Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Suddenly it makes a ton more sense about why NV has 100% locked down the BIOSes on Pascal eh? It's almost like they knew the reflashing scams and Pascal cryptomining are going to happen.

Bonus points for seeing the tears of dumb OC crowd since they won't be able to kill cards to RMA only to kill them again to feed their xtremez overvoltage street creds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I always thought my htpc's slowness was caused by amd single core sempron. So I finally switched it to my old i7 920, upgraded to windows 10 and still I can't play 1080p60 videos. Random google results tell that the HD6970 claims to support 1080p60 videos but actually doesn't. When apps try to decode videos with GPU it trips over itself and drops 2/3 of the frames.

And of course AMD never fixed that in drivers with something like "nope, try sw decoding instead, can't do this on hw!"...

Can't wait for Ampere so I can toss the radeon and replace it with my old GTX 970.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Suddenly it makes a ton more sense about why NV has 100% locked down the BIOSes on Pascal eh? It's almost like they knew the reflashing scams and Pascal cryptomining are going to happen.

Bonus points for seeing the tears of dumb OC crowd since they won't be able to kill cards to RMA only to kill them again to feed their xtremez overvoltage street creds

You have to be extremely dumb to manage to burn out a card with just a bios flash.

People usually brick them because they did dumb poo poo and then they don't have a spare to boot from to reflash a working bios.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
So I'm interested in the threads opinion on the new VRR supported TVs and what this means for gaming on the big screen? Reason being, my company is going to pay for a powerful (ie gaming) laptop at some point this year and I'm also looking to purchase a big screen TV for my home, it'd be really nice if I could just hook it up to the laptop via HDMI and have a one-stop gaming solution with a super smooth framerate. Given AMDs....less than stellar performance recently its likely I'd be getting something with an NVIDIA card, I've seen a few people speculating that NVIDIA will start supporting VRR to go along with the new HDMI spec and that Gsync is likely dead in the water, how likely do we think this is to become a reality? Is it even possible to enable this via a driver change/software support or does this have to be physically built into the card?

I've been looking with some interest at the new Gsync TVs they announced recently, however they're likely to be much more expensive than a regular 4k screen and some of the first impressions I've seen have commented that the blacklight bloom is pretty atrocious which is a deal breaker for me. I really don't see the logic in buying a very expensive TV that only looks good for gaming, but butter smooth frames would be very nice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

RGX posted:

Given AMDs....less than stellar performance recently its likely I'd be getting something with an NVIDIA card, I've seen a few people speculating that NVIDIA will start supporting VRR to go along with the new HDMI spec and that Gsync is likely dead in the water, how likely do we think this is to become a reality?

If you were NVidia, and had a fully-formed and very profitable variable refresh solution you were pushing into TVs, would you want to support a cheaper alternative from which you got no royalties or profit? Oh, btw, your only competitor is incompetent and completely incapable of releasing a product that can reasonably match yours, leaving you in an uncontestedly dominant market position.

No?

That's basically the pitch you'd have to sell NVidia on in order to have them support VRR in any way. So, no, I wouldn't expect that the near-term future will look good for you in that sense. If you want a TV with variable refresh, you're likely to have to shell out extra to get one of the GSync ones. NVidia isn't stupid--if the new HDMI spec was going to in some way force them to support VRR, and VRR was functional enough to effectively replace GSync, do you think they'd be spending the R&D dollars on "BFGD" products?

Now, when consoles seriously get on board the VRR train (it'll be a few years), maybe we'll see some willingness for NVidia to match support. But that's certainly not going to be this year.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RGX posted:

So I'm interested in the threads opinion on the new VRR supported TVs and what this means for gaming on the big screen? Reason being, my company is going to pay for a powerful (ie gaming) laptop at some point this year and I'm also looking to purchase a big screen TV for my home, it'd be really nice if I could just hook it up to the laptop via HDMI and have a one-stop gaming solution with a super smooth framerate. Given AMDs....less than stellar performance recently its likely I'd be getting something with an NVIDIA card, I've seen a few people speculating that NVIDIA will start supporting VRR to go along with the new HDMI spec and that Gsync is likely dead in the water, how likely do we think this is to become a reality? Is it even possible to enable this via a driver change/software support or does this have to be physically built into the card?

I've been looking with some interest at the new Gsync TVs they announced recently, however they're likely to be much more expensive than a regular 4k screen and some of the first impressions I've seen have commented that the blacklight bloom is pretty atrocious which is a deal breaker for me. I really don't see the logic in buying a very expensive TV that only looks good for gaming, but butter smooth frames would be very nice.

For long gory details you can ask the HDTV thread but the short version is that on big screens VRR will require HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 is not gonna happen in 2018, and in 2019 it may well be a first generation buggy mess.

Sorry.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Rexxed posted:

It's some lower end usually old card flashed with a bios that says it's a higher end newer card but the specs don't match. It's a really common scam and I'm guessing ebay can't keep up. The specs mean it's probably a GTX 550 Ti or something:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_series

This guy bought a "GTX 960" that was a flashed GTX 450:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ved84d_6occ

Just as an FYI, eBay refunds you 100% of the time if you file a detailed report showcasing these cards are fakes and the seller is a scammer, and the fact they're always coming from China means you get to keep what's basically a nice basic MadVR/HTPC card, as whoever is currently on the account will beg you to accept a partial (like loving 40%) refund before you make the inevitable eBay escalation

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

For long gory details you can ask the HDTV thread but the short version is that on big screens VRR will require HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 is not gonna happen in 2018, and in 2019 it may well be a first generation buggy mess.

Sorry.

also, there's gsync tvs now because of course there are

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

also, there's gsync tvs now because of course there are

To be fair, GSync TVs are basically ready to be released now, while VRR and the surrounding ecosystem is not. Also, the GSync TVs are specifically designed with very low input delay, while there is no guarantee that VRR-supporting TVs will have such advantages.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Just as an FYI, eBay refunds you 100% of the time if you file a detailed report showcasing these cards are fakes and the seller is a scammer, and the fact they're always coming from China means you get to keep what's basically a nice basic MadVR/HTPC card, as whoever is currently on the account will beg you to accept a partial (like loving 40%) refund before you make the inevitable eBay escalation

Im still fighting to get my money back from a 1080ti that I never got. Its been a month and they are loving around. I am not that happy. Don't gently caress around with ebay scam gfx cards.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

redeyes posted:

Im still fighting to get my money back from a 1080ti that I never got. Its been a month and they are loving around. I am not that happy. Don't gently caress around with ebay scam gfx cards.

Yes unfortunately there are a few built in timers. A month is guaranteed, at least, and thats assuming they dont try to argue. This basically applies to all escalations

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

redeyes posted:

Didn't everybody ITT tell you it was an obvious scam and not to bother, but you went ahead anyway because it would be easy to get your money back?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

I remember, and we were saying don't do it.

Efb ^^^

You're lucky they didn't close the PayPal account though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 19, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok. I'll make a youtube video about my plight and monetize it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh do it. If you somehow made a profit that would own.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

redeyes posted:

Twitch stream your customer service calls.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Didn't someone in this subforum start a weird thread about something like this, and cried on a YouTube video they themselves uploaded? Like it was all in the OP and everything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN is pretty sure Turing is a gaming uarch:

quote:

We think it's a gaming architecture, but we're not fully positive. Our confidence on the name is quite high, but our confidence on what it will be used for is less so -- it was, at one point, our understanding that Turing would be a gaming uarch. We're not sure if that has changed in the past months.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 19, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That doesn't sound like "Pretty Sure"

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

buglord posted:

Didn't someone in this subforum start a weird thread about something like this, and cried on a YouTube video they themselves uploaded? Like it was all in the OP and everything.

Probably the Finalmouse saga with the Canadian goon who couldn't get a replacement shipped to Canada:
FinalMouse is a poo poo company with awful service. I cried about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dude is a known retard goon, im not surprised

should have bought this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J9JC6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

same sensor, nearly just as light, same internals, better switches and less than 1/2 the price

both mice are just empty plastic shells and you are paying for the sensor

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
yeah the problem with the obvious seller scam is that scam sellers generally clear the money from the related account ASAP
once that happens, ebay goes from "BUYER IS ALWAYS RIGHT, BUYER PROTECTION 100% GUARANTEED" to "wait you mean we'd have to cough up the money to pay the buyer back?"

Same poo poo happens to legit sellers who a scam buyer does a credit card chargeback on. At that point, either Paypal is going to have to pay from their own pocket, or determine that you, the legit seller, are in fact a scammer. Guess what they decide.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Intel has a prototype discrete GPU designed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel has a prototype discrete GPU designed.

Nvidia and AMD should be in the fetal position. Also seems like in the coming year or two I'll finally be glorified in shorting nvidias bubble of a stock.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Well.. If its any good. Intels advantage is being able to integrate a gpu on the cpu package. Once you put it in a PCIe slot, you have to compete on a pretty level playing field with two very well established companies.

I mean I sincerely hope it works out but im skeptical to say the least

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

Well.. If its any good. Intels advantage is being able to integrate a gpu on the cpu package. Once you put it in a PCIe slot, you have to compete on a pretty level playing field with two very well established companies.

I mean I sincerely hope it works out but im skeptical to say the least

If it were any other company I'd agree. But off of pure assets, intel is over 12 times the size of nVidia and can just dump r&d like no other tech company. AMD has been able to compete on certain levels (albeit like 4 programs) with nVidia high tier cards.

From a business perspective they need to diversify consumer hardware away from exclusively cpus. While it cripples AMD to do both, Intel won't have to worry about being spread thin, I think.

Also didn't they steal most of vega's architects?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Article specifically says it is built on their current Execution Units design and also that it aims for power efficiency, not performance. I don't think there's too much interesting here -- yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Well, an efficient big GPU is really just an efficient small GPU scaled up. Power consumption is the biggest limitation on GPU performance these days, otherwise it's pretty simple to just stamp out additional execution units on your design (unless you design yourself into a corner like with GCN).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 20, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

If Raja does produce a kickass gpu with Intel that fast though you really have to start wondering

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Intel have been surprisingly on the ball with GPU tech over the last few years, Skylake was actually the first GPU to support the entire suite of optional DX12 features. AMD didn't reach that milestone until Vega and Nvidia still hasn't.

Whether they can scale their design up without hitting any weird bottlenecks is anyone's guess though :shrug:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, it would seem that the issues in scaling up a small-scale GPU to a large-scale one are non-trivial. There are several companies that make fairly competent small-scale GPUs (see: everyone's phones), for example, but those aren't exactly scalable to compete with the usual batch of dGPUs, and AMD has spent years trying to figure out how to scale their poo poo past a certain point.

Intel also seems to have made very clear over the last few years that their bread-and-butter is power efficiency, not straight up performance. I expect we'll see the same sort of strategy from their GPUs; leverage them to get competent but not break-out performance, but at a power level that'll allow heftier GPUs to be smushed into power-limited platforms (*cough* laptops *cough*) than current iGPUs allow.

So, basically great news for ultralite laptops and whatnot, probably not too exciting for desktops outside of the HTPC and extreme-budget categories.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I put a MSI GTX 1070 ti on backorder from amazon a little while ago, it said they would email with an ETA but I haven't heard anything. Just curious how long goons have had to wait for their backordered cards. Weeks, months, years?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Yeah, it would seem that the issues in scaling up a small-scale GPU to a large-scale one are non-trivial. There are several companies that make fairly competent small-scale GPUs (see: everyone's phones), for example, but those aren't exactly scalable to compete with the usual batch of dGPUs, and AMD has spent years trying to figure out how to scale their poo poo past a certain point.

AMD knows how to scale their poo poo, they just don't want to spend the money to do the redesign.

quote:

Talking to AMD’s engineers about the matter, they haven’t taken any steps with Vega to change this. They have made it clear that 4 compute engines is not a fundamental limitation – they know how to build a design with more engines – however to do so would require additional work. In other words, the usual engineering trade-offs apply, with AMD’s engineers focusing on addressing things like HBCC and rasterization as opposed to doing the replumbing necessary for additional compute engines in Vega 10.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/2

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

DrDork posted:

So, basically great news for ultralite laptops and whatnot, probably not too exciting for desktops outside of the HTPC and extreme-budget categories.

I imagine that raising the bottom floor will also encourage developers to make more demanding games in general.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
That prototype looks more like a test bed for per-EU voltage domains and turbo frequencies for the next gen iGPUs rather than an actual try at a dedicated GPU.

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD knows how to scale their poo poo, they just don't want to spend the money to do the redesign.

Can't spend what you (up until recently) don't have.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

"We know how to make our products not suck donkey dick, we're just intentionally deciding not to do it and instead focusing on other aspects that don't really help our product much" doesn't really scream honesty.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DrDork posted:

"We know how to make our products not suck donkey dick, we're just intentionally deciding not to do it and instead focusing on other aspects that don't really help our product much" doesn't really scream honesty.

I think it's more like "We know how to make our products not suck, but we can't afford to".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

Or "we've looked at own design deficiencies and what we need to target, and decided this is what makes the most sense."

Armchair analysis can be insightful, but keep in mind we aren't the ones familiar with the nitty gritty.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Wasn't what became Xeon Phi also talked about as a potential dGPU early in development? Larrabee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

I think it's more like "We know how to make our products not suck, but we can't afford to".

Yeah, if you read between the lines this would be a significant "re-plumbing" of GCN, i.e. pretty expensive, whereas just bolting more poo poo onto the side was perceived as cheaper.