Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hearing an old economics professor say thank you to 'Chapo Trap House' for their good interview before his very good lecture on capitalism's grift of 'gently caress the government up, tell people it's proof the government sucks' is basically the perfect summary of the current left wing revolution going on.

Wolff is cool as hell, I've heard him before but somehow never knew he had a proper show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah that was a really good episode

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Yeah that was a really good episode

Agreed, I can picture that dude being one heck of a lecture professor. Really concise ways of putting big, complex concepts into manageable thoughts.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah that was a super good episode. The part where he talked about people changing their desires in order to "fit in" rather than doing what they want to do described me pretty much exactly.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I like how they just exclude Felix when it's time to have a grown up conversation. Matt Amber Will & a grown up guest is best Chapo combination

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A real grownup conversation would be finally discussing the TRUTH about Syria!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

terrorist ambulance posted:

I like how they just exclude Felix when it's time to have a grown up conversation. Matt Amber Will & a grown up guest is best Chapo combination

It's not like they specifically are trying to avoid having Felix be exposed to the outside world; They decided 4 + Interviewee was too chaotic when it came to Dick Wolff, whereas Felix was part of the ORIGINAL Glenn Greenwald interview that didn't get recorded/got screwed up or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Felix can be perfectly serious when he has to be, but 4 people talking to one interviewee about an extremely complex and academic topic is kinda a hassle no matter who it is.

Alternate answer: he left in a huff when Wolff refused to acknowledge that Turkey was due for an economic surge and soon will become the greatest power in both the middle east and the EU.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Felix randomly spouting out some in-depth perspective on Saudi politics or Syrian rebel factions or whatever remains some of the most hilarious unexpected moments on the show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It gets kinda tiring over time though, Felix is really good when he hits but he's sometimes just mumbling some Felix-esque gibberish that falls into the background. He seems like he'd be the easiest to imitate. Still higher peak funny than like, Matt or Amber, but more lowlights too. It's cool though, gotta take shots to make shots.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It gets kinda tiring over time though, Felix is really good when he hits but he's sometimes just mumbling some Felix-esque gibberish that falls into the background. He seems like he'd be the easiest to imitate. Still higher peak funny than like, Matt or Amber, but more lowlights too. It's cool though, gotta take shots to make shots.

honestly, his slightly autistic slowbuilding jokes that amuse only him are sometimes funny just because of how amusing he finds them

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah Felix definitely has the highest peaks as far as laughs for me (I loved the rockabilly space colony) but he’s not as consistent as the others. Matt can get cringey too with his old man schtick and saying thot/snack but at least he doesn’t draw things out.

Now Virgil’s more of a lunch pail, 9 to 5 type cohost, he doesn’t hog the spotlight like some of the other hip hop style hosts. He’s often the quickest with a joke and does a lot to keep the momentum going.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Agreed, Virgil treats it like a fuckin' job and he's good at it.

I will never get tired of Felix's Metal Gear references though. His shpiel about being supportive of everyone else's interests had me dying, especially when Amber agreed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Felix randomly spouting out some in-depth perspective on Saudi politics or Syrian rebel factions or whatever remains some of the most hilarious unexpected moments on the show.

Which isn't much of a surprise if you followed his work before Chapo. Him being the only guy that at least bothers to talk about the military takeover of Rio de Janeiro or Chechen/Baluchistan politics kind of gives the podcast a breath of fresh air.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

New ep was good as hell but i got thrown of for like a solid minute because i'm pretty sure amber pronounced "segue" as "seg", they have to be loving with us on purpose now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tim Burns Effect posted:

New ep was good as hell but i got thrown of for like a solid minute because i'm pretty sure amber pronounced "segue" as "seg", they have to be loving with us on purpose now

I think she was doing it as a hip abbreviated form of the word. Can't imagine she wouldn't know the pronunciation.

Also, I risk a misspelling every time I type out "pronounce" or "pronunciation". :argh:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Will loving up pronunciation like 3 times in 10 minutes on the first episode Matt was back a few weeks ago was loving hilarious.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

people on podcasts have been calling them "segs" for short for years get with it granddad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I often tune out for a bit during “serious” episodes but this one actually made me miss academia (though I didn’t have any professors as engaging as Wolff).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Amber is just a big fan of Idle Thumbs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Famethrowa posted:

honestly, his slightly autistic slowbuilding jokes that amuse only him are sometimes funny just because of how amusing he finds them

as a fellow middle east politics follower and MGS fan I deeply appreciate him slowly building up elaborate bits about fringe Yemeni rebel factions or how this all ties into MGS purely for his own amusement. Felix is the embodiment of 'you gotta do you'.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

sexpig by night posted:

yea Felix can be perfectly serious when he has to be, but 4 people talking to one interviewee about an extremely complex and academic topic is kinda a hassle no matter who it is.

Alternate answer: he left in a huff when Wolff refused to acknowledge that Turkey was due for an economic surge and soon will become the greatest power in both the middle east and the EU.

Felix refused to be on the podcast with someone who would not denounce the traitor dog Gülen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Amber a Lee Philopator, Queen of Seg and Bee.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/966081297218228230

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Chiming in to say this Wolff interview is the best interview I’ve heard them do

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wolff is an excellent lecturer. This struck me more of his lecture than an interview, but I’ve been listening to him on kpfa for a while now.

I’m glad he came off well. Hopefully more young people can be exposed to a more explicitly Marxist view and see it with fresh eyes now that were far enough away from the Soviet Union for it to be tainted by Cold War propaganda.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I find it hilarious how the boss baby has ended up being one of the best films to use for neoliberal analysis

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Wolff's explanation of government debt is near comically untrue. Still, now I kind of want to watch Boss Baby.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

Wolff's explanation of government debt is near comically untrue. Still, now I kind of want to watch Boss Baby.

It felt like he wanted to avoid MMT stuff, either out of scepticism or in an attempt to By Your Logic people who think the government budget should be like a family budget

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it definitely felt to me like he was saying "there are many reasons, but here's why even the internal logic of this very dumb position doesn't hold up"

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Wolff has commented on MMT before actually in a discussion with Bernie's econ advisor. He's aware of the theory, and he think there's merit though details may need to be worked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogSw7U9y0w

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Felix best watch himself, or he’ll wind up on the toilet more than Virgil.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Twitter bot purge is hilarious rn guys

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

incoherent posted:

Twitter bot purge is hilarious rn guys

I will never tire of MUH FREEZE PEACH chuds melting down because the bots that made them feel popular got erased :qq:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

As a Panera enjoyer I feel attacked.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Project G.O.R.K.A. continues unfettered!

https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/966704102037164032

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a little surprised he hasn't pulled his stupid handcannon on a journalist yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey late to the party but that Ballin Out episode Felix was on is genuinely great, this podcast rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Anybody here looking to go to the San Francisco night show? I'm coming in from Sacramento but I bought for the night show before they announced the day show.

I bought day show ones and now I have tix to both shows. I thought I'd give goons a shot at the tickets to the night show since it's sold out. I have 2, just looking for face value + fees ($89 for the pair). VenMo is ultimately preferred since PayPal is garbage though we can work something out. First come first served no bidding wars or anything, just trying to not get stuck with tickets!

If this is a no go mods just let me know and I'll take it down.