Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just finished reading through what there is of Forge of Destiny, and it’s really good. It almost doesn’t fit in this thread because it’s not garbage enough. Luckily it has a bunch of chucklefucks voting for what the mc does so I guess that qualifies it.

I highly recommend everyone go read it right now.

Yeah, it's basically everything I would ever want out of this sort of story; cool fights, some interesting plot, and a feeling of progression without the protagonist being overpowered to the point where it starts to feel absurd. The protagonist being a girl who doesn't have any sort of harem (or at least one that is meant to be fan service) also helps to avert one of the big problems with a lot of these stories. It's just a heck of a lot of fun to read.

As I've said in past posts, the biggest thing that makes it stand out relative to other fighting/power fantasy WNs is the fact that the plot and characters don't revolve around the protagonist. She's involved in things, but there are other characters who are objectively far more relevant than she is, and they all have their own feelings and objectives that don't necessarily involve the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like some parts of fod, but i don't really see what tying it to dice rolls accomplishes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like some parts of fod, but i don't really see what tying it to dice rolls accomplishes.

It gives some random aspect to the events that occur, which can lead to some kind of interesting things happening.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So if we are recommending quests that play out like webnovels, then I have to recommend Digimon World: Infamy.

It does some interesting stuff based on the fact that it combines element of every single storyline from the varied digimon games, anime and manga, and shifts more into politics amid a 3-way war as the Main Character, a BlackAgumon named Coal, grows in power and importance and joins a side.

Of course, since digimon can reincarnate and are made of data, the author makes an excellent use of that fact to Kill off Coal thanks to descisions made, and restart the quest in a new thread playing as Coals reincarnation years later.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/digimon-world-infamy.491008/

I can give more spoiler info if you want.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

daoist's guide to dating:

find a legendary perfect fairy of whom songs are written. other kinds of women probably don't exist, though.
rape them.
suck out all their value now that they are in love with you, then either ignore them or mourn their tragic death for your sake.
repeat.

you didn't even murder her entire family when they came to rescue her, what kind of lovely daoist are you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

this old man observes from afar with divine sense as my clothes and hair flap silently as if there were wind

behind him a second, more powerful old man observes the first one as his clothes flap at rapid speeds

behind that old man, another old man watches from an entirely different dimension and his robes whip around like he's standing in a wind tunnel

on another plane of existence, a fourth old man watches the third, he is literally a tornado with a beard

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ytlaya posted:

It gives some random aspect to the events that occur, which can lead to some kind of interesting things happening.

Is this some kind of sick burn on the author? They'd be incapable of writing anything interesting without the dice? :thunk:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the following series of posts seem like they took a long time to write, but in truth they happened in the span of a few breaths

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

i disagree. no matter how the dice rolls play out or what choices are voted for, she still gets more and better stuff which takes the form of more and better dice.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

i disagree. no matter how the dice rolls play out or what choices are voted for, she still gets more and better stuff which takes the form of more and better dice.

While there is a few exceptions to this, Ling Qi does get quite lucky.

However, dice is still important for those of us who likes manipulating odds and mechanics. That the actual benefits might be more narrative than mechanics doesn't actually change that I don't consider it superfluous at all, and 'stacking the odds' is something fun.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

The dice rolls make it more of an interactive game, and less of a straight webnovel. It's just for fun.

An example of when the dice rolls really mattered is when Ling Qi was trying to explain her feelings to her snake buddy, but totally hosed her social rolls and the thread spent months afterwards trying to recover.

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 21, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jester Mcgee posted:

The dice rolls make it more of an interactive game, and less of a straight webnovel. It's just for fun.

An example of when the dice rolls really mattered is when Ling Qi was trying to explain her feelings to her snake buddy, but totally hosed her social rolls and the thread spent months afterwards trying to recover.

and then they went back for another try later on, but the rolls were successful that time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jester Mcgee posted:

and then they went back for another try later on, but the rolls were successful that time.

that sounds insanely tedious

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It also gives a "game" aspect where users can better prepare for different situations. The author may have her come out ahead in the end, but the path there can vary. And not all choices are related to combat/progression; readers can also choose who to spend time with. The most obvious example is giving the choice of who to room with early on; if players had chosen Sun Liling the story would have been dramatically different. If anything, I think it's impressive the author can adapt to various decisions people make and still have things flow smoothly.

If it helps, you can think of it like a CYOA book. The author comes up with the setting, characters (and their objectives), and the major events that will transpire and let's the readers decide how to navigate that setting. Things are written so that it's unlikely Ling Qi will die or face any major setbacks, but the extent to which she benefits from different situations (and the situations she encounters) varies depending upon player choices.

For my part, I don't engage with the decision making at all. I just read the story, which manages to flow quite well (or at least better than most other WNs).

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Maybe it doesn't bother me because I came to it already being a fan of the CYOAs here. So I guess I'm not comparing it to other WNs as much. The voting and semi random results are part of the fun.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The problem with a forum based CYOA is SA perfected the genre years ago.

http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/sword-elf-cyoa/ :nws:
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/sword-elf-ending/ :nws:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A 'problem' how?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

don't all SA forum cyoas abruptly end with the protagonist announcing their sexuality and then killing themselves

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

owl milk posted:

I have to recommend White Collar Cultivator, it's a quest that's pretty much just starting that's about a guy who was mistakenly kidnapped by a cultivator organization and has to work as a paper-pusher. The mortal work ethic is way stronger than that of cultivators (who would much rather cultivate than do their job) so he gets noticed pretty quickly. Seems like it'll have some interesting things to do with clichés in the genre ('righteous anger' and killing tons of people and all that) later on if what's been hinted at is any indication. Uhhh the author writes tons and tons of words per update, the most recent update being the same as a certain vegetable man's meme in word length, but although I skimmed over some stuff like the book reports it doesn't feel like padding as much as either worldbuilding, foreshadowing, or a tiny bit of plot.

Another recommendation for A Will Eternal as well. Pretty sure someone on here said this already but the main character is essentially the main character from Kung Fu Hustle except even more shameless and it's hilarious.

I don't know if it's because I'm a boring person, but I love stories that are a little behind the scenes like this. Yes, you've got a lot of very exciting Kung Fu wizards, but what I really want to know is what their accountant's life is like.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't know if it's because I'm a boring person, but I love stories that are a little behind the scenes like this. Yes, you've got a lot of very exciting Kung Fu wizards, but what I really want to know is what their accountant's life is like.

I want to see more about the lives of xianxia villagers

"god drat it the blood death sect has turned the sun into a magical treasure and flew off with it and now it's cold as poo poo"

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

I want to see more about the lives of xianxia villagers

"god drat it the blood death sect has turned the sun into a magical treasure and flew off with it and now it's cold as poo poo"

The life and times of a Xianxia accountant trying to keep track of everything in his sect and cultivating for the sole reason of finally being able to audit the core inner circle cultivator treasure vault, which has never been audited or organized.

'Divine Excel Method!'

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

The life and times of a Xianxia accountant trying to keep track of everything in his sect and cultivating for the sole reason of finally being able to audit the core inner circle cultivator treasure vault, which has never been audited or organized.

'Divine Excel Method!'

some rear end in a top hat in a robe melted my dog and turned it into a glowing orb then ran away shouting about heaven-defying luck

why did we settle this village on a giant magical turtle

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pharohman777 posted:

So if we are recommending quests that play out like webnovels, then I have to recommend Digimon World: Infamy.

It does some interesting stuff based on the fact that it combines element of every single storyline from the varied digimon games, anime and manga, and shifts more into politics amid a 3-way war as the Main Character, a BlackAgumon named Coal, grows in power and importance and joins a side.

Of course, since digimon can reincarnate and are made of data, the author makes an excellent use of that fact to Kill off Coal thanks to descisions made, and restart the quest in a new thread playing as Coals reincarnation years later.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/digimon-world-infamy.491008/

I can give more spoiler info if you want.

Christ, I wasn't expecting this to go into full 'This is the author's fetish and they really really want you to know' territory.

Seriously they outright linked to (and possibly posted? Almost all the image embeds are dead because they still use photobucket for some god forsaken reason.) fetish art.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 22, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, crowd-sourced erotic digimon fan fiction? i can't stop laughing just thinking of the phrase.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eopia posted:

Christ, I wasn't expecting this to go into full 'This is the author's fetish and they really really want you to know' territory.

Seriously they outright linked to (and possibly posted? Almost all the image embeds are dead because they still use photobucket for some god forsaken reason.) fetish art.

the digimon fan-fiction part should have clued you in immediately

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey please change my name to crowd-sourced erotic digimon fan fiction

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Yinlock posted:

the digimon fan-fiction part should have clued you in immediately

I haven't read digimon fanfiction before, so I was very much unprepared for this.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Later being late enough that the friendship had permanently changed and the friend in question also has permanently changed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eopia posted:

I haven't read digimon fanfiction before, so I was very much unprepared for this.

even if you haven't it's just something you can sense, an aura of :chloe:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I finally resumed reading Honzuki, had stopped for a long while at chapter 122. The winter preparations was a bit of a slog, but what came after was amazing. Also happy to see Frida make an appearance again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pharohman777 posted:

'Divine Excel Method!'

Sounds like you would be interested in the White Collar Cultivator quest, about a normal guy who was accidentally kidnapped to a xianxia world and now works as an archival clerk for cultivation research. It's pretty good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
AWE just got incredible again. Love Saint Bai Xiaochun. :allears:

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I want to be mad, I want to be mad that those love letters became relevant again. But I just can't. You go little Bai, it's gonna bite you in the rear end but it will be amazing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*convulses with gratitude at the feet of wise Uncle Bai*

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh okay we're back to Cringetown.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

Oh okay we're back to Cringetown.

never question the daoist D.E.N.N.I.S system

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think I'll wait a few days for the updates to pile up, then skim through them cringing through my fingers.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently I Said Make My Abilities Average is getting an anime.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Bakanogami posted:

Apparently I Said Make My Abilities Average is getting an anime.

:psyduck:

Average Abilities is so scatter-brained and poorly plotted, I can't imagine it translating very well into a tv show.
The plot is literally:
*isekai happens!* >
school arc( kind of interesting; dropped immediately) >
hunter arc >
school arc(...again for some reason?) >
side characters! >
references! >
hunter arc again >
companion quests! >
...I stopped reading.

I was like 80 chapters in or something. And nothing happened the whole time! No plot appeared at any time! It felt like the author had a check-list of like five things he'd read in other light novels and just went through them one by one until he got to the bottom and took it from the top again. How do you translate that into a compelling television narrative? I mean, I know that anime is over-saturated and they make anything and everything into a show b-but there has to be some lowest bar they won't drop beneath ...right? There isn't even a story here is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sunken fleet posted:

:psyduck:

Average Abilities is so scatter-brained and poorly plotted, I can't imagine it translating very well into a tv show.
The plot is literally:
*isekai happens!* >
school arc( kind of interesting; dropped immediately) >
hunter arc >
school arc(...again for some reason?) >
side characters! >
references! >
hunter arc again >
companion quests! >
...I stopped reading.

I was like 80 chapters in or something. And nothing happened the whole time! No plot appeared at any time! It felt like the author had a check-list of like five things he'd read in other light novels and just went through them one by one until he got to the bottom and took it from the top again. How do you translate that into a compelling television narrative? I mean, I know that anime is over-saturated and they make anything and everything into a show b-but there has to be some lowest bar they won't drop beneath ...right? There isn't even a story here is there?

There have been a couple hints at a bigger overarching story, but they're not very big and I dunno if the translation's gotten to them yet. It's definitely focused more on episodic stuff, and a bit more on gags than action or plot.

You're right that the first chunk of it is kind of schizophrenic with all the directions it tries to take before settling down. I think I remember that the manga streamlines it some, presumably the anime will as well.

Honestly, if it can be better than the godawful smartphone and death march animes I'll be satisfied.