Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Powershift posted:

A pile of dry brush seems like a horrible place to park your flaming locomotive.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium › The Mechanical Failure was parking a flaming locomotive in a pile of dry brush

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I felt like I was the only one who said this aloud but I’m seeing that I was wrong!
We need an emote like :bustem: but with a picture of AvE that says RIP EM!

nmfree fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No one knows what AvE looks like.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

chrisgt posted:

If you have load on the transmission either via acceleration or deceleration, it won't pop out of gear into neutral. You have to reach a point where no load is being transferred to or from the engine, then the gears won't have force on them, and it'll go to neutral.

Look at this guy that only drives nice poo poo lol

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cojawfee posted:

Aparrently there was one frame in a vidjaya where he knocked over his camera and you couldd see his face as it spun while falling

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Delivery McGee posted:

Aparrently there was one frame in a vidjaya where he knocked over his camera and you couldd see his face as it spun while falling

He's very careful now and puts black boxes anywhere that could be a reflection.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

I have seen this for years and always wondered if he lost his hand or if that was the piston that fell in front of the bike?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It looks like he's still got both hands when he bails.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

iwentdoodie posted:

Look at this guy that only drives nice poo poo lol

Oh don't be deceived, I spent almost a year driving an outback that lost 3rd and 5th gear, then for some reason the motor blew up...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Stuck throttle chat got me thinking about the best (worst) film I think I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-KxGdGtrU

The whole thing was about 90 minutes long. There was a 'drama' scene in which a baby is being helicoptered out of the car but OH NO AN OVERPASS.

On a related note: If you're a nurse in 1998 and you habitually put on daytime TV for patients who have books and magazines to read, but no remote for the TV, you may technically be a war criminal.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IPCRESS posted:

Stuck throttle chat got me thinking about the best (worst) film I think I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-KxGdGtrU

The whole thing was about 90 minutes long. There was a 'drama' scene in which a baby is being helicoptered out of the car but OH NO AN OVERPASS.

On a related note: If you're a nurse in 1998 and you habitually put on daytime TV for patients who have books and magazines to read, but no remote for the TV, you may technically be a war criminal.

So neutral wasn't an option? They broke the ignition key, okay maybe (but not really) but neutral? DID THEY TALK ABOUT NEUTRAL!??!?!

Edit: The whole movie is on youtube and you made me skim it to find her frantically wiggling the column shifter to no avail. I'm mad now.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 21, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The lovely driving video I watched in high school driver's ed had a section talking about how if your lovely rwd land yacht was pushing you into a snowy intersection, even with the front brakes locked, you can bump your car into neutral without lifting up on the lever/pushing a button, just pop it up.

That same video also taught me that if you need to use your car's mobile phone, only dial a number or two at a time, making sure to look up at the road often. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Slim Pickens posted:

That same video also taught me that if you need to use your car's mobile phone, only dial a number or two at a time, making sure to look up at the road often. :v:

This unfortunately is still good advice. Most drivers I see don't even bother holding the wheel when texting on the road

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

His face is just a giant featureless maple leaf.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I prefer to think he's just a floating pair of forearms, like my summer car.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

cakesmith handyman posted:

At least in EnviroBear 2000 you can see most of the bear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Rayman?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Diesel engine runaway. We suspect that the injector pump leaked diesel into the oil, and from there it made its way into the cylinders, causing it to overspeed fast enough for the pistons to contact the valves. No loss of timing, just pistons moving faster than the valves can retract.

Best part is this thing was disassembled over a year ago (it's been waiting on an insurance payout), by a mechanic who no longer works at the company. So nobody really knows any details, and only about 70% of the necessary parts have been ordered.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God drat. What kind of engine?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

diesel

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that kind of weird-rear end cam grind normal on big diesels? It has some kind of weird flat spot after TDC.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, that's part of the mechanical failure

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This was fairly local to me. That train was hauling autoracks full of new cars.

More photos:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

iwentdoodie posted:

Deutz air cooled, non-turbo. The exact model and year escape me at the moment. It came out of a sifter. I've never seen it, but apparently the customer took it out himself and we'll be expected to put it back in.

MrYenko posted:

Is that kind of weird-rear end cam grind normal on big diesels? It has some kind of weird flat spot after TDC.

Those were the lifters that broke, and the piston that took the least amount of damage. At some point I will try to remember to take a picture of the new camshaft next to the old one.

Not pictured: a broken head bolt that was seized into the block. There was enough sticking out that one of our welders was able to weld a nut onto it, and while it clearly didn't want to, it came out with a minimum of loving around.

Amazingly, after honing, the cylinder bores are all within spec and no need to go oversize. We're sending the heads out to be machined/rebuilt, the crank to be polished, and then injectors to be tested (though they're hosed for sure). I'll post some pictures of the rebuild once all the parts are in if anyone cares, and fingers crossed the first test run won't belong in this thread.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

If I had carpets like these, I'd be looking for an insurance payout too.

Why is there toothpaste next to the bed?

e: you should consider crossposting to the OSHA thread. While the home falls outside the ambit, the folks there (at least, those that don't come here) would certainly appreciate it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

Deutz air cooled, non-turbo. The exact model and year escape me at the moment. It came out of a sifter. I've never seen it, but apparently the customer took it out himself and we'll be expected to put it back in.

Those were the lifters that broke, and the piston that took the least amount of damage. At some point I will try to remember to take a picture of the new camshaft next to the old one.

Not pictured: a broken head bolt that was seized into the block. There was enough sticking out that one of our welders was able to weld a nut onto it, and while it clearly didn't want to, it came out with a minimum of loving around.

Amazingly, after honing, the cylinder bores are all within spec and no need to go oversize. We're sending the heads out to be machined/rebuilt, the crank to be polished, and then injectors to be tested (though they're hosed for sure). I'll post some pictures of the rebuild once all the parts are in if anyone cares, and fingers crossed the first test run won't belong in this thread.

Aw, I love Deutz aircooled diesels :(

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Bet you that house just had its power cut off and they've pilfered the local BBQs for some propane heat

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Breakfast Feud posted:

Bet you that house just had its power cut off and they've pilfered the local BBQs for some propane heat

The can of cat food next to the toothpaste makes me think you're right

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
From a friend: Don't store propane in an enclosed vehicle:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:drat:

Reminds me I need to swap some tanks though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

This is why we tell 14" he can eat Mexican, be in an enclosed space, or smoke. Any two.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Ditto for oxygen cylinders.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or Acetylene.
https://www.leftlanenews.com/man-survives-toyota-fj-cruiser-exploding-while-inside-aftermath-inside.html
Acetylene is no loving joke.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That, too. Shop teacher in high school shared similar vintage photos when impressing upon us welding safety.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Better hope you guys never need AC or plumbing services then. :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ExplodingSims posted:

Better hope you guys never need AC or plumbing services then. :v:

I've seen utes and vans with compartments that are sealed from the rest of the vehicle and vented to the outside at the bottom for transporting flammable gases in cylinders. There's always a way to do it safely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rig a spark generator to go off when the doors are unlocked. Do it from a safe distance before approaching the van.

It’s a hell of a lot better than creating a source of ignition when you’re sitting in the driver’s seat.

But this has obvious evil uses so now I’m on a list.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just add small vent fans that are always running.

Or leave a window cracked when transporting in a non dedicated vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Every one of the thousands of hvac/building maintenance service vans I've ever seen has a tank of acetylene chained or rubber strapped to the shelves in the back.