Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think the Free Action spell did cure Stun in vanilla BG2 but not prevent it? Something weird like that at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's not that Undead Hunter is bad in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, it's more that, in 1, you don't fight that much undead, and in 2, there's already a lot of anti-undead poo poo that eclipses their usefulness. Cavalier suffers in turn from their bonuses not coming up that often, and not being that great of bonuses against those enemies. And of course, neither are Inquisitors, and Baldur's Gate 2, especially closer and closer to end game, is a game that is largely about managing enemy magic, which is the Inquisitor specialization. But, again, neither are bad by any means; they just don't shine as bright.

Except in Icewind Dale, where there's way, way less enemy magic to deal with, and the game is just filled to burst with undead, so Undead Hunter leaps ahead and becomes the reaper returned, with the Cavalier honestly not that far behind as Lay On Hands and it's instant nature becomes more valuable, as does anti-fear effects for the party.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Quick Question: Could Paladins in 2eAD&D get access to level 5 and 6 Divine spells at suitably high levels like in Icewind Dale I, or was that a Sawyerism to try and balance Paladins vs Fighter/Cleric variants at higher levels?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Entropy238 posted:

Quick Question: Could Paladins in 2eAD&D get access to level 5 and 6 Divine spells at suitably high levels like in Icewind Dale I, or was that a Sawyerism to try and balance Paladins vs Fighter/Cleric variants at higher levels?

I don't have my 2.5e books anymore, but I found this Googling and it seems to line up with my memory:

quote:

- He can cast priest spells once he reaches 9th level, but only from the combat, divination, healing, and protective spheres. He does not gain extra spells due to a high Wisdom score, and his casting level is his current level -8, to a maximum of caster level 9 at the 17th level. His casts very few spells per day, and his highest spells are 4th level spells.

So they should have a much more limited pool to choose from and top out at 4th level Clerical spells. I don't IWD1 restricts the spheres a Paladin can use either.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's what I figured, considering it's consistent with the other D&D games.

It's a nice boost. Same for Ranger getting level 5/6 Druid spells as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Entropy238 posted:

taint toucher posted:

I don't have my 2.5e books anymore, but I found this Googling and it seems to line up with my memory:

So they should have a much more limited pool to choose from and top out at 4th level Clerical spells. I don't IWD1 restricts the spheres a Paladin can use either.

One of the Player's Option books made it so they could start casting at 4th level and I think cast higher level spells.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

IIRC, the high-level campaigns book allowed Paladins to read Priest scrolls once they reach level 21 and scribe them at 24. Rangers got the same option, and Bards were even allowed to learn spells from levels 7 and 8.

Of course, the IE games never completely followed the 2nd edition rules, and that's especially true for epic levels.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Temple of Elemental Evil question - is there a point to marrying Fruella if I don't really want her in my party? Will I get xp for it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Icewind Dale EE is 4 bucks on GOG for the next 6 hours, this was not the first time it popped up in the rotation for this flash sale, so if you miss it consider taking a peek every 6 hours or so.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Phlegmish posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil question - is there a point to marrying Fruella if I don't really want her in my party? Will I get xp for it?

You'll get xp, you'll get an ok (her axe) weapon, and a mediocre fighter that you can never get rid of short of death. And you will send her to her death because she is unbelievably annoying. I almost never bother. If I'm that chuffed for xp I'll just get a few random encounters. Fun note about her though, as her axe can't be taken from her while she still lives, it's considered to be a returning axe if you throw it. So she has that going for her I suppose.

The OTHER gal you can marry in town? She's TOTALLY worth getting. You can even leave her behind if you just want to get the holy longsword that you get as a dowry. (though she's probably one of the better npcs you can get, so why would you?). Her stats might be a little low in the combat places, but she's low level (which is a VERY good thing in this game since the game loves to give poo poo feats/skills to npcs) and she's a competent druid. She'll be useful all the way to the end of the game. Also the hyenas she can summon as her pet are stupidly strong at lower levels.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 17, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks. I married Meleny, who is bizarrely naive but definitely less annoying than Fruella. I've never really played a druid before (except Jaheira I guess), what kind of equipment should I be putting on her? Also, I can't see any of her stats, is that normal?

I have a mechanics question as well. I've played all of the IE games so I have a vague idea of how D&D works, but this is the first turn-based D&D game I've played. Initiative determines when your character gets to take a turn, right? This seems very important. Should I get Improved Initiative for everyone?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Skwirl posted:

Icewind Dale EE is 4 bucks on GOG for the next 6 hours, this was not the first time it popped up in the rotation for this flash sale, so if you miss it consider taking a peek every 6 hours or so.

Thanks! I missed it on Steam for the Winter sale, grabbed it this time.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Skwirl posted:

It is also 4 bucks on Steam until Monday (I grabbed the entire bundle because why not, I might actually want to finish BG1/try SOD/PST/IWD someday.)

I assume there isn't and will never be an IWD2EE?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

I assume there isn't and will never be an IWD2EE?

There isn't, and apparently the source code for the original game isn't available, so it's unlikely at best.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Make sure you get the v2.5 beta for icewind dale, its engine was upgraded recently with all the SoD improvements. It can be selected in the betas options in steam.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. I married Meleny, who is bizarrely naive but definitely less annoying than Fruella. I've never really played a druid before (except Jaheira I guess), what kind of equipment should I be putting on her? Also, I can't see any of her stats, is that normal?

I have a mechanics question as well. I've played all of the IE games so I have a vague idea of how D&D works, but this is the first turn-based D&D game I've played. Initiative determines when your character gets to take a turn, right? This seems very important. Should I get Improved Initiative for everyone?

Yes, get Improved Initiative for everyone. It’s exactly as important as you think it is.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just started my first IWD game. Party consists of a Skjald, totemic druid, sorcerer, berserker, archer, and half-gnome thief/illusionist. I haven't left the first town yet.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

I just started my first IWD game. Party consists of a Skjald, totemic druid, sorcerer, berserker, archer, and half-gnome thief/illusionist. I haven't left the first town yet.

get to to have an easy time

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dyna Soar posted:

get to ________ (????) to have an easy time

I feel like this post is withholding crucial information.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

I feel like this post is withholding crucial information.

hah, i meant to write get ready to have an easy time. meaning that party is ridiculously op. i'm not good at posting on my phone

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well...that's not entirely by accident. I saw some talk itt about proper party selection being key to IWD.
Also I really really suck at Infinity Engine combat. Bad enough to be stuck in a PS:T fight with a high-level party :(

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well...that's not entirely by accident. I saw some talk itt about proper party selection being key to IWD.
Also I really really suck at Infinity Engine combat. Bad enough to be stuck in a PS:T fight with a high-level party :(

its kind of a double edged sword. you can cripple yourself by a bad party, but then at the same time the game wasn't balanced for kits in mind.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't know. Archers are very strong (except when they aren't because gently caress you, every enemy is a skeleton for an hour) and Sorcerers break party selection wide open just because scroll availability is an issue. Totemic Druid can be silly when the summons get weapon immunity, too. And some of the spells added by the EE have a big impact.
But the most broken thing in IWD is arguably still a regular Fighter/Illusionist once you've got Mirror Images and Stoneskin, and that's something you could always play, so v:kiddo:v

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
skald, archer, berserker, sorcerer and one of the most powerful classes in the game, illusionist/thief in the same party is OP as gently caress, especially considering IWD is mostly just melee opponents.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 19, 2018

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Should I bother with the EE editions if I already have the old games on GOG?

Do they make all those old mods and fixes obsolete ?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Should I bother with the EE editions if I already have the old games on GOG?

Do they make all those old mods and fixes obsolete ?

I wouldn't pay full price for any of them, but they go on sale a couple times a year.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so is the first Icewind Dale one of these games that take some time to get good? I'm exploring these crypts full of undead and I'm bored out of my mind

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

frajaq posted:

so is the first Icewind Dale one of these games that take some time to get good? I'm exploring these crypts full of undead and I'm bored out of my mind

Yea for sure. That area is a slog. But everything after that is pretty great.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

frajaq posted:

Both IWDs are linear dungeon crawlers with very little in the way of plot or interesting characterization.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So I know low level AD&D characters are usually (?) pretty weak. But my Elf Archer and Half-Orc Berserker just smash poo poo and wreck pretty hard. We're still at level 1.
I like where this is going so far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

It gets less generic after that, but almost the entire game is a dungeon crawl. If you're not interested in combat and building up your characters, it's not the game for you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

So I know low level AD&D characters are usually (?) pretty weak. But my Elf Archer and Half-Orc Berserker just smash poo poo and wreck pretty hard. We're still at level 1.
I like where this is going so far.

Ranged combat is amazing at low levels, and there's a reason Berserker is often considered the easiest solo class for BG1.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dyna Soar posted:

skald, archer, berserker, sorcerer and one of the most powerful classes in the game, illusionist/thief in the same party is OP as gently caress, especially considering IWD is mostly just melee opponents.
I'm not saying it's not a very strong party, just that you could easily break IWD before the EE came out. The EE even made it harder in a sense because you can no longer trivialize nearly everything with Web + (stolen) Rings of Free Action. Animate Dead got toned down as well, and outside of Heart of Fury just getting a ton of summons and buffing them is one of the easiest paths to victory.

frajaq posted:

Icewind Dale bravely defied conventional video game wisdom by making the first dungeon the worst of the game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

Icewind Dale bravely defied conventional video game wisdom by making the first dungeon the worst of the game.

If there were more NPC's early that talked to you or screwed with you that area could be fun, but the small amount of exposition comes at the very end and isn't hardly hinted at beforehand.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

If there were more NPC's early that talked to you or screwed with you that area could be fun, but the small amount of exposition comes at the very end and isn't hardly hinted at beforehand.
I don't necessarily disagree, however, Imbued Wights.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm not saying it's not a very strong party, just that you could easily break IWD before the EE came out. The EE even made it harder in a sense because you can no longer trivialize nearly everything with Web + (stolen) Rings of Free Action.

Can you expand on this a bit? I've been playing the EE for the first time and found this exact combination quite good, what was even more powerful about it in the original? For reference, I've only just beaten the snake dungeon, if it starts sucking later on :smith:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
No, it stays good. There are just enemies that are immune to Web (and Entangle) specifically. If you've finished the Yuan-Ti part you might have noticed that against the Verbeeg in the mini dungeon right before that already. That just wasn't the case in the original game. So it will sometimes just not work at all now, while in the original IWD your only real worry were enemies with good enough saving throws to not care anyway.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 20, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
From what I recall, Web was changed in some way? I think maybe pre-EE, once you got caiught by web, that was it until the spell ended, but now it "pulses" every turn so you can break free? I'm nowhere near 100% on this.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I recall, Web was changed in some way? I think maybe pre-EE, once you got caiught by web, that was it until the spell ended, but now it "pulses" every turn so you can break free? I'm nowhere near 100% on this.

yeah this is true, the pulse web is bg2 and thus so is any EE for spells and iwd before was bg1 which acted until the spell ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

IWD1 is a constant cycle of hard as nails/RNG-fest ->shitloads of easy chaff -> hard as nails/RNG-fest.