Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah! What a lovely bird. Good job, Chili!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hope you look forward to that thing trying to lie on your face next to Butterscotch.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yeah I hope Hudson is another foster failure so we get pictures forever.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Haha. Sorry to say we'll probably never see Hudson again. They're going to reintroduce him (upon checking pictures online, I'm pretty sure he's a male) to the will and maybe he'll find his way back to our house.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's cool as hell. We have a lot of hawks in my neighborhood, but I usually only see them at a distance. Well, except at the local wildlife park and the one time a hawk flew into the store I worked at.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Any updates from folks what was wrong with it?

I ran into a crow flopping around weirdly this summer in the local park. It clearly couldn't fly and was having trouble even hopping around. Eventually cornered it in between a couple fences, and took the wife's advice to try to bring it to a hospital. Didn't have any towel handy or anything, so had to take off my shirt to cover up it's head and wrangle it. Had a fun 1/4 mile walk shirtless walk home with a bird secured in my hands.

You hear about how light birds are but until you're holding a 16" tall bird that feels like it weighs nothing it doesn't really sink in. With wife's help we drove into Portland to the wild animal hospital but it'd had some heavy wing damage (probably from a cat attack, tons of indoor/outdoor cats here) and had to be euthed. Sad, but a better end than starving, infection, or a cat finishing the job with another mauling. Glad it sounds like you're getting a better result!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My former roommate's assfuck of a cat liked to camp the bird feeder. One day he took down a Baltimore Oriole, which is only common-ish to my area, so before he could finish it off I rescued it and transported it to the local wildlife rescue. It was reported to me that the oriole was rehabbed and released. Doing things like this feels good!

Good luck, hawkbro!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
That was awesome and cool to do Chili, but if there is a next time for the love of gently caress wear goggles or something! Talons and beaks are no bueno when panic-raking across your eyeballs.

I wonder if there's a medical code for "bird blinded"?

Edit: oh god there's codes for everything

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 5, 2018

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Neophyte posted:

That was awesome and cool to do Chili, but if there is a next time for the love of gently caress wear goggles or something! Talons and beaks are no bueno when panic-raking across your eyeballs.

It's good, but it's no "Sucked into a jet engine, subsequent encounter".

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Any updates from folks what was wrong with it?

I ran into a crow flopping around weirdly this summer in the local park. It clearly couldn't fly and was having trouble even hopping around. Eventually cornered it in between a couple fences, and took the wife's advice to try to bring it to a hospital. Didn't have any towel handy or anything, so had to take off my shirt to cover up it's head and wrangle it. Had a fun 1/4 mile walk shirtless walk home with a bird secured in my hands.

You hear about how light birds are but until you're holding a 16" tall bird that feels like it weighs nothing it doesn't really sink in. With wife's help we drove into Portland to the wild animal hospital but it'd had some heavy wing damage (probably from a cat attack, tons of indoor/outdoor cats here) and had to be euthed. Sad, but a better end than starving, infection, or a cat finishing the job with another mauling. Glad it sounds like you're getting a better result!

Called in today. Turns out Hudson had a back injury. They're not sure how it happened but that would certainly explain why he was grounded. He was also yakking up some "weird stuff". I assured them I didn't feed him anything so they're gonna keep an eye on that. Overall, though, they anticipate that he should be able to re-enter the wild. They're just going to keep him nice and warm through the winter. So he kinda lucked out!

They also forbade me from giving them any more money :shobon:

Neophyte posted:

Yes. You are 100% right. If I had anything like that at my disposal, I would've gone for them. But, I didn't. Time was of the essence, and most stores were closed. Also, when I got close to him the first time (unfilmed) it definitely didn't look like he had much in the tank. I was pretty hopeful that it would go easily.

And hey, the loss of an eyeball and a badass hawk scar ain't too bad. I could live with that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm glad you were able to save that hawk. Poor little dude, hope he has a good winter and a successful release.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the best thread.

:kimchi:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Chili posted:

Yes. You are 100% right. If I had anything like that at my disposal, I would've gone for them. But, I didn't. Time was of the essence, and most stores were closed. Also, when I got close to him the first time (unfilmed) it definitely didn't look like he had much in the tank. I was pretty hopeful that it would go easily.

And hey, the loss of an eyeball and a badass hawk scar ain't too bad. I could live with that.
The young woman who runs the Portland Audobon isn't all that big and routinely manages to wrangle bald eagles that need wrangling. Towels on the head work miracles when it comes to birds, apparently. Just keep your digity bits away from their pokey bits, keep their wings folded in, and they're pretty easy to handle.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Chili posted:

Sure, I figured it was an emergency! But now you can go to Amazon and buy a few pairs of inexpensive Uvex safety glasses for next time bird friends show up. Or for the next panicked foster. Or to keep Butters from blinding you in floof at cuddle times (given your past videos you might want to invest in a snorkel too, lest you be Buttersmothered).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

My former roommate's assfuck of a cat liked to camp the bird feeder. One day he took down a Baltimore Oriole, which is only common-ish to my area, so before he could finish it off I rescued it and transported it to the local wildlife rescue. It was reported to me that the oriole was rehabbed and released. Doing things like this feels good!

Good luck, hawkbro!

said orioles was soon signed by the dodgers

Dosan Yvormes
Jan 6, 2018

Pander posted:

The young woman who runs the Portland Audobon isn't all that big and routinely manages to wrangle bald eagles that need wrangling. Towels on the head work miracles when it comes to birds, apparently. Just keep your digity bits away from their pokey bits, keep their wings folded in, and they're pretty easy to handle.

I don't know, that sounds scary to me! The covering of the eyes does work a treat though.

Well done on the thread Chilli, definitely a worth while thing you're doing here, shame I would never be able to say goodbye to the animals haha!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hello Foster Thread!

This week my partner and I got our first foster kitty together? (My first ever, while my partner's fostered a few times before.)

Meet Josephine:

Josephine is ten years old, and super sweet. She was surrendered by her owners after she got stressed out by some renovations they were doing and started peeing and pooping everywhere but the litter box. We're also her second foster -- her previous was a single person who couldn't give her the attention she needs (she's a very loving kitty). From what I gather, she started having digestive issues as well as the outside-the-box thing, and so she was under medical observation for a week or two at the headquarters before being assigned to us. She's been doing really well at our place, and on a digestion-support diet. (Regular bowel movements, and all in the box so far).

For the first two days we had her in the spare room to give her time to adjust, but she was pretty intent on seeing the rest of our apartment, so we let her out last night (but put her back in the room overnight, since that's also where her food and litter tray are for now). According to my partner she's a really easy foster -- a lot of cats through this organisation are feral and need to be acclimated to humans for the first time. If anything, she's too friendly!

Anyway, here are some pictures of her settling in:

What are you doing kitty? That's my forums account! You don't even have thumbs!

All tired out after :justpost:ing

She seemed to have settled in pretty well, so today I swung by the pet store and picked her up half an ounce of the dankest BC Bud.

Yeah, that's the good stuff...

(I only offered her a tiny piece, in case it upset her digestion, and she mostly sniffed it and rolled around on it.)

... and done. (She's currently even more thoroughly passed out than this.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So, just in case anyone is actually still reading this: Josephine update!

This morning we discovered that she'd pooped partly out of the litterbox. It seemed like an honest mistake, though, and not a deliberate passive/aggressive poop-in-the-middle-of-the-floor thing.

(As an aside, because of her digestive stuff, we have to continue updating her medical log, including ranking her poops on the Bristol scale. So far they've all been within the 2-4 range, mostly a perfect 2-3.)

So, toys. She's a middle-aged kitty, so we expect her not to be the most active or playful, but so far she hasn't shown much interest in the wands or ping pong balls she came with. But this evening, my partner heard a weird kind of yowling out of the spare room, and rushed in to find Josephine with a hair elastic in her mouth. Apparently this is the toy of choice -- she loves to chase hair elastics when we shoot them across the room, and gives us little prey-hunting chirps as encouragement.

I'm just really impressed at her acuity in communicating that to us.

Oh yeah, she's kinda taken over that armchair in the last photo, and is currently chilling there.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
She's incredible, keep posting more!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good catte and catte saver

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This morning we discovered that she'd pooped partly out of the litterbox. It seemed like an honest mistake, though, and not a deliberate passive/aggressive poop-in-the-middle-of-the-floor thing.

(As an aside, because of her digestive stuff, we have to continue updating her medical log, including ranking her poops on the Bristol scale. So far they've all been within the 2-4 range, mostly a perfect 2-3.)

So, toys. She's a middle-aged kitty, so we expect her not to be the most active or playful, but so far she hasn't shown much interest in the wands or ping pong balls she came with. But this evening, my partner heard a weird kind of yowling out of the spare room, and rushed in to find Josephine with a hair elastic in her mouth. Apparently this is the toy of choice -- she loves to chase hair elastics when we shoot them across the room, and gives us little prey-hunting chirps as encouragement.

Oh yeah, she's kinda taken over that armchair in the last photo, and is currently chilling there.

I am 100% still reading, and you're doing an awesome job! Pics pics pics!

Kind of a good news/bad news situation in our house. I mentioned a bit earlier that we're pregnant and while that's incredible, and we're beyond happy... it kinds means it may be the end of our fostering journey for a little bit.

We fully intend to raise our daughter in a house filled with lots of animals though and one of the things I'm really looking forward to doing is having her be "in charge" of her own foster litter when she's old enough. So while there will be more fostering in the future, it may be some time until that happens again.

Which means that all of us, myself and you poor lot, are just stuck with Butterscotch posts for now. I'll try and be better about updating the thread with his stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chili posted:

are just stuck with Butterscotch posts for now.

Oh nooooooooo it's the worst fate in the worldddd

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

StrixNebulosa posted:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just want to hug on butters because he has the saddest face ever

:kimchi:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

How old is Butterscotch, out of curiosity?

Dosan Yvormes
Jan 6, 2018

Not only is that possibly the best response I have found on these forums yet, but also oh so cute. I look forward to following Butterscotch's story more.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Keep posting so we can continue to follow, Josephine looks adorable and glad that you have found something that interests her.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Dosan Yvormes posted:

Keep posting so we can continue to follow, Josephine looks adorable and glad that you have found something that interests her.

Will do!

Lol I'm going to have to try and get video of her with the hair elastics. She's taken to finding one and bringing it to us in her mouth, meowing all the while (with her mouth full), then dropping it at our feet like a dog.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

A few more photos:

We moved in a few months ago, so still have a few boxes left to unpack. I was tackling one of those, and the obvious happened:

Also, Josephine has pretty much claimed this armchair as hers, now:

Related to fostering, someone reminded me last night that Bob Ross used to volunteer with his local wildlife rescue (and rescue squirrels himself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koOWsj70d4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best Bob Ross squirrel video is when he meets a giant squirrel and it blows his mind that there are squirrels that big. This is kind of it, but there’s a better one that uses this footage:

https://youtu.be/qJHsYyebNqA

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I get the keys to my house tomorrow.

It'll be a few weeks before I'm properly settled in, but soon it won't be a wildly irresponsible thing for me to get a dog!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edit: wrong thread.

Wholesome content: good luck getting a dog! They really help make a new place feel like home.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sometimes he's worth it.

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/959074350652633088

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Getting annoyed with the human side of the rescue I'm dealing with. I've been specific in the requirements I've wanted and the woman keeps trying to talk me out of dogs, show me new ones or try to match me up with some that are completely out of the range I'm looking for.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I tried adopting a cat, but ended up with a stuffed animal instead. Oh well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is a real good thread about a man and his foster dog healing from being abused:

https://twitter.com/JShahryar/status/950534045779222528

https://twitter.com/JShahryar/status/950551410927480833

https://twitter.com/JShahryar/status/963243941356224512

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

the best humans.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
[Live streaming some Bscootch hangout time. video type="youtube"]XRlL6OW69BA[/video]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Butterscotch is love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Volunteering at the local PetSmart, where a cat rescue hosts adoptable ladies and chaps. Only two around for my shift.

First up is Indy.

Indy is an utter sweetheart. He is more like a chill small dog than a cat, slightly velcro-y, loves pets and attention, desires belly rubs. He'll give brief barky meows when he wants attention.

His fur is super-fine, and clings to anything, refusing to let go. So while it's fun to furminate his luxurious coat, it uh tends to stick. Still, the voluminous purrs are totally worth it.

Bingo is a little bit more reserved.

They're a bonded pair, but it's hard to tell when I'm there cause Indy loves scritches and bingo likes ignoring people and exploring the corners of the room.

Bingo has insane whiskers, soft fuzzy fur, and butters-like worried eyes. He's not exactly a scared cat but he does seem to prefer quiet over bustle. I stayed quiet long enough just now that she jumped into my lap in search of the good scritches.