Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just kick my food's rear end

I just beat the poo poo out of it

toaster pastries, soup dumplings, dry white toast, you name it, I have kicked its rear end with my powerful arms and legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: all these hipsters living in 18th-century hovels lording it up on us moderns

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The specific thing that made me mention it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGSijQFIDg&t=1487s (excuse the bad music, it's just an example). Like he is twisting so many knobs but it doesn't seem like it changes anything that I can hear anyway.

I used to poke fun at my boyfriend a lot because he produces electronic music. I always figured that nobody ever really knew what all those knobs did and just twiddled blindly until something they liked happened. But I started dabbling into sound design myself. Knobs are infinite potential. Knobs are life. :science:

A lot of what the garbage music man in the video was doing was basically just sidechaining and futzing around with sample rates -- a common thing that a lot of producers, good and bad, do that looks impressive to an audience but is a pretty average part of making the music in general.

I guess my pet peeve is how drat hard it is for electronic musicians to engage an audience. You go and see a band or something, and you're impressed with the music and the band as people but, going to electronic shows, people just show up to dance or nod or whatever the mood calls for. Lot of people could give a poo poo less that the actual musician is there. People like Flying Lotus get it halfway right with high quality projection shows, but it always seems a little impersonal still. No idea what makes the concept so hard.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
I'll give you a hint: a guitar is really just a big weenis with frets

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm glad my junior high made everyone take home ec. I was taught early about the danger of dull knives. I can't imagine being too insecure to accept that I should use the right tool for the job.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crimpolioni posted:

It's the exact same mentality responsible for titanium whiskey stones and any kinda product sold by the Man Company. After I got rid of my freezer I never looked back, and wouldn't you know it, fresh local produce that hasn't been frozen solid for a year doesn't require a battle axe to prepare it. Like, knife it up if you want, just be honest about what you're doing.

oh ok, i concede

as any decent chef, i tear up garlic with my bare hands

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just chew the garlic and spit it in the pot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

God drat did you all get trolled hard.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

God drat did you all get trolled hard.

around the start of the previous page I realized that it was a toe knife joke that had gone over my head

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
When you come back to work after being sick and everyone acts like you were playing hookey. It's funny the first couple times but then they carry on and you start to think they actually believe you were lying. I just spent thirty-six hours barfing my guts out and another eighteen sleeping through a fever but sure, party down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MNSNTZR posted:

I used to poke fun at my boyfriend a lot because he produces electronic music. I always figured that nobody ever really knew what all those knobs did and just twiddled blindly until something they liked happened. But I started dabbling into sound design myself. Knobs are infinite potential. Knobs are life. :science:

A lot of what the garbage music man in the video was doing was basically just sidechaining and futzing around with sample rates -- a common thing that a lot of producers, good and bad, do that looks impressive to an audience but is a pretty average part of making the music in general.

I guess my pet peeve is how drat hard it is for electronic musicians to engage an audience. You go and see a band or something, and you're impressed with the music and the band as people but, going to electronic shows, people just show up to dance or nod or whatever the mood calls for. Lot of people could give a poo poo less that the actual musician is there. People like Flying Lotus get it halfway right with high quality projection shows, but it always seems a little impersonal still. No idea what makes the concept so hard.

Yeah it's just hard to tell what the knobs are doing without being familiar with what they even can do. I'm sure it's plainly obvious to people who have experience in it. As a non-peeve side-question, why does he keep taking his headphones off and putting them back on?

Anyway tiggum, you pick the weirdest hills to die on. If you can't see the value of a sharp knife compared to a serrated knife in any situation you must not cut many things.

e: can you do this with your steak knife?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pshc7ohTMEk&t=26s

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Feb 19, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you can't see the value of a sharp knife compared to a serrated knife in any situation you must not cut many things.

There are non-serrated steak knives.

There are also serrated knives with actual sharpened edges that cut fairly cleanly. (These get sharpened with a round ceramic file.)

there are many kinds of good knives

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What, slice things? Yes. Easily. Not as quickly as Gordon Ramsay but at a decent pace.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MNSNTZR posted:

Twenty five odd years of electronic music shows being an excuse to take drugs and party would be my guess.

Plus a lot of electronic musicians are probably just awkward people to start, especially new electronic musicians. Futzing with a DAW in your bedroom doesn't really lend itself to developing any kind of stage presence, and a lot of that community is mostly online so even if they're social, they're not in-person social. Add to that they're basically hidden behind equipment and a lot of their interaction is messing with samples and you don't have a whole lot of ways to communicate with the audience.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I can dice a carrot with a dull knife or a steak knife too but I don't like having half of the carrot flying around the room.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not hard to skate up hill and in fact if the hill is steep enough, easier than walking up it.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Ah yes, the one time a dull blade works better and you fuckers find it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think you'll find dull blades are actually safer when using the knives for juggling purposes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pet peeve: people always going on about traveling and sunsets. I've got all that and more right here in my dark, cat-piss smelling hovel, and my serrated steak knife works just fine to chop up frozen pizza tyvm. Dunno why you'd ever go out of your way to try any Gordon Ramsay "cuisine" poo poo.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pet peeve: people always going on about traveling and sunsets. I've got all that and more right here in my dark, cat-piss smelling hovel, and my serrated steak knife works just fine to chop up frozen pizza tyvm. Dunno why you'd ever go out of your way to try any Gordon Ramsay "cuisine" poo poo.

You're a very angry young man, aren't you?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

gordon ramsay seems like an rear end in a top hat and ice skates aren't serrated

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He's only an rear end in a top hat if you're poo poo. Be less poo poo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
the coworker i was whining about earlier in the thread thinks the Florida school shooting kids are crisis actors. boss told him he is not allowed to talk about that at work and he responded by going "but [more crisis actor bullshit over top of boss's repeated "don't talk about this at work]" but he's not getting in trouble or anything. i want to put his head through the window

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is one of those times when I read the post and was like "damnit tiggum not this sunset poo poo again" and was actually surprised to see it wasn't him.

e: maybe thats :thejoke: though

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

gordon ramsay seems like an rear end in a top hat and ice skates aren't serrated

watch his non-hell's kitchen or US kitchen nightmares shows. The over the top angry stuff is just a persona he puts on. He might not be the best person outside of it but he's not that mean, unless you're an alleged professional chef who can't cook a scallop in his kitchen then he might be irritated.

Unrelated sidenote: watch his documentary thing about shark finning. You would think when one of the most successful chefs in the world says in front of a camera that there is no culinary value/reason to use shark fins in food people would listen, but they don't. Actual peeve: people who turn a blind eye to stuff like the eradication of sharks because they are scary and the whole "gently caress the ocean" attitude.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That doc was just fear mongering about the Chinese population in Britain. I don't see Ramsay showing how the ducks suffer when they create foie gras. Suddenly he's concerned for the well being of sharks?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

That doc was just fear mongering about the Chinese population in Britain. I don't see Ramsay showing how the ducks suffer when they create foie gras. Suddenly he's concerned for the well being of sharks?

Just because he doesn't care equally about everything doesn't mean the facts (not opinions) about shark finning are wrong. It's not a ramsay thing, he just has a prominent documentary about a real issue. How was it even fear mongering? It showed people cutting off a shark's limbs alive and being tossed back in the ocean. Am I supposed to see that and say "yeah sure that's fine" because the chinese like it?

And besides, you can tell by the way he talks in the documentary he would have been cool with it if it actually was some delicious delicacy instead of a tasteless "it's expensive because rich people want it" luxury.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The whole thing only targets a minority non-white group for a practice that isn't even that bad. Why is killing a shark that way more cruel than something like eating a dozen oysters while they are alive. I bet Ramsay's restaurants go through a billion oysters a year and it's not like oysters taste particularly good. Westerners think it's an aphrodisiac, but only really like it because it's considered a luxury. Chinese think of shark fin the same way.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The whole thing only targets a minority non-white group for a practice that isn't even that bad. Why is killing a shark that way more cruel than something like eating a dozen oysters while they are alive. I bet Ramsay's restaurants go through a billion oysters a year and it's not like oysters taste particularly good. Westerners think it's an aphrodisiac, but only really like it because it's considered a luxury. Chinese think of shark fin the same way.

sorry you're an goddamn idiot about animals and think it's somehow racist? Oysters don't have brains, Sharks do. Oysters can live in farms(this is where most of them come from also), Sharks can't and are also various shades of endangered.

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Feb 21, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Again, you can think more than one thing is bad at the same time. A ton of people will strongly disagree with you about oysters not tasting good. Oysters aren't even a luxury, there's a raw oyster bar in basically every moderate sized town that's anywhere near an ocean. Shark fin is not even close to the same thing.

I've been disgusted by a lot of goon opinions but this tops them all, like seriously, severing all the limbs of a sentient animal and dumping it because its flesh isn't worth enough is "not that bad"? e: because i feel like I need to emphasize it to get through to you: while it's still alive

e2: serious question mu zeta: hypothetically if white people were doing this instead of the chinese, would you still have no problem with it?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Feb 21, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elizabethan Error posted:

sorry you're an goddamn idiot about animals and think it's somehow racist? Oysters don't have brains, Sharks do. Oysters can live in farms(this is where most of them come from also), Sharks can't and are also various shades of endangered.

Sub oysters for literally anything else they serve in his restaurants then. Like veal. Do we really need to be killing cute babies. Has ramsay expressed disgust for any other practice besides the shark thing? Why just the sharks?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Sub oysters for literally anything else they serve in his restaurants then. Like veal. Do we really need to be killing cute babies. Has ramsay expressed disgust for any other practice besides the shark thing? Why just the sharks?

Cows aren't going extinct you loving moron.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because they don't dismember the cows while they're still alive, probably.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That doc is about an angry white dude lecturing a minority chinese group on how to behave. Fix your own poo poo first.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Stop trying to make this about gordon himself. It's an issue of animal cruelty. Just because he ignores other cases doesn't mean he's wrong about sharks, like I said at the beginning.

if it was a "minority chinese group" sharks wouldn't be going extinct so quickly because of finning. Look up the numbers. China isn't some obscure small country.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cows don't have their legs cut off before getting thrown back into the field.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That doc is about an angry white dude lecturing a minority chinese group on how to behave. Fix your own poo poo first.
that's so reductionist i'm literally losing braincells trying to grasp your stupid shitbrain 'point'

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And I'm saying Ramsay doesn't care. He's totally fine with ducks being tortured and he'll happily slaughter pigs until they go extinct. The doc is about the Chinese being backward, primitive, and barely a civilization. The best part was the finale scene where he brings out a group of chinese restaurant owners and lectures them about being monsters in front of a bunch of cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Noted endangered animals pigs and ducks