Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

there was a tesla dealership in the mall we stopped into in tampa. I didn’t go in.

thanks for reading.

hey i live near that mall and i've seen that tesla store! they also have a windows store that's trying adorably hard to be an apple store :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also my dad has a radio license and for a while had a small tower up next to his shop area and when i was a kid i used to play with it and find weird sounds and record them thinking they were bloopy-sounding aliens talking alien languages from space

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ate all the Oreos posted:

hey i live near that mall and i've seen that tesla store! they also have a windows store that's trying adorably hard to be an apple store :3:

lol. i saw that too. bless their hearts for trying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

[...] a windows store that's trying adorably hard to be an apple store :3:

There’s an Apple Store in a mall near me. I went to pick up an iPad, and directly across from it was a Samsung store. It’s an outdoor mall, and this was a freestanding store (not in the main structure like the Apple Store was). All glass walls and ceiling. There were *maybe* 15 people in this fairly large (1,200 sq ft or so) store, and directly across is the Apple Store with about 100+ customers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

There’s an Apple Store in a mall near me. I went to pick up an iPad, and directly across from it was a Samsung store. It’s an outdoor mall, and this was a freestanding store (not in the main structure like the Apple Store was). All glass walls and ceiling. There were *maybe* 15 people in this fairly large (1,200 sq ft or so) store, and directly across is the Apple Store with about 100+ customers.

And yet Samsung sells a ton more than Apple. Makes u think

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

:same:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech posted:

lol if u think

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fishmech posted:

no, not really.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fishmech posted:

Yeah, it makes me think that Samsung has zero clue on how to create a compelling retail space. They ape the style with no understanding (hm... kind of like their phones).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
death of retail: barnes and noble edition

quote:

On Monday the company laid off 1,800 people. This offered a cost savings of $40 million. But that’s particularly interesting. That means each of those people made an average of $22,000 or so per year and minimum wage workers – hourly folks who are usually hit hardest during post-holiday downturns – would be making $15,000. In fact, what B&N did was fire all full time employees at 781 stores.

Further, the company laid off many shipping receivers around the holidays, resulting in bare shelves and a customer escape to Amazon. In December 2017, usually B&N’s key month, sales dropped 6 percent to $953 million. Online sales fell 4.5 percent.
other companies that pulled the whole "lets fire all our fulltime employees with zero warning" maneuver include circuit city so :rip: b&n

youd think as the last big national chain standing (after borders collapsed) theyd have the space to stay afloat but lovely management gotta manage shittily i guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah they have no chance. their entire market is old people who cant use the internet and they're dying off

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

nah they have no chance. their entire market is old people who cant use the internet and they're dying off

yeah, you could smell the stench of death when nook failed to really take off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it makes me think that Samsung has zero clue on how to create a compelling retail space. They ape the style with no understanding (hm... kind of like their phones).

Apple stores are only full cuz apple products constantly break

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
b&n could have pivoted at any time but didn’t.

gently caress em

also they failed at this used market thing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

yeah, you could smell the stench of death when nook failed to really take off.

*nook designer guy* what people want on an eink reader is a second screen that's lcd and eats a lot of power

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fishmech posted:

*nook designer guy* what people want on an eink reader is a second screen that's lcd and eats a lot of power

when kobo did this they at least had the sanity to keep making eink readers, which continue to own

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tesla aspiring to that coveted british leyland build quality is inspiring imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

Apple stores are only full cuz apple products constantly break

I’ve never even seen a Samsung store so that means they don’t break right

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

hobbesmaster posted:

Not much point in trying to repair the smolding slag leftover from a lithium fire.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

Normal people don't need a special store to handle constantly breaking crap like apple products

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

Normal people don't need a special store to handle constantly breaking crap like apple products

are generic phone repair shops not a thing where you live or something because they're all over the fuckin' place here

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
samsung has a huge chip on their shoulder about Apple is still extremely thirsty for an equally-relevant Retail Experience and also love trying to buy cool and dumped a ton of money into an Experience Store in the meatpacking district.

they had an 'art exhibit' where a quarter-round mirrored tunnel which vaguely smells like puke is filled with LCDs that blasts photos and yells text from your instagram at you, so it just screamed CRUSTIES at me while I stumbled for the exit. There's their
Oh, and you can't actually buy anything there because that would anger their other Sales Partners.

They coned-off like half a block in midtown to set up a 'mobile service center' during one of the coldest weeks of the year and I saw nobody there, ever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

they had an 'art exhibit' where a quarter-round mirrored tunnel which vaguely smells like puke is filled with LCDs that blasts photos and yells text from your instagram at you, so it just screamed CRUSTIES at me while I stumbled for the exit.

jesus christ that sounds worse than any bad drug trip i've ever had

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

are generic phone repair shops not a thing where you live or something because they're all over the fuckin' place here

and they're competing with each other, so they give you a good service at a non-extortionate price

i like them very much

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You'll notice they're not the special one brand only repair store, because no other brand breaks nearly as often as iphones, which are God's mistakes.

Namaste

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/20/nuance-ends-development-of-the-swype-keyboard-apps/

quote:

The party is over for third party keyboards. But hey, it was fun while it lasted. Nuance, the company that acquired veteran swipe-to-type keyboard maker Swype — all the way back in 2011, shelling out a cool $100M — has ended development of its Swype+Dragon dictation Android and iOS apps.

The news was reported earlier by the Xda developer blog, which spotted a Reddit post by a user and says it got confirmation from Nuance that development for both the Android and iOS apps has been discontinued.

nothing like getting gamebreaking news from an official release channel

quote:

As Xda points out, Nuance has been concentrating on its b2b business using its speech recognition tech to enable speech to text utility — such as a dedicated version of its dictation product which is targeted at healthcare workers.

The b2b space also provides the business model that’s so often been lacking for keyboard players in the consumer space (even those with hundreds of millions of users — frankly, the typing was on the wall when major player Swiftkey took the exit route to Microsoft back in 2016).

The wider context here is that as speech recognition technologies have got better — improvements in turn made possible thanks to language models trained with data sucked up from keyboard inputs — voice interfaces can start to supplant keyboard-based input methods in more areas.

that would be fantastic news but talking to your phone makes you look like an even bigger tool than usual, and "you can talk to your phone instead" isn't an alternative to having a usable keyboard on a handheld computer what is wrong with people

anroid

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah this seems like another "tablets will replace laptops!!!" thing that will get pushed real hard until the people pushing it realize oh wait that's a loving terrible idea and nobody wants it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Or the marketing frenzy will work and normies will love it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
doctors have a very valid reason to use text-to-speech since they deal with germs and patients all day everyday

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

doctors have a very valid reason to use text-to-speech since they deal with germs and patients all day everyday

do they though? it seems like it's a royal pain in the rear end to even get them to enter orders and poo poo digitally.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
people getting fishmechd in 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just lol if you think you can build a business aping a core os feature

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

graph posted:

the fishmech eternal

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

flakeloaf posted:

talking to your phone makes you look like an even bigger tool than usual

why is that man talking into that box

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FCKGW posted:

swype was a great way to improve a touch screen keyboard but there would be no way the company could survive if the native keyboard added it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

The party is over for third party keyboards.

if an app is a third party then who is the second

since presumably the os kb is the first

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

President Beep posted:

do they though? it seems like it's a royal pain in the rear end to even get them to enter orders and poo poo digitally.

that's definitely true and is why there is demand for that software. doctors are often used to dictating notes which then get sent off to someone else to transcribe them into the medical record. as you can imagine this is often an extremely expensive logistical and security nightmare that hospitals want to get rid of, but haven't been able to stamp out because of doctor tantrums.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

a what now

aren't pokey keyboards still bog-standard?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

well, actually, he's just fishmeching into the void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

that's definitely true and is why there is demand for that software. doctors are often used to dictating notes which then get sent off to someone else to transcribe them into the medical record. as you can imagine this is often an extremely expensive logistical and security nightmare that hospitals want to get rid of, but haven't been able to stamp out because of doctor tantrums.

doctors ain't gonna proofread poo poo to make sure that racoon natural speed king hasn't turned their patient notes into pomo beat poetry