Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Capcom has proven that they give less than a poo poo about Megaman, and the fact that they're not showing anything about the game is a good indicator that it's not going to be good and they know it.

There's a medium between trying to avoid building unrealistic expectations with too much hype and maintaining radio silence because you know a project is going badly.

yes, remember how great mighty number 9 was? it sure was awesome, like we knew it would be, from all the pre-release content shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"they announced a game that they're working on that was clearly still early in development and haven't shown anything else in the next month, this game is going to suck rear end" ~ a screaming idiot post

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"they had an hour-long stream to announce this game they're working on where developers for the game gave smart interviews discussing the design decisions and development risks they wanted to tackle, they clearly don't care about the game and it's going to be poo poo" ~ a screaming idiot post

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well supposedly the X series is gonna be split up into two collections. So hopefully the first collection is X1-X4 and the second is X5-X8 so you can just buy the first one and never have to get the second ever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well supposedly the X series is gonna be split up into two collections. So hopefully the first collection is X1-X4 and the second is X5-X8 so you can just buy the first one and never have to get the second ever
They're going to have to bundle the second half in or else nobody is going to play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy the second half because I've never played 5-7 and want to experience 7 in all its glory myself

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m excited for that collection on Switch since I’ve never beaten any of the MM games after 3 except for 9.:)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're going to have to bundle the second half in or else nobody is going to play it.

You know what I bet they're gonna do? The first pack is going to have X1-X3 and the second will fiendishly have X4 forcing you to buy the other pack.

I hope they include the PS1\Saturn\PC version of X3 like the old X collection for PS2 and not the SNES one. X3 is easily the weakest out of the first four X games, but the 32-bit version of the game is substantially better thanks to the music and nifty anime cutscenes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah guys someone out there totally legits likes x7 :v:. Even if x5 and x8 were the decent ones I’ll still feel ripped off. Also welcome home Megaman. :unsmith: God when is the last time the game actually been on a Nintendo console (not handheld)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm gonna buy the second collection because X7 is the only one I don't like.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Nah guys someone out there totally legits likes x7 :v:. Even if x5 and x8 were the decent ones I’ll still feel ripped off. Also welcome home Megaman. :unsmith: God when is the last time the game actually been on a Nintendo console (not handheld)

The Switch is a handheld.

E: and that would be 9 and 10 on the Wii.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Don’t be a smartass.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have a weird and maybe creepy fascination with bad games, so I'd absolutely buy an X5-X8 collection solely to say that I suffered through X6 again and this time without save states. I have to say, however, that I actually genuinely like playing X6 more than X5 and X7. While X5 isn't as objectively terrible as X6 with its numerous glitches, blatantly unfair level design and sometimes literally impossible situations it puts you in, I think it's murderously boring and has the one stage which I hate more than anything in any other game (the one with the Black Devil). And as bad as X6 is, it's somehow still a masterpiece compared to whatever the hell X7 is.

X8 would be fine if it had levels instead of gimmicks, but you can't win them all I guess.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

food court bailiff posted:

yes, remember how great mighty number 9 was? it sure was awesome, like we knew it would be, from all the pre-release content shown.

So did you even read the post you quoted or what

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

So did you even read the post you quoted or what

you know, your username shows up every time you post, you don't need to emphasize it with the things you write in those posts as well. or are you seriously implying that the problem with MN9 is that it was overhyped, and not that it is a steaming pile of garbage poo poo?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Shindragon posted:

It's me.

I hated X7 with the burning fiery passion of a thousand suns, and then I started speedrunning it. It is so much more fun now. Perhaps because I'm playing the PC version that literally saves 12 minutes in load times, and don't have the godawful English voice actors, but the mechanics are so wacky that squat-canceling is a thing to make Zero waggle his saber and murder anything around him, and it's way easier to pull off than X4-6's SDC. There are so many intended mechanics in that game that are just outright skipped it's amazing.

The game is terribly awful and a riot to speedrun. I'd get the second collection for X5, even with Alia because Virus 1 is one of the best stages, X7 because that, and X8. X4 can go rot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

food court bailiff posted:

you know, your username shows up every time you post, you don't need to emphasize it with the things you write in those posts as well. or are you seriously implying that the problem with MN9 is that it was overhyped, and not that it is a steaming pile of garbage poo poo?

No, I'm saying MN9 was overhyped AS WELL AS a piece of poo poo. Capcom isn't releasing a lot of information about MM11 and, judging from its recent track record of making GBS threads on its franchises with cancellations and mediocrity, I have zero faith in their ability to put out even a halfway decent Megaman game.

Maybe I'm wrong! Maybe it'll be so good people will forget about Megaman 2 and Megaman X and will tattoo the new Robot Masters on their asscheeks. But I said MN9 would be awful, and I got the same hostility I'm receiving right now.

Also, speaking of hostility, why the gently caress are you taking to personal insults? I'm doubting a loving video game, not burning your grandmother's house down.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Oyster posted:

It's me.

I hated X7 with the burning fiery passion of a thousand suns, and then I started speedrunning it. It is so much more fun now. Perhaps because I'm playing the PC version that literally saves 12 minutes in load times, and don't have the godawful English voice actors, but the mechanics are so wacky that squat-canceling is a thing to make Zero waggle his saber and murder anything around him, and it's way easier to pull off than X4-6's SDC. There are so many intended mechanics in that game that are just outright skipped it's amazing.

The game is terribly awful and a riot to speedrun. I'd get the second collection for X5, even with Alia because Virus 1 is one of the best stages, X7 because that, and X8. X4 can go rot.

That's just the nature of speedrunning though. It makes you hate good games through the sheer repetition of playing them and then enjoy bad games because you find weird and obscure ways to have fun in them.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What we saw of MM11 had beautiful art direction and that’s enough to convince me it will not be Bad. At worst it will be decent.

So X8? I liked X8.

With so many posts today I thought they announced how the X-Collection would be split up. Instead it's another slapfight.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Andrigaar posted:

So X8? I liked X8.

With so many posts today I thought they announced how the X-Collection would be split up. Instead it's another slapfight.

I love X8. I love Axl. I love the little light bulb enemies. I love collecting crystals. I love the bonus attack rooms. I love the tag team mechanic. I love upgrades and collectibles.

I just love that dang game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, I'm saying MN9 was overhyped AS WELL AS a piece of poo poo. Capcom isn't releasing a lot of information about MM11 and, judging from its recent track record of making GBS threads on its franchises with cancellations and mediocrity, I have zero faith in their ability to put out even a halfway decent Megaman game.

I know they’re vastly different teams working on them but Capcom released both good Resident Evil and Monster Hunter sequels lately so I’ll give them some leeway and hope for the best.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nonsense, there's been plenty of promotion, please buy this bike for some reason

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/20/japan-getting-mega-man-bike-cycling-jerseys/

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Capcom has been a crashing and burning with fighting games but they did real good with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World. While they only showed a 30 second trailer or so of a game in development, the developers talked about design and seem to give the impression that they have good ideas and are enthusiastic about Megaman 11.

There's always the possibility that this game could crash and burn, but given how we've only seen a little bit, the developers gave a good impression, and how the game's still months away from release, I'm rather hopeful and looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the X collection too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dabir posted:

Consider his username

yeah all of his posts are like that

Screaming Idiot posted:

Capcom has proven that they give less than a poo poo about Megaman, and the fact that they're not showing anything about the game is a good indicator that it's not going to be good and they know it.

There's a medium between trying to avoid building unrealistic expectations with too much hype and maintaining radio silence because you know a project is going badly.

lots of video game companies have been doing this lately because last gen had a ton of games that made too many promises out of the gate and ended up crashing and burning. I've seen this exact same post made on countless forums for countless games that ended up being perfectly good/great. don't be an impatient baby

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 20, 2018

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
My dark horse theory with the X collections is that they’ll make the first collection X1-6 to equal the first legacy collection for the classic series, and then make the 2nd collection 7, 8, and Command Mission as a surprise announcement.

I’m basing this off of pretty much nothing but trying to divide up X6 and X7 in a sensible way to make people buy both. Oh and they included the Command Mission outfit in MvC so they remember that game exists!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really like X4 because it finally gave us playable Zero and he controls like smooth silk. I do wonder if the Legacy Collection will re-dub the voice acting in X4. It's loveably cheesy, but it sure stinks with age. :v:

X5 was a mixed bag for me, though I think it does more good things than bad. I hope the collection will re-tweak a few things though, like re-balance the damage done by enemies in the end game. Also make it so that you can get power-up parts from the start instead of forcing you to waste the remaining time in-game.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I love X8. I love Axl. I love the little light bulb enemies. I love collecting crystals. I love the bonus attack rooms. I love the tag team mechanic. I love upgrades and collectibles.

I just love that dang game.

:hai:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Mega Man 11 looks fine from the 30 sec clip we've seen

If you're gonna rant about how it's gonna be poo poo, hey that's fine. What specifically looks terrible about it to you?

I'm pretty cynical and have been burned by capcom too many times, yet thought that the Mega Man 11 footage looked surprisingly decent. Exactly what I would expect a classic Megaman game in 2.5d to run and look like.

Not a guarantee that it will be good for sure but it certainly looks like Mega Man. I think it's gonna be fine

I'm calling it now, it's gonna make inafune look like a pretentious, cash-grabbing rear end in a top hat

The Mega Man formula isn't exactly innovative or hard to pin down anyways, asking a developer to make a competent mega man is not exactly a tall order...

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to like things. I'll never make that mistake again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm the dummy that liked Command Mission and wished the other PCs got literally anything after that game

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm the dummy that liked Command Mission and wished the other PCs got literally anything after that game

R.I.P Massimo, you were too huge for this world.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Stink Terios posted:

That's just the nature of speedrunning though. It makes you hate good games through the sheer repetition of playing them and then enjoy bad games because you find weird and obscure ways to have fun in them.

This is extremely true. There aren't many people who run it, and last Triple M I was hating on it to one of the people who actually runs it, and he started talking about how fun it is. I thought he was crazy, but after picking it up myself, he was right. Still, that's a perspective I wouldn't have without speedrunning it.

amigolupus posted:

I really like X4 because it finally gave us playable Zero and he controls like smooth silk. I do wonder if the Legacy Collection will re-dub the voice acting in X4. It's loveably cheesy, but it sure stinks with age. :v:

X5 was a mixed bag for me, though I think it does more good things than bad. I hope the collection will re-tweak a few things though, like re-balance the damage done by enemies in the end game. Also make it so that you can get power-up parts from the start instead of forcing you to waste the remaining time in-game.

Zero just felt incomplete in X4, where in X5 all of his abilities were useful and had a clear weakness chain, as opposed to "here's a double jump" and "turns the saber purple" and "oh hey we forgot air dash" "whelp we need weaknesses make the fake shoryuken work on everything". X4 was dumb. The cheesiness was one of the near redeeming factors.

X5 definitely had issues with the parts system requiring suicides at the beginning and Alia interrupting everything, along with the extreme randomness required to make the Enigma destroy Eurasia. The Virus stages were some of my favorite stages in the series though, along with with the callback bosses.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I wanted to like X4, but yeah, Zero's weapon upgrades felt wonky in that game. And my biggest beef with it was that the fortress stages were an absolute letdown. Spaceport was alright with a good refight/fight with Colonel, though the stage was a little short iirc. But then you get to Final Weapon 1 and it's a complete mess, level design-wise. After a crappy short hallway, you fight Iris/Double, then you get a really short two path bit before dumping you straight into the General fight in the exact same stage.

And Final Weapon 2 is just a joke with starting immediately with refights before going straight into the sigma fights. The first form is stupidly easy to beat, and the final form of Sigma is just really bad.

X5 may have plenty of flaws, without a doubt, but it's overall still better in my eyes across all the stages compared to X4 entirely dropping the ball once you beat the 8 main stages.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Why would they split the collection? Just wringing as much money as they can? It's not like people are going to run out of disk space downloading all these games.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

XavierGenisi posted:

Capcom has been a crashing and burning with fighting games but they did real good with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World. While they only showed a 30 second trailer or so of a game in development, the developers talked about design and seem to give the impression that they have good ideas and are enthusiastic about Megaman 11.

There's always the possibility that this game could crash and burn, but given how we've only seen a little bit, the developers gave a good impression, and how the game's still months away from release, I'm rather hopeful and looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the X collection too.

Inafune and company seemed really enthusiastic about MN9 as well, and the developers gave a really good impression of it too.

I want to see more gameplay videos of MM11, more concept art, something that could change my mind. I don't want to hate MM11, I don't want to dread it like the deadline to a lovely project, I want to be excited, but considering just how inept Capcom has become and just how bad literally everything related to Megaman is nowadays I can't summon the willpower.

I loving loved Megaman as a kid. :smith:

KingSlime posted:

The Mega Man formula isn't exactly innovative or hard to pin down anyways, asking a developer to make a competent mega man is not exactly a tall order...

Then why hasn't it been done yet?

I've played every Megaman-like game I could get my hands on, and the only one that even almost sort of gets it is Shovel Knight, and even then it's not perfect. For gently caress's sake, Inticreates -- dudes who made reasonably playable MM games in the past -- couldn't even pinch out a reasonably decent MM-clone on their own. Is it a system so simple that nobody can copy it without adding a gimmick to keep it from being complete plagiarism which ends up ruining it?

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 21, 2018

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Capcom hasn't done anything Megaman related in *years* aside from the good Legacy Collections and some garbage mobile ports. And I agree, I'd love to see more out of it, but I also think it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too soon to immediately go to "extreme dread and loathing" when all we got was that announcement stream and an article in Game Informer, and it's only been like, about two and half months?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Why would they split the collection? Just wringing as much money as they can? It's not like people are going to run out of disk space downloading all these games.

For some reason LC2 is apparently 5-6GB it is also the one you have to download if you get LC1+2 at retail on Switch.

Oyster posted:

It's me.

Got any videos?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yes, it's so they can charge more - or more accurately, so they can charge a price that'll compensate them for the actual expense of porting eight games.

It's also more efficient to offer multiple lower-priced compilations with the option of buying an all-in-one later down the line - regardless of the value or quantity of the collection, a lot of people simply aren't going to pay over $x for a retro collection but they will buy a modest collection for a low amount, so splitting them up is another way to maximise sales.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KingSlime posted:

I'm not certain how true this actually is. There are several dozen Mega Man-like indie games and most of them aren't that good. Even many of the official Mega Man games are only merely competent, and a few aren't even that.

The Mega Man formula might not be innovative, but it is extremely tight. When you have only 12 stages (usually) you can't really get away with having two or three "bad levels," level design has to be as near to top notch throughout. Each of the robot master fights has to be very finely tuned in challenge. Each of the weapons has to be useful--but not too useful!

Now it may be that most of the indie developers just didn't have the experience to pull it off, and most of the bad official games can be blamed by certain unnecessary constraints that were imposed on them, but that still leads me to believe "making a competent mega man" is actually a difficult task that takes certain expertise and resources to pull off.

This isn't to say that I don't think Mega Man 11 will be a good game. I think it will.

But I won't blame anyone for not believing the hype.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hmm I wonder if perhaps there is some way a person could "not believe the hype" without kramering into the thread saying "Megaman 11 is going to be a garbagefire and they know it" every few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was disappointed by all of the various ports of MM8 being the PSX version and not the Saturn version. I wasn't surprised in the slightest, but I was definitely disappointed. I had a chance to play through the Saturn version and the little improvements in that meant a lot to me.