Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Quotey posted:

chuds hate twitter for banning bot accounts and nazis or whatever, libs/lefties hate twitter for not doing it enough

jack in a tough spot!

https://twitter.com/MIGOP/status/966331380396380160

I'm done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Business Gorillas posted:

of course they're short-sighted, they're capitalists

if you steal every penny today who gives a gently caress about tomorrow!

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

In a 5-4 decision, brains arent fully developed until 25 therefore you can't vote until then

im ok with moving the voting age to 25 but also putting an upper limit of 60 because poo brain starts to set in

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They are authoritarians. Their instinct is to attach themselves to a strong figure and make that figure the center of their personality.

They have no ability to think critically and form principles. If they could, they wouldn't be authoritarians.

https://theauthoritarians.org

in addition to being followers they are also cowards. aggressive cowards:

"When I say authoritarian followers are aggressive I don’t mean they stride into bars and start fights. First of all, high RWAs go to church enormously more often than they go to bars. Secondly, they usually avoid anything approaching a fair fight. Instead they aggress when they believe right and might are on their side. “Right” for them means, more than anything else, that their hostility is (in their minds) endorsed by established authority, or supports such authority. “Might” means they have a huge physical advantage over their target, in weaponry say, or in numbers, as in a lynch mob. It’s striking how often authoritarian aggression happens in dark and cowardly ways, in the dark, by cowards who later will do everything they possibly can to avoid responsibility for what they did. Women, children, and others unable to defend themselves are typical victims. Even more striking, the attackers typically feel morally superior to the people they are assaulting in an unfair fight."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Real talk if they hadn't hosed over space exploration in the 70s that would be a possibility. There's not enough time for them to escape and Mars is a long way away

lol uve never seen capital actually mobilized to do anything but funnel money into pork and make creepy ad/datamining platforms

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Gen X is worthless. Millenials have failed. Gen Z might still have a chance.

omfgstfu

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Knight posted:

Hey, that may be a little premature. The oldest Millennial is 35, they didn't even have the option of running for President yet.

#MyMillenialPOTUS
#ConnectedForZuck
#TheSocialPresident

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

interesting post, thank you

where do I read more about this

start with van de mieroop's A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC and follow his footnotes and endnotes to more specialized reading.

kramer's The Sumerians is also good but will have less up to date archaeology, since it was originally published in the 60s or 70s, but i know from experience you'll have a much easier time finding a :filez: copy of it than de mieroop.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

WarMECH posted:

im ok with moving the voting age to 25 but also putting an upper limit of 60 because poo brain starts to set in

you could probably go as low as 55

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lawman 0 posted:

He should be back dragged through the streets

he’s not the only one

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"When I say authoritarian followers are aggressive I don’t mean they stride into bars and start fights. First of all, high RWAs go to church enormously more often than they go to bars. Secondly, they usually avoid anything approaching a fair fight. Instead they aggress when they believe right and might are on their side. “Right” for them means, more than anything else, that their hostility is (in their minds) endorsed by established authority, or supports such authority. “Might” means they have a huge physical advantage over their target, in weaponry say, or in numbers, as in a lynch mob. It’s striking how often authoritarian aggression happens in dark and cowardly ways, in the dark, by cowards who later will do everything they possibly can to avoid responsibility for what they did. Women, children, and others unable to defend themselves are typical victims. Even more striking, the attackers typically feel morally superior to the people they are assaulting in an unfair fight."

isnt waiting until you have a huge physical advantage literally everyone

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Boys in their late teens are much more likely to be libertarians so maybe there's something to that age limit

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the people in the GOP know they're hosed demographically so that's why they're burning down democracy, op

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

start with van de mieroop's A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC and follow his footnotes and endnotes to more specialized reading.

kramer's The Sumerians is also good but will have less up to date archaeology, since it was originally published in the 60s or 70s, but i know from experience you'll have a much easier time finding a :filez: copy of it than de mieroop.

i studied this stuff for 4 years and dont remember as much of it as you guys who are just like mostly computer touchers w passionate hobbies lol

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quotey posted:

good! that will destroy the libs

:yikes:

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
A crab scuttles softly on the wet morning sand. At first it appears confused, dazed, wandering around aimlessly. But then, you notice that the tracks in the sand it leaves are spelling out some sort of message. With bated breath you wait as, slowly, the message in the sand becomes clear:

'PISS TAPE IS REAL'

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Nichael posted:

thank you mr obama for being a spineless and weak leader, who was cucked by a geriatric turtle-man hybrid. your inaction helped install a manchurian puppet regime into our government but it was very decorous

he deserves a nice vacation!!!

(in prison)

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

A Handed Missus posted:

he deserves a nice vacation!!!

(in prison)

Mr. Session will lock him up!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
hhmmm yes just follow the endnotes to more specialized reading said me, who struggles to read basic stuff, never

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shovelbum posted:

i studied this stuff for 4 years and dont remember as much of it as you guys who are just like mostly computer touchers w passionate hobbies lol

Von Neumann held a lifelong passion for ancient history, being renowned for his prodigious historical knowledge. A professor of Byzantine history at Princeton once said that von Neumann had greater expertise in Byzantine history than he did.[53]

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Literal Hamster posted:

A crab scuttles softly on the wet morning sand. At first it appears confused, dazed, wandering around aimlessly. But then, you notice that the tracks in the sand it leaves are spelling out some sort of message. With bated breath you wait as, slowly, the message in the sand becomes clear:

'PISS TAPE IS REAL'

this is my meditation visualisation

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the right wing is based in cowardice, and as corny as it is to say it, a lot of that has to do with embracing hate over compassion. it takes bravery to respect and love people and the environment; it's really easy to just be an enormous poo poo who wants to gently caress over everything.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

God drat would I be proud of my kids for standing up to something like this. With kids of my own, that text message line hits hard.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ArmZ posted:

Von Neumann held a lifelong passion for ancient history, being renowned for his prodigious historical knowledge. A professor of Byzantine history at Princeton once said that von Neumann had greater expertise in Byzantine history than he did.[53]

Byzantine history is honestly extremely good and very useful if you have an interest in diplomacy or international relations

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

its almost like stem ppl are effortlessly smarter at humanities stuff bc they have conditioned their minds to operate rigorously

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

shovelbum posted:

i have a masters in the subject my dude, my thesis was investigating a set of undeciphered cuneiform tablets held at a state art museum

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zeal posted:

thank you, and no worries I have my ways of getting these things

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

the people in the GOP know they're hosed demographically so that's why they're burning down democracy, op

we are seeing this unfold in real time with trump and the gop pushing their tax reform and trying to gut entitlements (only for those under 55!) before their attempts at voter suppression and gerrymandering can no longer keep them in power

so many retiring congressmen this year and only going to be more

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what are the odds that this is another version of the @TEN_GOP propaganda account?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

y'all say Millennials aren't prominent in politics yet but have you checked out how old KJU is?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

*extremely euphroniously* actually the PA GOP is good and normal

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

zeal posted:

i have a masters in the subject my dude, my thesis was investigating a set of undeciphered cuneiform tablets held at a state art museum

did they end up being a shopping list

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Altermeyer's thing on right-wing authoritarians has been floating around for a long time but I've always been pretty skeptical of that much pathologizing

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's still more likely for you to be shot than a teacher or student

Last year 66 cops where killed in shootings. So far this year 21 students have been killed in school shootings... but my main point is it's insane that kids wake up and actually worry about this on a daily basis. It kills me that my daughter might have those fears one day. That she might have to make a decision one day to use herself as a human shield to protect her friends or get killed because she holds a door open for others. I chose to do what I do. I can pretty much retire at any time now if I wanted. She won't have that choice.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

zeal posted:

That's cool op

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

holy gently caress you mustve been an academic god i was so unprepared as an undergrad thinking about it makes me literally want to die of shame, i never even got latin+greek+german+french down well enuf

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/andreamtcorsini/status/966249882305646594

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zeal posted:

did it say piss tape is real

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

*extremely euphroniously* actually the PA GOP is good and normal

he's never said that but he has pointed out things you're too dumb to understand such as "parties filing lawsuits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Literal Hamster posted:

'PISS TAPE IS REAL'

• Locked thread