Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Back in my day, everybody was voiced by Frank Welker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This video made me realise that Jim Cummings has three basic voices and varies them with different accents: 1. Tigger; 2. Pooh Bear; and 3. Darkwing Duck. :D

(But seriously, I think Jim Cummings is great.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

posted this in the other thread, but I will never understand why cel-shaded CG with an artificially lowered framerate is a thing. It still won't pass for actual 2D anime, so you might as well keep the framerate up and take advantage of the strengths of the CG medium.

It's how all animators in Japan are taught. Their whole production process relies on animating on 2s and 3s.

For comparison, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl-ZBNmAokI is CG anime done on 1s vs 3s. The one on the right has less frames, but looks way better than the one on 1s because they just don't have time to polish full-frame-rate animation. If the frame rate was higher it would just look floaty and lifeless.

[

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

This video made me realise that Jim Cummings has three basic voices and varies them with different accents: 1. Tigger; 2. Pooh Bear; and 3. Darkwing Duck. :D

(But seriously, I think Jim Cummings is great.)
I'd say his Peg Leg Pete is also a pretty distinct well he goes into.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smdh you guys forgot Maurice Lamarche aka the bad guy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My kid discovered Teen Titans Go. That show is just good dumb fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There's a movie coming out this summer!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scaramouche posted:

Smdh you guys forgot Maurice Lamarche aka the bad guy

I desperately miss Tony Jay.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jordan7hm posted:

My kid discovered Teen Titans Go. That show is just good dumb fun.

I watched a few joke compilations of the show on youtube, which were actually pretty good. Whoever does the jokes in that show knows something about timing. Then I watched a whole episode, and hmm, well, the joke guy has something.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure who voiced Harley in Batman and Harley Quinn, but she was a breath of fresh air over Tara.

Her constant shrieking to try and emulate Arleen Sorkin is incredibly obnoxious and very hard on the ears.

Tara can do a good voice over, as seen in Raven. It's just that she seems to like doing the squeeky Bubbles voice.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's because some of those characters have become very popular so she gets hired to do those types of voices and that's the whole point of her job. It's not like she is strong arming the directors into letting her do those voices.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nolan North gave an interview a couple of years after Uncharted and said that he wanted to do more varied stuff but more often than not he would just get told to "do the Nathan Drake voice" on projects.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yep. Type casting is a very real thing. Actors don't cast themselves nor direct themselves (usually). So when you see someone give the same or similar performance over and over, understand that the people who pay them told them to do that, more than likely.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ask Steve Blum who's been doing the spike Spiegel voice for a decade.

He also voiced Guilemon in Digimon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nolan north also doesn't really have any range. Even when he does bit side characters with no specific inflection you can instantly pick him out. The Nathan Drake voice is essentially Nolan north

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ToastyPotato posted:

It's because some of those characters have become very popular so she gets hired to do those types of voices and that's the whole point of her job. It's not like she is strong arming the directors into letting her do those voices.

She was on a youtube show called Table Top, and she was constantly doing the Bubbles voice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Yep. Type casting is a very real thing. Actors don't cast themselves nor direct themselves (usually). So when you see someone give the same or similar performance over and over, understand that the people who pay them told them to do that, more than likely.

On the other hand, Mark Hamill is basically a dial with “Luke Skywalker” at one end and “The Joker” on the other. Then there’s a “manic/sullen” toggle switch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

business hammocks posted:

On the other hand, Mark Hamill is basically a dial with “Luke Skywalker” at one end and “The Joker” on the other. Then there’s a “manic/sullen” toggle switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

where does Firelord Ozai fit on this scale

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anora posted:

She was on a youtube show called Table Top, and she was constantly doing the Bubbles voice.

I never said she hates doing it. I'm just saying that voice acting is a job that they get paid to do, and that they aren't their own bosses. If they are doing a voice on a show or movie, it is most likely because they were directed to do it, not because they insisted upon it. Basically there is a huge difference between "they always do the same voice because they like doing it" and "they always do the same voice because the producers, casting directors, and directors want them to." Doing the popular voice when they make appearances on other stuff or at panels at conventions doesn't matter. It's nice when an actor can embrace the popularity of certain roles, imo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

where does Firelord Ozai fit on this scale

Sullen and dialed 3/4 of the way to Joker. This isn’t meant to insult Mark Hamill. Every role can be perfected by finding the right point on that dial.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've never held it against a voice actor if they "only" have a couple voices. Their vocal cords are their vocal cords. It's much better that they know how to act rather than have a ton of different voices. If they do, more power to them obviously because it can help them stay employed, but I don't expect everyone to be Mel Blanc.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Steve Blum used to have a voice reel on his personal website, and it was incredibly versatile, with several pretty good impressions of a lot of characters, like Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. Pretty sure we've all heard him a lot more than we think we have; it's just that the Spike voice really sticks out at this point because of how often he uses it.

On the other hand there's Cam Clarke, whose voice I can pick out every single time. It was really jarring hearing his voice come out of Simba in Kingdom Hearts.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I think when you talk about his villain/Joker voice, there is also a level of rasp that he can use to modify it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, the first season of Marvel's Spider-man ended. It was very, very nice. The focus on Peter and Harry's relationship lead to a very satisfying season finale.
Only complaints I got is that Miles felt underused in the last stretch, like the story was made for a solo Spider-man, so excused were needed to keep him from solving the issues. On the same vein, Gwen and Anya don't get to keep powers outside of Spider-Island.

Was so happy that Harry and Peter got a happy ending. And I am really excited for their dynamic in S2. It will most likely be played down a lot, but it should be fun for a few scenes at least.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, the first season of Marvel's Spider-man ended. It was very, very nice. The focus on Peter and Harry's relationship lead to a very satisfying season finale.
Only complaints I got is that Miles felt underused in the last stretch, like the story was made for a solo Spider-man, so excused were needed to keep him from solving the issues. On the same vein, Gwen and Anya don't get to keep powers outside of Spider-Island.

Was so happy that Harry and Peter got a happy ending. And I am really excited for their dynamic in S2. It will most likely be played down a lot, but it should be fun for a few scenes at least.

I agree with this. I hated Harry throughout the season because he was so unjustified in his terrible opinions, that the Norman manipulation stuff didn't account for nearly enough in my view, but the ending was solid. The season dragged on occasion with some slow arcs (Spider-Island) but the one episode that really stood out to me was the Screwball one. I hope we get more episodes focused on less well-known characters in S2. White Rabbit could be fun.

I'm guessing that Gwen and Anya are gonna have powering up arcs next season, whether together or separately, but they really do need to involve Miles more or come up with better ways to have him be away. I can't decide if Anya's comic book origin is easily adaptable for an all-ages cartoon or wildly inappropriate? (Doesn't mystical stuff in kids' shows make some people in America squirrelly?) I also wonder if they are wary of having too many spider-people after the Web Warriors aspect of Ultimate, but then they included all these characters so this show is kind of confounding.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Metalshark posted:

I agree with this. I hated Harry throughout the season because he was so unjustified in his terrible opinions, that the Norman manipulation stuff didn't account for nearly enough in my view, but the ending was solid. The season dragged on occasion with some slow arcs (Spider-Island) but the one episode that really stood out to me was the Screwball one. I hope we get more episodes focused on less well-known characters in S2. White Rabbit could be fun.

I'm guessing that Gwen and Anya are gonna have powering up arcs next season, whether together or separately, but they really do need to involve Miles more or come up with better ways to have him be away. I can't decide if Anya's comic book origin is easily adaptable for an all-ages cartoon or wildly inappropriate? (Doesn't mystical stuff in kids' shows make some people in America squirrelly?) I also wonder if they are wary of having too many spider-people after the Web Warriors aspect of Ultimate, but then they included all these characters so this show is kind of confounding.

Tons of kids shows involve magic and mysticism. I'd be surprised if there weren't petitions to cancel Adventure Time, to be honest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think once the mormons lost the fight against Harry Potter, the floodgates were open permanently.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
soooooo

https://twitter.com/io9/status/966089110774603777

quote:

Ushering the fan-favorite book to television are black-ish and grown-ish executive producers Laurence Fishburne and Helen Sugland.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm surprised it's taken them this long to develop a Lunella centered cartoon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Still stunned they've never made a Power Pack cartoon

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TwoPair posted:

Still stunned they've never made a Power Pack cartoon

Wasn't there a TV movie? Live-action, I think, but still.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

howe_sam posted:

I'm surprised it's taken them this long to develop a Lunella centered cartoon.

They were waiting for Black Panther to kick the door down.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

A tv show with a large dinosaur, that will go over well with standard tv budgeting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ToastyPotato posted:

A tv show with a large dinosaur, that will go over well with standard tv budgeting.

It's animation :confused:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I got confused. I honestly thought I had clicked into the live action thread. WOOPS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Do you know how much it costs to hire people who can do perspective?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lurdiak posted:

Do you know how much it costs to hire people who can do perspective?

And don't forget all the feathers!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I'm marathoning the new Spidey cartoon. It's a different take, but I mostly like it. Everything is a bit inter-connected though - like the Jackal being Gwen's uncle.

It does make me miss Earth's Mightiest Heroes though. While I don't really like Avengers Assemble, I do like the shared universe it had with the other shows - which this new Spidey show doesn't. :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Anora posted:

I watched a few joke compilations of the show on youtube, which were actually pretty good. Whoever does the jokes in that show knows something about timing. Then I watched a whole episode, and hmm, well, the joke guy has something.

Tara can do a good voice over, as seen in Raven. It's just that she seems to like doing the squeeky Bubbles voice.

She hasn't been able to do the Bubbles voice right since at least 2002

Also bought Gotham By Gaslight today, and overall a decent enough movie, and while the execution of the twist was pretty good, it's kinda nonsensical in how it relates to how said character was portrayed earlier in the movie, also it kinda had a fairly blatant non-ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gotham by Gaslight is a sad reminder of how far the animation quality has fallen in DC movies. The backgrounds are fine but the way the characters move is just ugh.

Batman Ninja will be a breath of fresh air with a Japanese studio behind it.