Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I love when the 'lol explosions' people in this thread are confronted by actual chemistry. :allears:

To be fair some of it is into the quantum side of physical chemistry and some of that confuses the hell out of me and I'm a chemist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

packetmantis posted:

I love when the 'lol explosions' people in this thread are confronted by actual chemistry. :allears:
I'm just a political science/communications major who took Calc II and a bunch of science classes (and was reminded by my chem professor that Niels Bohr set a record for broken glassware in college ... and I might have blown up a crucible on one occasion and melted my fingerprints off on another.) Learning new things is awesome and the more real scientists who post here and share their knowledge, the better for all of us.

Speaking of chemistry, if I order a bottle of dichloromethane to clean PLA off of 3D printer heads after ... incidents ... it looks like I should use vinyl gloves and do it in a fume hood, is that sufficient?

edit: with goggles, of course.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I'm just a political science/communications major who took Calc II and a bunch of science classes (and was reminded by my chem professor that Niels Bohr set a record for broken glassware in college ... and I might have blown up a crucible on one occasion and melted my fingerprints off on another.) Learning new things is awesome and the more real scientists who post here and share their knowledge, the better for all of us.

Speaking of chemistry, if I order a bottle of dichloromethane to clean PLA off of 3D printer heads after ... incidents ... it looks like I should use vinyl gloves and do it in a fume hood, is that sufficient?

I would search up any and all instructions instead of what some jackasses on an internet forum will say. Especially since how careful you need to be depends on how you're using it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If they're all-metal heads, I just torch PLA out. ABS tends to turn black and carbonize even with the heat of a MAPP-Pro (not MAPP, that was discontinued in 2008 :argh:) torch, but PLA seems to burn cleanly away.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GWBBQ posted:

Read through this. Looks thorough enough for me.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I'd probably avoid DCM if at all possible without proper lab conditions.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
PYF Dangerous Chemistry: edit: with goggles, of course.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolrah posted:

A few years earlier the truck in your photo burned down the ad board behind the staging area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze15XNTUT58

The only hosed up thing about the video is the USAUSAUSAUSA! followed by the Phantom of the Opera.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Want to play pranks with explosives? Nitrogen Triiodide! Blow famous chemist fingers off? Nitrogen Triiodide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JME_He6PH4M

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I want to drink with that dude.

"So this one time we made Cyclosarin just for shits and grins. The MoD confiscated the entire laboratory but we kept some in a spray bottle that we've misplaced. Oh well, by now it'd likely be only about as deadly as Soman." :science:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Intoluene posted:

You mean like the fume hood he mentioned?

The quantities GWBBQ will be using are miniscule and a fume hood should be fine. I used to add ~40 gallons a week to our degreaser to make up for evaporative losses going up the exhaust system. Well, mostly going up the exhaust system: it will be extremely obvious if the fume hood isn't up to the task because there's no mistaking that icy-hot feeling when you catch a good whiff.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Intoluene posted:

Just proper ventilation, or being out in the open.
DCM isnt at all that bad.

The smell makes you nauseated eventually tho, especially when its in paint stripper gorm with toluene and THF and other solvents.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Try not to work alone with any solvent that could theoretically overpower you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oohhboy posted:

Want to play pranks with explosives? Nitrogen Triiodide! Blow famous chemist fingers off? Nitrogen Triiodide!

Nitrogen trichloride: even worse.
Nitrogen trifluoride: Totally non-explosive and stable.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

That’s because fluorine is holding nitrogen at gunpoint, and nobody else wants to break it up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

OK I'm now moving slowly away from the glass of water on my desk.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyone that has come in contact with H2O has died too!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kinetica posted:

Anyone that has come in contact with H2O has died too!

But if you don't come into contact with DHMO, you'll be dead within ~3 days! That drat oxidane has wormed its way to everything, and everyone is addicted!!!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Too late, that glass of water has a knife!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phanatic posted:

Nitrogen trifluoride is a greenhouse gas though

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arglebargle III posted:

One day at college, we were waiting on one of our friends to finish his o.chem lab so we could go to a party. We waited until he was an hour overdue, then went to the lab to retrieve him. Upon opening the door, visible shimmer lines came out and the smell of ether was powerful. Through the shimmer and haze, we could see our friend slowly working on something.
"DUDE," we yelled, "GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE! ETHER!"
"no..... guys...... i..... just..... need..... to...... finish..... this..... real..... quick....." He was talking and moving in cartoonishly slow motion.
Someone familiar with the o.chem lab ran to the 35l bottle of ether, put the top back on, then turned all the fume hoods on as he grabbed our friend on his way out the door.

We dragged him, slowly protesting, to the party. About twenty minutes later, he's got a raging headache and asked us what he was doing, where he was, and had he finished his lab? We explained what happened and he thanked us profusely for not letting him die in the o.chem lab.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In my university it was completely against the rules to be in a chemistry research wing on your own. Working late was allowed but only if someone else also stayed around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No but seriously, you want to avoid any situation where you'll be okay, as long as something weird doesn't happen. You want to be okay even if the bad thing happens.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

One day at college, we were waiting on one of our friends to finish his o.chem lab so we could go to a party. We waited until he was an hour overdue, then went to the lab to retrieve him. Upon opening the door, visible shimmer lines came out and the smell of ether was powerful. Through the shimmer and haze, we could see our friend slowly working on something.
"DUDE," we yelled, "GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE! ETHER!"
"no..... guys...... i..... just..... need..... to...... finish..... this..... real..... quick....." He was talking and moving in cartoonishly slow motion.
Someone familiar with the o.chem lab ran to the 35l bottle of ether, put the top back on, then turned all the fume hoods on as he grabbed our friend on his way out the door.

We dragged him, slowly protesting, to the party. About twenty minutes later, he's got a raging headache and asked us what he was doing, where he was, and had he finished his lab? We explained what happened and he thanked us profusely for not letting him die in the o.chem lab.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Yes, they’re lucky he didn’t don his topcoat and hat and start slicing up ladies of the evening with his straight razor.

Or is that purveyors of those perfidious opium dens? I never can keep the fiends sorted.

e: kant spel

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Feb 21, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Oxygen makes things burn, ClF3 ... is like the morphine to O2's aspirin, if I may make an analogy. Or the sea to the pond, whatever. Is there a material that is oxidixed at STP Earth atmosphere that compares to ClF3 but from the other side?

Guess I answered my own question there, but not energy-wise. That poo poo was briefly considered for rocket fuel, ClF3 BURNS ASBESTOS. AND WATER. AND SAND. AND YOU. AND STEEL IS RIGHT OUT. AND BASICALLY ANYTHING YOU CONSIDER ALREADY BURNT TO ALL HELL THAT poo poo STARTS A ROARING INFERNO WITH

Like a magnesium fire will get hot enough to split the water, but a metal-halogen fire is just "stand back and watch it burn" and ClF3 has two halogens very shakily holding hands at the ball. Not sure what analogy I'm getting at, but ... There's a boom in there somewhere.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Feb 21, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tunicate posted:

:golfclap:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Tunicate posted:

Too late, that glass of water has a knife!
The Something Awful Forums › Main › Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › PYF Dangerous Chemistry: Too late, that glass of water has a knife!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Delivery McGee posted:

Like a magnesium fire will get hot enough to split the water, but a metal-halogen fire is just "stand back and watch it burn" and ClF3 has two halogens very shakily holding hands at the ball. Not sure what analogy I'm getting at, but ... There's a boom in there somewhere.

ClF3 is two rival schoolyard bullies locking arms in an uneasy truce.

"Red Rover, Red Rover, we call everyone over."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If they're all-metal heads, I just torch PLA out. ABS tends to turn black and carbonize even with the heat of a MAPP-Pro (not MAPP, that was discontinued in 2008 :argh:) torch, but PLA seems to burn cleanly away.

But you can dissolve ABS with acetone, which is much less dangerous than dichloromethane.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

:perfect:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Zemyla posted:

But you can dissolve ABS with acetone, which is much less dangerous than dichloromethane.

Yeah, you can dissolve the ABS itself with acetone. A lot of what clogs the 3D printer nozzles isn't the ABS itself, but dyes and other not-plastic contaminants that are in the filament itself that get stuck in the nozzle innards.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Have you watched the Netflix adaption of Altered Carbon?

A TV adaption of any of the culture series books will be terrible.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Altered Carbon was good and fun even if it didn't live up to the grandiose dreams of people who read the book and wanted an exact remake in a new medium, regardless of how well certain bits would translate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I haven't read the book but Altered Cabrón was great and I would like to see more.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

Altered Carbon was good and fun even if it didn't live up to the grandiose dreams of people who read the book and wanted an exact remake in a new medium, regardless of how well certain bits would translate.

Lol, “wanted an exact remake”. I’m cool with adaptations, but not when they go all opposite-day on some of the foundational elements of the books.

That being said, it’s a good show and you should watch it. There was some very cool stuff they did story-wise that wasn’t in the books. Personally I felt it fell short of greatness due to being completely tone-deaf to novel.

But hey, go read the TVIV thread if you’re interested in pointless wankery over it. Including the dumbest debate of existential dread in history.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think a Consider Phlebas adaptation would have a lot of grotesque and horrible stuff in it and not be very representative of the books or get at what makes people like the setting.

So they'll definitely do it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBCZcPEzDM

Delivery McGee posted:

Oxygen makes things burn, ClF3 ... is like the morphine to O2's aspirin, if I may make an analogy. Or the sea to the pond, whatever. Is there a material that is oxidixed at STP Earth atmosphere that compares to ClF3 but from the other side?

Lithium aluminum hydride? What's the strongest reducing agent going?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zemyla posted:

I would be using acetone if I was printing with ABS. I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rozzbot posted:

Have you watched the Netflix adaption of Altered Carbon?

A TV adaption of any of the culture series books will be terrible.

I know the Venn diagram of posters in this thread and the Spaceflight thread is a circle but this is the first time I've seen a discussion from one step straight to the other with no prompting or context.