Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh joy, a school trip to Hawaii. I'm sure this will be culturally respectful and not have any awful stereotypes.

...Hang the gently caress on, didn't we just had a beach scene? Did no one think this through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given there's a precedent for school trips being disappointing in the series, I wouldn't be surprised if it rains the entire trip.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Can't you scroll the Mementoes map with the right stick? I'm fairly sure I could scroll on my playthroughs.

Is there public wi-fi in Tokyo? I'd assume Futaba has all her hacking tools in a dropbox folder in case she needs one quickly, USB sticks are dime a dozen and you'd be amazed how small an hacking payload can be.

I'm frankly amazed the school gravepine hasn't noticed the student council president hanging out with us losers, especially considering that Joker straight up walks up to Makoto in broad daylight right in front of the student council room for her SLink.
Then again, those students aren't exactly the sharpest crayons in the box.

Chihaya's affinity reading is loving amazing and why is it the rank 7 unlock? I'm not complaining though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

amigolupus posted:

Oh joy, a school trip to Hawaii. I'm sure this will be culturally respectful and not have any awful stereotypes.

...Hang the gently caress on, didn't we just had a beach scene? Did no one think this through?

Not only that, it promises to be a worse beach scene in other ways. It's a school trip, so Futaba and Yusuke won't be there since they're not Shujin students.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

Can't you scroll the Mementoes map with the right stick? I'm fairly sure I could scroll on my playthroughs.

Goddammit, I just checked, there is scrolling but it might be limited in some way just based on what I remember.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sojiro's been able to understand Morgana all along, he just pretends he can't 'cause he doesn't want to interact with his foster kid's dumb mascot character.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

Don’t rush me. I assure you, I can handle this. More importantly… everyone at school has been on edge since that tabloid article. Please be careful not to stand out, OK?
You don’t gotta tell me twice!

well actually

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I wish "foul-mouthed maid cafe girl who gets mistaken for a mugger" was a party member.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just noticed that there's a sign for a cat cafe in the background of the images you have of the capsule trading dude in Akiba. Would've been amazing if we could've gone to one in this game, especially with Morgana in tow. Wonder what it would've given you if it had been added, Kindness perhaps?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 17, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Omobono posted:

Is there public wi-fi in Tokyo? I'd assume Futaba has all her hacking tools in a dropbox folder in case she needs one quickly, USB sticks are dime a dozen and you'd be amazed how small an hacking payload can be.
The internet is actually surprisingly mediocre in Japan, though it's supposedly way better than the US.

Though admittedly, things may have improved in years past

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GhostStalker posted:

Just noticed that there's a sign for a cat cafe in the background of the images you have of the capsule trading dude in Akiba. Would've been amazing if we could've gone to one in this game, especially with Morgana in tow. Wonder what it would've given you if it had been added, Kindness perhaps?

Obviously it would have different cats for you and Morgana to hang out with and those cats would give you different stats. Maybe a really large grumpy cat gives you guts or a small little kitten gives you kindness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least our branded goods are kind of useful in the dungeon.

...huh. I wonder if it's just because cognition. Of course you've got a potent healing item with your face on it, right next to the shark repellent.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The internet is actually surprisingly mediocre in Japan, though it's supposedly way better than the US.

Though admittedly, things may have improved in years past

Currently staying in Japan for a month, can confirm. No public WiFi in many places, and if you do find a network it's usually spotty at best. Although "pocket WiFi" (portable WiFi routers that connect to your data plan and you can use to connect your appliances to) is a very common thing here, so maybe she's just using one of those.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Public wifi in Japan was trash when I went there in 2015, with the notable exception of Akihabara (where you had reliable free wifi at hot spots across the neighborhood) and, for some odd reason, Asakusa, which had a main street with Kappa statues and wifi all the way to the Tokyo Skytree.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Jiru posted:

Currently staying in Japan for a month, can confirm. No public WiFi in many places, and if you do find a network it's usually spotty at best. Although "pocket WiFi" (portable WiFi routers that connect to your data plan and you can use to connect your appliances to) is a very common thing here, so maybe she's just using one of those.
I have pocket WiFi and VoIP my phonecalls, it owns and costs 1/4 what actual phone and internet plans would. The only downside is the IP or whatever is so dynamic that my e-mail floods with security risk false positives and sometimes I have to do captchas for like 10 minutes.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Public wifi in Japan was trash when I went there in 2015, with the notable exception of Akihabara (where you had reliable free wifi at hot spots across the neighborhood) and, for some odd reason, Asakusa, which had a main street with Kappa statues and wifi all the way to the Tokyo Skytree.

Yup! Asakusa had great public WiFi and there were loads of free WiFi Starbuckses around the gaff too. (On another note if you are going to Asakusa at any stage just right of the market square toward the Sensoji temple there is a little tiny restaurant that do the most amazing massive gyoza - would recommend)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Finally caught up with this thread. Looking forward to more.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

idloveaspud posted:

Yup! Asakusa had great public WiFi and there were loads of free WiFi Starbuckses around the gaff too. (On another note if you are going to Asakusa at any stage just right of the market square toward the Sensoji temple there is a little tiny restaurant that do the most amazing massive gyoza - would recommend)

I need a name so I can go there by 2020 and steal their hearts plates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 97: 9/2-9/3: The Worst People In The Game

Music: Beneath the Mask

You some kinda misfortune magnet or something? Just don’t bring any bad luck down on me, got it?

No, my sister still hasn’t come home.
Mannn, she’s seriously that busy?
Probably because of us.
So, uh.. do you still want to go through with this…?
Yes. I can do it. Hold on, I have a message. It sounds like she’s on her way home.
All right! It’s finally time!

Understood. I’ll report back tomorrow.
Oooh, I can’t wait to see what comes of this…

But who did it? Could #Millennials be possibly involved? We investigated to try and get to the bottom of this.
Wow, everyone’s so interested in the Phantom Thieves. Make sure you don’t blow our cover, OK?

I’m gonna murder all the rich people, old man, and you can’t stop me.

By the way, is your house ever going to get air conditioning? Maid outfits get too hot during summer and really cold in winter. They’re so impractical. Oh, well. Does your room need cleaning, or did you need me to cook for you? I provide all sorts of services! But, um… there’s stuff I need to talk to you about, so would you request me?

I’ll be heading over right away, thennn. Please wait for me, Master!

…… But I have to say goodbye to it today.

Music: Alleycat

The thing is, I’ve decided to quit! ...My boss found me a part-time job that pays better than this one.

Oh no.

Takase-kun’s guardians keep increasing their demands… ...So this is just what I have to do.

Takase-kun’s guardians say the only way to apologize to Takase-kun is by paying them. If that’s not true, then what’s the right thing to do here…? I wonder if I can escape all this if I quit being a teacher. People like me have no right being a teacher. If I quit on my own, I won’t have to pay them… That’s why I’m going to quit both my teaching job and my maid job… What do you think?

But did I really decide it on my own…? Now that I think about it, it’s too late for me to stop being a teacher. If I really felt bad for what happened, I would’ve resigned the day he died. And yet, I still felt the need to teach… I wonder why I feel that way even now.

...Hamiru-kun. …… Oh, that’s right… I decided the way to apologize to him was to make sure there won’t ever be another student like him. Because I might’ve been able to save him if I hadn’t been afraid of rumors or labels back then. I wanted to become a teacher who takes care of her students. That’s the mindset I had! But now, I spend all my free time at part-time jobs, just so I can continue working as a teacher. I put the critical work of a teacher on the back burner, so I could make “apology” money. That’s where it all went wrong… I can’t make things right with Takase-kun like this…

I’ll be the teacher I aspire to be… That’s the right way for me to make amends to Takase-kun. From here on, I refuse to pay them any more money! And that is my answer! ...Well, what do you think?

...I learned that from you. In a way, you’re MY teacher. ...Haha, just kidding.

This fall on Disney Channel, experience the heartwarmingly funny tale of the teacher who might just have more to learn from her students than the other way around! and also she’s a prostitute

I feel Kawakami’s trust in me strengthening...

I’ve been so worried about making money that I haven’t been paying attention to my students. Especially to you. I averted my eyes from you because you were labeled, just like Takase-kun was… But from now on, I’m going to protect you too. As your teacher, I will never betray you.

The first option here is hilariously weird and line-crossing, even if it fits with the tone of the conversation better. Therefore I went with the second option, which is basically the equivalent of responding to “I’ll defend you with my life” with “Cool,” and just seems ridiculously non-chalant.

I’ll speak with the Takases. I’m not going to run anymore. Everything should be fine as long as I talk to them face to face. All right, it’s time for me to go. Thank you… I’ll see you later. Good night.

Music: Days of Sisters

I’m listing up the evidence that’s been taken into storage. It’s a chore that any part-timer could do. I don’t have time to waste on something like this… I felt like my irritation would show on my face at the office, so I brought it home.
Sorry to hear.
The Phantom Thieves case isn’t so easy that I could pursue it in my spare time… The media keeps making a ruckus about it, so people have been wary whenever we make inquiries. Why, I couldn’t get anything out of a man who seemed to have intel… I even tried threatening him.

Yikes.

All I did was question him a bit harshly.

It’s unclear, but I think it’s possible she’s talking about Sojiro, in which case this is a hilarious understatement.

Oh, I almost forgot… I’ll be going on a school trip starting next week… The senior faculty are being questioned, so I’ll be going in their stead…
Sounds good to me. The school will owe you for it. It won’t get in the way of your entrance exams, will it?
Not at all. ...Feel free to take a bath first. I… need to study.
OK. I think I’ll do that.

Music: Disquiet

……

A progress bar appears onscreen.

This should do it, right?

poo poo!

I want to change my toothbrush.
I-I bought a new one already! It’s on the shelf!
Thanks.

HOT TOOTHBRUSH REPLACEMENT ACTION

Hurry…!

An extremely soft thud can be heart from the bathroom, so quiet I had to rewind the video and turn my volume all the way up to hear it. There’s zero chance anyone playing this on a TV would have heard this, is what I’m saying. Also Sae’s been in the tub for maybe twenty seconds at this point.

It's pretty great that according to the portraits Sae bathes fully clothed because they couldn't be bothered to give her a whole second outfit.

It’s so close to being done too…!

What is it?
I bought a new bath salt. It’s on the same shelf, so would you mind putting it in the tub?
Not at all.

The process completes.

Music: Suspicion

I’m not entirely sure I did it correctly though…
Oooh, I’ve been waiting for this! Gimme, gimme, gimme!
I have to head to school right now though…
Whoa! My bad! Bring it right after then. I’m gonna punish you if you’re lateee!
Looks like it went well! I wonder what we’ll find… Oh! Before that, we should get over to school!

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

He knew all about Kamoshida, but kept his mouth shut. Ridiculous…
Well, let’s vote him up on the Phan-Site. I can’t imagine the Phantom Thieves wouldn’t go after someone so rotten. I’m sure other teachers knew, too. Anyone who did deserves a change of heart.
Yeah… But, wait! What if it messes up our school trip? Maybe we should wait until after.

Priorities.

Music: So Boring

Your destination is none other than Hawaii. I hope your passport isn’t about to expire. You’re heading out on Wednesday, so there’s no time to get a new one printed.

HMMMMMMM

Anyhow, I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time sightseeing in Hawaii more if you have more knowledge.

Fucker, I’m MAXED

Now then, Hamiru-kun. Look closely at this picture.

Yes, really. That’s his name.

In this famous statue, he’s holding a spear in his left hand, but what does he have in his right?

We’re gonna get sued.

That’s correct. He’s actually just holding his hand in the air.

As an aside, it seems that this statue is not of King Kamehameha himself.

I want you all to know that “Kamehameha” does not set off my word processor’s spellcheck. Dragon Ball is real, y’all.

After Kamehameha’s death, another king commissioned the statue, using a boy from his court as the model.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

I hope you will make the most out of your five days there. Let me just say that I have a fondness for macadamia nuts, so…
Souvenirs, huh… I definitely wouldn’t want to get some wooden figurine. I can’t understand why people would send things like that as gifts…

I repeat, Hamiru-kun, please come to the Student Guidance Office.
That sounded like Kawakami. I wonder what’s up…

Hmm, what could Kawakami want with us during lunchtime?

I told them… that I’m not going to pay them any more money!

Good for you!

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I’m going to devote myself to being a great teacher! No matter what others say, I won’t waver. So, thank you for giving me such good advice. I just thought you should be the first to know…

What!?

Music: Desire

Tch, him again?

How rude… I guess a student is only as good as his teacher. Obviously you lack a proper education.
You thought you could just call and say you’re not going to pay anymore? Who do you think you are?

Wait, I thought she said she was gonna do it in person? Guess she got cold feet?

It’s what I decided, for Takase-kun’s sake. I’m going to make sure there won’t be any more students like him, who…
So you’re just trying to get out of your responsibility? I bet you don’t even care about Taiki! How are you still a teacher? Maybe we really should sue the Board of Education! Are you OK with that? A teacher who caused her student to die would surely cause a scandal.

If you want to take legal action, then go ahead. Regardless, I’ll continue teaching. I’ve decided that that’s the best apology I can make to Takase-kun. Paying money to you two is not the solution, to say the least!
Hmmm… Along with suing you, maybe I should tell everyone about your little secret…

AH, gently caress

How did you…!?
Oh? So I’m right, am I?

I mean, the amount of money you’re paying us can’t come from just a teacher’s salary. Well? Shall we head on over to the faculty office?

Hah! A teacher working in the sex industry? You’ve definitely done it this time. How unfortunate for you that you thought you could just leave Taiki’s matter unsettled… You know what you have to do now, right? Pay up! And don’t ever call us again with this garbage about stopping the payments!

I know! But what am I supposed to do…? ……

Now there’s a plan.

Haha…
Kawakami appears to be deeply hurting… I need to do something for Kawakami…

...Who? The Takases? The husband is Toshio-san… and his wife is Hiromi-san… Haha, I could never forget them. I send them money every week…

Please don’t. A Shujin teacher asking the Phantom Thieves for help would be…

Who said anything about the Phantom Thieves? I was going to break into their house and kick them until they stop moving. Holy poo poo, what awful people.

*nods*

Just forget everything, OK? If you think about it, I’m right back where I started… …...

Haha… Class is about to start… I need to go.

This is just heartbreaking.

I need to do something about the targets for Kawakami…

Man, that was depressing. Time for some whiplash!

Music: Wicked Plan

If we’re gonna lay low, we might as well enjoy it. Aww, look at this one! Gigantic sea-turtle sightseein’ on some beach.
Come on, food’s more important than some turtle. You really don’t find steak this big and thick in Japan! Also… mahi-mahi? Is that some kind of fish? Think it’s good?

I thought Ann’s deal was sweets, not meat. You’re infringing on Chie’s gimmick!

It seems that it’s the season for schools all around. We’re going on our school trip as well.
Yeah? Where you guys goin’?
I believe it’s Los Angeles.
Ahaha, that doesn’t suit you at all, Yusuke! I bet you wanted to go somewhere like Nikko or Nara.
Anywhere is acceptable. Natural mineral pigments used for Japanese art was also originally imported.

What country’s that…?
Our place.
Wait, are you scared of airplanes?

I dunno guys, it’s so hard to pick, and I’m just a little distracted by the fact that my homeroom teacher is being forced into selling her body against her will to raise money to pay her blackmailers. That’s still pretty fresh. But I’m sure whatever you fucks are goofing off talking about is pretty important too.

We’ll make sure to buy a souvenir for you.

Just no wooden figurines. He hates those, apparently.

Ooh, here comes some interesting data.

Music: Disquiet

But it says “perpetrated” and “connected.”

Actually, it’s not just about people having shutdowns. Looks like she’s inferring that the psychotic breakdown incidents are connected to the same case.

Flashbacks to previous events made completely meaningless by the fact that none of it’s in loving English!

How long do you think it’ll take to analyze all of it?
Hmm, there’s a lot, so it’s not happening overnight. But I’ll manage by the time you guys get back. I demand souvenirs from Hawaii and LA for my reward.
I don’t really get all this, but you’re as amazing as always, Futaba! I guess it’s called an information war? It’s so high tech and modern, it kinda reminds me of a movie.
We’re the Phantom Thieves, so it’s not that big a deal. I mean, I can turn into a car and stuff too…
C’mon, don’t try and compete with her.
What did you say!?
You’re fine the way you are, Morgana. Like, you’re cheeky cute?
Cute… Lady Ann… I…

I can’t wait to see how much the Phantom Thieves’ popularity has increased by then!

Music: Beneath the Mask

You’re really sounding like a teacher right now, man. What’re you even saying that for?
Didn’t I tell you? I’ll be coming along.
What?
The teachers have asked me to chaperone the trip in their place.

Yes. I was worried about how many troublemakers will be there.
Are you talking about us!?

Wait, what? I just said I’m glad she’s coming and she immediately turns around and insults me?

But why are they having you go at all, Makoto?
It seems some teachers have to stay behind to deal with that tabloid article. So, they decided to get a couple of third-years to act as additional chaperones. It seems a few others besides myself will be going as well.
Oh, I see.
Either way, this overseas trip has been truly long-awaited. I expect leaving Japan will be a great eye-opener for us. This is a wonderful opportunity, so we should be sure to enjoy it.
Don’t forget souvenirs!
…...

OH GOD, COP

...Things have blown up in my face ever since I criticized the Phantom Thieves. Sae-san even warned me to watch what I say to the public. I suppose their popularity is beyond my imagination… I should think more before I open my mouth. I must be going now. The coffee was delicious.

He’s a sharp kid. Why don’t you try learning from him?

Donning a cloak of wind, a Feather Arrow will cleave the sky! Revive and fight Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “Feather Pink’s Victory.”

Let’s get another Affinity Reading.

Yusuke again.

And we can rank up next time we see him, perfect.

Music: Layer Cake

I barely use a PC ‘cause I’d be in trouble if it got hacked. So, you’re here ‘cause you saw my message, right?

This time, I’m going to have you gather some info. You’ll be on your own though. I gotta take care of some other business.

The guy you’re lookin’ for is homeless, but he knows what’s up. He’ll be somewhere in Shibuya. Get info on the “rumor about the underground deal,” and don’t act all suspicious. I gotta take care of some other business, so I’m countin’ on ya, kid.

Y’know you can find anything you need on the internet, right…?

...Who sent you here?

As funny as it would be to immediately narc on Iwai, nah.

Sure. Anyway, I’ll tell you… but just this once. You’re gettin’ into some shady business here. All right, just act like I’m mumblin’ to myself, you got it? No promises I’m gonna say anything useful either.

Apparently something big went down with a huge Asian investor. Deal was worth about… 100 million yen.

I’m loving serious you guys, Iwai’s Confidant so far just seems to be a random mishmash of every single Yakuza game.

Though you’d figure something that massive woulda got more people talkin’ about it… Maybe they leased some kinda high-end club to keep it as private as possible…? I didn’t hear a thing about that though.

It’s nice to hear that comin’ from you, Tsuda-san.

Music: Desire

Welcome.
All right Iwai, I’ll take one of everything you showed me today. I’ll need an entire arsenal. How long would that take?
Depends on how quick the parts come in. Some stuff’s prolly gonna have to go through customs… How long things get stuck there’s totally outta my control though…

Uh-oh.

...That’s right.
Well then… if you don’t deliver on time, I might just have to let Kaoru-kun in on your little secret.

God, what is it with today and blackmail?

Tsuda-san, please…
I wonder, how will an adolescent boy like him react to finding out his father was in the yakuza…? I guess if things go sour, we could always try to sell him again...

I’m sorry, what?

Fine… I’ll put a rush on your order. Happy now?
Very much so. Well then, I look forward to hearing from you again… soon.

*sigh* Sorry you had to see that. Anyways, how’d it go today? You learn about anything good?

Huh. So someone made a big deal with the Hong Kong mafia worth 100 million yen… And it happened sometime ‘round New Years… ...Wouldn’t surprise me if Tsuda had somethin’ to do with it. I hear he’s been braggin’ all over about a big score he made right near the start of the year. I’ve gotta do some more research into it myself…

But, uh… another time, yeah? Man, I can’t wait to see the look on Tsuda’s face. It’s been ages since I’ve felt this excited. And it’s all ‘cause of you, kid. Turns out you’re pretty useful.

Well, I’m gonna head home early and spend some good ol’ quality time with Kaoru to celebrate. drat fine job again, kid. Get on outta here.
I feel like helping Iwai with his work has honed my Proficiency

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

I’ll see ya next time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 22, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
its fair enough to repeat
gently caress the Takases

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

After playing P3 a million times, I'm happy we're finally giving the terrible people of Japan their comeuppance as opposed to enabling them.

Edit: wow that's phrased poorly, you know what I mean

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I believe that the Takases are not the worst people in the game, but they are at a close second.

Arist posted:

All I did was question him a bit harshly.

All I did was threaten to have his kids taken away by Japan's lovely CPS. Now leave me to my work before I go off and emotionally cripple you with another random rant.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm really curious what term the original used because "sex worker" sure as heck wasn't it, considering how American it is.

The actual maid thing is enough for use as blackmail and I really doubt it went much further than that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The highest I would put them would be 3rd worst but that is more because there are some absolutely awful people in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really curious what term the original used because "sex worker" sure as heck wasn't it, considering how American it is.

The actual maid thing is enough for use as blackmail and I really doubt it went much further than that.

The term "sex worker" is broader than just "prostitute," despite the reductive joke I make in this update. Even if she's not literally having sex with her clients (which the game is kind of dodgy about), she is most certainly employed in that industry.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

The term "sex worker" is broader than just "prostitute," despite the reductive joke I make in this update. Even if she's not literally having sex with her clients (which the game is kind of dodgy about), she is most certainly employed in that industry.
I'm well aware how vague and bad the term is; that's why I´m curious what the original one was, which should have been translated better rather than using American slang

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it really qualifies as slang, though. If anything, to my knowledge the term is one of the more respectful ways to refer to someone of that profession.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't think it really qualifies as slang, though. If anything, to my knowledge the term is one of the more respectful ways to refer to someone of that profession.
The term itself is deeply political, because while its intentions were benign, it's been heavily pushed by pro-prostitution forces as a way to intentionally muddy the debate and try and wrongly conflate prostitution and other 'sex work'.

It's vague on purpose, which was first so because it was hoped it would have less stigma for prostitutes and then because it enabled people that sold women like pieces of meat to engage in games of rhetoric.

This is going into some unrelated waters to this game though, but it shows immediately that the game was translated by an American, because it's the only place where the debate on the term has been (somewhat) settled.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Arist posted:

Yes, really. That’s his name.

In this famous statue, he’s holding a spear in his left hand, but what does he have in his right?

I knew this one solely because of Animal Crossing. :v:

drat games being educational! :argh:

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I suppose it's impossible for Kawakami to counter-sue them for blackmail and child abuse, huh? Or, she could try but it wouldn't be feasible for her.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Double Plus Undead posted:

I suppose it's impossible for Kawakami to counter-sue them for blackmail and child abuse, huh? Or, she could try but it wouldn't be feasible for her.
Ah uhh, the simple answer to that would be a strong no.

Not only would the system never admit she had been blackmailed, the school would fire her the very instant she'd be connected with being a maid and she'd be blacklisted from being a teacher ever again.

Defamation would also be useless, because in this case it's literally a fact she was employed in these services.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Hmmm… Along with suing you, maybe I should tell everyone about your little secret…

AH, gently caress

How are these guys not major antagonists? They're as bad as Kamoshida.

It's bad enough that they drove her to work in that kind of industry in the first place, but then using that to blackmail her afterwards? :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 21, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How are these guys not major antagonists? They're as bad as Kamoshida.

It's bad enough that they drove her to work in that kind of industry in the first place, but then using that to blackmail her afterwards? :argh:

Honestly, it feels like they'd fit in as better antagonists than Kaneshiro. Like, Kaneshiro was nasty but his brand of poo poo is a lot less insidious than the Takases. You could even try and place the Takases right after Kamoshida so poo poo about the school being hosed up is still fresh in your mind.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Takases are a good example of people I would enjoy seeing the Phantom Thieves' "stealing hearts" routine taken more literally on.

As in removing their hearts from their bodies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Found a youtube clip of the scene in Japanese:

What he says is 風俗まがいの裏仕事. Which basically means "your secret job in the sex industry." So yeah, it's pretty much as vague as possible.

For the record, he doesn't actually know about her maid job at all, he just made a wild guess that she confirmed with her reaction.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 21, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So...did Maaku just straight up tell Kawakami he's a loving Phantom Thief, or what

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Really Pants posted:

So...did Maaku just straight up tell Kawakami he's a loving Phantom Thief, or what

As we've already seen with Hifumi, by the time your trust with a confidant reaches a certain level Maaku is pretty comfortable making an oblique offer to just rub someone the gently caress out for them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, ok, it makes sense because the maid poo poo isn't technically part of that, but it segues into it and would be just as career ruining to a teacher. Even in more enlightened countries that wouldn't fly and in Japan, ooof.

Really Pants posted:

Not quite but at this juncture everyone roughly knows their modus operandi so she can guess what we mean to do with it, if not that it's actually us doing it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Her reaction implies she thinks he's just going to put their names up on the website or something. She's shocked that he asked at all, but doesn't seem to be expecting anything to come of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oxxidation posted:

As we've already seen with Hifumi, by the time your trust with a confidant reaches a certain level Maaku is pretty comfortable making an oblique offer to just rub someone the gently caress out for them.

He's not as bad as Ryuji. But hey, the job does have perks. And some people need their metaphorical asses kicked.

Or their literal asses, but Joker is a class act so he sticks to stabbing people in their Jungian metaphors.