Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
When all you got to keep is strong
Move along, move along like I know you do
And even when your hope is gone
Move along, move along just to make it through

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
At least look at what’s for sale...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shop till we drop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

achtungnight posted:

At least look at what’s for sale...

It's always two meals and a Potion of Laumspur. Move on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We're rich, let's give away some of our money.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jedit posted:

It's always two meals and a Potion of Laumspur. Move on.

Could be fireseeds! You can never have enough fireseeds. We should look.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
There's nothing quite like window shopping.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I feel like it’s a trap since the real people are supposed to evacuate.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Ve've already lost too much time. Keep moving!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
We just saw how all the rich people are fleeing and taking their wealth with them. Local economy is going to be in the shitter. We are a hero and we should come to the rescue. Rescue the local economy by pumping some gold back into it and shop

Also we should make sure there's no profiteers we have to kill and loot for the good of the people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The_White_Crane posted:

There's nothing quite like window shopping.
And you never know when you'll come across a shop selling unlimited alether potions.

The Cauldron of Fear posted:

The villagers swarm around you like hungry locusts, pleading with you to buy their humble goods. Most of the baskets contain food with a greasy, off-putting smell, and small earthenware flasks full of boza—a pale yellow wine with a bouquet like sour milk. Those villagers that are too poor to offer any goods at all simply cup their hands and beg for money. For every one Gold Grown you spend here you can purchase 2 Meals or one Flask of Boza.
  1. Do we buy any Meals or Boza, and do we discard any backpack items to make room? (We can buy one item without discarding anything)
  2. Do we give the beggars any money? If so, how much?
  3. Or do we ignore the beggars and leave?

We can give any amount but the book only cares whether we give at least 3 gold crowns or less than 3 gold crowns.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Buy some booze boza and give four coins to the beggars.

The book isn't going to screw us for being decent human beings and giving to people in need, right?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Like Mikl said:
Buy one (1) flask of Boza and give four (4) gold crowns to beggars.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Mikl posted:

The book isn't going to screw us for being decent human beings and giving to people in need, right?

Agreed. I hope not.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Make it rain! Give 5 gold to the beggars.

boza—a pale yellow wine with a bouquet like sour milk.

Skip the booze and everything else.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 22, 2018

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

5 gold to the beggars, nothing else.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Broken Box posted:

5 gold to the beggars, nothing else.

Don't want any food poisoning this early.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Make it rain! Give 5 gold to the beggars.

boza—a pale yellow wine with a bouquet like sour milk.

Skip the booze and everything else.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Why are you people voting to skip a unique item!?
There's never going to be a forced "And then you poured the Boza down your throat and got blind drunk and were robbed" scene, but there could well be a "If you have some Boza you can give it to the guards so they get blind drunk" scene!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
It ain't shiny. :c00lbutt:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

The_White_Crane posted:

Why are you people voting to skip a unique item!?
There's never going to be a forced "And then you poured the Boza down your throat and got blind drunk and were robbed" scene, but there could well be a "If you have some Boza you can give it to the guards so they get blind drunk" scene!

Very fair point, let's get some boza and give 1 gold to the beggars.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

We’ll probably get ourself mugged by a mob who think we’re a rich arsehole but what the hell. That.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Buy one (1) flask of Boza

Mikl posted:

give four coins to the beggars.

The unfair deaths in Lone Wolf are more often just random than Choose Your Own Adventure style "you picked the wrong thing that you had no way of knowing was wrong". If your choice kills you it's usually reasonably clear why.

The wretched beggars are overjoyed at your generosity and their grimy faces beam with delight as quickly they share out your coins. An old crone tugs at your sleeve and points with a crooked finger towards a small wooden hut set apart from the rest. She says it is the home of their shaman, the village holy-man. She offers to take you to him to receive a blessing.
Do we go with her or be on our way?

We have 46 Gold Crowns remaining.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Be on our way. Genorosity is fine but we don’t need any hokey religion!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Get the blessing. We paid good money to reach this paragraph so let’s get our reward.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
These random holymen keep turning up Vordak. So by the secret power of Vordak, receive this blessing.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm sure the blessing is a permanent boost to our combat skill and not a disguised Vordak shanking us.

e: I haven't played this book so this isn't a spoiler, although Jackard's post above makes me think I might be hitting close to the mark.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 22, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

e: I haven't played this book so this isn't a spoiler, although Jackard's post above makes me think I might be hitting close to the mark.

Either way it will be more fun to take the option than ignore it. :)

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Get #blessed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Maugrim posted:

I'm joking - never read this book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

I'm joking - never read this book.

With that avatar you haven't even read the entire series?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Let’s get Blesskrieged!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

With that avatar you haven't even read the entire series?
Nah I don't own all of them yet and reading the paperbacks feels better. I've kept this avatar since the original LP, same as Ratatozsk. I think there was another guy but he was banned.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 22, 2018

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
:angel:Get Blessed:angel:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I've read the entire series up to Book 20, but it's been years and memories are fuzzy sometimes. I like to be consistently inconsistent with my votes- sometimes I remember what is best and sometimes I want to show off something or be snarky instead. You will never know which is the case as long as I follow thread spoiler rules (and I expect Tiggum to call me out if I don't).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Runcible Cat posted:

Let’s get Blesskrieged!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Look, obviously she's just leading us to the hut so we can get rolled because they've figured out we're rich.

BUT

We should go anyway, so we can shut down this operation and prevent them from victimizing others.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Last time we tracked down a person with mysterious powers in a sidequest (the prophetess) it was a pleasant, non threatening encounter! Let's go get blessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Get the blessing. We paid good money to reach this paragraph so let’s get our reward.
This decision is literally "do you want the encounter that donating the money gets you or not?" and I don't know why it's even here. You already made that decision by donating.

With a bony fist she raps loudly on the door of the hut. Inside, a croaky voice bids you enter and she tugs at your sleeve impatiently, urging you into the foul-smelling hovel. Seated on a threadbare carpet, and surrounded by what appear to be heaps of chicken bones, is a scrawny old man dressed completely in feathers. He has a long, pointed nose and a stubbly grey beard which grows to just below his beady bloodshot eyes. The crone kneels and whispers in his ear before bowing and leaving the hut. As the door swings shut the shaman scoops up a handful of bones, closes his eyes, and, with a sound like a flock of startled gulls, casts them in the air. After a full minute of chanting and waving his hands, the old man opens his eyes and looks down on the bones which lie scattered on the beaten earth floor.

‘You have many enemies, Northlander,’ he says, his hook-like fingers tracing patterns around the bones, ‘powerful enemies. They plot to prevent you from walking your chosen path, for that path will lead to their destruction. There is one who will tell you that he is a friend. You must not trust this one. There is treachery in his heart.’

The old man closes his eyes and lowers his head, as if he has fallen suddenly into a deep trance. You try to awaken him but he does not respond, and eventually you decide to take your leave. You feel unsettled by the encounter, but when you return to Banedon you make light of the incident and suggest that you continue without further delay.

As the hour of noon approaches, the rutted highway of khaki-coloured earth rises gently towards a flat-topped house near the horizon. Outside, at the entrance, is a three-legged stand erected over a fire made of ghorkas’ dung. A battered tin pot full of soup hangs from the crotch of the stand, and a group of farm hands stand in line waiting for the muddy liquid to boil. The smell of the fire is awful, and it has to be blown on ceaselessly to prevent it from going out. Close to the house is a dirt track, which branches off the main highway and disappears to the west. A signpost, its wood cracked and twisted, points along the track. It reads:
    TAHOU—95 MILES
Immediately your sense of Pathsmanship alerts you that the signpost is pointing in the wrong direction. Tahou lies to the north, yet this signpost is pointing towards the River Churdas in the west.
Shall we ignore the sign and continue north or question the farmhands?