Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

mewse posted:

That thing about using whatever works is why some people consider him the grandfather of MMA

He was used to advertise a ufc game I think because of this.

I like that he admitted Ali would crush him easily in a fight but how nerds don't realise he admitted this and think he would kung-fu Ali up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I like that he admitted Ali would crush him easily in a fight but how nerds don't realise he admitted this and think he would kung-fu Ali up.

He was also legitimately 5'2" 125lbs and Ali was every bit of 6'3" 240lbs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lee was 5'7" and maaaybe 130. Inconsequential in the who would win game.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I think if we're talking "if Bruce Lee was alive and 25 today", I'd imagine he'd be could have been successful. A gifted athlete with a smart mind and good work ethic, I bet he would have been a great student/training partner.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

He was also legitimately 5'2" 125lbs and Ali was every bit of 6'3" 240lbs

Yea I think that's what Bruces main point was when some Karate magazine bought the idea of them fighting up, probably not the answer they wanted for all their sad nerdy readers wanted to hear.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

I think if we're talking "if Bruce Lee was alive and 25 today", I'd imagine he'd be could have been successful. A gifted athlete with a smart mind and good work ethic, I bet he would have been a great student/training partner.

Nah I'm saying teleport a 25 year old Bruce Lee from back then into a ring now and even you would have a chance of beating him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Good thing that pair of gloves never worked for me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Good thing that pair of gloves never worked for me.

This is loving bullshit. Apparently those new balances are crypto fascist because they are red and black. Meanwhile they circled the lonsdale logo instead of the loving "NTNL SZLST" tshirt right beside it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The article says kids are zipping up until only NSDA shows out of the Lonsdale logo, which seems legit enough. It sucks to have your brand coopted.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, they updated the article with an interview. When they initially posted it to facebook it just had that thumbnail image with no explanation

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
In the UK loads of old brands have been bought up by cheap Chinese factories and Lonsdale is one of them, as is Everlast iirc. It means chavs and scum can purchase the t shirts from big sports shops for 50p, I can't imagine them having the brains to organise an actual secret fashion trend.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

People born in 1488 have no hope.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 15, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

willie_dee posted:

He was used to advertise a ufc game I think because of this.

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who'd want to seriously fight Ali in his prime.

Or Mike Tyson, for that matter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who'd want to seriously fight Ali in his prime.

Imanari would.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, Anthony Joshua, Shannon Briggs, Tyson Fury. Just to name some heavyweight boxers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh god. Shield drills make me wince in sympathy.

Only way I kept from screwing myself up with them was switching to a center-grip round to drop the weight hanging from the point of my elbow, and keeping it in the front room where any time I thought about it I could bust out drills.

Shoulders and knees are the end of fighters.

poo poo, I didn't know you fought!

I. I'm doing better with lots of ice. All ready for Estrella next week!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

Roman boxing gloves have been discovered near Hadrian’s Wall, thought to be the only known surviving examples, even though the sport was well- documented on Roman wall paintings, mosaics and sculptures.

With a protective guard designed to fit snugly over the knuckles, the gloves were packed with natural material which acted as shock absorbers. They date from around AD120 and were certainly made to last: they still fit comfortably on a modern hand. One of them even retains the impression of the knuckles of its ancient wearer.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's crazy how well preserved those gloves are.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

poo poo, I didn't know you fought!

I. I'm doing better with lots of ice. All ready for Estrella next week!

Yeah, I fought with Calontir back when I was in college. Kinda tempted to get back into it now that I have disposable income, but I don't know that my knees can do it. :)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I fought with Calontir back when I was in college. Kinda tempted to get back into it now that I have disposable income, but I don't know that my knees can do it. :)
There's always cut & thrust and rapier! :ese:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm curious, Siivola. Where do you train HEMA? I can't imagine the circles are that large in Finland. I remember you mentioning it maybe in the fencing thread but can't recall.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I used to do longsword at Guy Windsor's School of European Swordsmanship, but I switched over to modern foil because I wanted to fence more and drill less.

...Also I'm not hard enough to fence with heavy HEMA weapons. :v:

Edit: There's actually a surprising number of HEMA groups scattered across Finland, they're just all fairly small and until recently, pretty insular. The big clubs in Helsinki (SESH and EHMS) have started doing these informal sparring events and that's gotten people traveling over.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 21, 2018

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
That sounds oddly. Yeah I used to train with THMS and have been trying to get back into it as of late (as well as going the modern route) but life has been getting in the way.

Kind of wish there was more sidesword stuff but HEMA is all about them scary longswords competitively...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, the Helsinki Bolognese Open's in August this year. Get a team going?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Siivola posted:

There's always cut & thrust and rapier! :ese:

That's a thought. Last I knew Calontir didn't even admit that rapier was a -thing-, but that's been several years ago. Maybe I'll drop a line that direction and see.

I gotta admit, I'm fat and way out of shape these days, so the thought of putting on full armor makes my knees hurt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's only like 90 pounds jeez.

I leave for Estrella tomorrow and am so excited. We're bringing 21 fighters, and have been practicing column charges for the last month. Totally gonna do epic stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm six and a half feet tall, so by the time I got gambeson, coat of plates, and all on it was usually Too drat Heavy. Hope you have fun at Estrella! War fighting was my jam, driving a scutum and doing pulse charges is a ton of fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5fVFbke5bI&t=7482s

I have it stopped at an interesting time point. Give the match a couple minutes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:staredog: Well that's sure a way to wrap up a tournament.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5fVFbke5bI&t=7482s

I have it stopped at an interesting time point. Give the match a couple minutes.

I hate that kind of judo. I get why they do it, with how high the stakes are and how at this level it's all about who makes the first error, but it isn't fun to watch and it's not what the sport is about.

A few months ago I was watching another competition, neither competitor was willing to really attack. The ref let it go for ten minutes before disqualifying one of the competitors.

Just noticed: I think their software didn't know how to handle displaying the double-disqualification; only one player showed a red card.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Good on the ref for not putting up with that crap.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I never really watch full judo matches but nearly all the matches I watched here ended with a ton of warnings given to one person or another and little to no throws. kinda boring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This all has me optimistic about the direction that judo officiating is going. If the officials aren't scared to cap off a grand slam like that, maybe it indicates that they'll start penalizing bullshit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I saw a fair number of hansoku make this weekend, most because of consistent stalling capped off by a desperate false attack or something. I dunno if this is a change from before but the refs didn't seem to be kidding around. :unsmith:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I scrolled through that video and it was really the first time I've seen any competitive judo. Can anyone post other videos give a general idea of the sport?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's the International Judo Federation's channel, you can find days of top-level tournament footage in there. Search for "final block" if you want to narrow it down a bit.

Edit: Here's a brief overview of the rules if you're unfamiliar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfKasoI5yc

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 26, 2018

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
:) I'm trying out a new Judo place today! Ever since I tried out a college judo club a couple years ago I've been wanting to practice it regularly, but a bad string of illnesses got in the way. No more! New year, new incoming newbie to taste the floor over and over again.

I will never not be amused by the IJF video's pronunciation of "Jiggoro Kaino" and "Hansoku macky"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

It's the International Judo Federation's channel, you can find days of top-level tournament footage in there. Search for "final block" if you want to narrow it down a bit.

Edit: Here's a brief overview of the rules if you're unfamiliar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfKasoI5yc

I was seeing people debate BJJ in the Olympics and a lot of people made a good point that Judo had to change so significantly to stay in the Olympics whilst differentiating itself from Wrestling, that they don't want to see BJJ become bastardised to appease the Olympic status. How was Judo changed compared to how it used to be?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I was seeing people debate BJJ in the Olympics and a lot of people made a good point that Judo had to change so significantly to stay in the Olympics whilst differentiating itself from Wrestling, that they don't want to see BJJ become bastardised to appease the Olympic status. How was Judo changed compared to how it used to be?

(Note, I don't practice Judo, so could be completely wrong).
I don't think that's quite true. (That Judo had to change in order to stay). I think judo changed as it became more popular and people got better at developing tactics/techniques in order to avoid losing, something which ran counter to the original Japanese philosophy.

Taekwondo, which got hugely popular after the Seoul Olympics, certainly 'degraded' and became a 'martial sport'. I used to practice it many(!) years ago, but I can't watch it now. It's simply too crap, with it's weird electronic scoring and yet, you only have to barely touch the head before it counts.

The judo match a few post back is very good in a sense that it's the direction that many martial arts need to take and I absolutely applaud that referee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Considering the IOC tried to throw freestyle wrestling out of the games in an effort to have fewer events, I don't think it's too far-fetched to say judo has had to differentiate itself from wrestling.

Late British olympian Syd Hoare wrote a brief but fairly in-depth article about the development of judo rules about ten years back (the lecture is from 2005 but some edits are dated 2009). Tl;dr: Going to the Olympics in the sixties introduced a bunch of admin rules like weight categories and smaller scores (yuko and koka), the rules have been in flux since then and furthermore, leg grabs should be banned. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 26, 2018