Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I recognize that quote, I was in that reddit thread explaining to that mcallen dude how pants on head retarded he was being.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Have they optimised Sandi's performance yet?

No, her best performance is still TC 5346. $5.99 USD in case you are interested.

Virtual Captain posted:

Strange, it's on your own drat youtube channel Jobbo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Did anybody noticed that Chris doesn't seem to have a "normal" talking speed, he either sounds like he's on heroin or on cocaine.

Goosfraba fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

That's precisely why I haven't changed it. I want the moron who paid 10 bux for that poo poo, to be reminded each day he looks at it, that its poo poo. And he paid for it.

Too bad he put you on ignore so he won't see it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Remember the RSI forum regular named “Crobbler?” The guy who incessantly talked about birds? I mean, this fuckin guy never, EVER broke character. For like the span of a year he replied to almost every major thread with a left-field derail wondering how the topic of that thread would impact birds in the ‘verse.

I never laughed harder, reading his posts.

He was a genius.

That guy really was the best Citizen :parrot:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"The firm said Tuesday that it fired van der Zwaan last year and has been cooperating with authorities, according to The Washington Post."

Nobody tell the citizens, they look so happy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thoatse posted:

I feel grief

:negative:

Seeing as how Squadron 42 is still MIA and Star Citizen is years from launch, I can't see why you'd feel grief at Chris Roberts 0 successes so far

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

quote:

I'm going to make a major prediction (Full disclosure I'm nearly Concierge Rank 2): 3.0-4.0 is going to make or break Star Citizen. If they fall far behind on their 3.X road map, people will lose interest and they won't be able to get a lot of funding. However, if they complete the 3.X road map, especially if they do it on time, they will finally be in the home stretch.

To recap, the 1st quarter release of 3.1 will have:
  • Character customization
  • Polished helmets
  • Planet generation tools
  • Distress beacon to summon help
  • New HUDs and MFD displays with a different look for every manufacturer
  • Better flight control
  • A holographic clothing and inventory display for Mobiglass
  • The weapons will be balanced
  • The ship damage effects will look better and be debugged
  • The ship's AI will be converted to work with Subsumption (?)
  • Aegis Reclaimer, Anvil Terrapin, MISC Razer and Tumbril Cyclone will be implemented
  • Half a dozen new weapons
  • The network binds will be culled
  • and the performance will be optimized

I'm assuming all the existing bugs will be fixed, too.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Sounds exciting. Good to see they got over the slump and are making progress.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Gabe Newell’s son plans a Space MMO called Fury; cites Star Citizen, Titanfall as partial inspirations.

He also mentions wanting to work at Cloud Imperium Games before deciding to go his own way.

/StarCitizen posted:

I hope this is allowed, but I found this interesting enough worthy of a share here. Since Chris has shared previous kickstarters himself

Youtube Channel named Valve News Network interviewed him about an "SCI MMORPG FPS" game he plans to kickstart, named "fury". Currently he only has released some concept art.

He said this game idea is inspired from some concepts from Titanfall, Spore, Garry's mod, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. But specifically mentioned he's more inspired by Star Citizen to me. He did an AMA in the comment section on the Youtube video. But he's also planning an AMA in 9pm EST on Twitch

There he mentioned their current plans are to use Unreal Engine 4, and "we're planning on having it be open world with planetary exploration and player created cities and objectives." Though he's mentioning that the game being modable and user created is one of it's bigger points.

Sounds quite ambitious for a first time startup developer. Though there's no doubt this guy is well connected for a startup, so he's got that on his side. As a Garry's Mod regular... I'm desperate for something new thats moddable, creating content on an engine made in 2003 is frustrating... I wish him the best of luck.

Not everyone at /SC is unhappy about it. The biggest surprise? SamFreez is A-OK with this plan!

Svide posted:

“He said he wanted to work for CIG, Can you imagine Gabe Newell's son working on star citizen? That would give a lot of exposure.”

Uh-huh. That’s the problem.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 21, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seeing as how Squadron 42 is still MIA and Star Citizen is years from launch, I can't see why you'd feel grief at Chris Roberts 0 successes so far

Did you not see the pure ownage coming from that one post alone? Checkmate, goonies

:negative:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hey uh so when is that uber-whale paid for lunch with Crobberts supposed to take place?

I really want to see the tweets after that one happens

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Preen Dog posted:

To recap, the 1st quarter release of 3.1 will have:
  • helmets
  • tools
  • Distress
  • flight controls
  • The ship damage effects will be bugged
  • Aegis Reclaimer, Anvil Terrapin, MISC Razer and Tumbril Cyclone will be sold
  • Half a new weapon
  • The network binds will be

I'm assuming all the existing bugs will be fixed, too.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Sounds exciting. Good to see they got over the slump and are making progress.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 21, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

Don't have to boot up my AWS instance because it's Linux based. Just forking blobs. It's separately addressable.

Risc is good, killer refresh rates!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Hey uh so when is that uber-whale paid for lunch with Crobberts supposed to take place?

#fidelity, #bdsse, #timeshare

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

Gabe Newell’s son plans a Space MMO called Fury; cites Star Citizen, Titanfall as partial inspirations.

He also mentions wanting to work at Cloud Imperium Games before deciding to go his own way.

/StarCitizen

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Blue On Blue posted:

I think it happens sometime around the end March. The paid lunch is the helmet polishing part of the 3.0 release.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:ironicat:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I am excited to see the incisive critiques offered up by these noted authorities on Game Development.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

"I've sent this to the ones responsible for this sort of situations"

:gary:

= he called his parents.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Have they optimised Sandi's performance yet?

You can't optimise the void. It simply is.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
"Chris sacrifices everything for quality! Not even deadlines matter in the face of his desire for perfection!"

As they're playing a steaming pile of poo poo that barely functions, and crashes more than it runs.

Perfection.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Pff. Indoor cat.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/CEcYMVk.gifv

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Toops posted:

Hey yo Chris. You will never create anything that could ever possibly begin to rival the beauty of this, a true, procedurally generated bird.

You will never move one unit of anything closer to the nature of perfection.

You will never touch the face of God.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

God drat, croberts has such a punchable face that I want to punch through my monitor.

Viscous Soda posted:

... I dunno, it's from one of the "placate the whales" Star Citizen videos, so I'd guess sometime last year...

'Placate the whales' - whales get -10% liberty desire, croberts gets -20 prestige.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Dragging this one up from the depths just to remind everyone that CIG and its dreamers often talk about how they'll instance the insides of the big ships since the servers can't handle the number of players that are supposed to be able to use them. So they're expecting a seamless array of crew working within an instance, interacting within another instance and being able to spot and possibly shoot at other ships that are within another instance occupied by a crew in their own instance.

You know, with that engine and coding that can't handle 10 people running around a space station without starting to loving die screaming.

I appreciate this.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

I'm not gonna look at the forums coz I think I'm banned, but I can't help but wonder how CIG/Backers will respond to the presence and eventual release of Egosoft's X4. It looks to have a very similar set of features including beautiful graphics (but excluding multiplayer) and comes even after the general failure of "X: Rebirth" by the same small developer. Since before CR "revived" the space genre, Egosoft was the only company I know of chugging along creating new products.

What I mean is that it seems Egosoft (and it's lead) have all but admitted they thought the wind was blowing the wrong way. Ready to forfeit the genre, they rushed X:Rebirth out the door, very early and broken, in hopes to beat Star Citizen to market. (lol)
Then Egosoft ended up with years of time to explore other projects and eventually come back from their mistake.
X4 is looking amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 21, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SHACKLETON_ENT/status/966058536345116673

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Virtual Captain posted:

Strange, it's on your own drat youtube channel Jobbo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

I believe the Dog Fighting Module reveal for PAX East "This is bullshit!" predates that however. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuhIBoKBCc&t=3325s

Yeah this is loving systemic. Star Citizen is just a Crysis mod. They don't support multiple characters because the demo CryTek appears to have made just needed one commando to run around and spawn as a ship in a different shot. CIG doesn't have the talent to do anything but minor improvements.

This is always hilarious to me that he is always seemingly in control, regardless of the circumstance.

Also the word puke he spun out of nowhere regarding "oh we're making load times better with xml?" wtf? Thats like my intern telling me "oh this button is currently redirecting in an infinite loop because ______ ", while I'm reviewing their work, and they're working on it or somesuch (they're not, just to cover their own asses when I find something up with the system). Its basically poor management and laziness.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Actually I perfectly understand why they beat around the bush. Instances is a dirty word that reminds people of Elite

Can't sell a bespoke, customed made, hand crafted wheel if it's already been invented

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Superb

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

So close, so very close

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

“I’m tellin’ ya String, the shills running the con these days? They make the last bunch look sanctified... I mean, this some shameful poo poo.”

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Dragging this one up from the depths just to remind everyone that CIG and its dreamers often talk about how they'll instance the insides of the big ships since the servers can't handle the number of players that are supposed to be able to use them. So they're expecting a seamless array of crew working within an instance, interacting within another instance and being able to spot and possibly shoot at other ships that are within another instance occupied by a crew in their own instance.

You know, with that engine and coding that can't handle 10 people running around a space station without starting to loving die screaming.

Burn the heretic!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

G0RF posted:

I’ve had an effort post about organizational power at CIG that is as yet incomplete (its tricky, social science material and it feels like the thread may be past effortposts of this sort) but there’s a finished section that talks about second tier powers, and I’d lump The Dukes of High Chill (Papy, Chambers, and to a lesser extent Tony Z.) in that category.
Don't restrain yourself, your posts are the best thing in the thread and are always really interesting to read.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, can't wait for GDPR to go into effect at the end of May. It's the best piece of online regulation since internet started, there's going to be so many sweet sweet tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

PoopinClumpin posted:

I'm not gonna look at the forums coz I think I'm banned, but I can't help but wonder how CIG/Backers will respond to the presence and eventual release of Egosoft's X4. It looks to have a very similar set of features including beautiful graphics (but excluding multiplayer) and comes even after the general failure of "X: Rebirth" by the same small developer. Since before CR "revived" the space genre, Egosoft was the only company I know of chugging along creating new products.

What I mean is that it seems Egosoft (and it's lead) have all but admitted they thought the wind was blowing the wrong way. Ready to forfeit the genre, they rushed X:Rebirth out the door, very early and broken, in hopes to beat Star Citizen to market. (lol)
Then Egosoft ended up with years of time to explore other projects and eventually come back from their mistake.
X4 is looking amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA

Why did they tag this as "Star Citizen"? Is this Youtube algorithm auto-tagging and if so, why didn't they fix it manually?

I do hope X4 is as good as they present it to be.

But Shitizens... no, they won't appreciate any of it. They don't want a released game since it will never be as good as their dreams are, and a few of them don't really want to play a good game, just fight about how Star Citizen will eventually be better because... well because money, Crobber and infinite development time apparently.