Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Lol that loving Mavericks game. Who looked at PUBG/Fortnite/BR games, and was like you know what this needs? 4x the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Elman posted:

They'll just buy the game again

I will repeat again, don't tell this to the people who think all these hackers are using this game to earn their $200 in steambux per year! Just get rid of all those crates and boom, hackers gone.

Trabisnikof posted:

For this to shine as an esport they need a web/chatbot accessible minimap and at least 2-3 cameras plus the live editor switching between them. Maybe that’s too expensive, but if you handled it like a live broadcast with multiple cameras it wouldn’t be nearly as horrible and add in second screen maps, bam you’ve got an interesting spectator sport.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's that the game itself doesn't lend itself to esports/competitive gaming. the spectating issue is second to that.

I think it could lend itself to the e-sports community. It just needs innovation and presentation. You would more likely be following one team instead of the whole server though, maybe until it gets down to a few teams. I would watch a fully polished team only camera. Hell, I pretty much already do when I watch Viss play. There are certainly ideas out there to make it fun to watch.

The rendition they currently broadcast is trash and they miss all of the action, though. The game doesn't have the back end tools yet to make it pleasant to watch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Communist Q posted:

Lol that loving Mavericks game. Who looked at PUBG/Fortnite/BR games, and was like you know what this needs? 4x the players.

It's the same sort of dumb thinking that leads to open world games being advertised with how big the map is -- the thinking stops at "numbers are bigger!!" and doesn't actually address whether the game is the better for it

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Pubg esports should be handled more like a race series than a match between two single teams

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

1v1 on the full size map. No circles.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's nowhere near it. But remember, 10 years ago we logged in to cs 1.6 to watch lovely HLTV versions of matches and downloaded single player demos.

Try 17 years ago! I really enjoyed loading demo files into the game and replaying them, it was bandwidth efficient and cool.
CS Source came out in 2004 but I was too busy being a grownup by then. (No longer!)

blunt posted:

8 just feels like about the biggest number you could conceivably go and still get a group of people communicating in discord and pulling off some fun plays. At 50 Vs 50 it's just turning into counterstrike on a giant map.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the closest thing I've played (I haven't played any Battlefield games). Enemy Territory pulled of 24 v 24 but there was no real coordinated teamplay. Anyway 50v50 PUBG would suck, as you said.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I might as well quit now, nothing will ever feel this magnificent again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRh_jPZJfY

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Try 17 years ago!

Where has my life gone.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Shannow posted:

The best part is that he would have lived, and killed you if he hadn't jumped out of the car.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Guys, obviously the model for spectating this game was detailed in the documentary The Hunger Games, originally detailed by Suzanne Collins. All that's missing is the ability to drop health packs and scopes in airdrops close to your sponsored players. And World War 3.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

drunken officeparty posted:

1v1 on the full size map. No circles.

So...DayZ?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
God, get rid of the winchester. If I am scrambling around for a weapon, I would rather a 9mm pistol than the infinite winchesters in the game

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:siren:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/966155529692372994

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Mauser posted:

God, get rid of the winchester. If I am scrambling around for a weapon, I would rather a 9mm pistol than the infinite winchesters in the game

Winchester is a beast though, just treat it like a slug shotgun

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Trabisnikof posted:

For this to shine as an esport they need a web/chatbot accessible minimap and at least 2-3 cameras plus the live editor switching between them. Maybe that’s too expensive, but if you handled it like a live broadcast with multiple cameras it wouldn’t be nearly as horrible and add in second screen maps, bam you’ve got an interesting spectator sport.

What could work is a 30 second delay time, where kills, close shots and good action are complied into a list so some auto cameras know where to go to get a good video, generate heat maps of where the action is, etc.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Don't know how the full post wasn't linked in this thread yet:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/2742000471562664977

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Bug Fixes

- Fixed the issue where the player didn’t receive any damage after entering a vehicle from a prone position and then exiting while the vehicle was moving

... you've got maybe 36 hours left to exploit this and jump off motorbikes at full speed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Mash posted:

Don't know how the full post wasn't linked in this thread yet:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/2742000471562664977

it was

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Geez, the update regarding the new crates was sneaky. Can't blame them for loving money.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Welp, excuse my blindness.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mauser posted:

When you find the Winchester, you become the Sheriff of Miramar.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Cowboy Hat (White): 0.0128%
Military Skirt (Black): 0.0064%
This hurts my fashion heart.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the map's gonna be the same size as the other two aint it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the map's gonna be the same size as the other two aint it.

Hopefully it'll be larger with more open space, there's simply too much action as it is!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why i oughta...

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The new map will be a 16km2 randomly-generated maze that's not visible on the minimap

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

Geez, the update regarding the new crates was sneaky. Can't blame them for loving money.

This one? Yeah real subtle.

https://www.playbattlegrounds.com/news/129.pu

e: vvvv Yeah I hope I'll get a final circle in that forest some day.

I think snow might work just as well as desert, if they use apply wide-open spaces more sparingly than in Miramar. Ideally we'd get skis, snowmobiles and temporary snowfall too. Snowfall is poo poo for visibility, great cover!

BTW I hope everyone's aware that snowmobiles are awesome and can run on open water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blzYt3JlUU

Well, it can as long as you don't slow down... The sport is called Watercross and is big in the north of Sweden.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 21, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Honestly I'm not sure how a snow map's supposed to work, it's going to have even less visual cover than Miramar since spotting people in the snow is super easy and no matter how many white clothes you wear your armor will still be black.

There's so many good choices for a battle royale map: forests, jungle, urban environments... Have you ever been to the area north from Mansion? It's a really thick forest that looks amazing, I wish we'd get more of that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Do people like the idea of snow because you can follow footprints? If that's the case then they are going to be disappointed.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

My game plan of running in bigger and bigger circles so that anyone who looks in my directions' computer crashes due to the amount of footprints being rendered is out then?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I dropped Hacienda yesterday on solo squads and not a single other soul showed up. It was eerie.

Shannow posted:

A minute longer than it needed to be

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

daslog posted:

Do people like the idea of snow because you can follow footprints? If that's the case then they are going to be disappointed.

i'd just like to be able to see people far off easily.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Two questions:

1) Has anyone here ever been killed by someone who wasn't hacking?

2) Is there a cinematic or something that's supposed to play when you start the game? Whenever I click the icon, the screen goes black and I hear like, a very distant kind of sound but...it's so quiet it could be anything. The screen is black, and until I click the mouse button that takes me into the main menu, it just remains black.

Also: Why can't footprints in snow be rendered just like bullet holes?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

credburn posted:

For markings in snow to be worth a drat it needs to be permanently stored server-side so anyone travelling large distances don't see fresh snow in areas well-traveled. This is likely a huge overtaking.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

credburn posted:

Assuming you're talking about permanent footprints or anything longer than 30 seconds of duration, the network performance and likely the FPS would plummet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
If this new map were in a continuous state of snowing, that would make a good excuse to have footprints fade away.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
But how loud will it be?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

credburn posted:

If this new map were in a continuous state of snowing, that would make a good excuse to have footprints fade away.

Sounds like a good way to get the prissy playerbase to mass log out any time the map comes up

e: FREE FOG MAP

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

credburn posted:

yeah i figure it'd be a short duration thing.

multijoe posted:

Sounds like a good way to get the prissy playerbase to mass log out any time the map comes up

e: FREE FOG MAP

i want rain back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

free them both into the trash