne playthrough" but I had a lot of fun again tonight in Nihilo HQ. This game is growing on me more every time I play it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You should liveblog your nocturne playthrough anyways, that's always fun. Not like people are posting about anything else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I swear I'm not trying to turn this into "fench liveblogs his nocturne playthrough" but I had a lot of fun again tonight in Nihilo HQ. This game is growing on me more every time I play it

Saagonsa posted:

You should liveblog your nocturne playthrough anyways, that's always fun. Not like people are posting about anything else.

It's always fun to see someone playing through Nocturne their first time, especially when they're having a positive reaction to it. My friend's playing through the game for the first time too, and he's about where you are and it's fun as hell. He still hasn't figured out the power of reflection despite my occasional guidance when he's having a really hard time. He died to to Matador for two hours straight until I suggested he swap out his force-weak party members. Then he beat it immediately because despite that he'd still been getting the bastard down to the last quarter of HP.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought a 20th anniversary persona 5 box for $60 and I’m pretty excited about that

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought a 20th anniversary persona 5 box for $60 and I’m pretty excited about that

But Persona 5 hasn't even been out for 2 years.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Nuebot posted:

It's always fun to see someone playing through Nocturne their first time, especially when they're having a positive reaction to it. My friend's playing through the game for the first time too, and he's about where you are and it's fun as hell. He still hasn't figured out the power of reflection despite my occasional guidance when he's having a really hard time. He died to to Matador for two hours straight until I suggested he swap out his force-weak party members. Then he beat it immediately because despite that he'd still been getting the bastard down to the last quarter of HP.

:agreed: , liveblog away.

Reflect and Counter kills are always so satisfying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

First time I killed myself by having my Tornado repelled on me was pretty funny, yeah. I legitimately laughed.

And I share the encouragement to liveblog away. I do that all the time with my games. Not so much on here but I love sharing my experience with others. That's what fiction of all types is for.

I got another random question, though. Was there any substantive changes to Naoto in the P4 localization? I swear I was once talking about her character issues and somebody said "well she wasn't like that in the original." Obviously I do not know because I haven't played the original but her being a girl pretending to be a boy seemed pretty central to her character. I think they were saying that Naoto being ab oy was more obvious in Japanese or something.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
No there were no substantive changes to Naoto. A lot of people like to use the language barrier to spin bullshit, looks like you caught one example

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There actually is a difference between Naoto in the original and Naoto in the localized version but it isn't a matter of translation, it's a matter of perception. In Japan, a detective that's a young boy is a huge trope. Kogoro Akechi, the Japanese equivalent to Sherlock Holmes, had a bunch of spinoff novels by the same author called the Boys' Detective Club, a series of novels about Akechi's young assistant/protege having to solve crimes with the help of his friends. Those novels were actually somewhat more popular than the main Akechi ones, being Young Adult mysteries at a time when those didn't really exist in Japan. This trope, of a young boy detective, was further codified by Detective Conan, an incredibly long running anime that's been going nonstop since the late 90s, about the adventures of a detective that gets trapped in the body of his school-age self.

In contrast, when Americans think of a young detective, they probably think of Nancy Drew. Combine that with the fact that female VAs playing high school boys is pretty common in Japan but not really in America, and the fact that Naoto's japanese VA is pretty famous for playing teenage boys in anime (Hitsugaya in Bleach, Edward in Fullmetal Alchemist) and there's pretty obviously a cultural thing at play, where it becomes much easier to buy Naoto at facevalue as a young male detective, unlike the US where I don't think I've ever seen anyone think she was a guy when she was introduced.

But there's no difference in like, how any of that is written or portrayed. Naoto pretty obviously identifies as a girl. If anything, the Japanese version makes that 'she really is a girl' stuff in her S. Link with you having her put on the girl's uniform more blatant and heavyhanded.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Naoto was a guy. I only watch dubs and I've seen anime where androgynous guys are voiced by women, especially younger ones. But I'm also pretty slow on these kinds of things. Plus it was all happening right around the time Kanji was maybe gay or not so "Mysterious Boy" being a girl made that seemingly pointless to me.

Oh well, thanks for the info everyone. I really liked P4G's dub and it looks like it was pretty well-done and faithful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

congratulations on disproving my theory!!

but yeah fair i can see thinking that

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Another important thing to note is that "Naoto" is a very ordinary, gender-neutral name in Japan. I always thought it had a feminine air to it, but it's the Japanese equivalent of like... "Alex" or "Hunter".

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
A while ago, someone told me "Raidou isn't really that great, maybe just play the 2nd one", and I want to ask that person what the hell they were on about

There is nothing about being a katana-wielding demon-summoning private dick in 1930s Japan, solving a mysterious kidnapping with my talking cat and having demon-assisted telepathic conversations with a dog about my hopes and dreams that doesn't absolutely loving rule

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Another important thing to note is that "Naoto" is a very ordinary, gender-neutral name in Japan. I always thought it had a feminine air to it, but it's the Japanese equivalent of like... "Alex" or "Hunter".

Those are the worst examples. Why not "Sam" or "Jugemu Jugemu Go-Kō-no-Surikire Kaijari-suigyo no Suigyō-matsu Unrai-matsu Fūrai-matsu Kū-Neru Tokoro ni Sumu Tokoro Yaburakōji no Burakōji Paipo Paipo Paipo no Shūringan Shūringan no Gūrindai Gūrindai no Ponpokopii no Ponpokonaa no Chōkyūmei no Chōsuke"?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Instant Grat posted:

A while ago, someone told me "Raidou isn't really that great, maybe just play the 2nd one", and I want to ask that person what the hell they were on about

There is nothing about being a katana-wielding demon-summoning private dick in 1930s Japan, solving a mysterious kidnapping with my talking cat and having demon-assisted telepathic conversations with a dog about my hopes and dreams that doesn't absolutely loving rule

They're not wrong, though. Soulless Army is okay but mostly kinda boring.

King Abaddon, on the other hand, loving rules and is genuinely one of the best SMT games period. You could even make a strong argument for it being the best, and I'm not sure I could say you're wrong.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

Those are the worst examples. Why not "Sam" or "Jugemu Jugemu Go-Kō-no-Surikire Kaijari-suigyo no Suigyō-matsu Unrai-matsu Fūrai-matsu Kū-Neru Tokoro ni Sumu Tokoro Yaburakōji no Burakōji Paipo Paipo Paipo no Shūringan Shūringan no Gūrindai Gūrindai no Ponpokopii no Ponpokonaa no Chōkyūmei no Chōsuke"?

Gesundheit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Another important thing to note is that "Naoto" is a very ordinary, gender-neutral name in Japan.
if anything id say naoto leans more towards male. all the real life famous people named naoto are male, and the name seems to have gained a lot of popularity after a guy named naoto tajima won a gold medal at the 1936 olympics and set a world record.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dragonatrix posted:

They're not wrong, though. Soulless Army is okay but mostly kinda boring.

King Abaddon, on the other hand, loving rules and is genuinely one of the best SMT games period. You could even make a strong argument for it being the best, and I'm not sure I could say you're wrong.

I'm having a blast with Soulless Army! So if King Abaddon is really that much better, I'm hella excited

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

We can talk about P3/5 Dance and Akechi like where is his spotlight intro video?!

Raidou is good and I'm sad we'll never play Raidou 3 on current gen systems.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

In contrast, when Americans think of a young detective, they probably think of Nancy Drew. Combine that with the fact that female VAs playing high school boys is pretty common in Japan but not really in America, and the fact that Naoto's japanese VA is pretty famous for playing teenage boys in anime (Hitsugaya in Bleach, Edward in Fullmetal Alchemist) and there's pretty obviously a cultural thing at play, where it becomes much easier to buy Naoto at facevalue as a young male detective, unlike the US where I don't think I've ever seen anyone think she was a guy when she was introduced.

The boy detective archetype exists in the US too with stuff like Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown but you’re probably right that Nancy Drew is more remembered today. I think I had the Naoto “twist” spoiled to me before I even played the game but I feel like she would have read as a girl to me for some reason anyway

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Naoto being a girl might be one of the worst kept secrets, right up there with snape kills dumbledore

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

We can talk about P3/5 Dance and Akechi like where is his spotlight intro video?!

He is to busy rotting in the alleyway as an unidentified corpse to worry about dancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Instant Grat posted:

That might have been me? I say that a bunch. It's because the first game is really stiff gameplay-wise compared to the second and it's really easy to get bogged down with the awkward combat and stuff. The sequel improves upon it all. They're both fine games, but if someone's only going to play one I'd suggest the second. I mean, I liked a few of the plot points in the first one more, but overall I feel the second is just better. I love the raidou games in general though and really want a third.