Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

dragonshardz posted:

Nuka World Raider Conquest run at same difficulty with same mods?

Yeah, I'll give that a go. Gonna restart though. So many improvements I need to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, trying to care about settlers in Horizon, how the hecks do I get to give them the outfits and gear that the Nexus page talks about?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Post poste posted:

Okay, trying to care about settlers in Horizon, how the hecks do I get to give them the outfits and gear that the Nexus page talks about?

Interact with them while sneaking.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Trying out Vortex and it seems to run poorly and have a horrible UI.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

horse mans posted:

I need some help. I'm 90% done an extremely hardcore survival run. Horizon on Outcast difficulty, in Desolation mode. Zombie walkers causing huge amounts of ferals everywhere, which I managed to survive without a single scratch.

What do I do for a challenge now? I don't like arbitrary rules like No VATS or No Power Armor. I guess FROST is next, but I'd welcome suggestions for more mods to my current loadout.

Idk if this counts as an arbitrary rule, but you could always try a different type of build. If you usually go for stealth sniping, see if you can make melee work.

I'd also suggest you consider a strict RP run of some kind. It's definitely arbitrary, but it feels a lot more natural than having a laundry list of unconnected rules.

Could also use Respawn Relays and set it so you lose your equipment (perhaps permanently) when you die.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about replaying this because I never did the dlc, are there good mods now to make the settlement system fun?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

shovelbum posted:

I'm thinking about replaying this because I never did the dlc, are there good mods now to make the settlement system fun?

Sim Settlements is basically your one stop shop for making settlements more interesting, and if you like that you might add Rise of the Commonwealth to it, or any number of other add-ons. You put down plots and settlers build their own things on them, so the look of your settlements will be more interesting without as much fuss. You can control the kind of thing they build by clicking on the plot and picking the build plan if you decide what they picked for themselves wasn't up to your standards, but it's pretty nice to just let 'em go about their business and come back to a bustling community that looks pretty lived in.

The guy who made Horizon also put together Architect, and it lets you put down power box objects that have different build plans in them that you can customize, ranging from small houses and apartment buildings to colossal piers and an industrial dock that you can slap down and build on/in, and it's compatible with Sim Settlements. It is currently embedded in Horizon, which many have found to be a pretty good overhaul, but it's supposed to have a separate release eventually.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Does Arbitration cause any issues with Horizon? I'm about to start a new game with Horizon and haven't been able to figure out if there's any conflict between those two.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

The guy who made Horizon also put together Architect, and it lets you put down power box objects that have different build plans in them that you can customize, ranging from small houses and apartment buildings to colossal piers and an industrial dock that you can slap down and build on/in, and it's compatible with Sim Settlements. It is currently embedded in Horizon, which many have found to be a pretty good overhaul, but it's supposed to have a separate release eventually.

Horizon itself also does a lot to make settlements more interesting and useful by making settlers useful in various ways.

e: also while it's technically "embedded" in Horzion in the sense that it's only available as part of the main Horizon download, it actually doesn't require any other part of the mod to function, so if you really want you can download Horizon just for the Architect .esp and disabled the rest

The Skeleton King posted:

Does Arbitration cause any issues with Horizon? I'm about to start a new game with Horizon and haven't been able to figure out if there's any conflict between those two.

Almost definitely. Pretty much everything that Arbitration touches is also affected by Horizon.

On the plus side that means you shouldn't feel the need to use Arbitration anyway.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 16, 2018

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Honestly I use arbitration (just the combat AI changes) in most of my play throughs, even the Horizon ones, and I haven’t seen any specific issues. Combat is always engaging and challenging.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What does Arbitration do to combat AI?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I understand that you have the ability to add water pumps or whatever to Rise of the Commonwealth settlements to help them out, but does that also apply to power? The Red Rocket settlement started with plots and a Recruitment beacon, but no generator to actually give power...

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

What does Arbitration do to combat AI?

From the docs:

quote:

Made AI (including companions) attack things all the time instead of waiting to be shot half the time (non-mirelurk wildlife, power armor, and some special npcs left untouched)
Made ranged AI focus on flanking
Increased odds of strafing for ranged AI
AI won't blindly charge out of cover nearly as much (change made after the video below)
AI won't change from cover to similar cover as much
Increased Hostile/Alert/Lost detection times

So I start playing with combat behaviors. It's not messing with code, 'cause I can't, just how the AI uses code. And the code is actually pretty decent! But unfortunately this game shares much of its code with medieval games like Skyrim. In those games, passive defending is a good idea. Swordplay, yo. But in this game, you have a gun and someone else has a gun. How do you defend? BY SHOOTING YOUR loving GUN. And I start messing with behaviors and lo and behold telling people to be 100% attack does not tell them NOT to seek cover. It doesn't tell them NOT to strafe. It doesn't tell them NOT to flank. It tells them to shoot at you in 100% of the situations in which shooting at a person is a logical decision when you want them to have bullet holes in them rather than you have bullet holes in you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

toasterwarrior posted:

I understand that you have the ability to add water pumps or whatever to Rise of the Commonwealth settlements to help them out, but does that also apply to power? The Red Rocket settlement started with plots and a Recruitment beacon, but no generator to actually give power...

As part of placing autogenerated plots due to settlement population, RotC settlements also connect those plots to an invisible settlement power source. Any such plots, as well as power-using objects like lights, beacons, and sirens placed as part of the city plan, will never need power.

Anything you add yourself, including removing city plots and dropping your own in their place, will need to be powered by you.

I think after that, your HUD power may still come up one plot short, because your settlement leader gets an invisible work plot to stop them being assigned something else, but that may or may not be powered.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's weird, because I connected the Red Rocket recruitment beacon to a generator and the power "issue" disappeared. Also a new settler came after, though that could just be the usual recruitment delay. Ah well, thanks for the info regardless.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

From the docs:

I can't remember if Arbitration still works or not.

When I was messing around with the CK I was able to get a combat style set up for NPCs where they just flat out ignore cover and do nothing but shoot at you and walk directly towards you. It was also pretty nifty because I could give that guy an LMG with an absurd magazine size and he would act like your standard "tough man with big gun" that you'd find in Uncharted or Far Cry. I really wish that someone would go through the LL's and make unique combat styles for specific kinds of weapons, but that seems like it'd be a nightmare for compatibility.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

turn off the TV posted:

When I was messing around with the CK I was able to get a combat style set up for NPCs where they just flat out ignore cover and do nothing but shoot at you and walk directly towards you.

So you turned it back into FO3 and NV? :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

http://horsemans.online/horizon_docs/ now supports searching across all of Horizon's release notes instantly. Next step is cleaning up the release notes formatting and fixing dumb search poo poo.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

As much as I want to like horizon, I'm getting tired of the absurd variety or hard to find materials I need for literally everything. How am I supposed to get enough day tripper and other poo poo to make combat stimpaks in any useful quantities? Where the hell do I get Steel Alloy S1/S2 or Aluminum alloy S1/S2? How do I get a cargo bot? Where do all these super specific materials come from? I need them and I am tired of looking for them.

Also why does a mole rat bite poison you for half an hour? It's annoying, and antidotes use materials I can't find and might be perk locked, I need to check that again.

I just want to have challenging combat that isn't all bullet sponges or paper enemies, I don't care for huge amounts of complexity. It feels very tedious to me. I can handle all this new stuff but I have no idea how to streamline things so I can stop carrying mountains of trash that aren't even what I need.

Overall, once I figure it all out, I feel I will like horizon overall.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rather than carrying piles of trash I just chuck literally everything into the Workbench (connected with supply lines).

Edit: I also got into the habit of using the personal toolkit to break down all the junk into basic materials before storing it, makes the list of stuff shorter and easier to see how much I have of what.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 17, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Any advice on how to get enough day tripper to make more pharmaceuticals to make more combat stimpacks?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

As much as I want to like horizon, I'm getting tired of the absurd variety or hard to find materials I need for literally everything. How am I supposed to get enough day tripper and other poo poo to make combat stimpaks in any useful quantities? Where the hell do I get Steel Alloy S1/S2 or Aluminum alloy S1/S2? How do I get a cargo bot? Where do all these super specific materials come from? I need them and I am tired of looking for them.

Also why does a mole rat bite poison you for half an hour? It's annoying, and antidotes use materials I can't find and might be perk locked, I need to check that again.

I just want to have challenging combat that isn't all bullet sponges or paper enemies, I don't care for huge amounts of complexity. It feels very tedious to me. I can handle all this new stuff but I have no idea how to streamline things so I can stop carrying mountains of trash that aren't even what I need.

Overall, once I figure it all out, I feel I will like horizon overall.

For the alloy stuff you will be rolling in it with the fortune finder perk. Legendary enemies will also often drop special junk items that have alloy materials in them. You don't need Day Tripper specifically to make pharmaceuticals, there are like 6 different recipes that require different stuff (some of which require perks but most don't).

With stuff like Cargo Bots and Turret Parts and other weird stuff, you need to build a Tech Lab - it's a new crafting station Horizon adds and has recipes for all sorts of weird miscellaneous utility stuff. If you see a requirement that you can't find anywhere in the world, it's probably crafted there.

Poison was changed to last longer but deal less damage per second, so the overall damage dealt is the same but it takes longer to wear off naturally (and yeah it is annoying but you don't get poisoned THAT often - just save your antidotes until you clear out all the mole rats/whatever, because the damage won't add up to a lot).

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Any advice on how to get enough day tripper to make more pharmaceuticals to make more combat stimpacks?

So two things. One, there’s more than one recipe for many things. If you level up the right perks, eventually you’ll get four or five different Pharmaceuticals recipes, and some of them will have ingredients which are easier to obtain. As an example I just saw, once you get to Local Leader 3, all you need to make supply kits are settler rations and purified water, whereas at the start of the game it takes carrots, corn, purified water, and a handful of other things.

Two, I’m curious about the frequency of your stimpak usage. Combat in Horizon should be much more defensive than most vanilla play-styles, and the large health pool should get you through encounters to bandaging up after combat, making Combat Stimpaks less of a regular requirement. I think in my latest run, I probably used an average of one Combat Stimpak per level, with points in Medic helping to bridge the gap, and lots of hunting for valuables to sell for the occasional doctor patch-up.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

How am I supposed to get enough day tripper and other poo poo to make combat stimpaks in any useful quantities?

Like the horse said, you don't need Day Tripper specifically. There's recipes that call for various combinations of Jet, Psycho, Med-X and other more common drugs. I'll also echo the assertion that "useful quantities" is just a handful. In my last playthrough I don't think I crafted a single stimpak until level 30, and still never run out.

Where the hell do I get Steel Alloy S1/S2 or Aluminum alloy S1/S2? How do I get a cargo bot? Where do all these super specific materials come from? I need them and I am tired of looking for them.

Drops from legendary enemies, Technologist loot, settler missions, in certain rare junk. The "Research Project" mission in particular pays out almost exclusively in alloys, but they're also available from military and scavenging missions. There should also be some opportunity to trade for certain materials in the market terminal thing, but I'm kind of out of the loop on that one.

There's also a few places that have consistent "deposits". You can get a whole lot of Steel Alloy Grade-1 from the ruptured gas canisters in HalluciGen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

A low-impact green wasteland mod just went up on the nexus. I've wanted one of these for a while but couldn't reasonably run the big ones already there other than just the one that adds grass. :toot: So far other than constantly mistaking the ferns it adds for hubflowers that I can't harvest it's pretty awesome.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

horse mans posted:

So two things. One, there’s more than one recipe for many things. If you level up the right perks, eventually you’ll get four or five different Pharmaceuticals recipes, and some of them will have ingredients which are easier to obtain. As an example I just saw, once you get to Local Leader 3, all you need to make supply kits are settler rations and purified water, whereas at the start of the game it takes carrots, corn, purified water, and a handful of other things.

Two, I’m curious about the frequency of your stimpak usage. Combat in Horizon should be much more defensive than most vanilla play-styles, and the large health pool should get you through encounters to bandaging up after combat, making Combat Stimpaks less of a regular requirement. I think in my latest run, I probably used an average of one Combat Stimpak per level, with points in Medic helping to bridge the gap, and lots of hunting for valuables to sell for the occasional doctor patch-up.

I usually use one only when something catches me by surprise and I need health before I can deal with it or escape. I can usually go entire days ingame without needing it, but I like to have at least 5-6 stimpacks in case a mutant god-king-overlord shows up suddenly with his multi-missile launcher or a swarm of stingwings materializes out of a bus.

I will admit that my desire to kill sometimes overwhelms my desire to not get hurt and yeah it can cause bad things to happen to me. I'm the guy who knew about The Sorrow in MGS3 and saw it as a challenge and not a punishment.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 17, 2018

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I usually use one only when something catches me by surprise and I need health before I can deal with it or escape. I can usually go entire days ingame without needing it, but I like to have at least 5-6 stimpacks in case a mutant god-king-overlord shows up suddenly with his multi-missile launcher or a swarm of stingwings materializes out of a bus.

I will admit that my desire to kill sometimes overwhelms my desire to not get hurt and yeah it can cause bad things to happen to me. I'm the guy who knew about The Sorrow in MGS3 and saw it as a challenge and not a punishment.

That’s fair! And it’s not impossible. I’m about to start another play through with random SPECIAL stats to try different strategies, but my last guy was a demolitions expert, so the first minute or so of any dungeon encounter involved placing mines at all the right places. So I could aggro, let them chase me, and watch the carnage. But when it comes to close combat in the open, you have to be super aware of cover and what resistances your opponent has. And you can still get some stomping around in.

For example, before I took fort Hagen, I switched all the improvements in my power armor to favor energy damage resistance instead of ballistic. Then I could tromp around with my shotgun like a tank.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, I want to play Sim Settlements, what are some good mods to go with it?
I've hit the tipping point in Horizon where clearing out anything is just rote bullet spam.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29883

This plunger gun is loving delightful, look at it go. PLUNGE THE PLANET

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

A low-impact green wasteland mod just went up on the nexus. I've wanted one of these for a while but couldn't reasonably run the big ones already there other than just the one that adds grass. :toot: So far other than constantly mistaking the ferns it adds for hubflowers that I can't harvest it's pretty awesome.

Very minor bug I noticed with it is that the pre-war sequence has some purple (aka missing) textures with this mod - otherwise it's far more low-impact and 'realistic' than similar mods

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does blowing up the institute affect any of the DLCs?

I'm at the brink of attacking but I'm wondering if I need to hold off before finishing everything else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nope nuke away.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope nuke away.

Awesome. Thanks.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

maybe sturges doesn't have any downsides because sturges is the fuckin' man

I liked Sturges because he didn't try to guilt trip me over nuking Synth Sean.

"You want to leave him here? That's crazy! He's your kid!"
"No, my kid was an insane dictator who wanted to play God and is currently decomposing a few rooms over, this thing is his hosed up attempt to emotionally blackmail me post-mortem"
"Oh well I guess I didn't think about it like that. Off we go!"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

There should be a mod to turn Sturges into a companion proper like the Sunny Smiles one for NV.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Post poste posted:

Okay, I want to play Sim Settlements, what are some good mods to go with it?
I've hit the tipping point in Horizon where clearing out anything is just rote bullet spam.

Pretty much any add-on pack that's got its own section on the Sim Settlements forums - faves are Industrial City and Wasteland Venturers, but the Logistics Station is pretty key. Salvage Beacons does the same remote pickup you may already be used to as part of Horizon, but crewed by settlers not fueled by robots. All Settlements Extended goes well with Rise of the Commonwealth, in that it gives you space outside the usual bounds to do your own thing in.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to use that Logistics Station mod except that I'm not sure if every single RotC city plan has at least one industrial plot I can use for it. I could always just make my own, of course, but I'm not sure of the extent that each city plan reaches too; I already got surprised by how the Sanctuary build is shaping up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

toasterwarrior posted:

I want to use that Logistics Station mod except that I'm not sure if every single RotC city plan has at least one industrial plot I can use for it. I could always just make my own, of course, but I'm not sure of the extent that each city plan reaches too; I already got surprised by how the Sanctuary build is shaping up.

You can knock down any plot and put your own up, it'll just need power. The station has an interior variant too so you can just drop it in anywhere.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Glazius posted:

You can knock down any plot and put your own up, it'll just need power. The station has an interior variant too so you can just drop it in anywhere.

Doesn't the mod warn you about removing plots and items that are part of the city plan? I don't want to poke at whatever voodoo is keeping that all together, it's unstable enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Doesn't the mod warn you about removing plots and items that are part of the city plan? I don't want to poke at whatever voodoo is keeping that all together, it's unstable enough as it is.

You can remove anything you want, but it may break AI pathing or you may end up with weird overlapping elements since the city plan doesn't care about conflicting objects when it places things.

Once you hit city level 3 though, the plan is done and won't add any more stuff, so you can remodel more freely at that stage.