Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I turn avatars off so I can bitch in the it threads about work while at work :v:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

I turn avatars off so I can bitch in the it threads about work

This is what I did at my previous job. This place is much laxer, so I turned them back on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I manage the web filter at my job so I just white list whatever I need.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If I turned avatars off I would hardly remember other posters.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sickening posted:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

yep.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Trump Lover is a prolific shitposter. I wonder what happened to Stupid Newbie.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Fool posted:

Trump Lover is a prolific shitposter. I wonder what happened to Stupid Newbie.

This is an actual problem I had for a week or so before I realised that i'm a loving idiot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It confused me for a while and I knew I was a loving idiot long before it happened.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sickening posted:

I miss you Clam Down the Old.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I miss you Clam Down the Old.

:rip:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just got my first Kubernetes thing PR merged recently. (do not dox)

Pretty proud of myself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Speaking of turning off avatars, how do you do it? I've had a five minute look and can't figure it how so I assume i'm an idiot.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

dogstile posted:

Speaking of turning off avatars, how do you do it? I've had a five minute look and can't figure it how so I assume i'm an idiot.

User Control Panel / Edit Options

In there somewhere.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

User control panel/edit options

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh man, I had this thing happen, and I don't get it.

I had an interview last week with a trading firm, and the internal recruiter said if they invite me to lunch, good job you're in. Okay great. I head in at 9am and I get interviewed by 4 people for 3 hours, then 2 other people invite me to lunch so I'm like sweet I have this.

While at lunch, it is not technical at all, just a "ask me about ____" from employees. We're talking shop and they ask where I'm from, and I mention I'm originally from Philly. One guy asks if I'm an Eagles fan and I say yes. He says "Oh man, you should NOT (his emphasis) have told me that"

Lunch ends, we head back to the office, 5 minutes later I get asked to leave and I won't be offered the job.

I really hope that wasn't the issue and that it had something to do with messing up a few BGP questions or something, because that would be horse poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do you really want to work with somebody who would have a problem with your sports affiliation?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Of course not. But I should have known not to say yes, he was wearing a Giants shirt.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
“Actually I should have told you that because now I know I am not gonna work with an idiot pissbaby

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

Of course not. But I should have known not to say yes, he was wearing a Giants shirt.

It'll be a sad day, if you can't connect be honest anymore. It sucks, but it sounds like a bullet dodged?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Love this email a friend got from someone at his old employer.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I love how they soften the blow with all those buzzwords.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my new least favourite buzzword is "levelset"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Now that you mention it, that's a lot of anime avatars. Doc got Haruhi so clearly winning so far here.

Content: Nobody should be allowed to run a version of ESXi old enough to need me to download and install the VIB for the loving web console.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sepist posted:

I had an interview last week with a trading firm, and the internal recruiter said if they invite me to lunch, good job you're in. Okay great. I head in at 9am and I get interviewed by 4 people for 3 hours, then 2 other people invite me to lunch so I'm like sweet I have this.

While at lunch, it is not technical at all, just a "ask me about ____" from employees. We're talking shop and they ask where I'm from, and I mention I'm originally from Philly. One guy asks if I'm an Eagles fan and I say yes. He says "Oh man, you should NOT (his emphasis) have told me that"

Lunch ends, we head back to the office, 5 minutes later I get asked to leave and I won't be offered the job.

I really hope that wasn't the issue and that it had something to do with messing up a few BGP questions or something, because that would be horse poo poo.

I think you dodged a bullet, because now you don't have to talk about the Yankees and Giants nonstop with this guy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's so outrageous that I'm not even sure I would have of that as being an issue, even in my wildest dreams.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that isn't why you didn't get the job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I really want to believe that it was a technical reason and not because I'm an Eagles fan, I would be more okay with that. I would have definitely believed it if the recruiter hadn't mentioned it was a done deal if I was invited out to lunch.

Edit: And to add to that I had a similar interview this week sans the Eagles talk and they just offered me the job so maybe it's not my tech :yotj:

Sepist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vargatron posted:

I love how they soften the blow with all those buzzwords.

Gosh, I wonder how often the “we have reviewed the market and discovered that out compensation and benefits are below market average, so here is more money and better benefits” emails go out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sepist posted:

I really want to believe that it was a technical reason and not because I'm an Eagles fan

If it was, you don't want to work with those dipshits

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi goons. I'm 31 and have been a chef for the last 10 years, but looking for a career change. Before I for into cooking I was always a bit of a computer geek so I am looking to go back to school for i.t.(from what I've been reading you don't necessarily have to but I want to anyway).

I'm stuck at my current place until the end of summer, still cheffing and and working awful hours. Then I plan to get some lovely 9-5 answering phones or something so I can focus my energy into learning/school.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice to help me get started to land a basic help desk i.t. job?

Over the next few months I want to study get a comptia a+ certification because it looks like i can balance both/doesnt seem too intense
Do you guys think this is a good idea? Anything else I should do to get myself ready?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

cods posted:

Hi goons. I'm 31 and have been a chef for the last 10 years, but looking for a career change. Before I for into cooking I was always a bit of a computer geek so I am looking to go back to school for i.t.(from what I've been reading you don't necessarily have to but I want to anyway).

I'm stuck at my current place until the end of summer, still cheffing and and working awful hours. Then I plan to get some lovely 9-5 answering phones or something so I can focus my energy into learning/school.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice to help me get started to land a basic help desk i.t. job?

Over the next few months I want to study get a comptia a+ certification because it looks like i can balance both/doesnt seem too intense
Do you guys think this is a good idea? Anything else I should do to get myself ready?

Don't go back to school for an entry level IT job four years from now. Get some certs and find a help desk job and go from there. You're not too old, your past experience doesn't impact your ability to work, and people make career changes all the time. I think I covered all the answers you'll get.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

I mean, the joke's on him in that case, really (I too am a Giants fan :negative:)

But for real gently caress that poo poo. Our CTO is from Philly and we razz each other about it all the time, that's half the fun of even knowing about people's interests.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

cods posted:

Hi buddy, I did the same thing at 29 except it was a lovely retail job instead of a chef. I went the networking route, studied for the CCNA and got a job at a NOC and now I'm a network security engineer a couple of years later. I hear A+ is fine for helping differentiate yourself from the pack for entry level IT jobs. Net+ or especially the CCNA will help too. CCNA is harder, but it's commensurately better respected. What area do you live in? If you're in a moderately large city you'll probably have a much easier time than if you're in rural bumfuck nowhere, of course.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

This is a lot like my experience with AdMeld back in 2008 TBH, minus the sports specifics

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

rafikki posted:

Hi buddy, I did the same thing at 29 except it was a lovely retail job instead of a chef. I went the networking route, studied for the CCNA and got a job at a NOC and now I'm a network security engineer a couple of years later. I hear A+ is fine for helping differentiate yourself from the pack for entry level IT jobs. Net+ or especially the CCNA will help too. CCNA is harder, but it's commensurately better respected. What area do you live in? If you're in a moderately large city you'll probably have a much easier time than if you're in rural bumfuck nowhere, of course.

I just moved to L.A. so I think the pool here is pretty good. I will def. Look into those certs.

Where can I find a list of the different "areas" if i.t.? Why did you choose networking specifically?

cods fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 20, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I chose security because I want a front row seat to the entire industry burning down

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I chose security because I want a front row seat to the entire industry burning down

Yes. At my place I’m captain of the boat “USS I TOLD YOU SO”.

I grab what satisfaction I can.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I chose to pursue networking because I found the idea of doing that sort of thing more appealing than my notions of what sysadminning would be like. Of course, I knew poo poo all about what either would really be like, but it's worked out well enough. I still find it interesting, but reading these threads and seeing what more sysadmin type people do also sounds like it some of it could be cool to work on, too. All IT work will suck in different ways, just pick something that sounds interesting and go from there. Your first help desk job isn't going to lock you into anything. If you're lucky, you'll get exposed to a variety of things and be able to figure out what you want to keep working on from there.