Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
that'd be silly! my plan is to construct a full body puppet suit based on my cartoon dinosaur character "Mongo" and wander the streets of an urban center, in-character, and offer no advertising for my comic or anything else I might be doing

thats him in the back. what would happen if you met him in real life? you'd go insane and think it was real i hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

My advice to you is to imitate Hergé - a cliffhanger on every page.

Paranatural's pretty good about this, so maybe that is the secret to holding interest in spite of a spotty update schedule.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Paranatural updates so often and every update has so much going on that it can be a day or two late, regularity is more of a concern if you're posting like once or twice a week and there's enough space for people to forget about you if you miss one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Paranatural updates so often and every update has so much going on that it can be a day or two late, regularity is more of a concern if you're posting like once or twice a week and there's enough space for people to forget about you if you miss one

Again, that’s the thing that boggles my mind and is starting to burn me out on Paranatural. So much happens on each page... yet nothing really seems to happen in the comic. I think like the last year of Paranatural in updates has covered the span of about ten minutes in real time.

In other news: Monster Pulse ends its most harrowing chapter yet on a hard-earned happy note. The next chapter also marks the start of the final arc of the comic, which Magnolia estimates will take about a year to a year and a half to wrap up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it could severely do with an editor, yes. Zack's a pretty good writer but it's clear if he has an actual overarching plan for the story he doesn't stick to it. Being able to stay on track and not get distracted by whatever shiny B-plot catches their interest is a rare comics talent, luckily for webcomicers doesn't seem particularly vital to maintaining a recurring reader pool cause all the most popular ones are meandering as gently caress

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 16, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bongo Bill posted:

My advice to you is to imitate Hergé - a cliffhanger on every page.

I think 20th Century Boys ended every single chapter with a cliffhanger, to the point where it was ridiculous.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it could severely do with an editor, yes. Zack's a pretty good writer but it's clear if he has an actual overarching plan for the story he doesn't stick to it. Being able to stay on track and not get distracted by whatever shiny B-plot catches their interest is a rare comics talent, luckily for webcomicers doesn't seem particularly vital to maintaining a recurring reader pool cause all the most popular ones are meandering as gently caress
gunnerkrigg is driving me crazy too, friend

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

FunkyAl posted:

that'd be silly! my plan is to construct a full body puppet suit based on my cartoon dinosaur character "Mongo" and wander the streets of an urban center, in-character, and offer no advertising for my comic or anything else I might be doing

thats him in the back. what would happen if you met him in real life? you'd go insane and think it was real i hope
definitely

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Samuringa posted:

I think 20th Century Boys ended every single chapter with a cliffhanger, to the point where it was ridiculous.

It worked on me. I missed a night of sleeping reading the whole thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Urasawa does this with pretty much all his works. It feels ridiculous at times but it does its job of making you feel like you must keep reading.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
my webcomic is going on eight years old now

I hired a background artist recently so at least that aspect of it can look the way I have always wanted

feels good to have a little free time at last!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the new backgrounds are very good imo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tell me about your webcomic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also gonna say that A Ghost Story has been p consistently on fire lately, idk why i haven't been hearing about it here

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Doomsday, My Dear is a webcomic that began long before the horrible reality we live in today hardly ever seemed possible and features questionable british politicians reacting to a plague outbreak with opportunistic gusto and their victims.

e: the new backgrounds makes the comic have the aesthetic feel of a retro cel animated cartoon in a really good way.

Tollymain posted:

also gonna say that A Ghost Story has been p consistently on fire lately, idk why i haven't been hearing about it here

thanks, i was going to post here when this chapter ended and then try to shill myself extensively and shamelessly

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun hater posted:

thanks, i was going to post here when this chapter ended and then try to shill myself extensively and shamelessly

i shill ur comic to my roommate constantly

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i shill ur comic to my roommate constantly

i was wondering who my other reader was

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

fun hater posted:

Doomsday, My Dear is a webcomic that began long before the horrible reality we live in today hardly ever seemed possible and features questionable british politicians reacting to a plague outbreak with opportunistic gusto and their victims.

e: the new backgrounds makes the comic have the aesthetic feel of a retro cel animated cartoon in a really good way.

Yours is a webcomic that deserves to be shilled. Anyone who hasn’t checked it out yet absolutely should.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they haven't read it yet >: (

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm feeling very attacked right now

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yours is a webcomic that deserves to be shilled. Anyone who hasn’t checked it out yet absolutely should.

aw thank you random rear end in a top hat

I posted it on here in the very early days when I only had 15 pages and it has had a fairly low (or quiet) readership ever since, and after several years of trying to shill it myself with limited results, I decided to just let fate do its thing and I'll keep doing mine. It's worked out though, Doomsday is now my Fun Hobby instead of my Path to Getting Discovered so I'm just happy it's there and that some people like it :v:

(and thx bea)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'll be honest, I stopped reading your comic because I really was beginning to dislike the protagonists. Was some time around the drowned ghost thing, so awhile ago I think. I'll give it another try in the future though!

Edit: uh, ghost hunter one

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 18, 2018

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Just want to say, this thread finally convinced me to ditch Tumblr and get my own hosting for my comic.

Already looks better (I'll still keep the tumblr site as a mirror, since I already queued up months worth of pages in advance).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Chapters in comics make sense if you're planning out some eventual publication and want there to be consistent stopping points for physical readers. They can be a very useful pacing method if you're committed to keeping them all around the same size, too. But doing that requires having solid plans in place for each page of your comic for a long time and that's not a common thing with webcomics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/pokeythepenguin/status/965245851189829632

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
YES

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the current Scary Go Round arc is about setting up the characters for Bad Machinery: The New Generation, then we can see today that Georgia is a good judge of character.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Linton finally got some extra characterisation and it's hilarious.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in gunnerkrigg: oh no, who could possibly have foreseen this!

it's a really good page, though. siddell always goes all out for splash pages

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
there's a pretty bitchin drawing of a wolf biting a neck in today's gunnerkrigg court

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

If the current Scary Go Round arc is about setting up the characters for Bad Machinery: The New Generation, then we can see today that Georgia is a good judge of character.
Yeah, I'm digging Teen Bo$$. She might be my favourite of this bunch.

Android Blues posted:

Linton finally got some extra characterisation and it's hilarious.
Also it fits him perfectly, somehow.

I like the detail of the plaster on his finger. I wonder if that video was the first take.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tollymain posted:

today in gunnerkrigg: oh no, who could possibly have foreseen this!
no mods, no masters

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Linton is getting bullied so hard and I love it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone else read Stand Still Stay Silent? I just stumbled across it and am liking it quite a lot.

Definitely my favorite post apocyptic zombie comic I have found, all the better because it doesnt have any zombies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyone else read Stand Still Stay Silent? I just stumbled across it and am liking it quite a lot.

Definitely my favorite post apocyptic zombie comic I have found, all the better because it doesnt have any zombies

It does the best thing you can with zombies and other horrors: acknowledge they're there, show them on occasion, but keep them off screen as much as possible.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

iospace posted:

It does the best thing you can with zombies and other horrors: acknowledge they're there, show them on occasion, but keep them off screen as much as possible.

i thought the best thing you can do with zombies and other horrors is chase them around an abandoned castle with a giant butterfly net

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FunkyAl posted:

i thought the best thing you can do with zombies and other horrors is chase them around an abandoned castle with a giant butterfly net

I'm goign to see more evidence than just text.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HMS Beagle posted:

Linton is getting bullied so hard and I love it.

:agreed:

I approve of Georgia's take-charge attitude.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

FunkyAl posted:

So you have played Bloodborne then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy dove
Feb 21, 2018

by Lowtax