Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

mine copied SMS and call history over just fine :shrug:

Mine did too, Pixel XL to Pixel 2 XL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Get SMS BACKUP +

Syncs to Gmail. Your SMS becomes searchable when logging into a browser. The only problem is you need a good consistent wifi connection because if it fails and you start again, it begins at 0 again. It won't make multiples of the same messages or anything but you can't guarantee everything makes it through unless you go through the whole thing at once.

Also for RAM impact, I switched from an MZP1 to a Pixel XL 2 and I don't know if it's more RAM, issues with Moto's ROM, or the high end processor but stuff that used to get kicked out of memory or fail somehow on the MZP1 works much better on the P2XL. Simple things like DNS66, even. And I can run even more superfluous apps all the time and it works.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't save all your SMS messages. Haven't you seen Black Mirror - The Entire History of You?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I am thinking about rooting my S7 Edge. It looks like this would trip KNOX from what I see of the current methods

I don't care about the warranty, but would that mean losing access to Banking apps, 'Secured" apps, Google Pay, etc? Or does Magisk make this a non-issue?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Mayo posted:

I am thinking about rooting
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't save all your SMS messages. Haven't you seen Black Mirror - The Entire History of You?

I wonder if that's one of the reasons it failed. I'm the kind of jerk that goes back to find old text messages when I need information, so maybe I just have way too many texts for it to process. And yeah that was a great episode!

Yeah I just checked and my oldest text to my wife is from 2012. I'm actually surprised it doesn't go back farther.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 20, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Alpha Mayo posted:

I am thinking about rooting my S7 Edge. It looks like this would trip KNOX from what I see of the current methods

I don't care about the warranty, but would that mean losing access to Banking apps, 'Secured" apps, Google Pay, etc? Or does Magisk make this a non-issue?

Just the presence of root apps is quite often enough for secure apps like that to quit. And that's provided you don't manage to trip Knox. Once you do that, most stuff irreparably stops.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

docbeard posted:

I guess if you're avoiding cloud based solutions, transferring one file is easier than transferring thousands of them.
Putting them in a regular folder works great for that. Either copying the folder or selecting all in the folder and copying that is piss easy. Will have partial result you can resume from on interruption as a bonus. Won't require fifteen minutes of unzipping gigabytes on your phone.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

mine copied SMS and call history over just fine :shrug:

Same here... My old device was a Moto Droid 2 running Android 7. The transfer cable brought just about everything over, even the settings for many apps.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

damnit. we just had a discussion about how good it is.

I'm not switching. :colbert:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

It breaks a lot of poo poo - Netflix, Android Pay, Samsung pay, Samsung health, some other health apps, secure folders etc. Not to mention it makes it trivial to re-use your device and steal your existing data in case of loss/theft.
Netflix mostly works with Magisk but the rest of it not.

For whatever reason you want to root, it's almost certainly not worth it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

OldPueblo posted:

I wonder if that's one of the reasons it failed. I'm the kind of jerk that goes back to find old text messages when I need information, so maybe I just have way too many texts for it to process. And yeah that was a great episode!

Yeah I just checked and my oldest text to my wife is from 2012. I'm actually surprised it doesn't go back farther.

This is why SMS Backup+ is good. It's way easier to mine your text messages for data with gmail search then it is to do it in whatever app.

Plus, SMS Backup+ has that sweet 2012-era Holo theme.

(FWIW, the transfer cable system worked fine goign from a 6P to a Pixel XL for me)

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 20, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SMS Backup+ stopped threading my SMS conversations properly years ago for some reason. My replies to all my conversations are one single thread, and all the incoming stuff is separate.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

SMS Backup+ stopped threading my SMS conversations properly years ago for some reason. My replies to all my conversations are one single thread, and all the incoming stuff is separate.

Huh, I don't have that problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Huh, I don't have that problem.

It's MMS that's the issue actually, misspoke a bit. Any picture I send ends up as a conversation with my own phone number.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon's deal of the day is the Moto x4 for $250.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Generation-hands-free-Exclusive/dp/B077RNH9HT

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I endorse this Good Deal, for what that's worth

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm trying to come up with mental gymnastics to justify replacing my "spare" Moto Z Play with this, but there really isn't much of an upgrade here other than having an more compact design.

It's a fantastic bargain though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Does that Alexa bullshit interfere with using Google Assistant?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm trying to come up with mental gymnastics to justify replacing my "spare" Moto Z Play with this, but there really isn't much of an upgrade here other than having an more compact design.

It's a fantastic bargain though.

What does a "spare" mean in this context? I only usually hear people on reddit talking about spare smartphones. A $300 phone isn't my idea of a spare haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My phone is my only communication device, I like to have more than one on hand in case my primary device breaks. It doesn't make sense to keep my old phone anymore to do that since flagships retain value fine.

Plus, it's nice to have around the house as a Chromecast source.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

You can turn it off, n'est-ce pas?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if having them both active simultaneously would lead to hilarious and good things, but it's trivial to switch off Alexa.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a standing recommendation for a 3.5mm adapter for the Pixel 2? I have bluetooth headphones, but also its just more convenient (or used to be) to be able to plug in a standard unpowered set for making phone calls, especially long conference calls. Or even just an inexpensive set of USB-C earbuds with microphone? The one's I use for phone calls were like $8, I'm not trying for audiophile level stuff here.

Pretty much all of the reviews for every adapter on Amazon say they do not work with the Pixel 2. I'm wondering if this is a Pixel 2 problem, as the adapter that came with the phone never works.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm assuming the odds of the Moto G6 being better than the X4 to be slim?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm assuming the odds of the Moto G6 being better than the X4 to be slim?

Motorola's product stack has gotten all messed up. The G5+ and the X4 are pretty drat similar, and the $240 G5+ configuration has more RAM than the X4 they're selling in the US.

There's a reason why there's only a $10 difference between them today. I think the G6 is expected to have an 18:9 screen, as is the new norm for 2018 phones.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone got a Mate 10 Pro here and can speak to the software?

Like how bad is it? Are there fixs in anyway? Everyting I've heard has said the hardware is great, its just the software which sounds like a fixable problem.

I just love my Nexus 6P so much, my replacement needs to have the features that left me enamored with the 6P

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

I'm wondering if this is a Pixel 2 problem, as the adapter that came with the phone never works.

Have them replace it? It's all still under warranty.

I've never had an issue with the included adapter.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cerepol posted:

Like how bad is it? Are there fixs in anyway? Everyting I've heard has said the hardware is great, its just the software which sounds like a fixable problem.

I just love my Nexus 6P so much, my replacement needs to have the features that left me enamored with the 6P

Pixel 2 XL

(don't janitor your phone)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maybe this a better question for the Project FI thread, but can anyone with a Project Fi Android One X4 comment on how the patching has actually worked? Is it better than Moto's spotty patch schedule?

Have they announced when it's getting a 8.X upgrade?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cerepol posted:

Why would you drop that much money on a phone that has a ton of problems when the best phone that money can buy is the same price? Just get a Pixel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get the mate 10 because I think it will get rare relatively soon when Huawei products are banned in the US.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cerepol posted:

This guy seems to love it ... (Reddit post, you've been warned)

https://www.reddit.com/r/android/comments/7ymwmd/_/duie8ey?context=1000

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can understand looking at Huawei when they are the cheap value option, but why in the hell anyone would consider one at Pixel/Galaxy/iPhone money?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I can understand looking at Huawei when they are the cheap value option, but why in the hell anyone would consider one at Pixel/Galaxy/iPhone money?

Agreed, the Mate 10 Pro is definitely a solid phone but it's $1100-1200 CAD which is literally the price of a Pixel 2 XL or Note 8, just get that because it's better.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe this a better question for the Project FI thread, but can anyone with a Project Fi Android One X4 comment on how the patching has actually worked? Is it better than Moto's spotty patch schedule?

Have they announced when it's getting a 8.X upgrade?

I have the Android One X4 on Project Fi. While it seems like it doesn't get updates nearly as fast as the pixel line of phones, it's not too terribly far behind (I guess). I'm sitting on 8.0 and Jan 1 security patch right now which is probably a lot better than Motorola's update schedule.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Motorola's product stack has gotten all messed up. The G5+ and the X4 are pretty drat similar, and the $240 G5+ configuration has more RAM than the X4 they're selling in the US.

There's a reason why there's only a $10 difference between them today. I think the G6 is expected to have an 18:9 screen, as is the new norm for 2018 phones.

Yeah it doesn't seem that much better than my existing G5+ that I only need to upgrade because it's a 32GB/2GB configuration that seems to poop itself when both Spotify and Maps are running at the same time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd consider the 2018 Nokia 6 when it comes out. Similar specs to the Moto G6 but their software updates are much faster. Amazon also got rid of their lockscreen ads so the Amazon ad version isn't that bad.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I will use Swype until it stops working. Then I will bitch incessantly. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Nalin posted:

I will use Swype until it stops working. Then I will bitch incessantly. :argh:

same. I paid good survey money for this one time years ago!