Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lord Hydronium posted:

For some reason, of all the great little details, the HOLLYWEIRD sign is cracking me up the most.

I love "Cosplay Options" being dumped into the trash.

Edit for a new page:

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Even Jesus' brother flat out said thoughts and prayers are useless:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Clark Can't is pretty good.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ularg posted:

I love "Cosplay Options" being dumped into the trash.

Edit for a new page:

Everybody should post it on twitter tagged as #comicsgate. :getin:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

"TAKING OFF"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/TommySiegel/status/965956192425201664

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

This was a literal actual-factual lament I heard from someone telling me Last Jedi was bad.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Just quoting this for the new page because holy poo poo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Pants Donkey posted:

Must have gun. Must have gun. MUST HAVE GUN!

Licensing, Regulation of Designs, and Liability Insurance?

I'M ALL IN.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

I like the tacit acknowledgement that even Kelly thinks blackface cosplay is a bridge too far.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Panty Saluter posted:

Even Jesus' brother flat out said thoughts and prayers are useless:

Isn't this antithetical to protestant/evangelical ideas, though? the "good works" part eventually became corrupted into "give the church a shitload of money to get into heaven." which lead to the reformation, and thus most protestant sects believe that faith is the only requirement to get into heaven.

Most Republicans are WASPs and evangelicals, so "thoughts and prayers" makes perfect sense to them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lord Hydronium posted:

For some reason, of all the great little details, the HOLLYWEIRD sign is cracking me up the most.

It's the way it's drawn for me, the ierd part doesn't match the rest of the sign so it looks like some poor photoshop.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

HootTheOwl posted:

This was a literal actual-factual lament I heard from someone telling me Last Jedi was bad.

That's always annoying to hear. There are a lot of reasons Last Jedi was bad, but "features prominent women and minorities" is not one of them.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Retromancer posted:

Isn't this antithetical to protestant/evangelical ideas, though? the "good works" part eventually became corrupted into "give the church a shitload of money to get into heaven." which lead to the reformation, and thus most protestant sects believe that faith is the only requirement to get into heaven.

Most Republicans are WASPs and evangelicals, so "thoughts and prayers" makes perfect sense to them.

Well that's just ignoring the faith part then - so just as wrong as faith without works. Sounds about right that many people would deliberately get such a simple concept so tragically wrong

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Retromancer posted:

Again, only can speak of my Baptist upraising, but yes faith is the only way in. But with true faith will come good works because if ya truly believe it then y'all live it.

Or you won't and will just pull out your religion as a cudgel when needed but I'm undeniably bitter about the church so don't listen to me.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Payne knows LeBron James happens to be pretty good at IMPEACH TRUMP! basketball, right?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Retromancer posted:

Fred Clark can explain this better than I (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2009/06/12/tf-skip-verse-10/), but the short answer is that faith and works is a chicken and egg situation. Some Catholics would say that good works are necessary to impress God enough to get saved. Calvin and other Reformers said that’s foolish, since nothing you do could ever be good enough for God, so just have faith that he loves you enough to save you. HOWEVER, if you are saved then you should show gratitude by doing good in the world. If you claim to be saved but are still acting like a dick, you might be fooling yourself into thinking you’ve been saved.

The question, then, is does salvation lead to doing good or does doing good lead to salvation? It can be a fun intellectual debate, but whichever side you’re on, you should still conclude that the people doing good are the ones who are saved. The danger comes when you think faith is a substitute for good works rather than a complement to them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought this was Assad for a moment.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May’s tuition fee plans – Theresa May is to press ahead with attempts to force universities to charge less for some courses based on their costs and potential graduate earnings"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

David Davis: Brexit will not plunge Britain into 'Mad Max dystopia'

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I am disgusted that it is taking literal teens to get rallies going and poo poo moving because they rightly feel that us older generations have let them down again and again. These people not even old enough to drink yet are having to take responsibility in addressing the problem cause we have failed so far.

gently caress you McCoy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Oh, this one is getting a nom for “worst cartoon about a tragedy.” Juxtaposing a dozen plus dead kids with this goofy joke is enraging.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Heh, dumb teenagers don't want to get shot to death. Kids, am I right? :smug:

Guns are a red flag, you say :thunk:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Retromancer posted:

Of course modern Evangelicals define faith as "donate enough money so the Pastor can buy a third yacht" so it's kind of a wash on that end as well.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

No, go ahead and label them fucker- what are the other four flags?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tibalt posted:

I think you are all missing a fundamental point - for McCoy, "thoughts and prayers" isn't viewed with intense mockery and cynicism, the very definition of empty words. Instead, it's a comforting act that heals the wounds of this contextless tragedy.

It's literally responding to the sentiment of " gently caress your thoughts and prayers" with " oh, so you liberals hate prayer now? Right as you try to politicize this tragedy, you godless elites!"

Edit: to rephrase this, to McCoy calling thoughts and prayers "empty rhetoric" is so ridiculous that he treated it as a joke.
BING
LOL! Kids these days amirite?? Always "Can I stay up late?" "Can I go to the mall with friends?" "Can we take even a tiny step in the right direction so I don't have to fear for my life every time I go to school?" and "Can I get a tattoo?" Whatrugunnado?
"Violent video games make savage killers" *does not play violent video games and draws a comic in which a person who DOES play violent video games protests in support of saving lives and is the bad guy*
Weird that he made the "Loves Trump" and "MAGA hat*" flags face away from the camera.

*LITERALLY A RED FLAG

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

World Famous W posted:

I am disgusted that it is taking literal teens to get rallies going and poo poo moving because they rightly feel that us older generations have let them down again and again. These people not even old enough to drink yet are having to take responsibility in addressing the problem cause we have failed so far.

gently caress you McCoy.

"But it's a mental health issue!" they cry time and time again. And time and time again no one proposes that we stop stigmatizing mental health care, or eases access to it in any way. Or, Heaven forfend, implement a background check that disallows people with a history of violent machinations (or a criminal record, FFS) to buy guns.

I mean, DUH it's a mental health issue. You don't waltz into a school and blast dozens of people at random because you're in a good headspace. How that refrain is used to excuse total inaction is loving baffling

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Trazz posted:

Imagine if guns were half as regulated as that 4x4 truck.

Imagine if tens of millions of people left their homes every day and shot their guns in narrow corridors in close proximity to everyone else.

It'd be neat to get a good estimate of how many people shoot guns in a day (for legit and non-legit reasons) and scale that up to how many people drive in a day to shut down the stupid car counterexample once and for all.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Jagged Jim posted:

Of course modern Evangelicals define faith as "donate enough money so the Pastor can buy a third yacht" so it's kind of a wash on that end as well.

It's almost as if... being answerable to no one but your god (who only you can hear inside your head) lends itself to corruption!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
On Gary McCoy/guns, I just noticed this one from 2010:

I guess gun violence is just inevitable! :shrug:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

But why would evil Democrats want only control of good innocent Americans? What does pure control over people's lives do for them? Just give them a happy feeling?

Your neighborhood doesn't have an HOA, does it?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dumb, childish, emotionally immature teenagers, how DARE THEY TRY TO TAKE AWAY MY ROOTY TOOTY POINT AND SHOOTY PEW PEW

e: I mean Jesus the framing of this cartoon. Literal child: I don't want to die. His mother: gently caress off, kid.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
rrraaggghhghhh holy poo poo i just blew a gasket irl over half-cocked MAGA hats with their dicks up a gun barrel acting like these kids standing up for the right not to be murdered by weapons designed for murder are at best infantile and at worst puppets of the evil fascistic Democrats using them to push their anti-gun agenda.

These assholes need the swiftest, hardest kick in the balls a human can muster, I'm so loving done with their bullshit. Not even dead kids can move the needle. These people don't deserve love.

gently caress.

gently caress

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm the gun labeled GUN BAN.

Also it's really weird for Beeler to act like a guardian of Republican ideological purity. He's been critical of the GOP party line before, much more so than Kasich, and maybe I'm just blinded by my own ideology but those seem like really bad issues to hang your hat on right now.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

I almost feel bad for most of your run of the mill Republicans who don't get to appreciate satire. You know, because they either don't get it or they do and realize it's most likely insulting them in some way. They've been limited to conservative "comedy" for so long and I almost feel like it's akin to depriving a child candy their whole life or something idk.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Please do ban violent video games, it'd be fun to see all the big video game studio emigrate to Europe.

And when mass murders continue with depressing regularity despite Team Fortress and Call of Duty being banned in the USA, what's the next thing you're going to ban? Movies? Music? Books? By all mean, go ahead and ban all forms of entertainment other than shooting real, actual guns at real, actual people, that will solve the problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sandpuppy posted:

Payne knows LeBron James happens to be pretty good at IMPEACH TRUMP! basketball, right?
Lebron James dunked on trump I see.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

If Branco wanted to do a relvant take on this, he should have made it "the virgin Nixon and the Chad Bureau of Investigation".

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
So does Glenn REALLY think it's "violent video games" to blame here? Or is that solely to go Yeah, yeah, sure Junior. You know soooo much about how the real world works, I'll be sure to listen to your wise words and ban guns. I'm sure that will solve the problem! :smug:

Just... god. "VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES!" It's like we're really back to 1999! Maybe we can get some old early 2000's "two college aged dudes on a couch playing video games" webcomics to talk about Jack Thompson again! :shepface:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Violent video games, FBI incompetence, blame anything but the guns.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

duz posted:

You should've seen peak goonism when Perry Bible Fellowship was regularly updating.

I'm still proud of making the thread title about 10 years ago with "WE GO ENDLESSLY DEBATE MEANING OF HOOP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Another cartoon I agree with unironically. That mom looks ridiculous!