Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I saw a new Yoga 370 for $670 in the outlet and almost got it but didn't because it apparently has a super glossy screen and it wasn't 100% clear whether the pitiful 4GB of RAM was soldered on or upgradeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

To be precise it is called the Dell XPS "9360" model

If this link works, here's the deeply discounted returns/refurbs and they have additional coupons, plus you can stack that with TopCashBack.com

Edit: whups, try now: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...D%2fdS%2fYg%2bB

Dell has this 20% off code that works on the outlet for XPS 13 9360 models: aXPS936020 it's good through 2/19/18 so act fast.

Just used the link above and got an XPS 13 i7-8550, 8GB, 256GB that was listed at 975 for 780 before tax & shipping :)

Thanks laptop thread!

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 19, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do they ever do deals on the XPS 15?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

The site I found the coupon I used also has this for the XPS15: aXPS956015

15% off the 9560 model. Not sure when it expires, likely the same as the one for the 13.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bob Morales posted:

Go to costco.com right now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Please don't buy new thinkpads. The price you're seeing now isn't really meant for you to buy a personal computer, it's there because companies are buying fleets of them for deployment and lenovo can fleece them with impunity by inflating the msrp at launch. The price exists so Bob the Accountant can point to a line item in the quarterly meeting and proudly show how much money he saved by negotiating a bulk deal. The whole thing is a silly dance of bureaucracy, and if you buy a brand new thinkpad from lenovo less than 3 months from launch, you're loving yourself over for no reason at all.

I'm in the middle of finding a new laptop for a full fleet refresh and this is 100% the case.

Business discounts are less than you'd think mind you, we're paying... Let's say $1700ish CAD for new e7480s. But there's a lot more money to burn, and support contracts are worth their weight in gold.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I grabbed this for $1400 using the corporate discount a month after the 5th gen Carbon came out. Just give it a few weeks.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Those chinese macbook air clones keep getting better:

If I were looking for a beater laptop I'd be pretty happy about this, and I'd definitely consider one over a chromebook in the $250 price range. I can't wait to see what these look like with the new Gemini Lake Celeron Atom Pentium Silver chips.

Looks like this or a Xiaomi Air will be my future PC

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

eXXon posted:

Actually I saw a new Yoga 370 for $670 in the outlet and almost got it but didn't because it apparently has a super glossy screen and it wasn't 100% clear whether the pitiful 4GB of RAM was soldered on or upgradeable.

There's an SODIMM slot, yeah. And everything with a touchscreen is glossy, so there's no real way to avoid that issue if you're looking for a yoga.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well there are matte/anti-glare screen protectors you can apply if you're into that

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm in the middle of finding a new laptop for a full fleet refresh and this is 100% the case.

Business discounts are less than you'd think mind you, we're paying... Let's say $1700ish CAD for new e7480s. But there's a lot more money to burn, and support contracts are worth their weight in gold.

Yeah, that's the other confusing thing, since businesses tend to care more about SLAs, managed transitions, image deployment and on-site contracts than the actual retail price of the machines.

Most companies split their business and consumer machines into different sales channels even if the hardware isn't much different, but Lenovo seems to actively hate the idea of consumer thinkpads and would clearly rather sell you some half-baked Yoga Book nonsense.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey all, a friend is looking for a good budget laptop and I remembered that the Acer Swift 3 was this thread's recommendation--but I think I may have misinformed my friend about the RAM. I said it could be upgraded to 16gb easily, but I've checked and maybe that's not the case?

Crucial seems to think it's doable:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/acer-swift-3

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don’t think any of them have upgradeable memory, it’s all soldered.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
How would this do for a spreadsheet/basic database/programming machine?
https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-5099669-recertified-hp-pavilion-15z-cd000-laptop-s?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_2_21

If I can add a SSD, I have a spare Samsung 840EVO 120gb
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247

Mouse Cadet fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 20, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mouse Cadet posted:

How would this do for a spreadsheet/basic database/programming machine?
https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-5099669-recertified-hp-pavilion-15z-cd000-laptop-s?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_2_21

If I can add a SSD, I have a spare Samsung 840EVO 120gb
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247
Pros: 16gb of ram. Ram is expensive now.
Cons:
- Refurb
- No ssd
- CPU: The pre-ryzen amd cpu's really aren't that good. Even for multithreaded stuff, it will only perform as well as a dual core intel processor, and for singlethreaded stuff it will perform much more poorly.

I don't really think it's worth $500. (Possibly the only exception would be if you definitely need 16gb of ram but don't need a lot of cpu performance for some reason. Usually this wouldn't be the case with anything you would be doing with a laptop.)

If you want something cheap, just get something with a dual core intel processor. If you want something to use around the house there have been lots of deals for laptops with 7th generation hq (quad core) processors recently. If you want something more portable, there are laptops with quad core 8th generation processors for fairly cheap now.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 20, 2018

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

mystes posted:

Pros: 16gb of ram. Ram is expensive now.
Cons:
- Refurb
- No ssd
- CPU: The pre-ryzen amd cpu's really aren't that good. Even for multithreaded stuff, it will only perform as well as a dual core intel processor, and for singlethreaded stuff it will perform much more poorly.

I don't really think it's worth $500. (Possibly the only exception would be if you definitely need 16gb of ram but don't need a lot of cpu performance for some reason. Usually this wouldn't be the case with anything you would be doing with a laptop.)

If you want something cheap, just get something with a dual core intel processor. If you want something to use around the house there have been lots of deals for laptops with 7th generation hq (quad core) processors recently. If you want something more portable, there are laptops with quad core 8th generation processors for fairly cheap now.

How about this?
https://www.staples.com/Dell-i3567-3465BLK-15-6-Laptop-Computer-Intel-i3-128GB-SSD-8GB-DDR4-Win-10-Intel-HD-graphics-620/product_2677755

The 1366 x 768 screen is definitely a con so if you have a better recommendation in the sub $500 range (ideally 15") please let me know.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mouse Cadet posted:

How about this?
https://www.staples.com/Dell-i3567-3465BLK-15-6-Laptop-Computer-Intel-i3-128GB-SSD-8GB-DDR4-Win-10-Intel-HD-graphics-620/product_2677755

The 1366 x 768 screen is definitely a con so if you have a better recommendation in the sub $500 range (ideally 15") please let me know.

That's not the sort of budget you should be buying new computers with. Go used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T45...ToAAOSw3p1ai62A

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What's the deal with iris graphics aka is there an argument to go with a 6560u over a 7500u

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had enough of the poo poo screen in my T470 (the 1080 panel). Is there something better I can put in it? Brighter, less fuzzy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

My Intel wifi card will be here soon for my xps13 and im thinking that im gonna grab a bigger m2 drive for it to install at the same time. I dont thinm i care about any info on the old drive so im just gonna fresh OS the new one.

My question is that since my xps originally had w10 home and then i upgraded to pro, if i just grab the key through windows system info and put it on the new HD will that key be for w10 pro or the original w10 home

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I'm looking to replace my MSI GT72 Dominator from about 3 years ago (with which I've had a great experience). It appears hard to find a direct replacement in the dominator line in terms of availability online or in stores - the titan appears to be favoured now. But there is also a new (to me) one, the GE73VR Raider. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this guy? It seems like there would be cooling issues with such a thin profile. I don't usually play bleeding edge graphics games, but I do like to crank up the settings on what I play (no 4k though). Should I just go with the 1060 or 1070? I can obviously look up my specific games, but I thought I remembered some blanket advice about overkill if you're not gaming in 4k, but that may be referencing the 1080. And I assume 16GB RAM is still fine(I'm mostly just gaming or running remote desktop for work)?

Alternatively, should I consider the Acer Predator 17 (the big brother to the thread-favourite Helios)? If I were to choose the MSI, $300 is quite the premium for 768GB of ssd storage (especially considering I have two from my current machine I can use), but the familiarity of the keyboard would be nice, and a quality display is a high priority (not that the Acer doesn't have one, but it looks to be a big selling point of the MSI). On the other hand, with the cheaper price point, I could go for the 1070 Acer and still be $200 below the MSI 1060 version.

Thanks for any insight!

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
I ended up getting this one for $500.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...NiHfX3MA&tduid=(2ef94dac50aaa1f2616285a251679194)(256380)(2459594)(lw9MynSeamY-pF5SjcYcebifRZNiHfX3MA)()&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
15.6" 1080P IPS Touchscreen Display
Core i5-8250U Quad 1.6 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache)
8GB DDR4 2400 MHz Ram
1TB Hard Drive
DVD-RW
Intel UHD 620 Graphics
Backlit Keyboard
Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 + Gigabit Ethernet
Ports:
2x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
1x HDMI 1.4b
1x 3-in-1 Card Reader
3 Cell 42 WHr Li-Ion Battery
4.85 lbs / 2.20 kg

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know someone here has taken apart a 7577 to repaste it, can you chime in as to what the heatsink mating surface was? I saw the latest LTT video and I got the urge to void some warranties again...

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I've had enough of the poo poo screen in my T470 (the 1080 panel). Is there something better I can put in it? Brighter, less fuzzy.

Isn't that already a 1920x1080 IPS panel? That's depressing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's not the sort of budget you should be buying new computers with. Go used.

I've been phrasing this wrong the whole time, will have to incorporate this in to the new OP. Thanks!

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Mouse Cadet posted:

I ended up getting this one for $500.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...NiHfX3MA&tduid=(2ef94dac50aaa1f2616285a251679194)(256380)(2459594)(lw9MynSeamY-pF5SjcYcebifRZNiHfX3MA)()&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
15.6" 1080P IPS Touchscreen Display
Core i5-8250U Quad 1.6 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache)
8GB DDR4 2400 MHz Ram
1TB Hard Drive
DVD-RW
Intel UHD 620 Graphics
Backlit Keyboard
Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 + Gigabit Ethernet
Ports:
2x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
1x HDMI 1.4b
1x 3-in-1 Card Reader
3 Cell 42 WHr Li-Ion Battery
4.85 lbs / 2.20 kg

What makes this a worse purchase than buying that used Lenovo? I am asking with 100% sincerity. I didn't buy anything after my previous posts in this thread and am considering hoping on one of these. My budget is ~$800 but I guess I missed those XPS 13 deals.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Stitecin posted:

What makes this a worse purchase than buying that used Lenovo? I am asking with 100% sincerity. I didn't buy anything after my previous posts in this thread and am considering hoping on one of these. My budget is ~$800 but I guess I missed those XPS 13 deals.

Depends on what you want it for I guess - it'd be fine if it never left your desk, but probably isn't going to hold up to actual laptop usage very well, especially with a touch screen.

You also need to factor in the cost and effort of swapping an SSD in - it's not an exaggeration to say Windows 10 is unusable with a mechanical hard disk (especially a very slow one like that laptop ships with)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Im looking at 2 acer swift 3's right now, both priced around 900€.

One has a nvidia 150MX dedicated GPU and the other has a ryzen 2700U with integrated graphics.

Some research shows the 150MX is a bit faster (around 25% faster or something?). However I'm looking for a quiet solution for low demanding games and photo editing.

Am I wrong to assume the extra 25watts of the 150MX is going to cause the cooling solution of the laptop to make more noise than the 2700U counterpart?

-edit- Ok looking further it seems like Kaby Lake G is just around the corner and promises some pretty hefty boost in perfomance. But this is at the cost of a high TDP (65W)? Is that even coolable without making too much noise?

Why is shopping for laptops so hard..

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 21, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe put a pair of glasses on your face? :v:

Unless they significantly downgraded the panel from the T460 on which I'm typing it right now, it's a perfectly fine screen for general usage IMO so I doubt you'd be able to upgrade it with anything significantly better.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dissss posted:

it's not an exaggeration to say Windows 10 is unusable with a mechanical hard disk

if you literally cant use the OS at all why do they even ship with spin disks?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My laptop overheats in a mere 2 hours, but I’d like it to live at least 8 hours a day on the regular. What’s the most powerful cooling device I can get? It’s an hp zbook 15

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Statutory Ape posted:

if you literally cant use the OS at all why do they even ship with spin disks?

same reason they use 1366x768 screens

if you're still using a spinner in 2018 lol

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I need a new laptop, it looks like a last gen XPS 13 is the way to go. How is the touchscreen for making diagrams? I had a x41t back in the oughts, and the pen input was okay, weighed down by lovely software support.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

same reason they use 1366x768 screens

if you're still using a spinner in 2018 lol

based on what he said it sounds like windows 10 wont even boot with the spinning disk though?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It will, they meant the other kind of literally. It'll suck but function.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I need a new laptop, it looks like a last gen XPS 13 is the way to go. How is the touchscreen for making diagrams? I had a x41t back in the oughts, and the pen input was okay, weighed down by lovely software support.

touchscreen and pen support work great. I use a lenovo active pen 2

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

dissss posted:

Depends on what you want it for I guess - it'd be fine if it never left your desk, but probably isn't going to hold up to actual laptop usage very well, especially with a touch screen.

You also need to factor in the cost and effort of swapping an SSD in - it's not an exaggeration to say Windows 10 is unusable with a mechanical hard disk (especially a very slow one like that laptop ships with)

Thanks, I didn't realize how much it mattered.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stitecin posted:

Size, weight, speed, build quality, reliability and battery life. The Dell might have a faster processor, but you won't notice it with the kind of workflow that machine's geared for and it'll feel like dogshit unless you replace the hard drive. Nobody needs a built-in optical drive in 2018.The 42wh is just sad on a 15" laptop, even the slim battery on the t450s beats it, and you can add a 72wh if you need it to REALLY last. Dell's inspiron line is not known for its ruggedness or build quality, whereas you could hammer nails with the thinkpad.

I guess if it stays on your desk 24/7, you still use optical discs for some reason, you already have a spare SSD and you really want that 8th gen processor, the Dell is a better deal, but in that case why the heck are you buying a laptop anyway?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jon joe posted:

My laptop overheats in a mere 2 hours, but I’d like it to live at least 8 hours a day on the regular. What’s the most powerful cooling device I can get? It’s an hp zbook 15

If your laptop overheats that frequently, it sounds like you need to clean out the heatsinks and/or fans.

And if that still fails, look at the latest LTT video, because I thought *for sure* the bottleneck in the pipeline were those dinky-rear end fin arrays and tiny fans.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Depending on its age, the heatsink compound may have dried out as well. Over time, as it dries, it loses its heat conductivity and the laptop will overheat more often.