Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

DangerousDan posted:

So the game is starting to lag more and more. Textures are failing to load quickly, faces and armor are failing to appear.

Really evident during Baptism of Fire. I get the feeling some of the important cut-scenes didn't load, because I got a bunch of dialogue during a loading screen and then was suddenly in a climactic fight. e: looking at youtube, some of the cutscenes didn't even play. Also had a moment when everyone was standing around doing nothing. Loading also took ages (will be updgrading to an SSD soon, which I assume will help with that).

Only running a 960 with 8GB RAM so I think I'm doing OK at medium, but are there any tricks and tips anyone has picked up to make things run a bit smoother? Cheers

I have an ssd and didnt see a huge improvement but it did help and maybe in your case itll help more. Apparently it doesnt use much ram but you can force it to and 8gb should be plenty.

"Right-Click on Kingdom Come: Deliverance in your Steam Library and find ‘Set Launch Options‘. Copy/paste the heapsize command for the amount of RAM.

4GB: “-heapsize 524288”
8GB: “-heapsize 1048576”
12GB: “-heapsize 1572864”
16GB: “-heapsize 2097152”
24GB: “-heapsize 3145728”
32GB: “-heapsize 4194304”
64GB: “-heapsize 8388608”

Theres a way to do it in the config file too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

DogonCrook posted:

I have an ssd and didnt see a huge improvement but it did help and maybe in your case itll help more. Apparently it doesnt use much ram but you can force it to and 8gb should be plenty.

"Right-Click on Kingdom Come: Deliverance in your Steam Library and find ‘Set Launch Options‘. Copy/paste the heapsize command for the amount of RAM.

4GB: “-heapsize 524288”
8GB: “-heapsize 1048576”
12GB: “-heapsize 1572864”
16GB: “-heapsize 2097152”
24GB: “-heapsize 3145728”
32GB: “-heapsize 4194304”
64GB: “-heapsize 8388608”

Theres a way to do it in the config file too.

Heapsize commands has no effect in CryEngine.

I seem to remember there being something you could do to make the game rely more on the GPU than the CPU, but I can't remember what it was.

Also, the game defaults to borderless, so switching to fullscreen can net you some extra frames.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
Dropped 100+ Red Deer Venison outside a shack with two a couple and a dog in the woods as I already had 80 some and had to get rid of that and go back for it.
Arrived back to find the dog laying where I had stashed the meet nearby in a bush, looking very satisfied.

The sense of atmosphere, world and the way the mechanics plays into it have me captivated in a way that I don't think I've had since probably Morrowind/FFXI/Everquest for some reason. Maybe it's just been that long since there was an RPG with the sort of harsh and trying environment and feel, with proper rpg mechanics at that.

Oh forgot the other day I found I actually gained some FPS by moving LOD/vegetation draw up. Who knows though I could be nuts, I changed those and got ~5fps. I'm running a 4670k(3.4/ sometimes run it at 4.2), 1080, 16gb ddr3. Just finally ordered an SSD this was the last of many straws though.

edit: should mention game is fuckin weird as poo poo and full of tons of poo poo that makes you wonder, "how did they think this would work" or "holy poo poo that's why nobody has done this in 15 loving years".

taels fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 21, 2018

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mondian posted:

For most of history a knight was just an armored fighting man, it wasn't until much later it became an honorary title that distinguished you as not a peer, but at least not a filthy commoner. Even then I don't believe it came with land though. Also, all the people calling you a knight are peasants, they don't know any better anyway

The word you are looking for is "men-at-arms", which was the term used to describe mounted and armoured fighting men. Knights/Ritter were landed gentry. Below them you would have lesser landed gentry, like squires and Edler. Below that came commoners who owned their lands (e.g. yeomen). And under that you had free tenant peasants who did not own land at all but worked on rented land. And under that you got serfs, who were still not slaves per se, but were not free to leave the land that they worked on. They were bond to the land so that when parcels of land were bought and sold the serfs also changed masters. And serfdom were inherited: children of serfs were also serfs.

The rule of thumb is that knights most often fought as men-at-arms, but most men-at-arms were not knights; for most of the high- and late middle ages, most who fought as men-at-arms came from lesser landed gentry and landed commoners.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, for anyone else who was wondering, you can snag a Skalitz Shield and Waffenrock off a guard in the prologue -- choke him out from behind stealthy enough and nobody will notice.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

taels posted:

Dropped 100+ Red Deer Venison outside a shack with two a couple and a dog in the woods as I already had 80 some and had to get rid of that and go back for it.
Arrived back to find the dog laying where I had stashed the meet nearby in a bush, looking very satisfied.

The sense of atmosphere, world and the way the mechanics plays into it have me captivated in a way that I don't think I've had since probably Morrowind/FFXI/Everquest for some reason. Maybe it's just been that long since there was an RPG with the sort of harsh and trying environment and feel, with proper rpg mechanics at that.

Oh forgot the other day I found I actually gained some FPS by moving LOD/vegetation draw up. Who knows though I could be nuts, I changed those and got ~5fps. I'm running a 4670k(3.4/ sometimes run it at 4.2), 1080, 16gb ddr3. Just finally ordered an SSD this was the last of many straws though.
Don't dump stuff on the ground to pick up later, the games deletes loose items incredibly fast. Dropped some swag to fight a couple of bandits (overencumbered to the point of walking), and when I was done a couple of minutes later, swag was gone.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Scherloch posted:

Heapsize commands has no effect in CryEngine.

I seem to remember there being something you could do to make the game rely more on the GPU than the CPU, but I can't remember what it was.

Also, the game defaults to borderless, so switching to fullscreen can net you some extra frames.

I've been copy pastaing stuff from this thread into a random text file. Someone mentioned this at some point:

quote:

Create user.cfg in your main folder. Add r_BatchType 1 into user.cfg.

edit: I noticed someone said this didnt work for them, it needs to be

r_BatchType = 1

It dramatically improved and almost completely eliminated the game hitching up for me in towns/castles.

For some loving reason cryengine defaults to using your CPU utilization so doing this switches to prioritizing GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruK4j-Rr3c
Here are some videos with a few more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmVXjPhGgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leDcvDG_s18

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone

So I replayed the mission on low, which totally sorted framerate issues. Can tinker around with settings to my liking. (my main concern is AA, which I love and need, if anyone has any tips. Can't see an option in advanced graphics)

Main problem then was for some reason the climactic cut scene in the church triggering during loading? Has happened twice now. I can see the subtitles on my dark loading screen, but just goes direct to the fight. I assume this is a weird bug, or maybe something to do with my HD?

dpf fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 21, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone figure out what benefit, if any, there are to higher tier bridles? Better shoes make your horse faster, better bags make your horse carry more, better spurs give you a higher charisma, but what do better bridles do? Is there a noticeable effect?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Trying to, yes, but the game seems to automatically choose the next swing if you press the attack button quickly enough. I see the direction arrow flash for the next attack in the combo, I try to move the mouse in that direction and press attack when my weapon clangs from the strike. I have only purchased short sword combo perks, and am using a short sword and shield.

In the training event you get a long sword, and it's supposed to be upper swing, upper right, then a lower swing. If I wait until the clang, the game has me do an uppercut for the second swing, instead of down from the upper right. So I'll attack from straight up to start the combo, but then another attack press makes me swing from below.

When are you supposed to press the attack button the second and third time? When the game flashes the next direction arrow (before the strike), exactly when the weapon connects (when it clangs), or after that? Because I have tried all three and it doesn't matter whether I change the attack direction or let the game do it: my second strike is never both 1) from the correct direction and 2) at the correct time to be a combo. My stats still say I have only done 1 combo, despite completing the training event a few dozen times.

I don't think you have to do a specific combo for it to work. I was just choosing random directions and it was working. I guess it's easier to do on a controller/console because the direction stuff just stays on screen.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Scherloch posted:

Don't dump stuff on the ground to pick up later, the games deletes loose items incredibly fast. Dropped some swag to fight a couple of bandits (overencumbered to the point of walking), and when I was done a couple of minutes later, swag was gone.

haha yeah that makes a whole lot more sense. On a side-note having not saved in 3 hours meant i couldn't save scum when I got caught thieving, 125g, or before I tried to pickpocket that gold back (+ 60g more in fines. god dam.)

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Was tasked with pickpocketing off a certain person, tried to sneak up on him as he was eating dinner. The 8-tick window I gave myself was not enough and he turned around pissed.Four seconds and six face punces later he was much easier to loo..pickpocket.

Then his wife comes in with her bowl of dinner...

She got six as well.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, for anyone else who was wondering, you can snag a Skalitz Shield and Waffenrock off a guard in the prologue -- choke him out from behind stealthy enough and nobody will notice.

I have a Skalitz Waffenrock, but I definitely did not choke any guard. I think mine came from one of the chests in Talmberg Castle.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

guns for tits posted:

i like the game, but its annoying as hell how I can't progress the main quest due to a bug preventing the next one from triggering

Yeah. Ginger quest just doesn't trigger.
GG Warhose studios GG.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

this is henry's voice actor irl

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shanghaied posted:

I have a Skalitz Waffenrock, but I definitely did not choke any guard. I think mine came from one of the chests in Talmberg Castle.

I went back and choked the same dude again -- I could tell because he was wandering around with a sword and shield and nothing else -- and this time he dropped a Different skalitz shield (quartered instead of wavy pattern) and the shortsword Needle.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

So now my rep with a cities people is -51, is there any recovering from this?
tried to use the launderer/bathhouse and she demanded 200+ silver, kinda annoying.
edit: got caught thieving for pechek, but I was just pick pocketing a rando when I was caught.

taels fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 21, 2018

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

taels posted:

tried to use the launderer/bathhouse and she demanded 200+ silver, kinda annoying.

Stash any stolen items in an owned chest. Punch a guard in that town. Surrender. Choose to spend a week or so in jail. Instantly have 20 rep in the town regardless of what it was before.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

ccubed posted:

Stash any stolen items in an owned chest. Punch a guard in that town. Surrender. Choose to spend a week or so in jail. Instantly have 20 rep in the town regardless of what it was before.

cool thanks, is there any organic way to raise that back up? will it happen from like just completing quests and poo poo? The economy is hosed when you lose rep.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Completing one of those bandit camp quests will improve relations with civilians, but the guards will still hate your guts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DangerousDan posted:

this is henry's voice actor irl

Yeah I'm super gay for Henry. He's awesome.

gently caress Hans. Is it supposed to be insanely hard to beat him in sword combat or do I just suck? I'm like level 4 in Sword, Warfare, Strength and Agility. And how do you riposte? I can parry all day.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
If you buy/sell things in towns, haggle, and give them favorable prices you increase reputation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

gently caress Hans. Is it supposed to be insanely hard to beat him in sword combat or do I just suck? I'm like level 4 in Sword, Warfare, Strength and Agility. And how do you riposte? I can parry all day.

have to learn riposteing from captain bernard

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Ok, so I'm in a weird spot where I was forgot to save before the quest Courtship and tanked my rep as I mentioned.
so I'm assuming I cannot take theresa to the tavern like i want, does that have any consequence? Quest is timed and I can't throw myself in jail right now for a week and miss an integral part of the 'story". Whatever I guess i like long walks on the beachriver more than getting drunk at the bar and banging the cute roommate...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

precision posted:

while hans is a bit of an rear end in a top hat, he has been training in swordsmanship his entire life. at the point where you duel him he's definitely tougher than you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Roobanguy posted:

while hans is a bit of an rear end in a top hat, he has been training in swordsmanship his entire life. at the point where you duel him he's definitely tougher than you.

True, I guess I got the impression that he was supposed to be one of those noble shits who isn't actually good at anything, not someone who actually excelled at training. Like I thought he was supposed to be a "failing upwards son". Medieval GW Bush.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

adhuin posted:

Yeah. Ginger quest just doesn't trigger.
GG Warhose studios GG.

Don't suppose there's a way to fix it without starting over, is there?

Edit: According to the steam forums, it looks like the bug effects everyone at that point.

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I haven't seen any fixes yet. I reloaded an earlier save and decided to do other stuff on mean time.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So apparently using a shield with a longsword neuters it. No combos, perhaps no feints. I was using a shield for ages and enemies were parrying and dodging like crazy then got rid of it and now I'm crushing through guys in seconds

Also got a yew longbow for getting my Welsh poo poo on. Thing CRUSHES enemies if you get headshots. People were talking about having trouble in Nest of Vipers with sending up in fights with more than a couple guys... I had 9 guys chase me at once and mowed them all down with headshots

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 21, 2018

taels
Oct 19, 2012

taels posted:

edit: got caught thieving for pechek, but I was just pick pocketing a rando when I was caught.

Ok so i used the "punch guard in face guide", got me back to 16 rep with people and guards but even a vagabond quest giver demanded 35 g to speak with me. Looks like I'm loosing a level and 4 hours.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Neurosis posted:

So apparently using a shield with a longsword neuters it. No combos, perhaps no feints. I was using a shield for ages and enemies were parrying and dodging like crazy then got rid of it and now I'm crushing through guys in seconds

Also got a yew longbow for getting my Welsh poo poo on. Thing CRUSHES enemies if you get headshots. People were talking about having trouble in Nest of Vipers with sending up in fights with more than a couple guys... I had 9 guys chase me at once and mowed them all down with headshots

yeah don't use a longsword with a shield. i got lucky and learned that early during the prologue against the random bandits on the road back to skallitz.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Only played for 3 hours, but so far its making me want to read some history books about medieval societies.

I also looted and ate a rotting pretzel from the corpse of my mum, so

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I managed to finally spare Ulrich without the game crashing. Although on the run it happened he knocked me off my horse and I started floating. He instantly surrendered:

I could walk up slopes but would never lose elevation, and slid around like running on ice. Fixed by getting back on the horse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

guns for tits posted:

Edit: According to the steam forums, it looks like the bug effects everyone at that point.

If that were true how has anyone beaten the story?

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

precision posted:

If that were true how has anyone beaten the story?

apparently its due to the new patch or something

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ulrich was cool until we went into battle together and he decided to go in his pyjamas and kept getting instantly owned

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

guns for tits posted:

apparently its due to the new patch or something

I really hope I don't end up having to restart because of all the patches, there's just enough mandatory stuff in the beginning that it would feel like a chore

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok you can definitely stealth kill Cumans in the prologue, which is a nice effect when saving Theresa.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

precision posted:

The trick with Hans is, be wearing armor when the fight starts, then stab him in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Found a good collection of bugs on youtube. Quite a few of these made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAFnijnPYGU

Graphic. Card. There are no bugs here mister. :colbert:

Roobanguy posted:

Wait, are you supposed to lose that fight? I keep getting my rear end handed to me by random bandits but I can't remember Hans actually being very difficult to beat.