Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Mr. Despair posted:

What if this isn't the first time Coyote's given Ysengrin his strength, not Ys would remember it :thunk:

He actually did 20 dry runs to make sure the result would properly terrify Annie and Smitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Not sure if Ysengrin's gone mad with power or always been mad at Coyote's bullshit.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Mythologically speaking Coyote has always been his own worst enemy, especially when he convinces himself he's the hot poo poo. Entirely possible that he straight up didn't realize that Ysengrin has always admired him for his strength and power and that he was never personally loyal to him. Coyote loving up in this way is not unheard of, and we shouldn't forget that Coyote also routinely fucks up at the whole "being a god" thing. For example in some mythologies Coyote was hanging out with the Creator God but couldn't stop laughing, so everything he tried to make was garbo. Within Gunnerkrigg's mythology, Coyote famously hosed up at making people, hence the shadow people. So it's well established that Coyote, while powerful, isn't exactly competent. He just happened to cruise into a place where his power was sufficient to make him seem more competent than he is. He tricked himself.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Coyote had always been a neat character to me because I grew up with this children's book with stories about coyote from my grandma inn new Mexico.

So yes self owning is very much a coyote thing.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Thought: Ysengrin with power becomes capricious and willful, i.e., Coyote.

Coyote without power becomes stubborn, jealous and proud, i.e., Ysengrin.

They've done this thousands of times.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This went in a direction I was not expecting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

He just happened to cruise into a place where his power was sufficient to make him seem more competent than he is. He tricked himself.

Let us not forget the lesson of the dead goose in a bush by a lake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poltergrift posted:

Thought: Ysengrin with power becomes capricious and willful, i.e., Coyote.

Coyote without power becomes stubborn, jealous and proud, i.e., Ysengrin.

They've done this thousands of times.

nah

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Paramemetic posted:

Mythologically speaking Coyote has always been his own worst enemy, especially when he convinces himself he's the hot poo poo. Entirely possible that he straight up didn't realize that Ysengrin has always admired him for his strength and power and that he was never personally loyal to him. Coyote loving up in this way is not unheard of, and we shouldn't forget that Coyote also routinely fucks up at the whole "being a god" thing. For example in some mythologies Coyote was hanging out with the Creator God but couldn't stop laughing, so everything he tried to make was garbo. Within Gunnerkrigg's mythology, Coyote famously hosed up at making people, hence the shadow people. So it's well established that Coyote, while powerful, isn't exactly competent. He just happened to cruise into a place where his power was sufficient to make him seem more competent than he is. He tricked himself.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Yeah, time to go Annie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh this isnt good.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Run.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That doesn't really seem like playful banter.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 21, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Haha, what a practical joker that Ysengrin is!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
This might be a good time to be the moon for awhile, Coyote.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats very clever of Coyote though, playing dead while he's being attacked.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
See? No blood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is ysengrin stealing the rest of coyote's powers?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Splicer posted:

Is ysengrin stealing the rest of coyote's powers?

Hard to say. There seems to be a formality to the process, since he had to accept the offer of one. It might be that they have to be given. Or maybe you can just eat them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I hope this is like The Stone, 3 weeks of Ys tearing Coyote apart from multiple perspectives with the occasional terrified look from Annie & Smith

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Coyote really cooked his goose on this one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think the stock phrase to reference here is "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not quite sure how the action on this page follows from the last page, but then again Coyote is a shapeshifter, so maybe he shifted his neck out of the way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not quite sure how the action on this page follows from the last page, but then again Coyote is a shapeshifter, so maybe he shifted his neck out of the way.

That's certainly a thing he can do.

Related.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

...Oh, yeah. Not counting making Shadow 3-D, Chekov's Gun there still hasn't fired.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Did he just pop open his chest, or am I looking at tree parts?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
Pretty sure that's a ribcage.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
It was at that moment that Annie understood why every adult had been telling her that the Forest was actually kind of messed up. :lol:

Also what's the over/under on Smitt's powers being the reason Coyote's plan went from "Step A" to "I did not foresee this!" immediately?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I hope this is like The Stone, 3 weeks of Ys tearing Coyote apart from multiple perspectives with the occasional terrified look from Annie & Smith

And then the bonus page is Coyote just sitting up and going 'are you done yet?' and Ys is just 'yeah, had to try'.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parts Kit posted:

It was at that moment that Annie understood why every adult had been telling her that the Forest was actually kind of messed up. :lol:

I wouldn't actually bet on it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

For a scene that's supposed to be a huge dramatic twist, it feels kind of hampered by the fact that Coyote is a trickster. It doesn't have the same impact because the reader probably figures that all is not as it appears.

The dramatic scene with Jeanne was also spoiled for different reasons.

This comic doesn't really seem to frame drama well.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Looks like there's a new top dog.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

There Bias Two posted:

For a scene that's supposed to be a huge dramatic twist, it feels kind of hampered by the fact that Coyote is a trickster. It doesn't have the same impact because the reader probably figures that all is not as it appears.

I think the crux of the drama here is not "I hope Coyote is not dead", but "Oh gently caress, Ysengrin is abandoning all pretense of sanity".

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Uh, Ysengrin, you've got some stuff in your teeth there...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Paramemetic posted:

BrightWing posted:

Coyote had always been a neat character to me because I grew up with this children's book with stories about coyote from my grandma inn new Mexico.

So yes self owning is very much a coyote thing.

:crossarms: Trickster self owns generally tend to be very bad for them and everyone around them so I don't think I follow. This is bad. Very bad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Looks like there's a new top dog.

An updog?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What's "updog"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's a dog eat dog world! :downsrim: Ahahahahahaha!

...but seriously though Coyote is gonna loving die.