Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

[*]Alien Artifact: An alien device that limits detection
Perhaps this is what contributed to the weirdness in the recent mission: maybe this is some kind of visibility or cloaking device. Don't have to research it now, just pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
Loving the thread.

Put me in the agent list coach, I want to die

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

nnnotime posted:

Perhaps this is what contributed to the weirdness in the recent mission: maybe this is some kind of visibility or cloaking device. Don't have to research it now, just pointing it out.

yeah it gotta be, but I have no memory of it. Also I remember the alien rocket as a lot different than this for some reason.

Sick Ness Monster posted:

Loving the thread.

Put me in the agent list coach, I want to die

the death impulse rules us all. you're on the list. Want to be anything specific?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So some things happen very rapidly. We finish another toxin run, then Psyke attacks the cops. I assume this means with vehicles and not guys. Then Psyke is raided by the government in retaliation.

Infiltration is looking ok. Mostly stabilizing. Nobody new on, nobody fell off. The cult is slowly increasing, though. According to the chart the infection is getting worse. According to the org entries the infection is getting better?

Research:
The biogun is at 45%
Advanced Workshop is at 22%
Pube gun is 13%

Engineerign bay 2 is done. We don't have enough money to hire five guys, so I hire the three highest skilled. We have more guys than goons but who cares they're just mook scientists I guess.

What do we want Engineering to focus on?
  1. Dimension Probe: a god-dammned spaceship need the big workshop first
  2. Biotransport module: lets us recover alien guts
  3. Toxigun: Most profitable
  4. Toxin Type A: weak toxin ammo
  5. Toxin Type B: the toxin ammo we actually use. We have an "ok" stock
  6. Disruptor Gun: Small purple blaster
  7. Personal Shield: Two shields cost about as much, and take as long to build as one dimension probe
    What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult    (22%, hostile)
    b) Evonet      (15%)
    c) Sensovision (11%)
  3. Get / Buy / Build something (write it in)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Type B ammo
Raid the cult

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Investigate Evonet.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
If we been having money problems then research the Toxigun so to make them for sale. Otherwise Type B ammo is fine.

What does the biotransport module help with besides gut recovery?

Investigate Cult as the alien inflitration is the highest.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
biotransports do nothing except let you recover alien bodies. we could sell them, but it ctually costs less to buy them back from the market than it does to produce new ones, we were selling them for a while. I just put them in the list for completeness I guess?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Investigate all the cult buildings, and if it still says there aren't any aliens then raid all the ones we didn't hit last time. That way we purge any brainsucked cultitsts and replenish our funds from loot sales.

Keep going with the toxigun ammo, we can always use more. Even against shielded humans, they do the same damage as a machine gun so we can loot the intact shields. That's a good way to train accuracy too, because it depends on how many hits you make instead of how much damage you do. So a full-auto barrage at point blank range with a low-damage weapon like the machine gun is the best way to train during combat, even though it doesn't involve much actual aiming.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Build more Toxigun ammo and raid the cult.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016

the death impulse rules us all. you're on the list. Want to be anything specific?

If we have any spare swords lying around, that could be fun, if not I'm happy with whatever.

Human is cool, but if you think we need more robots or mutants I'm not averse to either.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Does a raid on an infiltrated organization impact the infiltration percentage if X-Com happens to raid a location where aliens are present?

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Lets make more toxin B but also that disruptor gun might be good for shields so get someone working on that as well.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*new engineering workshop is just the grill from an old diner*
*frying up endless order of toxin b*
*a biologist skates in and clips another order to the hutch*
*10 more toxin b orders*
*sighs, lowers head, smokes while frying up more sludge*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Cubelodyte posted:

Does a raid on an infiltrated organization impact the infiltration percentage if X-Com happens to raid a location where aliens are present?

I think it goes like this:

Raid:
If no aliens, starts a raid you have to kill security. You get any loot that was laying around
If aliens, as above, but you need to kill both aliens and security
Any damage to the building will cause financial damage like usual
No civilians

Investigation:
If no aliens, no mission. The org will be pissed you bothered them for no reason, but nothing else happens
If aliens, starts an investigation but you also need to kill security. You get whatever the aliens had and whatever security had, but don't get to steal whatever was laying around.
Any damage to the building will cause financial damage like usual
Possible civilians????

I don't know exactly how either one impacts infiltration. I think infiltration is just like an abstract count of alien entities in their buildings, but i'm not sure. I don't really know what to do with the brainsucked humans. I don't know if killing security who happen to be brainsucked helps or if it's even possible. If we kill obvious aliens I think it will help. Maybe infiltration doesn't really count brainsucked guys and we forgot to check the closet?

I don't know why they would let you in to look for aliens and let you go on your way if you don't find them, but if you do find them and pull a gun to shoot security gets all "hey buddy not here don't even try me"

poisonpill posted:

*new engineering workshop is just the grill from an old diner*
*frying up endless order of toxin b*
*a biologist skates in and clips another order to the hutch*
*10 more toxin b orders*
*sighs, lowers head, smokes while frying up more sludge*

lol

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I don't know why they would let you in to look for aliens and let you go on your way if you don't find them, but if you do find them and pull a gun to shoot security gets all "hey buddy not here don't even try me"

"Thats my brother Steve. He's a furry, so we hide him in the closet when company comes over. Please don't shoot him."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also that last thing I wrote was about what happens when you deal with hostile orgs

I guess a long winded way to say "I dunno how raids effect infiltration, other than there's a chance you shoot an alien"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
while I wait for my coffee to brew, some anectdotse:

for some reason earlier when I was looking for laboratory glass I got stuff saying I may be interested in buying some books such as the xcom apocalypse strategy guide, the first xcom guide, and several UFOS ARE TRUE, SECRETS REVEALED style books. I guess I need to bone up on digital hygiene

Anyway I went through our bots and I think Gridlocked is the most hosed up bot we've had. Few missions, most time all busted up. I wanted to bring more bots but really the ones who need more mission experience are all still completely hosed

Single & lovin' it is still hurt. Grem is still turbofucked, Alan Smithee is still jacked up. We're at 5/5 but we should have more guys coming out very soon. PenguinSalsa & the usual suspects are good to go.

All the organics are ready to rock, except for SavageGentleman.

This could be a hardcore mission, I think we'll probably go with 12 but I dunno we might wanna go with 18.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Investigation -- Temple of the Apocalypse:
Owner: Cult of Sirius. Function: Temple of Sirius
S1: Fart Puzzle, Powerful Two-Hander, reality_groove, PenguinSalsa
S2: Cobra Lionfist, HBar, the littlest prince, Akratic Method
S3: xsuperkidx, haven't heard a peep, guns for tits, Markoff Chaney

We shoot the curtains as is traditional, then stroll around some. Before we can find the aliens things start to heat up:
https://i.imgur.com/Mk3s5h0.gifv

Fart takes out one of their goons, but they had a primed smoke. It puts out most of the fires 2-Hander started, so he makes some more:
https://i.imgur.com/l4eBh7c.gifv
There's still one guy left, but he's on fire and I wanna leave some other guys ready to shoot if more guys come out or if aliens show.

Meanwhile Prince mind controls the cultist who stayed in view. All she had was a plasma pistol and a pox mine, I just dump them try to run a distraction. Not enough TUs, whatever
https://i.imgur.com/LbJd37z.gifv

poo poo hits the fan, but we come out mostly clean
https://i.imgur.com/CXWev9b.gifv
Chaney & Superkid are sick of fuckin around with these alien lovin' scumbags
https://i.imgur.com/hmEjv9m.gifv

Cobra cuts a path open for HBar. This actually was dumb because the doors were easily big enough he could shoot from above.
https://i.imgur.com/yG6Y3lC.gifv
Motherfuck, those missiles cost like $100, this was dumb as gently caress, unless something else out there got wrecked. Better check.
https://i.imgur.com/Und3KQT.gifv

alright gently caress these guys. Not sure how to eliminate him before he can react and gently caress us up.
Cig break.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

HOLY poo poo GUYS. GUYS. This guy with the pox mine knows where we can buy cultist curtains to make a shooting range!

Also he has a pretty sweet recipe for brainsucker soup.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pox, prox[imity] same dif

Looks like we've recovered some missiles that could have been bad. Not perfectly pleased with this sequence of events but we'll see how it turns out.
https://i.imgur.com/4bF3V7z.gifv

Prick bastard just waltzes away from the gas, but at least the mindwaves helped
https://i.imgur.com/egYY09c.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/1EuRZoE.gifv
Should have had Cobra take out that last guy, but I expected more enemies than this for some reason. Lotta fireworks, but the shields kept anyone from getting hurt.

Fuckin nutrivend has cars driving all over the place. If I have our own cars go weapons free or whatever drat near half the city will be leveled.

So, what'd we get for loot?
Some guns, some ammo that we def needed, especially plasma. Got the rockets and a few grenades. No psyclones or anything, this was not a raid. Enough that we can sell them off for like one decent buy, or some more extended engineering. We basically have enough guns and grenades to double the amount of agents, but ofc not enough armor or shields to cover them. We do have 8 extra shields right now.

This isn't gonna totally resolve all our infiltration woes, but I do like our position right now.
    What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult    (22%, hostile)
    b) Evonet      (15%)
    c) Sensovision (11%)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Raiding is fun but 4. FF to the next event

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Start building a second Large Physics Lab so we can bulldoze the small lab in Enfield and put a security station in its place.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckin madness dude let's take a look at the feasibility:

right we got $300 rn. We could plug in a big lab in the south of Lauroon, and still have space for the big workshop, but that would mean the workshop is exposed to the outside. Alternately we could just buy a new base and slam the fucker in there

A big physics lab costs $25,000 to build. I guess the workshop would take roughly the same but we won't know till it gets researched. We need that just to really pump out stuff we can sell, even if we ignore the fact that we can use it to build fuckin spaceships. But at the same time, it has to be staffed. That means shelling out $8000 for ten dudes.

We could easily sell some of these guns and pay for it. In fact, if we wanted to right now we could sell off our horde and get +$81,387. And that's saving a couple guns just in case.

That's -33,000 for the lab + physicists, ~-30,000 for the cheapest new base, and ~20,000 left over for various living quarters and more agents to guard the place.

Alternately if we want we can bulldoze the training gym in Enfield and slot a big lab next to the big biolab, and it would either cost 5 extra days of construction time, or it would mean 5 days with no physical training. I would switch everyone to Psi training at that time, just to get some kind of benefit.

So we have enough assets to buy a new base and do this, or we have enough to completely jam pack our existing bases totally full with no room for extra growth (potentially even leaving engineers exposed in our second base)

We have one day I think till payday so money is not a big deal on this, and we will probably have enough to build the big workshop immediately.

The only drawback to this is the market will be flooded with guns (not a real big deal but some guys may get disruptors they didn't have before), or there may not be enough scientists immediately available for hire so there could be a few days with <100% efficiency. We're currently less than 100% rn because I've only been hiring the high quality nerds.

e: also dumping everything like this will probably tank the market on some guns, but that could be good or bad

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's important to replace the small physics lab with a security station at some point. So if you prefer we could just build another small physics lab somewhere less dangerous.

We also need to make sure there's enough room to build the large Engineering Lab once that gets researched.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That's a good point, and we may also want to replace the living quarters as well, then Enfield will be really secure. Main threats would be if someone slunk down the access lift and got into the biolab or medbay, but really for almost all base missions they've just kind of milled around and we were able to catch them before they got far into the base itself. Lauroon has space for one big building that's isolated from the outside, and one that's next to the exit. So it's in a good position, depending on how we want to develop it. It's also never been attacked so that's something else to consider.

A regular lab costs slightly less than half a big lab, so IMO literally the only drawback is how much space the big buildings take up (4x the small version). IMO there's honestly no real reason to keep small buildings once you have access to the big ones, except for space, or laziness considerations. Maybe bankruptcy if you're about to get game over. You still need the big versions to get game changing techs.

IIRC you can have some insane number of facilities before the game tells you to gently caress off, I think like 5 big labs of one kind in the same base? something like that. That's 50 loving nerds of one kind, that's absolutely insane. It's well within our means to focus on getting a shitload of bigass labs even if we decide to buy a whole extra base. The only real drawback is the available scientists who are able to be hired, because it fluctuates day to day, and the possibility of running into a biology situation where we've burned through all research and can't yet leverage ourselves to the next tier.

If we are going to do this, and we totally can, i'd recommend buying a third base just to keep everyone spaced out a little. I think I mentioned before I don't like packing in a shitload of guys into one base just in case it blows up or w/e. Even then if the thread votes to just cram everyone into every possible available slot we'll do that and it's nbd really.

As it is now, Enfield has exactly enough space left in it to replace the small lab with security, build a big lab, and build living quarters for the nerds. So it would be hard to totally secure the garage, but probably not that important.

Lauroon has exactly enough space to get two big labs and two living quarters to staff them. This would leave two open spaces near the lift that we could fit in security stations or something else small. We also have 5 living space left over for more agents to live there, because rn we got 30 space, 10 agents, 10 physicists, 5 engineers.

That would leave our two bases jam packed with some imperfect security, but also plenty of agents to make up the difference. It would also make a loss pretty painful, but :shrug:

E: it's also possible that those two bases could just run us through the entire game at that point

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 20, 2018

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
If we're building my vote is for a 3rd base.

If not, Nutrivend is driving around like they own the place and probably need to have things stolen from them and things exploded.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's build a third base on pay day! We need to scale up if we're going to defeat the aliens.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Third base sounds like a good idea even if it takes a while to build it up. Isn't space needed for a large lab as well?

Alsob:

quote:

It puts out most of the fires 2-Hander started, so he makes some more:

Some robots just like to watch the world burn I guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah let's just ⏭ and we'll decide what to do when we're more liquid.

Right so we don't have enough money to continue toxin production without selling stuff, so I sell some toxiguns and rebuild the same amount of them

fuckin gross. We research the ammo, nothing else for biology to do.

Pube Gun is now at 18%, Advanced Workshop is 47%.

Lets check infiltration:

All downwards trends. Good.

https://i.imgur.com/4cedlAY.gifv
poo poo. We lost another ship, and weren't able to take anything out. For some reason the clips are fuzzy as gently caress, dunno why.

What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult    (20%, hostile)
    b) Evonet      (12%)
    c) Sensovision (9%)
    d) Diablo      (0%, allied, aliens dropped at George Orwell Block)
    e) Mutants     (0%, aliens dropped at Lovecraft Block)
    f) Synthmesh   (0%, I think aliens dropped at Construction One)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 21, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

d, e, then f. Let's be proactive about preventing alien infestations.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

E, investigate where we know aliens dropped and then after that see if you can pinpoint other aliens to kill

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Gonna have to disagree and say 2b, 2c, 1a.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

5 missions in, and I still have no idea what combat is or what to do apparently.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I started the mission a while ago, for some reason it's taking really long to render out the clips or w/e

guns for tits posted:

5 missions in, and I still have no idea what combat is or what to do apparently.

Go through the buildings, find aliens or enemies, and kill or capture them. Try to avoid damage unless you hate the building owner. In this mission you use mindwaves to try to terrify some aliens but it doesn't really work all that well. Guns are helpful.

Investigation -- George Orwell Block:
Owner: Diablo. Function: Slums.
S1: Fart Puzzle, xsuperkidx, havent heard a peep, the littlest prince
S2: Cobra Lionfist, Powerful Two-Hander, HBar, Markoff Chaney
S3: reality_groove, guns for tits, PenguinSalsa, Akratic Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQMMQXlEd3E

gently caress this is gonna be one of those giant as gently caress maps. Should have brought another squad of guys.

Unfortunately there are civilians. We start sweeping the first building. The flying guys hit all the rooms on their way to the roof. S1 heads to the main lift, S2 heads for the side door. S3 will check the front of the building.

Roof is clear so the flight suits will start checking rooms by peeking windows. Salsa's sensor only picks up civilans. Or, running things where the civilians are.

Peep finds a pack of blues. Unfortunately there's no way to throw grenades through windows for some reason.
https://i.imgur.com/KQIAZNW.gifv
S1 & S2 are close, but not enough to do anything except cover the door to their apartment.
https://i.imgur.com/tjGKs2U.gifv
Lol @ Akratic's "Bwaah!?" but luckily Penguin is able to gunsling the fucker with lightning reflexes. Akratic takes out the second one.

HBar is able to slip behind the blues, but the mindwave fails.
https://i.imgur.com/5FFtlcN.gifv
Uh... a suboptimal result. Those aim disruption things are kinda fuckin us up. Superkid will clean this poo poo out:
https://i.imgur.com/v9okSdm.gifv

oh gently caress, that's brainsucker pods. If I can't scoop them they'll hatch and Superkid is dead.

https://i.imgur.com/sLR8xqN.gifv
Fart is able to clear a path and stand guard, while 2Hander & Chaney recover any brainsuckers. That could have been bad, but we scored a shitload of loot and probably killed half the aliens for basically no effort. I expect there to be worms and yellows out here still. Poppers even.

https://i.imgur.com/eo803jY.gifv
Much of the first building is checked, we should be able to finish the sweep pretty quick.
Penguin is able to pick up something close by, and it's moving fast, but we can't get visual contact. Dunno. Don't like it. May be residuals from the brainsuckers.
https://i.imgur.com/L32Vtuv.gifv
Fortune favors the bold (and reality groove) I hope:
https://i.imgur.com/LHb2QnS.gifv

I have Akratic move towards the spitter, we make contact with another worm.

I don't like this because there are probably more yellows floating around somewhere. A popper could easily trigger the 20 tons of alien grenades and overwhelm our shields. Akratic tries to land some lead and is partly successful:
https://i.imgur.com/oUy9igV.gifv
At the same time Salsa checks the scanner again, there is definitely slow movement in the second building. I have Groove drop smoke. We'll need him for the worms, he's got a stun gun that will help keep it from splitting.
https://i.imgur.com/cghO5j3.gifv

I miss the cap, but peep catches a powerful disruptor straight in the gut. The shield holds for now.
https://i.imgur.com/xglhd2r.gifv
I try to run to the smoke, but there's not enough time. There's no way to shuffle anything around without accidentally setting off the stun grenade or dropping a gun. We do what we gotta, it's too dangerous to leave guys totally exposed.
https://i.imgur.com/nTKR8SW.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/KrchOZx.gifv

I gently caress up the cap, but Groove is ok and works together with Hbar to stun the worm. That leaves at least two yellows and another worm.
https://i.imgur.com/c9pGszy.gifv
Trying to get an angle on yellows, Peep runs into one of those fucks.
https://i.imgur.com/V5fBOh1.gifv
Akratic takes out two yellows.
https://i.imgur.com/ZmK1OuD.gifv
Markoff finds who was shooting at him.

Unfortunately there's a bunch of fat bastards in the way.
Reality catches up with the other worm. It's not a clean catch.
https://i.imgur.com/nd2rLkS.gifv
Keep your fingers crossed that we only have a snake and a spitter left.
Ok so holy poo poo it took forever to get to the roof and take the spitter out. Swarming with civvies. That ends up being lucky as gently caress, because the whole goddamn thing could have gotten caved in.
https://i.imgur.com/W2imFkh.gifv
Turns out the other worm bled to death in the meantime, the snakes came out and tried to kill Tits. Sheild saved another life. We lost 3 shields but made them back in loot. I'll update more later.

What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult   (20%, hostile)
    b) Evonet     (12%)
    c) Sensovision (9%)
    d) Mutants     (0%, aliens dropped at Lovecraft Block)
    e) Synthmesh   (0%, I think aliens dropped at Construction One)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 22, 2018

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
2d. Also props on an excellent mission. And also props to reality_groove for his :commissar::commissar: on the pair of yellows with cloaks.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Seconding 2d.

Also LOL at the veiny dick n’ balls goo missile launcher. I forgot about that one.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
For some reason biology has moved extremely quickly to research the alien testicles...

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Cubelodyte posted:

Also LOL at the veiny dick n’ balls goo missile launcher.

:catbert: Bio-bros we need to have some words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

It's not that engineering CAN'T replicate these. We won't. Even we have limits.

• Locked thread