Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vertical Lime posted:

if you can venture out a bit i see there's a club in syosset

http://licurling.org/

Island Nation posted:

I can personally attest to it being a good group of people (It’s the club I’m in). They should have learn to curl events after the season ends but I’d have to check my email if they posted anything sooner

Without a car it looks like getting there would be pretty tough for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
So what happens if there is a 3 way tie for 4th after the round robin?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Bankok posted:

So what happens if there is a 3 way tie for 4th after the round robin?

They'll play a tiebreaker between two of the teams. I don't know how they determine the odd team out though (Record between the teams? Draw to the button?)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Points difference I would imagine

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Oh wait, that might not be correct, I was relying on someone on twitter that said there was one tiebreaker, but now he says there's one tiebreaker session with potentially multiple matches, so I have no idea how this works

e: OK, here's how it works according to the World Curling Federation:

quote:

If three teams are tied at 3-4-5: DSC* - Draw Shot Challenge decides the ranking, and could change after session 12's last Last Stone Draw.
In this situation, the team with the best DSC qualifies as third, while the other two teams play a single tiebreaker.

When 4 teams are tied, two tie-breakers will be played (best team vs lowest ranked team and the two other teams). Winners of the tie-breakers will qualify (ranked according the their result in the Round Robin).

Based on their site, there doesn't seem to be a possible situation where 3 teams are tied at 4-5-6, at least on the men's side

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I guess they may rank the tiebreaker teams (by records against each other or whatever) and the top 2 based on the rankings play for the last playoff spot while the others play for their final rankings? I dunno.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

They haven't calculated the possible results on the women's side yet (because we can still hypothetically end up with a 6 team tie if things get crazy), but here are the men's possibilities:

http://www.worldcurling.org/owg2018/scenarios-men (There's a PDF link here)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Zeeman posted:

Based on their site, there doesn't seem to be a possible situation where 3 teams are tied at 4-5-6, at least on the men's side

For the women it happens if: 1) CAN defeats GBR and OAR; 2) SWE wins one and loses the other in remaining games with USA and CHN; 3) JPN defeats SWI. Let's just say Korea wins out (it doesn't matter what they do, they've qualified) with the above situation and it would create a final standings that looks like this:

South Korea 8-1
Sweden 6-3
Japan 6-3
Great Britain 5-4
Canada 5-4
China or USA 5-4

To determine who gets into the 4-5-6 tiebreaker, the record against those other teams, then by LSD. The team with the worst showing is then just plain eliminated and the other two play the tiebreaker. Canada would have an advantage there if it was the USA that got into the tie, probably LSD too since Team Homan I think is top two in the tournament in that.

As an off-shoot of the above, if Japan lost then there would be a 3-4-5-6 tie with two tiebreaker games and winners of those advancing to the playoff round. There is a possibility of a six way tie for second place as well, meaning three concurrent tiebreaker games being played with winners advancing. They probably use the same sort of rules for that, but somewhere there is also a rule for just straight up drawing names out of a hat for opponents.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Was the Korean womens team favored this year? I assume Canada was the favorite, but did anybody see Korea blowing the competition away like this?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Yeah it's wacky on the women's side.

For maximum confusion, I want the following to happen.

Sweden loses to China and USA
Canada beats Great Britain and Denmark
Japan loses to Switzerland

That places 6 teams tied for 2nd at 5-4.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Inspector_666 posted:

Was the Korean womens team favored this year? I assume Canada was the favorite, but did anybody see Korea blowing the competition away like this?
Not that I saw anywhere. Their inclusion was usually explained by home country advantage.

This hilariously-wrong-in-retrospect article said they're likely to finish at the bottom or middle.

https://deadspin.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2018-olympic-womens-c-1822928634

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dwarf74 posted:

Not that I saw anywhere. Their inclusion was usually explained by home country advantage.

This hilariously-wrong-in-retrospect article said they're likely to finish at the bottom or middle.

https://deadspin.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2018-olympic-womens-c-1822928634

Oh man, I skimmed that the other week and then promptly forgot about it. It's the coldest of takes right now and that's awesome.

Also what the hell Nina Roth is younger than me?!

Necroblashyrkh
Nov 14, 2004
hope u got :10bux: lol
I need to vent somewhere how the Finnish olympics broadcaster is apparently boycotting the Korean women's team. They show one match per round and exactly zero of those have included the underdog success story home team.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Zeeman posted:

They haven't calculated the possible results on the women's side yet (because we can still hypothetically end up with a 6 team tie if things get crazy), but here are the men's possibilities:

http://www.worldcurling.org/owg2018/scenarios-men (There's a PDF link here)

Checked this out earlier today, and every scenario where USA wins gets them at least a tiebreaker game. Come on, Shoostie! (I make fun of you a lot, but you're an awesome dude and still a way better curler than me. Go get 'em!)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat, Korea stole 3 points twice in a row against OAR and lead 9-1 with the hammer in the 5th end.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The women's event is total chaos for most people who follow curling, including myself. Canada, Switzerland, and Russia have played well below expectations while Korea is so much better than anybody predicted. Props also to the US and Japan who are in the thick of the playoff race.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
If Canada can't pull off a miracle to get into the playoffs I am 100% on board with Team Kim.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nice shot Eve.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

can't watch this

gonna get my heart broken either way

i guess we can pencil in south korea for gold at this rate

e: if canada wins this and tomorrow morning do we get a rematch for a tiebreaker, i've lost count of the scenarios

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 21, 2018

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

e: if canada wins this and tomorrow morning do we get a rematch for a tiebreaker, i've lost count of the scenarios

I wouldn't be worrying about this :(

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Ugh, this match just fell apart for Canada

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fuckin eh canada, all aboard the kim bandwagon.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Canada about to eliminate both themselves and the Americans (technically the US could earn a tiebreaker with Japan if Japan loses to Switzerland, but lol at that).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I wasn't paying attention earlier in the end. How did GB end up with so many rocks in there?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oh i see what's up

you could say this is the

eve of destruction

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That has to be the worst Olympic performance from a Canadian curling team ever.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hell yeah! :britain:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Chicken posted:

They're the first ones to not win a medal, so yeah, of course it is. I guess it was inevitable that a Canadian team would have a bad week at the Olympics at some point.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chicken posted:

Actually partway through this match we revoked their citizenships.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Rachel Homan going to come back to Canada a drat pariah. An absolutely shameful out for our team, ugh that sucks.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Poor Rachel.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's good that they added doubles so canada can still get 2 curling medals

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Our thread's very own Chicken predicted they would finish 2nd to last.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Zeeman posted:

Poor Rachel.

yeah

something had to be up you don't just do this badly all of a sudden

and don't worry canucks eve's probably gonna get wrecked by the homegirls and then i can quit following this stupid sport for a month

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I was one place closer than most predictions! Still, did not see that coming at all.

Also Canada didn't win a medal twice when it was still a demonstration sport. 1924 and 1992 in the men's event.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Chicken posted:

I was one place closer than most predictions! Still, did not see that coming at all.

Also Canada didn't win a medal twice when it was still a demonstration sport. 1924 and 1992 in the men's event.

Man, Kevin Martin was the skip in 1992! How did he miss out?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently the Russians replaced their third with the alternate a couple matches ago since they're out of the tournament.

I thought alternates are usually the first or second.

Still don't understand how Sidorova lost to these chucklefucks.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
welp, friendship ended with Rachel, Kim is my new best friend

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gret posted:

drat, Korea stole 3 points twice in a row against OAR and lead 9-1 with the hammer in the 5th end.
It's even worse: they stole 3 points in each of the first 3 ends to go up 9-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Martian Manfucker posted:

welp, friendship ended with Rachel, Kim is my new best friend
She is a stone-cold assassin. (cold ... stone ... assassin?)

• Locked thread