Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact: if you stuff hay in a shipping container for export, it’s considered a dangerous good.

Dangerous goods: bad for money.

Does that change anything if it is for horses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ygpu9/us_looking_to_buy_a_boat_have_the_monthly_income/

(US) Looking to buy a boat , have the monthly income but cant prove it and get a loan posted:

Wells fargo turned down my loan becasue i just finished my first business year as self employed and honestly I was planning to claim a bit less than i made anyways . Is there a way I can get a loan with out a lender checking my taxes ?I have an ok credit score off 700+ Are there lender who wont check my taxes?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Lando Kardashian posted:

thanks to your advice goons I opened a margin account with my credit card and maxed the limit on a 3x leveraged fund on SE Asian horse hay futures!

It’s a La Niña season. Wetter than normal conditions across Asia, it’s a good year for hay crop! Sorry you lose all your money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being a farmer is BWM, from personal experience.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

Being a farmer is BWM, from personal experience.

I’ve heard it described as a hobby that, if you get lucky, will pay for itself.

As long as you don’t count your labor as a cost, at least.

Assuming you get lucky.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarkHorse posted:

I’ve heard it described as a hobby that, if you get lucky, will pay for itself.

As long as you don’t count your labor as a cost, at least.

Assuming you get lucky.

That's if you want some sort of happy chickens and organic small-scale produce farm. Real farms start with hundreds of acres of land and are run like businesses from start to finish. I come from a farming family and can speak from experience. Nothing like roasting a whole hog in a 55 gallon drum I tell you what.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

baquerd posted:

Nothing like roasting a whole hog in a 55 gallon drum I tell you what.

Your parents were lying, that was grandma!

(GWM tho, retirement homes are expensive)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This depravity probably belongs here:

“Blockchain” Stocks Completely Disintegrate

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/02/18/blockchain-stocks-completely-disintegrate/

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7yxwgm/is_it_possible_to_opt_out_of_paying_oasdi_has/ posted:

Is it possible to opt out of paying OASDI? Has anyone here done so?

I get paid 26 times a year and OASDI takes out $95 each check. I've been working at my job for 10 years now which adds up to $24,700. I still have another 30 years to go and that OASDI chunk adds up to $74,100. A whopping total of $98,800 when i retire at 60 and i'm only eligible to get $950 a month? I would have to live 104 months to get back what i put in. Is this not completely messed up? Is there something we as the people can do about this? I honestly feel like i'm getting scammed by my government. Also too will there even be such a thing as SSI when i retire in 30 years?

Living all the way to 70? THAT'S INCONVEIVABLE WHAT KIND OF SCAM IS THIS!!!!!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Droo posted:

Well, they do imply they're about 30, most 30-year-olds I've spoken to aren't terribly optimistic about surviving to average age.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact: if you stuff hay in a shipping container for export, it’s considered a dangerous good.

Dangerous goods: bad for money.
I didn't know that. Is it because it can catch fire easily or because it could be carrying invasive species?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Droo posted:

rofl @ a 30something just now catching on that they should assume social security will be gone by the time they retire

Where has this dude been for the last three decades, under a rock in a cave on Mars?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't know that. Is it because it can catch fire easily or because it could be carrying invasive species?

Yes.

Quick googling shows that ants are a potential problem in addition to, you know, the whole self-igniting issue.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trustworthy posted:

Your parents were lying, that was grandma!

(GWM tho, retirement homes are expensive)

No, that's literally what I go and do with my hog farming uncle every deer season.

Edit: wooosh, whoops

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Droo posted:

My father in law is a pastor and opted out of social security. Mother in law does cash teaching. Just realized he has a pension upon retirement last year, I’m sure it’s not much. Outside of that revelation, I’m not sure what his plan for surviving past retirement was im screwed right?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Droo posted:

He has a point that Social Security is probably a Boomer wealth transferring scam for people currently paying into it and especially High earners paying into it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NancyPants posted:

rofl @ a 30something just now catching on that they should assume social security will be gone by the time they retire

Where has this dude been for the last three decades, under a rock in a cave on Mars?

That's not what they said though, that's just political commentary you added.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

howdoesishotweb posted:

My father in law is a pastor and opted out of social security. Mother in law does cash teaching. Just realized he has a pension upon retirement last year, I’m sure it’s not much. Outside of that revelation, I’m not sure what his plan for surviving past retirement was im screwed right?

An appropriate response, from earlier in the thread:

Devian666 posted:

There are plenty of parents out there who don't know why their kids won't contact them.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/simpleliving/comments/7yyav5/suicide_as_a_form_of_retiring/ GWM?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Ah, the ol' not here for a long time, here for a good time approach

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Kinda related, a lot of people in the 1990's with HIV didn't bother saving for retirement because they thought they'd never live to old age. They were then left in a big jam when the effective antiretrovirals were invented. BWM but pretty understandable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

That's not what they said though, that's just political commentary you added.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7yxwgm/is_it_possible_to_opt_out_of_paying_oasdi_has/ posted:

Also too will there even be such a thing as SSI when i retire in 30 years?"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Horsebic: a way ride for the 🐴 obsessed to ride a horse without the cost of an actual horse. also a workout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4Uml-esxM

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NancyPants posted:

social security will be fine if we remove the regressive cap or apply it to rich people's capital gains and dividends

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7ye4z8/breaking_fucking_news/dug30i7/?sh=9e683a13&st=JDT1Q2Y1

quote:

The worst defcon of all. My spouse, whom I’m separating from, constantly reminds me that she gets half of all my coins. I think I’m going to convert them all to the bitconnect coin and let her have them all. I’ll just start over

This is the 2018 version of the beaniebabydivorce.jpg

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

social security will be fine if we remove the regressive cap or apply it to rich people's capital gains and dividends

Oh, when you put it that way

Yeah I'm not planning on seeing any social security when I retire.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yah you're right
serves me for not sleeping for 2 days
Jebus, that's a lot of not-sleep!

Lando Kardashian posted:

thanks to your advice goons I opened a margin account with my credit card and maxed the limit on a 3x leveraged fund on SE Asian horse hay futures!
DEFINITELY the right answer, A+!

Droo posted:

omgosh they have to live a whole 11yrs?! Granted, I wish I could keep the monies I am putting in as my ROI would be higher, but on the other hand I also support the general idea of OASID. I save in my 401k/IRA as if I won't get a penny, but it probably will amount to a few grand a year in FREE GOVERNMENT MONIES!!!! Maybe.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7z3at6/i_thought_i_was_paranoid_but_i_got_phished_read/?st=JDWW6ORH&sh=844d1149

Actually a really good cautionary tale:

quote:

I have different passwords for every website I log into, 2-factor authentication when possible; I thought I knew all the scams and could spot them a mile away. This one still got me.

I was meeting a friend at a bar. Two drinks in I got a call from someone identified by my phone as Wells Fargo. I'm fully aware this could be spoofed, but it did not raise alarm bells yet. I was at a bar I did not frequent and have gotten calls from my bank before on suspicious charges that were legit, so I answered expecting this to be the case.

The person I spoke with said they were with Wells Fargo and they've identified fraudulent charges on my account but they need to verify my identity before they can discuss details. They said they sent me a text message (via the cell number they just called, which is my first clue this is phishing). They asked me to read back to them the 6-digit number just texted to me to verify my ID. Being two drinks in, slightly expecting what this was about, I had zero alarm bells going off. My bad, this was stupid of me. I read the number to them. They suggested it timed out and I needed to read another number they texted to me. Minimal time had passed, a mild spidy sense was tingling, but I still was not concerned enough to ask questions and read them a second 6-digit code.

This person then read off 5 recent charges on my account, 4 of which I recognized as legit and a 5th that was a $1000 charge to a credit card I did not own. I immediately identified this as a fraudulent charge and they said "no prob dude, we'll freeze your card and send you a new one". They even gave me the last 4 on the card it was coming from. I was appeased enough to continue (sadly).

Finally, they said they sent me one final 6-digit code to confirm that they were crediting my account back with the $1000 fraudulent charge. I just needed to read off the final code they texted to me. At this point things seem weird to me but they got me at a good time. I was 2 drinks in, was interrupted from hanging with a close friend I hadn't seen in months and was outside trying desperately to avoid the loud noise inside the bar but still dealing with traffic noise outside. I just wanted to be done with this. I read them the final code and they thanked me and hung up.

At this point, I see why my phone had been vibrating constantly through this call. I had 4 emails from Wells Fargo. 1) Your user name has been reset, 2) your password has been reset, 3) Welcome to Zelle! an awesome $$$ forwarding service, 4) You've just forwarded $1000!!!!!

I called Wells Fargo via the number on the back of my card. After being on hold for 45 min trying to get the fraud department, I start to tell my story only to have the call drop (I'm pretty sure they hung up on me). I called back and was on hold for 1 hour 20 min (my account has been compromised >2 hours by this time) to get a second person. He told me this was a scam they've been dealing with for 3 months and I needed to go into a branch with 2 forms of ID to deal with it. There was nothing he could do tonight.

TDLR: Dude spoofed Wells Fargo when calling me on my cell, requested a reset of my user name, password and approval for $1000 transfer. I stupidly read off the confirmation numbers I received via text to him, he entered them into Wells Fargo website to approve all these requests. Wells Fargo has known their customers have been getting scammed for 3 months and didn't bother to warn anyone. I now have to go into a branch, hang my head and tell my shameful story to a person and beg for access to my account because someone else has control of it all night tonight.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Sorry there's so much here, but... there's so much here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7yzm3p/my_28f_girlfriend_36f_of_3_years_has_too_much/ posted:

My [28F] girlfriend [36F] of 3 years, has too much debt. Is this a reason to break up even if I love her?Relationships(self)

When I met my girlfriend three years ago, I was already aware that she had two mortgages.
She had taken on the mortgage for her childhood home that her father still lives in and they rent out rooms to cover the mortgage. The mortgage was never paid off the past 30 years due to her parents being heavy gamblers and has since been refinanced several times. She’s now taken over the mortgage and basically owns the house now but it’s a lot of work having to help her maintain the place and finding people to rent it to.
She also owns condo that she purchased a few years ago. She rents out this condo to a tenant to cover the rent and gets a couple hundred dollars extra per month. (I don’t think all this is worth it because of the rental income she has to report but I haven’t really looked too much into this.)
We recently broke up due to other issues but I’m trying to dissect the issues out to try to fix our relationship. I’m wondering if, based on her mortgage debt alone, whether this is way too much debt and I should just give up, or is it not crazy to stay with her?
When we broke up, she decided to take on more debt and put down 10% for a preconstruction condo. She had to refinance her existing condo mortgage to do this. (All I can see is more debt 😱). We’re in the stage of trying to repair our relationship and her plan is to sell her first condo so we can buy a place together. However, she wants to keep the preconstruction condo, so she’d have to get another mortgage.
Basically, if I decide to stay with her, we’ll share one mortgage for our place together, and she’ll have two other mortgages for her “investment properties” on the side. Is this too much risk for me?? She keeps telling me if we love each other then money shouldn’t be a problem but this is bugging me so much. Please help.
Note: we don’t live in any of the properties and are renting another condo currently.
Update: My girlfriend is adamant about her investment properties and thinks that since it’s her money, she should be able to use it how she wants. (Even taking on another mortgage). She knows I’m uncomfortable with this.
When I met her, she was in $30k credit card debt and I had to lend her my savings to pay it off. Now she still owes me $7k and if we break up I doubt she has the money to pay it back to me. Which is fine because she needs it more than me.
My life with her was a pay cheque to pay cheque lifestyle. And I’m too tired to live that. I feel like I’d be financially free without her. But that sounds horrible. I am so torn. She doesn’t want to sell the investment property. I just want to be debt free with her.
We have to spend our weekends going to her house to maintain it (she does Airbnb so there’s lots of cleaning up after guests and I get nothing out of it, other than she makes money to pay me back).
TLDR: my girlfriend has two mortgages and wants to take on a third mortgage with me. Should I be running for the hills or is this normal/manageable? What are the risks to me??? I love her but her mortgage debts are scary.

quote:

I do her taxes (am in school to become an accountant, not a pro at financial advising since it’s not the same) and I see her deliberately making purchases for the house in order to get a write off. Large purchases too like kitchen renovations and new windows, etc)

quote:

Didn’t mention this in the post but we currently don’t live in the same state. She wants me to quit my job and move to her state. But she’ll be quitting her job in September to do a one year Masters program. So I have to frantically find a job to support us.

quote:

And once she’s done, she’ll be in a brand new career at 38 years old so I’m guessing it’ll be entry level salary, if she can find a job right away or at all.

quote:

She and her brother are on the deed but his name is there because she couldn’t have her name by herself. He’s not in the picture. But if she ever sells the house, she’s planning to split the proceeds with her three other siblings even though she’s the only one pouring her money into the renovations and maintenance and bills. She doesn’t want to sell it, but if she does, that’s what she wants.

quote:

I paid her debt because she made me feel like we couldn’t continue the relationship if I didn’t lend her money. (This would be the “other reasons” why I broke up with her. But I don’t want to focus on that because this question is supposed to focus on the mortgage debt alone. It was not a healthy relationship but I’m trying to fix it)

quote:

ut the problem is that she IS older therefore "she knows better than me" and that this is how the rich people do it. She's not afraid that she won't be able to retire...I think she thinks that those properties will eventually give her a steady stream of income to help her retire. Maybe that's true, I have no idea, but right now it seems risky.

quote:

I've been hoping and praying that she'd sell that house. But her dad lives in it and she doesn't want him going anywhere or living anywhere else. He's currently there to help make the beds for Airbnb to pay for the house. Even though I swear, not even one-third of the mortgage is paid off after 30 years, it's been refinanced so many times.
She has poured in thousands of her own income to fix that sucker up and since it's a childhood home, she wants to keep it for memories sake. And IMO, since a lot of the work to fix it up was DIY, it's imperfect. You can tell that a professional contractor wasn't called to work on it. I honestly don't know who would buy it unless they wanted to buy a fixer-upper or unless they were okay with crooked crown-moulding or crooked backsplash in the kitchen, for example. And she's proud of her work too. I've helped her install toilets, and lighting, etc. We've poured a lot of labour into that place. So she's emotionally invested in it. Suggesting to sell it would be equivalent to suggesting cutting her arm off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Propaniac posted:

Superb open-class BWM. Bravo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

Kinda related, a lot of people in the 1990's with HIV didn't bother saving for retirement because they thought they'd never live to old age. They were then left in a big jam when the effective antiretrovirals were invented. BWM but pretty understandable.

The problem with going out in a blaze of glory is you really need to commit to the gimmick.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

Since AIDS disproportionately impacts gay people and until recently they were mostly barred from adopting children they at least didn't have children eating up all their money. So that's something? Maybe?

They don't have kids to support them in their old age either, but I'm getting the impression straight people who hosed up their retirement may not be getting much help from their children either.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Propaniac posted:

That guy is an idiot to even be asking this question. Dumb enough to have tolerated it for so long. Even dumber to have hesitated, step back and think, and yet still think that it might be a good idea after all.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Propaniac posted:

Run. Just run. Never look back. Just run.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Propaniac posted:

since it’s her money, she should be able to use it how she wants

She has no money :psyduck:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
:sever:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

John Smith posted:

That guy is an idiot to even be asking this question. Dumb enough to have tolerated it for so long. Even dumber to have hesitated, step back and think, and yet still think that it might be a good idea after all.

Pretty sure it's a chick, but yeah. :sever: your out-of-state uncomfortable relationship.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The worst part of that horrible page is the OP posting:

quote:

Yeah. I wish it was that simple but this Airbnb house is about an hour drive away. She doesn’t like to leave me by myself so I have to go along with her. Whenever I try to tell her to go alone, we get into huge arguments about how I don’t want to see her dad that lives there. So I have given up and just go along, and then end up having to help with the Airbnb anyway.

It’s a full time one year Masters program. I think the job prospects look good but it’s hard to say. She’d be in a new career with absolutely no prior experience in the field. I really don’t know.

And the reason I’m worried about her mortgages is because she keeps refinancing. It’s never going to be paid off. The house has been refinanced many times for thirty years and it’s not even one third paid off at this point. The condo is doing better I guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7yjglo/wife_cosigned_for_a_friends_car_under_the/

Wife co-signed for a friends car under the pretense she’d be taken off the lease in a year and the car would be insured. Friend didn’t take her off, stopped insurance, and totaled car. Anything we can do?

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago * by davidoftheyear

quote:

Long story, November 2016 my wife agreed to co-sign a car loan for a friend (I’ll refer to as AB). Against my better judgement, they had an agreement that she’d only co-sign as long as she wasn’t the primary lender, it must be re-financed in a year, she’d be taken off the loan, and it would be insured.

October 2017, we started getting calls that AB hadn’t paid her bill in a month and that my wife was the primary owner. We talked to her, got her to pay, and again tell her that the deal was to refinance and take my wife off the loan. She agrees and tells us she’ll get it done.

After months, we continually started receiving calls from the loan company asking for my wife to pay the bill. We find out she still hasn’t refinanced or made any effort to take my wife off the loan.

This past weekend, AB’s friend was driving AB around and wrecked the car. Rear ended someone and destroyed the front end. This is when we find out that she stopped paying her insurance months ago because it got raised due to a technical error that AB didn’t deem worthy of resolving. She still hadn’t refinanced and taken my wife off the loan. She claims she’ll continue to make payments but seeing as she hasn’t been making her payments as is, were gonna be stuck with this car loan and wrecked car.

So two questions, is there anything we can do about the loan and AB? Is my wife gonna be responsible for any damage to the other vehicle/person?

We’re calling a lawyer first thing tomorrow morning but I wanted to check here first.

EDIT: is there anyway for the court to remove my wife from the loan leaving AB with it?

Never cosign for anything. Never cosign for anything. Never cosign for anything.

Especially not your dumb friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My friend had this show up in his inbox today.