Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i can't wait for the next mission impossible movie to involve a scene where tom cruise has to crypto jack off as fast as he can so they can escape before the guards cum... to stop them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Xposting from the other thread because :lol: Twitter

anthonypants posted:

twitter can't fix harrassment because of ruby on rails https://twitter.com/ceejbot/status/965750766370668544

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ate all the Oreos posted:

i can't wait for the next mission impossible movie to involve a scene where tom cruise has to crypto jack off as fast as he can so they can escape before the guards cum... to stop them

don’t forget the teasla product placement!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't worry i'm sure the team of 3000 engineers or whatever will fix it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that the germany/france nazi filter exists should be proof that they're full of poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"engineers won't touch ruby in 2018 for $300k in RSUs" is at least an amusing excuse to take

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ruby can't scales strikes again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
so if it’s not a technical thing, it’s either a money thing, an ideological thing, or both.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe the twitter guys are all eve players and saw blaming the language working for ccp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which your tesla becomes unresponsive, plows into a median and you can't open the doors to escape the flaming wreck because someone managed to push a botcoin miner out to the vehicles via an OTA update

black mirror or 2q 2018, you decide

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

so if it’s not a technical thing, it’s either a money thing, an ideological thing, or both.

well twitter does have a few ideological problems so...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

maybe the twitter guys are all eve players and saw blaming the language working for ccp

ive never heard of stackless python anywhere else

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that is the most hilarious excuse, because even taking it at face value means your technical management is completely incompetent

hiring good people is hard everywhere, although in most cases this is just because managers are shockingly stupid about how important previous experience in their exact subject area is. slipping slowly into such a sea of technical debt that you can barely tread water with thousands of programmers is just... mmmhmmm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i could write about 20 lines of VCL to block nazis on some of the web's largest platforms and have it out in 90 seconds

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

in which your tesla becomes unresponsive, plows into a median and you can't open the doors to escape the flaming wreck because someone managed to push a botcoin miner out to the vehicles via an OTA update

black mirror or 2q 2018, you decide

just rip off the speaker grills like the manual says and pull the tiny wire to open the doors

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jonny 290 posted:

i could write about 20 lines of VCL to block nazis on some of the web's largest platforms and have it out in 90 seconds

all you have to do for twitter is set your browser's country code response to france or germany since they already have the "is_nazi" flag available in their user api.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rjmccall posted:

that is the most hilarious excuse, because even taking it at face value means your technical management is completely incompetent

hiring good people is hard everywhere, although in most cases this is just because managers are shockingly stupid about how important previous experience in their exact subject area is. slipping slowly into such a sea of technical debt that you can barely tread water with thousands of programmers is just... mmmhmmm

twitter has become the official mouthpiece of the president of the united states, and they only just managed to turn a profit, and only then by cutting their way there. i can hardly imagine a less competent management. like forget about the tech implementation side, what is twitter even doing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

destroy all social media

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

facebook runs on php so pretty much every "we can't because of the language" really has nothing on that.

i can't even begin to understand how a platform that already allows you to block users won't let you block certain other users. is that just meant to satiate techignorant board members?

"EVERY TIME WE HIT 'BAN' ON THE NAZI ACCOUNT IT JUST RE-ENABLES ITSELF, GOSH DARN RAILS!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DELETE CASCADE posted:

twitter has become the official mouthpiece of the president of the united states, and they only just managed to turn a profit, and only then by cutting their way there. i can hardly imagine a less competent management. like forget about the tech implementation side, what is twitter even doing

because they're too stupid to charge companies to tweet, flat out, just make anything that's supposed to be an official company twitter account cost money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Nice! posted:

all you have to do for twitter is set your browser's country code response to france or germany since they already have the "is_nazi" flag available in their user api.

yah i set that up and its quite nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's clearly b/c jack dorsey is a racist piece of poo poo

remember he follows all of the alt-right shitheads

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah after a certain point ockhams razor kicks in and the inescapable conclusion is that twitter is a-ok with nazis because twitter is run by nazis, simple as that

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It turns out that the "assume good faith" rule was installed by people who don't act in good faith, how about that?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that richard spencer is still allowed to have an active twitter account is the most damning thing

after making the news for being banned then unbanned

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

mrmcd posted:

Xposting from the other thread because :lol: Twitter

shaggared again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

multiple people high up in twitter management, up to and including jack, are themselves literally nazis

hth

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
turns out that trying to pivot from making a non-terrible transit app to Reinventing The Bus isn't the most lucrative idea

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17033412/citymapper-bus-route-uber-taxi-london

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 21, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimmy Carter posted:

turns out that trying to pivot from making a non-terrible transit app to Reinventing The Bus isn't the most lucrative idea

https://www.ft.com/content/6267b382-1664-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44

post a real article instead of paywall site

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

I have had 1.5-2 hour each way commutes twice in my life and never again

i drove out to hetch hetchy/o'shaughnessy and back recently. loving insane watching the commute direction barely crawling going all the way from sf out to loving lathrop and manteca and poo poo. idk how people do it. i was exhausted driving in the counter-direction with almost traffic

i got to walk around inside the dam which was cool. plus got to cum in sf's water supply so they are all now d rinking my cum

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

crabrock posted:

facebook runs on php so pretty much every "we can't because of the language" really has nothing on that.

i can't even begin to understand how a platform that already allows you to block users won't let you block certain other users. is that just meant to satiate techignorant board members?

"EVERY TIME WE HIT 'BAN' ON THE NAZI ACCOUNT IT JUST RE-ENABLES ITSELF, GOSH DARN RAILS!"

hip hop virtual machine

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

fishmech posted:

post a real article instead of paywall site

ugh, wasn’t paywalled when I was linked to it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17033412/citymapper-bus-route-uber-taxi-london

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

i drove out to hetch hetchy/o'shaughnessy and back recently. loving insane watching the commute direction barely crawling going all the way from sf out to loving lathrop and manteca and poo poo. idk how people do it. i was exhausted driving in the counter-direction with almost traffic

i got to walk around inside the dam which was cool. plus got to cum in sf's water supply so they are all now d rinking my cum

I know of a person that commutes from Manteca to SF

I’m also quite sure there are people commuting from Sac to SF

One of my friends coworkers commutes like 200+ miles each way every day

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I had a friend a couple years after the first bubble who did that Sac -> SF commute (in a car pool at least).

iirc he left the house at 4:30 am and got home after 10pm.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

holy loly yet another startup that tries to be a city bus, doesn't make it a year, and finally realizes why private intracity buses barely exist in much of the world if they don't have like government contracts to run their routes and the guarenteed cash that comes with it

also
"Citymapper’s buses were smaller than a traditional bus, so it was never really dealing with more than two dozen riders at a time. "
all these dumbass app buses do this poo poo! it's always a terrible idea! you need the volume!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

I know of a person that commutes from Manteca to SF

I’m also quite sure there are people commuting from Sac to SF

One of my friends coworkers commutes like 200+ miles each way every day

i have students who commute from sacramento and monterey

they are really serious about getting all their classes on the same days. one i think has class 9am-10pm two days a week with an hour for lunch and that's it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i used to work w/ a lady that commuted to sj from sac 4 days a week (worked from home on fridays)

she took the train and told me that she woke up at 3am and didn’t get home until after 8pm

she got divorced and now lives in la w/ her family

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

fishmech posted:

as far as that Swype thing goes, remember that Microsoft bought out SwiftKey like 2 years ago and will now bankroll them indefinitely

Which is unfortunate, because Microsoft already had the Windows Phone keyboard, which is entirely superior.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

Which is unfortunate, because Microsoft already had the Windows Phone keyboard, which is entirely superior.

i thought i got shaggar'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

seriously, swiftkey is so bad and keeps making me accidentally type racist-sounding poo poo (it autocorrected coke->come today also, to awful effect) yet it's miles better than the google keyboard. it's a sad state of affairs. no mobile device maker seems to have figured out keyboards. the surface pro's soft keyboard is nearly unusable with barely functional autocorrect.