Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gboard is what I use but unless you have a pixel you have to install it yourself, and I'd imagine that most people don't even know that you can change your phone's keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

the google keyboard has the comma right next to the spacebar for me :shrug:

my sgs6 does not

i also cannot take a screenshot with its default keyboard open because the palm-swipe gesture isn't recognized while they keyboard is open

so i say again, android lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

my sgs6 does not

i also cannot take a screenshot with its default keyboard open because the palm-swipe gesture isn't recognized while they keyboard is open

there's a magic combination of volume and power button presses that take a screenshot too that never seems to work right when I try it so i mash them over and over and my screenshots all come out with the volume bar visible

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

my sgs6 does not

does holding down volume down and the power button not take a screenshot on ur shitphone?
gently caress uuuuuu ate all the oreos

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

nope, that makes a soft "volume down" boop sound and then locks the phone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

graph posted:

thank you :)

:grovertoot:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:aaa:

do you have insulated stairs in your house

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

nope, that makes a soft "volume down" boop sound and then locks the phone

my wife has the same phone as you and i guarantee you it works, you just have to get it just right

like it's hold power button then volume down, or maybe the other way around, or maybe press them both really close to each other... idk like i said it's fickle as hell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's fickle as hell

Anroid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chestnut santabag posted:

does holding down volume down and the power button not take a screenshot on ur shitphone?
gently caress uuuuuu ate all the oreos

in fairness you actually got the buttons right, as opposed to my advice of "just press all the buttons until it works" :v:

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

might also be a case of holding them both down for a few seconds

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ten or fifteen attempts later i have given up and just decided nobody wants to see what's on my screen any more than they want to see what i put on theirs

e: holding them down gives me the power off menu

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

graph posted:

people getting fishmechd in 2018

Yeah, that was on me. It didn't register I was engaging that idiot when I posted. Lesson learned.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i just tried it a bunch and on my phone it's press them both down at the same time (with a ridiculous tolerance of like 200ms of each other) and hold them for about two seconds

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

flakeloaf posted:

:aaa:

do you have insulated stairs in your house

:grovertoot: is actually a relatively recent addition to the groverhaus saga because someone noticed a few years ago that there was an odd pipe sticking out of the side of the shed in the background of the iconic picture where he's standing thigh deep in a sewage mess of his own creation. that pvc pipe sticking out was connected to a generator exhaust on the other side.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

website, official instructions: push the power and volume down buttosn together

video on the same website: here's me pushing the power and home buttons together and tada a screenshot

and that method works reliably

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

website, official instructions: push the power and volume down buttosn together

video on the same website: here's me pushing the power and home buttons together and tada a screenshot

and that method works reliably

oh boy now i get to shame my wife for being wrong

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

For nearly a decade, the advent of self-driving cars has been increasingly central to discussions of transportation and urban planning. As of this year’s Consumer Electronics Show, however, it’s safe to say that driverless cars have arrived. In place of the tech demonstrations of years past, CES 2018 was focused on where, how, and why self-driving cars will first hit the roads.

Change, of course, takes time; we won’t just wake up one day to discover our roads have been completely colonized by driverless vehicles. Still, between Google subsidiary Waymo’s already running “Early Riders” program in Phoenix, AZ, and the announcements at this year’s CES, it looks likely that we’ll be sharing the road with autonomous vehicles (AVs) before 2020.

It may be a full generation before the human driver goes the way of the Model T, however; the plan seems to be for AVs to start out offering services such as taxi rides or pizza delivery. This adoption period gives us a crucial window to begin preparing our cities and towns for an AV-driven future. Our task now is to sort through the visions of utopian prognosticators and dystopian doomsayers and decide what kind of future we’re planning for.

The optimistic view envisions a fleet of AV ride-shares moving fluidly through the city on narrow streets, dropping passengers at expansive curbs or pedestrian walkways before zipping off to grab their next patron. This is possible, of course, due to the superior reaction time and awareness of the AV, an ability that would also allow for narrower roads.

In the ideal scenario, the widespread adoption of ride-sharing would free up vast tracts of land currently devoted to parking. Even if half the currently driving population insists on owning their own AV, a huge amount of that land could be converted from automotive to human use. Between that and the reduction of street size, we could build homes, parks, schools, restaurants—all the urban features that make our cities and towns such lovely places to live. This is, like most idealized visions, a pretty picture.

But it’s important to consider an alternate perspective. From a more skeptical vantage point, AVs don’t facilitate more walkable metropolises, but instead contribute to ever-expanding sprawl. After all, if you’re not stuck behind the wheel, why does it matter how long your drive is? Driving six hours every day could seem less of a problem if commuters could spend the trip working, reading, or snagging a few more hours of sleep.

While that vision may hold a certain appeal to some, the environmental implications are staggering. Even if we assume that all AVs are electric, we’re still looking at a massive increase in energy consumption by cars. And that’s not to mention the natural and agricultural lands that would devoured by sprawling subdivisions, the watersheds drying up beneath oceans of pavement, or the wildlife corridors severed by a highway network that snakes ever outwards.

Ideally, we would face neither of these two scenarios. We don’t need to hypothesize about a future designed with automobiles in mind; we’ve spent our whole lives living it, and we’re still learning—and not learning—the same lessons again and again.

For example, the promise of ride-hail services such as Uber and Lyft was that they would take cars off the road——just like AVs. But that proved to be a pretty, idealistic, unrealistic picture. According to a recent UC Davis study, ride-hailing has actually increased the number of vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in the cities where it is available—the opposite of what we were promised. It turns out that in somewhere between 49 and 61 percent of cases, people used a ride-hail service instead of walking, biking, taking public transportation, or not going anywhere at all—not to substitute for driving. The parallels with AVs aren’t hard to see. And we can’t pretend we didn’t see it coming; experts have been warning us for years about the VMT increase ride-hailing would most likely cause.

So yeah, we’re familiar with a car-centric planning model. We’re familiar with sprawl development that reserves thirty percent of the land in residential neighborhoods for cars, not people; we’ve seen that number climb to seventy percent in the commercial parts of our cities and towns. We drive on roads with so many lanes and such complicated traffic patterns that only the most adventurous bicyclists dare to pedal down them, and crossing them is a long slog for people on foot. We expect pedestrians to stay out of the way of cars, stick to the sidewalks, and only cross streets at certain points, which can make walking a chore. We put the responsibility for their own safety on pedestrians, expecting them to check for cars, but don’t design our streets, or enforce laws, that encourage car drivers to yield to people walking.

We don’t know exactly what AV-centric planning might look like, but we already have myriad examples of communities built with a “vehicle-first” mindset.

Instead of planning for cars, with or without drivers, we should be planning for people, for the environment, for the future. Let’s create cities and towns surrounded by a vibrant and healthy greenbelt, and celebrate the ways those lands enrich our lives. Let’s encourage local agriculture, protect our water supply, and support the green infrastructure that can help defend us from flooding and wildfires. Let’s build out our public transportation network so everyone can get to work, to dinner with friends, or out of the city to play outside. And let’s supplement our trains and buses with protected bike paths and sidewalks, and with AVs.

AVs will undoubtedly have a huge impact on our lives in the years to come, and it would be foolhardy to ignore them as we plan our future. Even Lyft, as it announced plans for AV service, acknowledged this reality. In calling itself “a collaborator” with cities, Lyft acknowledges its role as one small part of the urban ecosystem, rather than the driver of its creation. So as we build the cities of the future, let’s remember that most important lesson from science-fiction. The robots should work in service of people and the landscapes we so cherish—not the other way around.

Kieffer Katz works at Greenbelt Alliance, an organization that advocates for smart growth and land conservation in the Bay Area.

https://cal.streetsblog.org/2018/02/13/guest-commentary-our-future-of-self-driving-cars/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

Google understood the word septuagenarian on the first try, by the way

thats because gog knows about the weird mailing lists you subscribe to

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

For nearly a decade, the advent of self-driving cars has been increasingly central to discussions of transportation and urban planning. As of this year’s Consumer Electronics Show, however, it’s safe to say that driverless cars have arrived. In place of the tech demonstrations of years past, CES 2018 was focused on where, how, and why self-driving cars will first hit the roads.

whoa kay there sparky imma stop you right there

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
gonna be hilarious when companies realize they'll have to staff an entire secondary fleet of vehicles to rescue the first fleet when they get stuck, also without a driver those cars and expensive sensors are gonna start taking hits from tire irons from pissed off people when the thing gets confused and blocks intersections

the only company that I think might be successful is that retirement city in florida because they have a captive market, laser scanned the roads, good weather, a very limited area for their auto-driving, and perfectly maintained wide suburban roads

that one convergence in the entire usa of all those factors is gonna bring an avalanche of secondary money and positive press so expect driverless cars to fail spectacularly in your city soon

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 20, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Foo posted:

bad dragon naturally leaking

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

So as we build the cities of the future, let’s remember that most important lesson from science-fiction. The robots should work in service of people and the landscapes we so cherish—not the other way around.

"the most important lesson from science fiction" :allears:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use gboard and it's gotten worse. it used to predict words fairly well for prepositional phrases and common multiple word phrases but now they just use that shelf emoticons and memes or sometimes the shelf doesn't appear at all. the swiping keyboard doesn't work well either, i think they changed the algorithm for it or letter spacing or something so instead of kinda lazy drawing across the screen you really have to sharply angle your path so it picks up on what letters you actually mean. basically it doesn't feel like magic anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bhodi posted:

gonna be hilarious when companies realize they'll have to staff an entire secondary fleet of vehicles to rescue the first fleet when they get stuck, also without a driver those cars and expensive sensors are gonna start taking hits from tire irons from pissed off people when the thing gets confused and blocks intersections

the only company that I think might be successful is that retirement city in florida because they have a captive market, laser scanned the roads, good weather, a very limited area for their auto-driving, and perfectly maintained wide suburban roads

that one convergence in the entire usa of all those factors is gonna bring an avalanche of secondary money and positive press so expect driverless cars to fail spectacularly in your city soon

waymo got the go-ahead to launch their autonomous taxi service somewhere near phoenix. so that's a thing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

waymo got the go-ahead to launch their autonomous taxi service somewhere near phoenix. so that's a thing

Bhodi posted:

expect driverless cars to fail spectacularly in your city soon

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

mesa, gilbert, and chandler are the places in phoenix you go when you feel phoenix has too many roundabouts and confusing streets.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I noticed that a thing that driverless cars haven't accounted for is that people will feel very, very bold when it comes to damaging cars without a rider

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

"the most important lesson from science fiction" :allears:

and here I thought the most important lesson was that humans of every conceivable ideology inevitably gently caress it all up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

flakeloaf posted:

seriously though why does the default keyboard lack a comma

is that just anroid lol or samsung being fucky

the default ios kb has no comma (or period). it's dumb and yet another reason swype is much better

i'm home for lunch and literally the only one in my apartment besides my cat right now and i still said "im gay" real quiet on instinct because dictating poo poo is so fuckin' obnoxious

also i don't want my cat to think i'm an idiot :ohdear:

step out of the closet and be proud of your idiocy. yospos is a safe space for our kind

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

do jokes about streaming and "not buying just renting" work for wine or do i need to wait for netflix for beer?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i call that stuff "back to the future" wine cause you drink it and it's like

*sip*

BIFF! tannins

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i sure am glad mother's little helper pills have been replaced by the somehow socially acceptable "day-drinking an entire bottle of wine"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought wine was one of the things millenials were killing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i sure am glad mother's little helper pills have been replaced by the somehow socially acceptable "day-drinking an entire bottle of wine"

what a drag it is getting cirrhosis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't read the article. Is that actually some kind of new way of acquiring wine or is it just a booze delivery service like we've had for years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wine subscriptions, but for millennials, how novel!

this ain't your parents' wine club!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its like snackbox subscriptions but for wine I'm guessing