Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That's one way to hide your hot science teacher boner

Bette than the tried and true goon strategy of pretending to be a cat and running out on all fours while meowing.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Bette than the tried and true goon strategy of pretending to be a cat and running out on all fours while meowing.

Oh drat I was gonna say the exact same thing

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/zYQwpHd.gifv

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm currently keeping an eye on this trainwreck: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/flight-sim-devs-say-hidden-password-dump-tool-was-used-to-fight-pirates/

quote:

FSLabs head Lefteris Kalamaras responded to the uproar over the discovery on the company's forums, arguing that the hidden file does not "reveal any sensitive information of any customer who has legitimately purchased our products" (emphasis in original).

It's okay to invade privacy and steal all their passwords as long as the target is unequivocally guilty, right?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tagra posted:

I'm currently keeping an eye on this trainwreck: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/flight-sim-devs-say-hidden-password-dump-tool-was-used-to-fight-pirates/

It's okay to invade privacy and steal all their passwords as long as the target is unequivocally guilty, right?

LOL pretty funny though. Steal our mod? gently caress you I'll steal your bank account.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

"This method has already successfully provided information that we're going to use in our ongoing legal battles against such criminals," he wrote.

Please let him stand up in court and admit to stealing people's passwords and using them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tagra posted:

I mean as long as a) you never wanted to sell a single thing ever again and b) wanted to encourage people to strip out the malware and pirate the poo poo out of everything you do sell, this seems like a great idea!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Was it covered in the eula

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

KoRMaK posted:

Was it covered in the eula

It doesn't matter. You can't put something in a ToS/EULA that allows you to break the law.

Imagine I said "Yes you can come into my place of business but I'm allowed to kick you in the nuts" in a sign out the front. Even with that sign, if I kicked you in the nuts, you could have me arrested for assault. It's why "beware of the dog" signs don't provide any protection to the owner of the dog.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/LoKVKN6.mp4

I'm sure this has been posted before but there are so many premature celebration videos out there, who can keep them all straight?

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Feb 20, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

I mean as long as a) you never wanted to sell a single thing ever again and b) wanted to encourage people to strip out the malware and pirate the poo poo out of everything you do sell, this seems like a great idea!

Didn't Steam teach these idiots that making your product more accessible is immeasurably better that putting in horrible protection that treats your customers like criminals?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Didn't Steam teach these idiots that making your product more accessible is immeasurably better that putting in horrible protection that treats your customers like criminals?

lol. you think flight sim people use steam

flight sim developers are all incompetent conspiracy theorist grognards who think that Valve is going to steal their work or ruin their life or something, and the vast majority of the flight sim community are dunning-krugerites with Stockholm Syndrome who can't stop fellating the developers and defending their every move, regardless of how stupid and harmful it is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tagra posted:

They've released an updated statement indicating that this whole thing was to catch one cracker, and that they never intended to use it against anyone except this one person. Omitting the fact that now that this tool is installed, some other, less scrupulous person could theoretically access it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

lol. you think flight sim people use steam

No. I'd hoped those idiots had learned the lesson of Steam.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

One time I had my phone fall out of my pocket as I was sitting in my car and closing the door, and it got crushed between the door and frame. I guess that's what I get for leaving the house in sweatpants.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

There'd have been people taping and posting that if even half of that was true. And then a picture of some woman talking on a phone with no cops around at the end as "proof" just screamed made up to me. I'd probably believe it more if that wasn't included.

Yeah basically nothing happens like that these days without someone getting video, especially if it's the sort of thing that ends in police.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gorilla Salad posted:

No. I'd hoped those idiots had learned the lesson of Steam.

Is that anything like the Riddle of Steel? Maybe we should get James Earl Jones in a bad wig to explain it to them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A stuntman's final stunt is always his worst stunt :smith:

Edit: unless you're Ken Carter, of course. He was a Canadian stuntman who was always trying to beat Evel Knievel's reputation and he spent 5 years trying to get his biggest and best stunt financed and promoted. Things went ...... not great.

This documentary is 100 minutes long but it's got some world class schadenfreude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5WCpFY0PE

I just watched this whoooooooole thing. My favorite part was when two of the 'engineers' were first testing the gas tank for the rocket car, it exploded (that scene is actually the thumbnail for the video). So they ordered another one. It exploded. So they bought the parts and assembled one themselves because "if you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself." It exploded.

Highly recommended to watch a bunch of Canadian hillbillies try to put them Duke boys to shame :canada:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is that anything like the Riddle of Steel? Maybe we should get James Earl Jones in a bad wig to explain it to them.

Oh no, it's far worse than any mere snake god.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I just watched this whoooooooole thing. My favorite part was when two of the 'engineers' were first testing the gas tank for the rocket car, it exploded (that scene is actually the thumbnail for the video). So they ordered another one. It exploded. So they bought the parts and assembled one themselves because "if you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself." It exploded.

Highly recommended to watch a bunch of Canadian hillbillies try to put them Duke boys to shame :canada:

Yeah I watch the whole drat thing too. It was an amazing watch. Those rocket guys were a definite highlight (that strange cut of him staring into the camera at the end-wtf), as was the bit where he tried to cram himself into a too small boiler suit. Also the late seventies fashion! :allears: It's so close to being a parody. Pro-click.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I'd be disappointed if this got buried without comment (but not as disappointed as the cat).

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Nsfw https://imgur.com/gallery/j8Weg

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

It's so close to being a parody. Pro-click.

Or the part where they're building the giant ramp and the head engineer is being all friendly and giving interviews, then when they bring out the big crane to lift the huge metal end of the ramp that extends beyond the earthen base, it doesn't loving fit, the bolts are offset by like a foot. He wouldn't give any interviews after that :( But you're absolutely right, if you told me this was a mocumentary of rural Canadians that was just made to look like the 70s I would have no reason to doubt you. Especially if it starred Will Ferrell (my god, that would be perfect...). Getting Poe's Law'd hard right now.

Yond Cassius posted:

I'd be disappointed if this got buried without comment (but not as disappointed as the cat).

That cat is weak. Both of mine are box crazed lunatics and wouldn't hesitate to wedge themselves underneath the cardboard and wait for me to walk by in bare feet :argh:

This gives me a 404 :shrug:

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

and already gone as well

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

I know this is old but I was getting caught up after a week and was just wondering what's happening here, cause it doesn't look like whatever is being swung at him connects.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Or the part where they're building the giant ramp and the head engineer is being all friendly and giving interviews, then when they bring out the big crane to lift the huge metal end of the ramp that extends beyond the earthen base, it doesn't loving fit, the bolts are offset by like a foot. He wouldn't give any interviews after that :( But you're absolutely right, if you told me this was a mocumentary of rural Canadians that was just made to look like the 70s I would have no reason to doubt you. Especially if it starred Will Ferrell (my god, that would be perfect...). Getting Poe's Law'd hard right now.

Funnily enough that's exactly who I thought of too. They wouldn't even have to change that much. Get in the guys who play Troy and Abed for those 'engineers'.

Just have to share my favourite fashion moments from it

Those eyebrows!!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If like me, you don't really have time today to watch a movie, I recommend this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEyJxcjhGoo

Which gives a TL:DR version of the jump taken from an episode of 'Destroyed in Seconds'.

Holy poo poo that catalogue of disasters at the end.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Woman arrested after 'move your van' note on ambulance

quote:

26-year-old woman has been arrested after an abusive note was left on an ambulance dealing with a 999 call.

The handwritten message, in which the writer said she did not care "if the whole street collasped [sic]", was left in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, on Sunday.

The woman, from Tunstall, was arrested on suspicion of public order offences and remains in police custody.

Mike Duggan, operational manager from the West Midlands Ambulance Service, said the paramedics also received verbal abuse as well as the note.

She was actually arrested for verbally abusing the paramedics, but how loving clueless do you need to be to leave a note like that on a loving ambulance?

But maybe she didn't realise the "van" was an ambulance. So, what does a UK ambulance actually look like?

You can see how she might not have realised.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Feb 20, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I feel compelled to point out this is the second time in a month or so someone's left a lovely note on an ambulance while they're saving someone's life.

Stoke on Trent is a classy place, let me tell you.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Old but just remembered this

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115486-The-Ultimate-Star-Trek-Apartment-Is-Lost-To-Divorce

quote:

A man who spent ten years turning an apartment into the ultimate Star Trek bachelor pad is going to lose it all in a divorce.

Believe it or not, Tony Alleyne's wife didn't leave him because he turned their apartment into a highly-detailed [and hideously expensive] replica of the interior of the U.S.S. Voyager, the starship from the sci-fi television show of the same name. He transformed his one-bedroom apartment after she left him, handcrafting the whole thing himself, and while it's a little crazy, it's also pretty amazing handiwork. Obsessive or not, and questionable choice of Star Trek series to emulate notwithstanding, the results are undeniably impressive.

Alas, that decade of hopes, dreams and hard work will all soon be in the dumpster. Alleyne's wife left him in '94 but apparently didn't bother to seek a divorce until recently, and now that she has, she wants to sell the apartment "as a conventional property."

"To say I'm gutted is an understatement. It is my life's work - and it looks like it's going into a skip," Alleyne said. "I admit there were tears."

It's hard not to feel sorry for the guy, especially since he sunk more than $150,000 into building his dream home, but tempering that sympathy is the fact that his soon-to-be-ex-wife is the one who actually owns the apartment and has been paying the mortgage on it since they split almost 20 years ago. It's a sad loss of a tremendous amount of time, effort and money, not to mention one of the most gloriously nerdy joints ever made, but I can't help thinking that if Alleyne had put some of that money and effort into actually paying for the place instead of turning it into his own personal television set, he might not have to chuck it all into the garbage.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I just googled him to see what he is up to now and :stare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23994131

quote:

A Star Trek fan who converted his flat into a replica of the Starship Enterprise has been jailed for downloading thousands of images of child abuse.

Anthony Alleyne, from Hinckley, Leicestershire, was jailed at Leicester Crown Court for 34 months.

The 60-year-old spent 10 years and thousands of pounds converting his home, which was inspired by the long-running TV series.

He previously admitted 22 charges.

Alleyne pleaded guilty to 20 charges relating to indecent images of child abuse and two further charges related to offences of a serious sexual nature.

Of the more than 5,000 pictures he accessed between 2010 and 2012 many involved very young children and more than half were of the most serious category of abuse.

In sentencing Alleyne, Judge Philip Head said: "Without people like you accessing such material there would be no market and poor, desperate children would not be treated that way by depraved people.

"You have no real regret save for being caught."

He added: "This kind of sentence is what to expect if you are caught behaving this way at the expense of traumatised, brutalised children."

The police officer who raided Alleyne's flat said it was "decked out as Star Trek Enterprise ship"
Alleyne was made the subject of a 10-year sexual offences prevention order, meaning his computer use will be monitored.

He will also have to sign the sex offenders' register indefinitely.

The court was told he suffered depression and rarely left home following the break up of his marriage.

It was during this 17-year unemployed period he devoted himself to converting the flat into a replica of the Starship Enterprise, even building a replica transporter unit.

Police raided his flat in September 2012 after details from the police internet protocol unit but he initially refused to give passwords to online accounts.

He later deleted information from a different computer but experts were able to retrieve the information.

The court was told Alleyne was forced to put his flat on the market after his ex-wife, who owned the building, decided to sell.

He ripped out the Starship Enterprise design when he could not find someone to meet the £800,000 price tag and instead began to convert it into a design based on the spin-off series Star Trek Voyager.

However, he had to file for bankruptcy after taking out loans and using credit cards to start a business offering similar science fiction-themed makeovers.

That saying- 'Not all Star Trek fans are paedos, but all paedos are Star Trek fans' was never truer.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Feb 20, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

I feel compelled to point out this is the second time in a month or so someone's left a lovely note on an ambulance while they're saving someone's life.

Stoke on Trent is a classy place, let me tell you.

Live down the road from it, can confirm.

We had an ambulance blocking the access to the rear of the house (where a lot of the street parks) the other week. It was awkward as gently caress but no-one left a lovely message on the windscreen- one day it could be us that needs that ambulance.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What is with that drat show and pedophiles?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I think there's something deeply broken with the genre of sci fi as a whole - and I say this as a nerd who consumed countless sci fi books growing up.

Looking back now, so many authors put so much creepy poo poo into their works.

From Heinlein's racism, incest and misogyny, Larry Niven's casual paedophilia and beastiality or Piers Anthony's love of rape, paedophilia, incest and coprophagia; so many authors seem to be deeply hosed in the head and just loved sharing it with the reader.

Asimov, despite keeping his books pretty clean, was infamous for never being allowed to be alone with women at cons.

And that's just off the top of my head. There's a lot more.

As a kid I'd read all these books and see these things and think, "Oh, look at me, I'm so mature reading about these issues. You won't find this grown up stuff in other genres."

But that was because I had no context for what I was reading. I couldn't see it for what it was, how hosed up so much of it was.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Feb 20, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if any Star Trek fans that think DS9 is the best Star Trek are pedophiles.

I mean who the gently caress loves Voyager that much? Only a pedophile could.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

people bad at math wrt photon torpedos

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not a nazi furry.

Alas, the scootin' frooty is on me.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Takes No Damage posted:

This gives me a 404 :shrug:

Works for me, but gave me a 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

I'm not a nazi furry.

Alas, the scootin' frooty is on me.

lmao how did you get that one given to you?

here you can have this one

Slugnoid has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Feb 20, 2018