Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Iron Monger was the first one but did they ever actually say his name?

Do they say Killmonger in Black Panther?

yes its embarrassing every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do they say Killmonger in Black Panther?

Yes, but it's a nickname dumb Americans gave him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think he says it himself in a self deprecating way when talking to Tony. Or Tony says it to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8gCeXmCDg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stane says "We're iron mongers. We make weapons" at one point

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

An ironmonger is a hardware store in the UK, that's about as menacing as calling yourself The Greengrocer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: oops there was a new page

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The fearsome Spider-man villain The Tesco Express

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dr Aldi. He's just as villainous as Dr Doom, but much cheaper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saint Freak posted:

The fearsome Spider-man villain The Tesco Express

Lidl, brother of Loki.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sunswipe posted:

Dr Aldi. He's just as villainous as Dr Doom, but much cheaper.

This was a Kim Possible villain, Frugal Lucre, the cheapest supervillain in the world.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Marvel also has a Hatemonger. They love their mongers, for sure.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Blast Fantasto posted:

They also had (still have, maybe?) Warmonger and Peacemonger.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aquaman vs The Fishmonger

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bitterandtwisted posted:

Aquaman vs The Fishmonger

Don't forget the Brazzers logo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Who may have been a clone of Hitler, iirc.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Inescapable Duck posted:

Who may have been a clone of Hitler, iirc.

Godwinmonger

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aphrodite posted:

Killmonger isn’t his name.

Neither is Eric.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There is a bit of a subtle moment in Black Panther, Killmonger is wearing the suit that T'Challa actively turned down in the beginning of the movie.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Feb 21, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

There is a bit of a subtle moment in Black Panther,

That doesn't sound super major, but maybe spoiler tags for a movie that's been out for less than a week?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

rydiafan posted:

That doesn't sound super major, but maybe spoiler tags for a movie that's been out for less than a week?
Done.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In "The Force Awakens", the first two times they show the hanger on Starkiller Base, there is a subtle sound effect of an MSE-6 mouse droid. I thought that was a nice throwback to the original Death Star.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Blast Fantasto posted:

And who can forget the imfamous British villain, Costermonger?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Probably not as subtle as many moments in this thread, but I like a well set up joke. In Aardman's new film Early Man a couple characters make an escape from an arena by rappelling out of a window using Toilet Paper as the rope. Just as they safely make it down, you see an advertisement in the background for "BUMSOFT Extra Strong Toilet Paper Roll The world's No. 2 Choice!" for a second before the characters obscure it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rough Lobster posted:

And who can forget the imfamous British villain, Costermonger?
Or the Laotian warlord H Monger.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Subtle from Thor: Ragnarok.

The axe that Hela gives to Skurge when she anoints him her executioner seems to be made of a dark red-black crystal. When Heimdall opens the doors to the refuge of the Asgardians fleeing her rule, the doors look like they're inlaid with the same crystal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

Subtle from Thor: Ragnarok.

The axe that Hela gives to Skurge when she anoints him her executioner seems to be made of a dark red-black crystal. When Heimdall opens the doors to the refuge of the Asgardians fleeing her rule, the doors look like they're inlaid with the same crystal.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but what is it you think that means other than someone reusing a cool texture?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but what is it you think that means other than someone reusing a cool texture?

Could be a sign that she assisted in creating the city in ways other than conquering foreign lands. Been a while since I saw it in theaters, so maybe Memento it thinking of other things.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when storytelling is done during the credits in a way that isn't necessary to understand the plot, but informs the characters and their continuing development after the movie has concluded, like in the credits of the original Kung Fu Panda - there are a few 2d stills of the characters interacting, and one of them is Tigress and Shifu eating together, Tigress finally trying some of Po's soup and getting a noodle stuck to her nose calling back to Po's Shifu impression - although this time Shifu is laughing his rear end off :3:. It's a really cute moment.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Bloop posted:

It's cool world-building. It shows that Hela is not just an invader to Asgarde but that she's actually of Asgarde.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its interesting how much the ending scene in rogue one with darth vader shifts my perspective on the duel in empire strikes back. like vader could easily wreck luke's poo poo but it's more like he's toying with him, trying to tire him so he can pull him over to the dark side

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, he's fighting that entire fight one handed, and whipping Luke's rear end.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kanine posted:

its interesting how much the ending scene in rogue one with darth vader shifts my perspective on the duel in empire strikes back. like vader could easily wreck luke's poo poo but it's more like he's toying with him, trying to tire him so he can pull him over to the dark side

That was always there. Luke's body language of fighting with 2 hands and being aggressive, while Vader fights 1 handed and just deflects every attack, not even bothering to take the offensive until later in the fight.

Its a good subtle movie moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it’s half and half. We also know mobility with the suit and durability with the props were low so that was a big part of it too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What exactly is Immortan Joe's facemask? I mean it's a respirator I guess, but he can open the mouth and when it's pulled off it takes a big chunk of his face with it - which isn't how facemasks work. If he wore it all the time I could maybe understand that, but they show him putting it on in the morning.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, it’s half and half. We also know mobility with the suit and durability with the props were low so that was a big part of it too.

Also, pretty sure you'd find in Lucas shooting notes something like, "Vader is old. Hasn't moved fast in years. Mostly just coasting on his rep. Luke totally owning him. Maybe make Luke's middle name George." Because Star Wars loves to contradict itself between episodes.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Feb 23, 2018

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Krispy Wafer posted:

What exactly is Immortan Joe's facemask?

Rad looking. It's pure Rule Of Cool.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Krispy Wafer posted:

What exactly is Immortan Joe's facemask? I mean it's a respirator I guess, but he can open the mouth and when it's pulled off it takes a big chunk of his face with it - which isn't how facemasks work. If he wore it all the time I could maybe understand that, but they show him putting it on in the morning.

The mask was pulled off at speed, I just assume that, much like getting a watch or a ring you can normally remove caught in a rotary machine, this caused him to have a real bad time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Accordion Man posted:

There is a bit of a subtle moment in Black Panther, Killmonger is wearing the suit that T'Challa actively turned down in the beginning of the movie.

What I liked is that they tell T'Challa to wear that one if he wants to be 'seen'. It's a small bit of dialogue but it highlights their differences nicely.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SiKboy posted:

The mask was pulled off at speed, I just assume that, much like getting a watch or a ring you can normally remove caught in a rotary machine, this caused him to have a real bad time.

I figured his face is hosed up, maybe untreated mouth/nose cancer (google image search that phrase for grossness), and the mask was to protect & alleviate that situation. Then it gets pulled off wrong & degloved his face :gonk:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Krankenstyle posted:

I figured his face is hosed up, maybe untreated mouth/nose cancer (google image search that phrase for grossness), and the mask was to protect & alleviate that situation. Then it gets pulled off wrong & degloved his face :gonk:

Yeah, I wasnt sure if "degloved" was the right term if its not your hand, and no way in hell am I googling to find out. DeSki-masked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It appears that, while named for it happening to hands, it covers any sort of injury where skin is torn off. I didn't know that, but good to know!

quote:

Typically, degloving injuries affect the extremities and limbs. Any injury which would induce degloving of the head or torso is likely to be lethal. However, controlled facial degloving is often featured in plastic surgery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degloving