Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Super Odie piledriving the lumu is the hero we don't deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Malaria posted:

I suck at this game. But I think switching to Lance from Gunlance has changed things for me. I do way better with the plain ol' lance. I feel like I just got "better" somehow. Maybe I'm just getting the hang of this.

Annyway I have a question about poison... Is it better to use a poison weapon with slightly lower attack than a non poison, higher attack lance? Lance doesn't really hit super hard anyway, so I thought maybe poison might be better? I don't totally get how poison works.

My two options are Blooming Lance (230 attack + 240 poison) or a Kulu lance (253 attack +15% affinity).

So Status in this game works in that the monster has a threshold for a status. Melee weapons have a chance to do status damage with every attack, once it breaks that threshhold, the monster is affected by a status. At this point the status counter resets at a higher threshhold. It does have a cap usually after hitting 5 or 6 times. I'm not sure what the numbers are here, but in old games you'd normally see caps 5-10 times higher than the initial hit. For some of them, like Stun and Exhaust, the duration will also see diminishing returns. Statuses also have a decay rate, so you'll lose some of your progress if you stop attacking.

Poison is unique in that you can actually double trigger it, but instead of overwriting it, it will extend the duration. Poison is also unique in that the damage is different per monster. Poison hurts a Rathian way less than Anjanath.

The end result of this, is that you generally want faster hitting weapons for status effects.

If you're doing well with the lance you should be standing right in their face poking them with poison pretty constantly, and poison damage can really add up (assuming it's not a rath(ian/alos) or pukei pukei.

tl;dr: Poison lances are rad.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

shortspecialbus posted:

Also Stun Resist 2 is basically worthless - it's as useful as no stun resist at all. I need to figure out a way to get Stun Resist 3 on my current setup that isn't going to rely on lucking into another decoration, common as it may be.

If you have at least one decoration for it, Tzitzi Beta gloves + 1 anti-stun deco will give immunity for just your glove slot. Otherwise you could build a level 3 stun charm.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a build I can make to use a gunlance with blast status? Boom boom baybeeeee!!!!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

JBP posted:

Is there a build I can make to use a gunlance with blast status? Boom boom baybeeeee!!!!

I don't have a full build (i just picked up uragaan armor and earplugs and laugh at everything attempting to disrupt me), but the Earthshaker Magda has 420 blast and rank 4 long shells, which get a massive charged shot boost. So you can do some good stuff with alternating pokes and charge shots.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
This is by far the best sword and shield has ever felt and its crazy how few people are playing it. Embrace the fuckin captain america shield dive and get just as many KOs as a hammer while slinging on the go and being the mount king.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fuzz posted:

I need a good HR Bow set now that I've got the final Diablos and Tobi bows. I'm currently running with a modification of my melee set which is:

Eyepatch
Nerg Chest, gloves, and waist
Dober pants

It's kitted out such that I end up with Attack 7, Weakness Exploit 3, and Stamina surge 3, with a smattering of other stuff... it's built around damage, obviously, but no big bonuses to anything bow related since I don't have the crazy Legiana set bonus gem or one for that suped up Dragonpiercer. Also no Constitution, which is a bummer. Thoughts?

Seriously the 2 point Legiana bonus seems to help a lot. I have piles of gems for everything except rathian and rathalos and I'm only HR 46. I got 2 gems from a single Daora fight earlier.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Magus42 posted:

If you have at least one decoration for it, Tzitzi Beta gloves + 1 anti-stun deco will give immunity for just your glove slot. Otherwise you could build a level 3 stun charm.

I might look for a chest piece that has it - That's my one armor piece that I'm not using for skills I really want right now. As far as charm, I'm using Earplugs 3 right now, and I have no earplugs decorations, so I'm stuck with that unless I want to completely redo my armor. I could probably change my gloves out too although that would probably trigger a lot more changes as well.

I'm taking a break anyways for a bit because that fight pissed me off so much. I thought I was loving done with Diabloses when I finished the last special arena quest for Black Diablos but no there has to be another loving one that just tagteams me with Rathalos because I can't get it killed quick enough to be gone when Rathalos arrives.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Which rank gear could we expect out of Devilhjo? How was it ranked in previous MHs?

e: Devil J Ho is the name, correcting myself

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 21, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

Which rank gear could we expect out of Devilhjo? How was it ranked in previous MHs?

Definitely high rank. He's always been one of the harder monsters.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, it's pretty much canon that the gravity on whatever planet this all takes place on is...pretty weak.

https://i.imgur.com/1RJPrPZ.mp4

Paolumu: "I need to stop fantasizing about Lee Majors... ... ... ... well, maybe one more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWU67tyknU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Things I Learned Fighting Kushala:

-If you flash pod a monster and it lands on you you will die
-If there's a corner on the map you will die. The winds surround you and stunlock you and you can't leave.
-Elderseal does nothing. At all. 200 hits and nothing happened or stopped happening.
-It's pretty rad to mount Kushala in midair and then gently caress its day up
-Pubbies will join quests and not move and you should kick them so the True Heroes, the Palicoes, can flashbang dragons for you and win
-Health booster good

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it a mistake to assume there's a maximum range to Vaal's effluvium beam? I have been hit by it at ludicrous range.

RBA Starblade posted:

Things I Learned Fighting Kushala:

-Elderseal does nothing. At all. 200 hits and nothing happened or stopped happening.

I noticed the same thing. Went ham with the Nerg longsword and I didn't notice it effecting his ability to make wind at all.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 21, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Deified Data posted:

Is it a mistake to assume there's a maximum range to Vaal's effluvium beam? I have been hit by it at ludicrous range.

I noticed the same thing. Went ham with the Nerg longsword and I didn't notice it effecting his ability to make wind at all.

The Death Breath does not appear to have a max range that can actually fit inside the map, no. I've been hit from clean across the first acid pool area, the one with the Vitalilies. It does angle slightly up though, so it will sail harmlessly over your head if you're a billion meters away. Unless you're gunning it's easier to just sprint to the right of him and wail on his legs though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The thing that elderseal seems to do is take elders out of their super powered state. So like when Kirin get super armor, or Teostra is ready to supernova, or Vaal is full of fart gas, or Xeno's arms are buff, hitting them with enough elderseal brings them out of that state before they can do their ultimate attack. Problem is it doesn't seem to prevent them from entering that state in the first place, it only works if they're already in it and when Daora is charged up its in the air and you aren't going to be hitting it. So poison is a lot better in that case

Also, all of those monsters drop dragon pods anyway and those seem to do as much or more elderseal than elderseal weapons so idk don't worry about it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What is xeno's super attack?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nowhere is safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zftsq6osw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Digirat posted:

What is xeno's super attack?
That's when his arms and body start glowing and he rears back on his hind legs then smashes through the ground and explodes.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Just quoting so you'll see this

Hey, @CodfishCartographer and other SnS users! Invertex did the same math as you did today. Same conclusion as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvOoVUOpQYE

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 21, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's better for LBGs, the eyepatch or the Dober hat and Kirin pants for max Free Element/Ammo? I can't decide if I want a streetsweeper or better DMR rounds. :v:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'd kind of like to join one of the PS4 goon squads so I can start playing multiplayer more frequently but I haven't seen the leaders in the Discord recently. Is there an easier way to get an invite? Should I just put my PSN name in here?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'd kind of like to join one of the PS4 goon squads so I can start playing multiplayer more frequently but I haven't seen the leaders in the Discord recently. Is there an easier way to get an invite? Should I just put my PSN name in here?

Yea I should get around to actually joining a squad too...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The Death Breath does not appear to have a max range that can actually fit inside the map, no. I've been hit from clean across the first acid pool area, the one with the Vitalilies. It does angle slightly up though, so it will sail harmlessly over your head if you're a billion meters away. Unless you're gunning it's easier to just sprint to the right of him and wail on his legs though.

Nope.

It does. He's been by the southwest pool he emerges from while I was sharpening in the long hallway to the next area, by the acid pool room.

I was sharpening and he shot. Welp. I thought. But I stopped short. Not infinite. Probably effectively if you are in the same zone fighting it though. Knew I should have captured the video.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

MrLonghair posted:

e: Devil J Ho is the name, correcting myself

Presumably he'll be the same tier as Bazel, so Rare 7 armor and 7 to 8 weapons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is pickleboi coming on his own or are we getting more then 1 new friend.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bombadilillo posted:

Is pickleboi coming on his own or are we getting more then 1 new friend.

All that we've heard is that he's coming in the "Spring Title Update". That's ambiguous enough that it could just be Jho or it could be Jho and Co. If it's the latter, it could be anywhere from 2-4 monsters total, since the leaked list included Orochi Kirin, Lunastra, and the "treasure dragon", all of which are presumably DLC.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You goddamn Rathian, leave me the gently caress alone, I’m going after your man not you.

https://youtu.be/tyrKeThaEJM

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Giving the Lance a good college try. Tried it against Anja and...not bad!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Hey, @CodfishCartographer and other SnS users! Invertex did the same math as you did today. Same conclusion as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvOoVUOpQYE

Neat, thanks for posting this! The advice of "who cares, just make sure you're attacking" is definitely solid. In the description he talks about how the jump slash is "obviously the best dps" which I don't agree with but eh whatever, the difference is honestly so small it doesn't really matter much, especially with SnS. As long as you're constantly attacking during your openings, you'll do fine.

E: actually he said the charged backstep is "by far the best damage" which doesn't really mean best dps.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So when I'm playing I keep hearing this weird sound effect every couple of seconds. It's hard to describe, sort of like a buzz I guess? It's not my PS4, this is a sound effect in MHW and it's always going off all the time. I wish I could describe it better but it's really loving annoying and I can't turn it off.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

And Tyler Too! posted:

So when I'm playing I keep hearing this weird sound effect every couple of seconds. It's hard to describe, sort of like a buzz I guess? It's not my PS4, this is a sound effect in MHW and it's always going off all the time. I wish I could describe it better but it's really loving annoying and I can't turn it off.

Is the noise still present if you use a different weapon or armor?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

And Tyler Too! posted:

Do you hear it on a hunt? While in combat? While in town? While on loading screens? We need a little more context I think.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Post a video of your poo poo sound

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pretty much anywhere. When I'm on an expedition or wandering around Astera I periodically hear that sound go off. Usually on a hunt it gets buried beneath all the explosions and roaring. It's not present on loading screens or in menus. Generally when I find something to interact with the little buzzing honk goes off.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got the Guard Up gem :getin:

Needed to switch helms to make it fit with my current setup but fuuuuck yeah

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pretty much anywhere. When I'm on an expedition or wandering around Astera I periodically hear that sound go off. Usually on a hunt it gets buried beneath all the explosions and roaring. It's not present on loading screens or in menus. Generally when I find something to interact with the little buzzing honk goes off.

This drove me nuts for a while. It's your palico tooting his coral horn at camp.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

It's wedge beetles. They make a distictive noise when they flutter off their braches so you know where they are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cicadas! posted:

It's wedge beetles. They make a distictive noise when they flutter off their braches so you know where they are.

Username/post combo.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This drove me nuts for a while. It's your palico tooting his coral horn at camp.

It must be doing some 3d audio bullshit, because I only have a stereo setup and that toot always feels like it originates from the back corner of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone says not to use lock on but I've found it way more helpful than not.