Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

+1 to whoever posted Please Hate These Things earlier in the thread. This stuff is so, so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

But why?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess what I want to do here is just start playing with what kind of setup my "dream home" would have. I did some poking at a whiteboard yesterday, and it turns out that coming up with floorplans is harder than I thought! The idea would theoretically be to come up with something I like, then hand that to an architect and say "okay, now make it not suck horribly" (in terms of safety, ease/cost of building, pointing out design issues I didn't notice, etc.).

I don't know how realistic all that is; I feel like much of how well a house works depends on the land it's built on, and I don't have any land aside from the tiny plot my current house is on. For example, I'd like to have a room with lots of windows to take advantage of a view, but that presupposes land with a view, which implies a hill, and who knows how the house, hill, and road are oriented with respect to each other...

HycoCam: given those goals, it sounds like TurboFloorPlan is worth checking out. They have like a dozen different versions with different prices though, any reason I shouldn't just grab the $50 "deluxe" version instead of the ones that cost $100+?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That would make sense if it were like super valuable antique inherited furniture and you wanted it to appear sort of normal but you also wanted to make sure nobody thought it was, like, usable furniture

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Put a glass enclosure there with a door, pipe 50% RH air in, and it'd be a great place for a few nice guitars.

... no, I still don't understand it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Oh my god, there's actually an interior design thread. Maybe you guys can help me with my set up in this apartment bedroom.

Currently I'm working with this:

EDIT: Door labels are direction they open. From top right working clockwise: Bathroom, Closet, Exit, Exterior Porch.
(the cushion represents a cat tree, the blue bits are doors and how they open, this software was not optimal)
The desk of course has a chair to go with. The only window is along the left side wall and is not represented on the diagram.

Iiiiit...kinda sucks. The bed has two drawers along its length I can't currently open with the desk in the way.

My only thought is that I can rotate the bed the other direction, swap the placement of the dressers and desk, then put the nightstand and cat tree in places???

Right now the dressers are kind of a unit because I have a TV on top of them, but I could work around that or get rid of one if need be.

Thoughts?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 19, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's 3 doors into the room and one door out? Seems like quite a traffic flow bottleneck!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

There's 3 doors into the room and one door out? Seems like quite a traffic flow bottleneck!

That's just the direction they open, I apologize. From top right working clockwise: bathroom, closet, exit, exit to exterior porch.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Deviant posted:

My only thought is that I can rotate the bed the other direction, swap the placement of the dressers and desk, then put the nightstand and cat tree in places???

This is what I would do. The problem (a problem?) as I see it right now is the corner of the bed is too close to the dressers which will make the room feel smaller and more awkward to move through that corner. Doing the swapperoo would put larger thoroughfares about the place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bed in top-middle, desk against left wall?
Bed between bottom doors, desk and dressers on top wall?
Those doors suck, lol.

Re: CAD software and floorplans, when we started planning our house, I started by sketching out our current house, previous houses and friend's places to get a sense of adequate room size and think about my preferences and where people naturally walk and congregate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Bed in top-middle, desk against left wall?

How'd you use the desk?

peanut posted:

Bed between bottom doors, desk and dressers on top wall?

I wondered that but eff walking around the bed all the time.

peanut posted:

Those doors suck, lol.

:agreed:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

HycoCam: given those goals, it sounds like TurboFloorPlan is worth checking out. They have like a dozen different versions with different prices though, any reason I shouldn't just grab the $50 "deluxe" version instead of the ones that cost $100+?
https://www.turbocad.com/content/turbofloorplan-2017-windows-comparison-charts

The best thing about getting the least expensive version is you won't know what your missing/get frustrated by the limitations until you're exposed to a more complex CAD program.

And you touched on the biggest issue with building your dream house--the land it is built on. Flat lots versus sloped lots, building norms, and south facing (if you are in the Northern hemisphere) are all going to be factors when it comes to the final design. But to get started--the $50 version will work great. Might want to grab SketchUp and tinker with it for an evening or two. Not sure if SketchUp has changed in the years since I played around with it, but figuring out pushing and pulling, getting dimensions right, looking at renders--all of that stuff were not intuitive for me. Versus TurboCad which has you looking at your design in an hour or two. Understand though for $50 and easy to use, the trade off is not having (m)any of the more complex CAD options.

But for communicating what you want to an architect--tough to beat the $50 or even the $100/$150 versions. Time is money and you'll spend a lot less time consulting with your architect to get the exact plans you want for a custom home. Also will allow builders to give you a quick back of the napkin price range to keep you from going too far into dreamland.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Deviant posted:

Oh my god, there's actually an interior design thread. Maybe you guys can help me with my set up in this apartment bedroom.

Currently I'm working with this:

Thoughts?
How many people sleep in the bed? Having the side of the bed against the wall makes changing sheets and/or the 2nd person getting into bed/having to get up in the middle of the night a PIA.

Will any of the dressers fit in the closet? Is the bathroom shared with rest of the apartment or just for the bedroom? Maybe move some of your clothes into the bathroom--stuff like underwear, PJs, and dirty clothes hampers work better than you'd expect in the bathroom.

Gone are the days of heavy TVs. Wall mounts are fairly inexpensive--although not sure how much the landlord will like you when you move out and either leave the mount or a few large mounting holes.... (Plus if your apt was built with metal studs, the mount install is a little trickier.)

e: missed the cat tree in first read through. My sister loves her wall mounted cat tree/lounge--something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Trixie-Pet-Products-Wall-Mounted-Lounging/dp/B01IK50RLI but there you got making holes in the wall again. The advantage being, if you do have metal studs, you can mount the cat tree into drywall with the right hardware.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 19, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

I think it’s actually meant for An Art statue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah you're supposed to put some classy mass produced statue or sculpture from the art store there.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

HycoCam posted:

How many people sleep in the bed? Having the side of the bed against the wall makes changing sheets and/or the 2nd person getting into bed/having to get up in the middle of the night a PIA.

Will any of the dressers fit in the closet? Is the bathroom shared with rest of the apartment or just for the bedroom? Maybe move some of your clothes into the bathroom--stuff like underwear, PJs, and dirty clothes hampers work better than you'd expect in the bathroom.

Gone are the days of heavy TVs. Wall mounts are fairly inexpensive--although not sure how much the landlord will like you when you move out and either leave the mount or a few large mounting holes.... (Plus if your apt was built with metal studs, the mount install is a little trickier.)

e: missed the cat tree in first read through. My sister loves her wall mounted cat tree/lounge--something like: https://smile.amazon.com/Trixie-Pet-Products-Wall-Mounted-Lounging/dp/B01IK50RLI but there you got making holes in the wall again. The advantage being, if you do have metal studs, you can mount the cat tree into drywall with the right hardware.

1) 1 person in the bed, occasionally 2. Insert r/incel joke here.

2) The closet is kinda tight, and as mentioned currently the two dressers do the job of TV stand. Bathroom is not shared, floor space is kind of tight for a hamper but i see your point re clothes.

I'm really hesitant to mount anything for all the reasons from initial pain in the butt to outgoing pain in the butt, but I'll give it some thought.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh duh, thanks. :downs: How'd I miss that?

Looks like most of the Pro features are for making pretty pictures; the only ones I think I'd miss in the deluxe version are "global sun positioning" and "advanced dimensioning tools"

quote:

The best thing about getting the least expensive version is you won't know what your missing/get frustrated by the limitations until you're exposed to a more complex CAD program.
I used to do a lot of 3D modeling with Blender, so I should at least be familiar with the really low-level stuff -- navigating in 3D, render options, transforms, layers, etc. I just don't want to have to do everything manually this time around the way I would with such a general-purpose program. Getting something more purpose-built to architecture sounds nice.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is that door the only access to the porch or can you block it off?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I wall mounted a TV into metal studs using Snap Toggles, it’s pretty easy. Just need a drill and a small nail, though a stud finder helps.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

peanut posted:

Is that door the only access to the porch or can you block it off?

I actually NEVER use it, so I could block it, but it felt sloppy. What are you thinking?

I should probably redraw this with the left wall window (30" from the bottom, and about 48" wide)

Or take a *gasp* photo

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 19, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My phone is bunked and I can't take close-up shots anymore but I drew a floorplan with the cat tree by the porch door (cats love windows), the bed under the window, dressers in top left and desk by the bathroom. The nightstand should probably go by the cat tree but do whatever makes sense.

Edit: both dressers on the top wall and gently caress a window, you're never going to win at 30" off the floor.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 20, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

peanut posted:

My phone is bunked and I can't take close-up shots anymore but I drew a floorplan with the cat tree by the porch door (cats love windows), the bed under the window, dressers in top left and desk by the bathroom. The nightstand should probably go by the cat tree but do whatever makes sense.

This I'd have to see, it sounds radically different than anything I'd considered so far.

This is what I'm envisioning based on what you described

Problem with this is the headboard of the bed gets in the way of the window, I still wouldn't be able to open the first bed drawer, and now i have the bed open on one side with drawers on the other.

I'll also note that the cats have a windowsill they already like to sit on, so I'm not *too* worried about that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deviant posted:

I actually NEVER use it, so I could block it, but it felt sloppy. What are you thinking?

I should probably redraw this with the left wall window (30" from the bottom, and about 48" wide)

Or take a *gasp* photo

Don't block it with heavy furniture, just in case you ever need to get out in an emergency. Firemen will be real annoyed if they break down your door and there's a dresser in the way. Cat tree or nightstand would probably be okay.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't block it with heavy furniture, just in case you ever need to get out in an emergency.

This is a good point.

Just to reiterate, this is where I'm at now.

Chair blocks the bathroom in the middle of the night. Upper wall busy/cramped. Nightstand is basically useless.

I'm looking at two concepts right now, which are basically the same. Top wall is very squished together. Nightstand basically useless. Can't open bedside drawers.

This gets the chair slightly more out of the way of the bathroom in the middle of the night, but limits access to the porch door. I also no longer have my back to the bedroom door in this setup and can see out into the living room area, which I think I prefer. Con is that the chair is close to the bed corner, and still kinda blocks the path but less so.

Better access to porch, less stuff in the way of the bedside drawers, but the chair blocks the bathroom and i don't know if I like sitting that close to an open door/bathroom/catbox (in bathroom).

Of these two options, I'm leaning towards the first one.

Edit: Something like this, maybe? Very little change from what I have now. Just attempts to address the upper wall cramping.

This gives me a lot of room for a VR setup on the computer, which is not something I have yet, but was half-considering.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bear in mind your chair won't be sticking out like that unless you're using it.

Having lived in many similar situations in the past I don't think you're going to find a good solution, they're all going to be a bit crappy because of the desk.

While we're thinking outside the box, can you move the desk to another room or replace it with something more compact or foldable? How often do you use this desk and what for? What's on it right now and could that stuff go in a drawer instead? Do you rent or own? (the room, not the desk)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Bear in mind your chair won't be sticking out like that unless you're using it.

Having lived in many similar situations in the past I don't think you're going to find a good solution, they're all going to be a bit crappy because of the desk.

While we're thinking outside the box, can you move the desk to another room or replace it with something more compact or foldable? How often do you use this desk and what for? What's on it right now and could that stuff go in a drawer instead? Do you rent or own? (the room, not the desk)

This desk is for both personal computing and work computing, since I work out of the house and probably spend 80% of the day at it. It's pretty streamlined as is, but a good horizontal work surface helps me keep stuff in order.

I think you're right that I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with one of these situations, which isn't such a huge deal. I'm going to a slightly smaller cat tree since it's due for a replacement anyway, and eliminating the nightstand since it's huge and bulky. I'll have to go from there.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone got a good place for replica DSW side chairs? I need 6 of them for my dining room and have been thinking of getting these from Rove Concepts: https://www.roveconcepts.com/rove-classics_dsw-molded-plastic-side-chair-wooden-dowel-base.html

The reviews though list complaints I had with the last set of replicas I had (the hardware falling out).

I found this place: https://gfurn.com/pages/how-to-compare-the-quality-of-eames-replica-eiffel-dsw-dsr-chair that has a great comparison, but they're selling for $35 a chair...which just seems like a bad idea.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GotLag posted:

I found something that I think belongs in this thread: https://imgur.com/gallery/tci6C

Originally posted in the Crappy Construction thread, but I think it belongs here even more.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Really puzzled on this room. This used to be our kids' playroom, and is now turning into a home office and hobby/craft room. This is also the room that usually gets an air mattress on the floor when we have visitors.
For scale, the big part of the room is about 11'x11' (excluding closet and entryway)
My objectives for this space are:
A comfortable home office, with a dedicated and practical computer desk (I work remotely)
A usable workspace for sewing.
Sufficient storage for all the equipment and materials required for sewing, and also for a bunch of board games that I presently have in a six cube Ikea Kallax/Expedit shelf that I'm outgrowing.

Nice to have:
Some other kind of seating besides 2 desk chairs, and it would be nice if that seating was something with a fold out sleeper.

So, assume that I have various shapes and sizes of the wonderful Ikea Kallax/Expedit cube storage. Also, I don't have a desk at all right now (currently using a fold out banquet table after tearing out a terrible built-in desk in the old office).
What I'm currently leaning towards for a computer desk is a medium stained Ikea Gerton top (like this internet stranger did: https://imgur.com/gallery/kEmy8) on top of a Vivo adjustable desk legs (https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Management-Adjustable-Workstation-DESK-V103E/dp/B073K1JSW7/). It's non negotiable that this is on the top wall, because I will be otherwise driven nuts by glare from the windows.

I expect for the crafting table stuff a table that is 5 feet long would be nice too. Maybe even two of them, because you can never have enough space. Should be able to support a heavy, 60 lb vibrating sewing machine steadily. I'm thinking one or two of those tops stained and treated in the same way.

Looking at all the things I want, I don't think fitting 2 desks and a sofa is going to work. Any thoughts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ouhei posted:

Anyone got a good place for replica DSW side chairs? I need 6 of them for my dining room and have been thinking of getting these from Rove Concepts: https://www.roveconcepts.com/rove-classics_dsw-molded-plastic-side-chair-wooden-dowel-base.html

The reviews though list complaints I had with the last set of replicas I had (the hardware falling out).

I found this place: https://gfurn.com/pages/how-to-compare-the-quality-of-eames-replica-eiffel-dsw-dsr-chair that has a great comparison, but they're selling for $35 a chair...which just seems like a bad idea.

Just buy the real ones on sale instead of cheap lovely knockoffs, Herman Miller runs sales at least annually. They look better and will last longer than you will.

If the real pieces are out of your price range, I’d get a set of chairs that were designed at the price point you’re looking for instead of buying cheaply-made knockoffs that will need replacing. There’s plenty of molded plastic chairs for less than $100 a chair that are designed at that price point and made well for what you pay.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Give your wife an L-shaped workspace in the bottom left corner, put the couch against the left wall, use the closet for board games.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My sewing room has two shorter width mcm dining tables, one for the machine one for cutting out. There are two bedside tables under one of them for all the accumulated sewing stuff. My sewing chair is a leather bar stool that goes up and down - tried a desk chair with no arms but it was too low. I’ve also used a long fold down trestle table for cutting out.

Trust me on this one: Resist the temptation to go long on the machine table, machine bounce is real and horrible. Nothing quite like watching your £1k quilting machine getting some sweet air.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

canyoneer posted:

Really puzzled on this room. This used to be our kids' playroom, and is now turning into a home office and hobby/craft room. This is also the room that usually gets an air mattress on the floor when we have visitors.
For scale, the big part of the room is about 11'x11' (excluding closet and entryway)
My objectives for this space are:
A comfortable home office, with a dedicated and practical computer desk (I work remotely)
A usable workspace for sewing.
Sufficient storage for all the equipment and materials required for sewing, and also for a bunch of board games that I presently have in a six cube Ikea Kallax/Expedit shelf that I'm outgrowing.

Nice to have:
Some other kind of seating besides 2 desk chairs, and it would be nice if that seating was something with a fold out sleeper.

So, assume that I have various shapes and sizes of the wonderful Ikea Kallax/Expedit cube storage. Also, I don't have a desk at all right now (currently using a fold out banquet table after tearing out a terrible built-in desk in the old office).
What I'm currently leaning towards for a computer desk is a medium stained Ikea Gerton top (like this internet stranger did: https://imgur.com/gallery/kEmy8) on top of a Vivo adjustable desk legs (https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Management-Adjustable-Workstation-DESK-V103E/dp/B073K1JSW7/). It's non negotiable that this is on the top wall, because I will be otherwise driven nuts by glare from the windows.

I expect for the crafting table stuff a table that is 5 feet long would be nice too. Maybe even two of them, because you can never have enough space. Should be able to support a heavy, 60 lb vibrating sewing machine steadily. I'm thinking one or two of those tops stained and treated in the same way.

Looking at all the things I want, I don't think fitting 2 desks and a sofa is going to work. Any thoughts?

I’d look into whether or not you can multipurpose a single desk space, and put the sewing machine under/near the desk that you can lift up as needed. I have a single “work area” and I purpose it for whatever I need at the time, though I work on a laptop so in a pinch I can work in another area.

Evaluate how often you actually use the sewing area as well (like, rear end-in-chair, doing work), vs how often it’s just used as “temporary project storage” for half-finished things. I know someone who bought a house with a “craft room” specifically but 6 days a week it just sits in a state of temporary work.

It’s hard to visualize, but my initial though is that you’re not going to be able to put a desk, sewing space, two chairs, a board game collection, and sleeper sofa in that room without it looking comically overloaded. If it were me, I’d put in one desk, one desk chair, and one sitting area thing (sofa, whatever), and put the board games in the closet.

Also, I’d get an adjustable standing desk. I have a HM Renew and it’s fantastic.

e: If you’re set on the two desk thing, put one on the left by the window and one up top, ditch the idea of the sofa.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If no one is ever going to sit on the sofa, maybe a different kind of convertible bed would work better in the space? That way the room is only crowded when the bed is being used.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Facebook Aunt posted:

If no one is ever going to sit on the sofa, maybe a different kind of convertible bed would work better in the space? That way the room is only crowded when the bed is being used.

Now that I consider it, I agree with this. I think I’d just keep the air mattress though, instead of a closet pull-out or whatever. How often do you have guests over? Like is the quantity of guests such that it dictates a dedicated sleeping space for them, or is it just a “we want to look like we’re more hospitable for the twice a year we have people over” thing.

If you have people sleeping over bi-weekly I could see the value in the lost space, but less than that seems like a waste. You’re essentially shrinking the usable size of the room and adding an object that you have to navigate around for something that will be used less than what you could otherwise employ in the area.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just buy the real ones on sale instead of cheap lovely knockoffs, Herman Miller runs sales at least annually. They look better and will last longer than you will.

If the real pieces are out of your price range, I’d get a set of chairs that were designed at the price point you’re looking for instead of buying cheaply-made knockoffs that will need replacing. There’s plenty of molded plastic chairs for less than $100 a chair that are designed at that price point and made well for what you pay.

This, a lot. Knockoffs will only disappoint you, sorry. Also, it turns out my mother was right when she told me never to buy a chair you haven’t tried sitting in.

Edit - also, what those two said ^^. Unless you’re regularly having people stay there, why give up all that space when you could actually be using and enjoying it?

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Thanks all.
Where I'm at now is putting all fabric and game storage in the closet, and the layout now looks like this. Couldn't find a correct looking corner desk to use in the program, but imagine the cutout being slightly further out and in line with the table next to it. And use your imagination that all the colors are correct.

I'll plop some variety of chair along that wall for guitar playing, I think.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That looks sensible.

Also, I store all my games in the closet mainly for the fact that a board game shelf looks really busy, with different words and colors and box shapes. Out in the open it ruins the serenity of the room and becomes this sort of weird unintentional focal point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Board games belong in a closet so when you open the benign doors you get a chaotic blast of whimsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Woah, they're boob lights, but they're not boob lights...

Also, GotLag found this... place over in the Crappy Construction thread. This place is tacky no matter which the decade it comes from. Highlights: