Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This game is like xcom in my opinion. If you want to turn off permidearh and saves, go for it. But I don't like turning my free time into torturing myself, so I'll keep them on without guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Old Swerdlow posted:

Does anyone else feel guilty for sometimes fudging an outcome or straight up cheating once in a while?

The group I play with is always visibly deflated when we lose a scenario. I try to remind them that this game is meant to be lost on occasion, and a lot of time the consequences are not as severe as it feels like they are. I thought Essex County Express in particular was kinda meant to be a crapshoot, where losing on account of getting sucked into the void was meant to be an inconvenience more than a crippling blow.

That being said, when I solo campaigns I usually allow myself one do-over in case things go pear-shaped--especially if I'm testing out a deck and getting devoured ruins the experiment.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
I've cheated a few times and reset the scenario. But now that I play with two friends, I found that time is more precious than getting a perfect score. This in turn has led me to just keep going, no matter the result. The game seems balanced toward not winning all scenarios, and bad results often doesn't have that bad consequences.

I like this way of playing much more, because first you get to experience different parts of the story, second I want to play the same scenarios again because I want to do better - instead of remembering a scenario as "that scenario I had to redo three times"

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Zerf posted:

I've cheated a few times and reset the scenario. But now that I play with two friends, I found that time is more precious than getting a perfect score. This in turn has led me to just keep going, no matter the result. The game seems balanced toward not winning all scenarios, and bad results often doesn't have that bad consequences.

Also I recall that in at least one of the Dunwich scenarios there's a balancing mechanic for doing TOO WELL in the previous scenario so that the difficulty in the next one is a bit higher, which was a nice surprise.

That being said, in solo games I sometimes just reset the scenario if I have a run of ridiculously bad luck during the first few turns. Since the game is (especially when playing solo) so much about optimizing your limited actions and resources and figuring out the best way to use them, it's sometimes just too much of an uphill battle if things go super wrong right at the start.

e: and also in many scenarios it's pretty obvious that getting a "perfect score" is enormously difficult and not even really the point, I usually don't mind going on to the next scenario with a less-than-optimal success.

ALLAN LASSUS fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 8, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

e: and also in many scenarios it's pretty obvious that getting a "perfect score" is enormously difficult and not even really the point, I usually don't mind going on to the next scenario with a less-than-optimal success.

I'm glad they designed the second scenario of the starter box in this exact manner so people could hopefully immediately get used to the idea.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In my Carcosa 5 investigator game we're on scenario 6 or so counting Carnevale and the Rougagou.

We've been abusing Delve too Deep and Bury Them Deep so much we've accumulated something like 16 exp beyond what we've earned from the scenarios.

The last scenario we played (the one at the nuthouse) was almost too easy on Hard mode with all of our characters super pumped up. We've been not jokingly talking about an Expert play through but I'm a little apprehensive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Quick question: I haven't started the latest campaign because I'm waiting for all the cards to come out for the cycle. Is this dumb? It feels weird but I don't like the feeling of putting a deck together then finding out a cool 0 XP card I should have included at the beginning came out later or something that made a character I overlooked really click.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Radish posted:

Quick question: I haven't started the latest campaign because I'm waiting for all the cards to come out for the cycle. Is this dumb? It feels weird but I don't like the feeling of putting a deck together then finding out a cool 0 XP card I should have included at the beginning came out later or something that made a character I overlooked really click.

I ended up playing Dunwich four times with different combinations of investigators and friends. I'll probably play it again with another group. Seeing a cool new 0xp card that inspires you should be a good thing, not a bad.

Also consider that the next cycle will also have cool new cards. Just play the game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The one issue I have is the person I play this with has the enthusiasm to play through a campaign one time. I'm also in the head space that a cycle is designed to be used together but that may not be the case.

Just playing the game is probably the correct idea though. I kinda wish they would design the releases with the 0 costers coming in the box and then getting higher XP cards in the packs.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

The one issue I have is the person I play this with has the enthusiasm to play through a campaign one time. I'm also in the head space that a cycle is designed to be used together but that may not be the case.

Just playing the game is probably the correct idea though. I kinda wish they would design the releases with the 0 costers coming in the box and then getting higher XP cards in the packs.

The majority of player cards in the last two packs in the Dunwich cycle were XP upgrades though, I think it's quite probable that the same will hold true for the Carcosa cycle. Personally, I would start playing anyway :)

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Plus you can save any 0XP cards for the next campaign if you really don't want to have them popping up during a cycle.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Or just play an investigator who can take Adaptable and swap in new 0xp cards between scenarios! :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

In my Carcosa 5 investigator game we're on scenario 6 or so counting Carnevale and the Rougagou.

We've been abusing Delve too Deep and Bury Them Deep so much we've accumulated something like 16 exp beyond what we've earned from the scenarios.

The last scenario we played (the one at the nuthouse) was almost too easy on Hard mode with all of our characters super pumped up. We've been not jokingly talking about an Expert play through but I'm a little apprehensive.

Isn't 5 players more than the game supports

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Yes but it’s not against the law, so who is going to stop them from playing how they want? If anything it probably makes a lot of the encounters more difficult with how fast doom tokens pop out and the increased amount of encounter cards drawn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah I mean of course I would expect odd balance issues if I played with more players than the game supports

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alg posted:

Yeah I mean of course I would expect odd balance issues if I played with more players than the game supports

Yeah, some of the scenario setups lists different rules for 1 to 4 players, so there's definitely going to be issues that you need to solve.

Not my cup of tea to play that way, but as said, if people want to play that way why not :)

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Old Swerdlow posted:

Yes but it’s not against the law, so who is going to stop them from playing how they want? If anything it probably makes a lot of the encounters more difficult with how fast doom tokens pop out and the increased amount of encounter cards drawn.

Yep this.

You're all right it doesn't support 5 players but if you just follow the "per investigator" rules it works out fine. Some scenarios are harder this way, some are easier. It does make encounter cards especially bad just with the sheer number of them. Nearly every deck is maxed out with the various encounter canceling cards like A Test of Will and Ward of Protection to mitigate this.

The one thing we probably get a large advantage playing with 5 is from Delve Too Deep + Bury Them Deep. Giving all 5 investigators ~15XP over a few scenarios has made our decks ridiculously pumped up for where we are in the campaign.

The large teams are way more fun to deckbuild for too. First off you can specialize the investigators much more, and second you can look for all sorts of wacky cross-investigator synergy. My up to date Pete deck pairs with another player's Yorick deck to abuse the poo poo out of Red Gloved Man and A Chance Encounter/Flare/Calling in Favors. We can both search for RGM with Favors, and then if either of us get him can pull him from each others discard, sometimes repeatedly. Obviously aside from the Duke investigate this pair can barely get clues at all, so there are other team members for that.

Pete: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/116329
Yorick: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/114911

Another great cross-character trick is our green character upgraded into the Pocket Watch. Since you can only have one in the deck you're unlikely to see it, and green has lovely draw abilities. Our yellow character however generally sees 90-100% of his deck every game. At the same upgrade cycle, yellow takes the 5xp No Stone Unturned and uses it to let green search for the Pocket Watch, reliably getting a huge team boost every game.

The real reason is we have exactly 5 people in the play group, one with two small kids, and another about to have his first. Arranging a time when everyone is free is getting increasingly difficult and we wanted to burn through Carcosa before baby-acolypse.

edit: As you may have noticed we have zero qualms about playing cards that aren't technically out yet even if it means making proxies for them.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 18, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Such amazing cards in the next pack, holy poo poo.

They're up on cardgamedb and Arcane Initiate (3), Not without a fight, Suggestion, St. Hubert's Key, Stick to the plan (!!!) and Ward of Protection (2) all look great.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Such amazing cards in the next pack, holy poo poo.

They're up on cardgamedb and Arcane Initiate (3), Not without a fight, Suggestion, St. Hubert's Key, Stick to the plan (!!!) and Ward of Protection (2) all look great.

A bit sceptical to Arcane Initiate(3) due to xp cost and Nwaf, due to play restrictions. St Huberts Key will be a cool combo card, do you have a build i mind?

Also, Stick to the plan. Possibly the best card in the game after Higher Education?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Any Forgotten Age spoilers out there?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zerf posted:

Also, Stick to the plan. Possibly the best card in the game after Higher Education?

Stick to the Plan looks incredible. Even if it's only a Prepare for the Worst and a pair of On The Hunts it is incredibly powerful.

I feel like it should have at least increased the deck size by some amount.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Mark Harrigan supremacy continues unabated

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Where is the card spoiler for stick to the plan?

Edit: Turns out I am illiterate

OK stick to the plan is amazing. That's just an auto include in any deck that can take it. Would be ace with shortcut as well! Two free actions and draw a card for 3XP is so strong.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 19, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Narrow Escape seems crazy good.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The one thing we probably get a large advantage playing with 5 is from Delve Too Deep + Bury Them Deep. Giving all 5 investigators ~15XP over a few scenarios has made our decks ridiculously pumped up for where we are in the campaign.

Are you playing with multiple people with Delve Too Deep? Because that's probably what's breaking the game. Delve Too Deep already scales based on player count, because it gives XP to everyone. Giving it to more people is then multiplying the advantage.

I think Delve Too Deep is a bit of a game breaker anyway to be honest. It's too easy to throw them out at the end of a mission when people are standing on the retire spot.

Granted the game has difficulty levels as you noted, so you can push the difficulty up if you want to.

As for playing five player, there's already a significant difference between two players and four players, and I don't think going to five will break it that much. Higher player counts have a better advantage against most bosses and mini-bosses, because a number of bosses have a portion of fixed health value and a number of mini-bosses don't even have scaled health. Also evading needs to be done once per turn, not per player, so higher player counts are much more efficient at dealing with them.

Higher player counts have better cross-deck synergies and board coverage than lower counts. They are also more likely to find victory point enemies in the encounter deck, and also be able to effectively deal with them.

The cost is certain encounter cards have global effects. Ancient Evils is the most pronounced, though there are others, like Claws of Steam and Terror From Beyond. So loading up on encounter cancelling cards would remove the drawbacks of the higher player count, while keeping all the advantages.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I got given a single Basic core for Xmas, and I have the Dunwich core now too.

I'd like to try duo runs with Agnes and one other. Who's a good pairing for Agnes from either the base set or Dunwich that doesn't need me to buy another base core?
Willing to grab the rest of the Dunwich expansions if that will make a really good difference.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

OK stick to the plan is amazing. That's just an auto include in any deck that can take it. Would be ace with shortcut as well! Two free actions and draw a card for 3XP is so strong.

It's Exceptional though, so 6 xp. Still worth every point.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ubik_Lives posted:

Are you playing with multiple people with Delve Too Deep? Because that's probably what's breaking the game. Delve Too Deep already scales based on player count, because it gives XP to everyone. Giving it to more people is then multiplying the advantage.

I think Delve Too Deep is a bit of a game breaker anyway to be honest. It's too easy to throw them out at the end of a mission when people are standing on the retire spot.

Granted the game has difficulty levels as you noted, so you can push the difficulty up if you want to.

As for playing five player, there's already a significant difference between two players and four players, and I don't think going to five will break it that much. Higher player counts have a better advantage against most bosses and mini-bosses, because a number of bosses have a portion of fixed health value and a number of mini-bosses don't even have scaled health. Also evading needs to be done once per turn, not per player, so higher player counts are much more efficient at dealing with them.

Higher player counts have better cross-deck synergies and board coverage than lower counts. They are also more likely to find victory point enemies in the encounter deck, and also be able to effectively deal with them.

The cost is certain encounter cards have global effects. Ancient Evils is the most pronounced, though there are others, like Claws of Steam and Terror From Beyond. So loading up on encounter cancelling cards would remove the drawbacks of the higher player count, while keeping all the advantages.

You pretty much nailed what's going on.

We only have one player with Delve too Deep but his deck is tuned to draw like crazy, ensuring we get both nearly every game.

In other news the latest Carcosa game was much closer run and we nearly lost.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

A bit sceptical to Arcane Initiate(3) due to xp cost and Nwaf, due to play restrictions. St Huberts Key will be a cool combo card, do you have a build i mind?

St Huberts combos with anyone with low sanity and who wants to use the new 4-icon neutral cards. Pete for instance could drop himself to 3 sanity right out of the gate.

And don't forget, while it does lower your sanity by 2, it also heals 2 sanity damage if you were to die from sanity loss AND at the same time also removes itself thus increasing your sanity back by 2. Effectively that's a 4 sanity heal.

Clearly it directly competes with Holy Rosary. Both increase Willpower by 1. Both increase total sanity damage capacity by 2. Though St Huberts allows you to take all that damage on your investigator, which Agnes likes. Additionally St Huberts also gives +1 Intellect. In exchange it costs 2 resources more.

This means it is amazing for Mystics who value an extra Intellect point. Marie (5 Will and 5 Intellect) should loving love this. Jim (5 Will and 4 Intellect) should also be excited. If Agnes can afford it this card will let her trigger her ability more often.

Now allow me to sell you on Arcane Initiate (3). For a cost of 0 resources you get to draw one of your most important cards almost every turn with no risk of drawing a weakness. Additionally you have a chance of a 2 sanity soak depending on doom gamestate.

I straight up believe AI(3) will take priority over upgrading your spells. Because while Shrivelling(3) and Rite of Seeking(4) are great cards, they are a complete waste of XP unless you actually draw them. Consistency > raw power.

For the same consistency > power reason, Stick to the Plan might be better than Higher Education. That's how amazing that poo poo is. You can *guarantee* that you will be able to use powerful cards (including powerful high-XP cost cards) right from the start of every single game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Echoing Stick to the Plan is amazing wow.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Stick to the Plan doesn't even really cost 6XP because you can easily decide you now only need the 1 copy (which you are guaranteed to see) of cards like Ever Vigilant or Extra Ammunition or an Emergency Cache (2) or (3).

So it saves XP, deckslots and also thins your deck.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You could start with Shortcut(2) every game as Roland.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 21, 2018

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's 6 xp. Note that it's exceptional. That said it's still really good.

Also I have to echo what some have been saying about Delve too Deep. IMO it's the most powerful card in the game if you're running a campaign.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 21, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

St Huberts combos with anyone with low sanity and who wants to use the new 4-icon neutral cards. Pete for instance could drop himself to 3 sanity right out of the gate.

And don't forget, while it does lower your sanity by 2, it also heals 2 sanity damage if you were to die from sanity loss AND at the same time also removes itself thus increasing your sanity back by 2. Effectively that's a 4 sanity heal.

Clearly it directly competes with Holy Rosary. Both increase Willpower by 1. Both increase total sanity damage capacity by 2. Though St Huberts allows you to take all that damage on your investigator, which Agnes likes. Additionally St Huberts also gives +1 Intellect. In exchange it costs 2 resources more.

This means it is amazing for Mystics who value an extra Intellect point. Marie (5 Will and 5 Intellect) should loving love this. Jim (5 Will and 4 Intellect) should also be excited. If Agnes can afford it this card will let her trigger her ability more often.

Sold. Yeah, I didn't really run the numbers on this, it's actually quite good, if you can spare the resources.

Orange Devil posted:

Now allow me to sell you on Arcane Initiate (3). For a cost of 0 resources you get to draw one of your most important cards almost every turn with no risk of drawing a weakness. Additionally you have a chance of a 2 sanity soak depending on doom gamestate.

I straight up believe AI(3) will take priority over upgrading your spells. Because while Shrivelling(3) and Rite of Seeking(4) are great cards, they are a complete waste of XP unless you actually draw them. Consistency > raw power.

Not sold! :) I don't find AI(3) particularly compelling since AI(0) has the exact same tutor effect. I mean, sure, the 1->0 cost is nice, and you have an option to avoid the potential doom (but at a cost). But the thing is, I don't find the doom on AI(0) especially hard to play around - either you can play it when the agenda would advance next turn anyway, kill her via mobs (perhaps AoO) or Forbidden Knowledge, juggle her with Calling in Favors, play doom removal cards, etc. So there are plenty of options for AI(0), is 3XP really worth it for the upgrade? (to be clear: I do like and play AI(0), so I acknowledge that the tutor effect is good)

Orange Devil posted:

For the same consistency > power reason, Stick to the Plan might be better than Higher Education. That's how amazing that poo poo is. You can *guarantee* that you will be able to use powerful cards (including powerful high-XP cost cards) right from the start of every single game.

Yeah, this is probably the first card you buy if you can include it in your deck. As you mention, the payback in XP makes it even better if you don't want 2x Ever Vigilant or 2x Extra Ammo etc. Also saves card slots for things like Dynamite which you can run as a one-of since you are guaranteed to draw it. Such an amazing card.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

Not sold! :) I don't find AI(3) particularly compelling since AI(0) has the exact same tutor effect. I mean, sure, the 1->0 cost is nice, and you have an option to avoid the potential doom (but at a cost). But the thing is, I don't find the doom on AI(0) especially hard to play around - either you can play it when the agenda would advance next turn anyway, kill her via mobs (perhaps AoO) or Forbidden Knowledge, juggle her with Calling in Favors, play doom removal cards, etc. So there are plenty of options for AI(0), is 3XP really worth it for the upgrade? (to be clear: I do like and play AI(0), so I acknowledge that the tutor effect is good)

These are fair points.

I was evaluating AI(3) from the perspective of the doom being a big issue. Because you don't have doom management in your deck and because managing the doom by waiting to play AI until the doom on the first agenda is high enough does defeat the biggest benefit AI provides, which is ensuring your Mystic consistently has spells as early in the game as possible so that they can be a functional investigator.

Now, let's evaluate against the situation where you have included doom management such as the cards you mention. I would group those cards into 2 categories:
1. Cards that are straight up good (calling in favors, arguably forbidden knowledge in Agnes)
2. Cards that are only good for doom management (moonlight ritual, forbidden knowledge everywhere else). Currently these cards are imo trash except for that they allow you to deal with AI(0).

AI(3) allows you to use the good cards for other good purposes. AI(3) allows you to remove the bad cards from category 2. from your deck and replace them with good cards. Basically AI(3) removes a bunch of opportunity costs in this comparison.

Is that strong enough to justify the 3xp? I think it depends on the deck and how big those removed opportunity costs are. My gut is telling me it's still a really strong card and worth it, but it's a lot harder to quantify this I'll admit. In general I'd say the Mystic level 0 card pool is strong and thus opening up deck slots being able to remove cards to deal with AI's drawback is valuable. Conversely if there was a Rogue card that allowed me to cut slots to put in more Rogue level 0 cards for 3xp I'd be convinced it's trash.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 21, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Realistically you have to consider AI(3) to be 6 xp if you're upgrading for the consistency. Personally I feel that for level 3 they could've expanded the dig to 4 cards.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Xlorp posted:

I got given a single Basic core for Xmas, and I have the Dunwich core now too.

I'd like to try duo runs with Agnes and one other. Who's a good pairing for Agnes from either the base set or Dunwich that doesn't need me to buy another base core?
Willing to grab the rest of the Dunwich expansions if that will make a really good difference.

Rereading the thread double core set looks like the way to go for most convenience and pairing options. Then plow into a campaign series.
How is Agnes paired with Jenny?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Xlorp posted:

Should be fine. Jenny is kinda a powerhouse once her tableau is built out and Agnes will pair well for some powerful plays beside her.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

Rereading the thread double core set looks like the way to go for most convenience and pairing options. Then plow into a campaign series.

I think that it can work, but the main issue is that Mystics in general take some time to build up their gamestate. Once they have Shrivelling and Rite of Seeking on the board you're fine, but you can run into trouble getting there. I do believe the same applies to Jenny as well, she needs a bit of a setup time before she becomes good. So the early turns is your Achilles heel, especially if drawing an enemy or two. You can compare this with a Guardian, which is ready as soon as a weapon hits the table, or for example Ashcan Pete, who can both battle and investigate reasonable without any setup (also an interesting choice to pair with Agnes). But hey, go for it, any combination of investigators are fun to play :)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zerf posted:

Once they have Shrivelling and Rite of Seeking on the board you're fine, but you can run into trouble getting there.

These both take the same slot. Unless you have a Book of Shadows(3) then you can't have both at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

PJOmega posted:

These both take the same slot. Unless you have a Book of Shadows(3) then you can't have both at the same time.

You know you have two spell slots, right?