Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orty
May 14, 2007

RCarr posted:

You saying you are actively against using the classes two most useful roles is kind of insane to be honest. It’s like saying are you ok with me playing a warrior if I just DPS and don’t want to tank.

I said earlier that I learned to play a bard from scratch on Phinny. I got the hang of pulling and CCing pretty quickly. It’s not hard, it just takes effort. I suggest rolling a bard and learning how to play it well. You’ll have a blast.

Not actively against it. I just remember being horrible at pulling (though I never got to use fading memories and such much). I also remember CCing being pretty hectic for me. Admittedly that was like 10+ years ago (good god), and I also only got to lvl 63. Totally willing to learn it, just worried ill end up being terrible at it still and have wasted time I could have spent on a much simpler class.

Oh no your suggestions were great and just what I wanted to hear about. The aggressive people I mentioned were people I asked offsite.
I can understand the min/max aspect, and the crowd on these types of serves are mostly those kinds of people.

Back when I played bards were in the situation you mentioned, basically just there for regen and buffing the group. Maybe occasional CC if needed (no ench) or pulling if no one else could. At the tail end of me playing (and when I was higher in levels) they were more and more in that role.

Not sure why it comes off that I am absolutely refusing to CC/Pull/Etc. I am willing to learn how to, but will admit pulling has never been that fun for me.

Orty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Orty posted:

worried ill end up being terrible at it still and have wasted time I could have spent on a much simpler class.

This. Plenty of other jobs (all the INT casters except enchanter (holy poo poo please don’t make an enchanter I don’t even want to yell at you for refusing to charm as an enchanter), rogue) allow you to sit on your rear end for hours on end standing up to cast the same 3-4 spells every fight (or just auto attack backstab / hide) in basically the same order / timing.

Don’t play the most on the ball requiring melee class if you have no interest in learning it, people stopped being okay with carrying after playing the 1-60 game more than once.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 21, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Sort of reminds me of launch week on Agnarr. Melee classes were non-existent because they were effectively useless compared to casters largely due to weapon / stat problems from literal patchwork armor dropping as upgrades in Lower Guk (in their 40s). Monks were of course, always welcomed. But guess what? We always had at least ONE melee, even if we didn’t have a tank, that melee’s only job was to pull. A 4 int dps / cleric / melee totally works as a leveling group. Bards were the best grab because Selos works indoors, they have lull, etc. Hell we even had a rogue pulling for us because he was the best role to do what the group needed.

Orty
May 14, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

This. Plenty of other jobs (all the INT casters except enchanter (holy poo poo please don’t make an enchanter I don’t even want to yell at you for refusing to charm as an enchanter), rogue) allow you to sit on your rear end for hours on end standing up to cast the same 3-4 spells every fight (or just auto attack backstab / hide) in basically the same order / timing.

Don’t play the most on the ball requiring melee class if you have no interest in learning it, people stopped being okay with carrying after playing the 1-60 game more than once.

Never really been a fan of playing an int caster, always enjoyed melee. I have always wanted to have an enchanter but I am smart enough to not go that route since I know I would be terrible keeping up with charms and cc. Even though I did charm kiting as a bard just fine. But now that you mention it maybe I will go enchanter!

I guess the question then becomes, continue with bard and hope people are willing to let me learn, or just go rogue and maybe do the bard later?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Orty posted:

Not actively against it. I just remember being horrible at pulling (though I never got to use fading memories and such much). I also remember CCing being pretty hectic for me. Admittedly that was like 10+ years ago (good god), and I also only got to lvl 63. Totally willing to learn it, just worried ill end up being terrible at it still and have wasted time I could have spent on a much simpler class.

If you are willing to learn it, then you'll get good at it. Unless you are pants on head stupid, it's not hard to be competent at pulling and/or CCing as a bard. You just keep saying it like there's a slim chance of you ever getting good at it. CCing is always hectic, that's the nature of the game, but there's no greater feeling than saving your group by playing your class well.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

So long as you don’t have the memory of a goldfish it isn’t that hard to cycle nearest targets with tab, check for flashing mez debuff, mouseover to see duration remaining, rinse repeat to find your re-mez order.

Just make your bard and burnout by 20 already. :v:

E: I agree pulling is lame, i don’t play a melee class that would pull because i got tired of tunnel running simulator. Also means I can literally never chat, which is half the gameplay in dungeons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree I never really enjoyed pulling, but you can really make xp fly by keeping the mobs flowing in.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
On the other side though, as someone who has only ever played monk and bard, you get to see and learn the dungeon so much better.

But yeah, hard to chat, if you take a piss everything stops, etc.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Once the servers go back up I think I am just going to do rogue and once (if) I get established then I can go for the bard. Seems like it would be the best route to go. Probably will be doing Halfling for it, even though I know Barb/Dwarf are technically "better".

onesixtwo posted:

So long as you don’t have the memory of a goldfish it isn’t that hard to cycle nearest targets with tab, check for flashing mez debuff, mouseover to see duration remaining, rinse repeat to find your re-mez order.

Just make your bard and burnout by 20 already. :v:

E: I agree pulling is lame, i don’t play a melee class that would pull because i got tired of tunnel running simulator. Also means I can literally never chat, which is half the gameplay in dungeons.

Flashing mez debuff with duration remaining? You can view debuffs on mobs now? Did I completely forget about that or was that not a thing till more recent? Would make things a lot easier, but still going to do rogue.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Orty posted:

Flashing mez debuff with duration remaining? You can view debuffs on mobs now? Did I completely forget about that or was that not a thing till more recent? Would make things a lot easier, but still going to do rogue.

Yes you can see debuffs and how long they will last on mobs now and it’s one of the best quality of life improvements the game has ever had.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

Yes you can see debuffs and how long they will last on mobs now and it’s one of the best quality of life improvements the game has ever had.

Speaking of - as of today, all servers can CLICK FROM BAGS ZOMG

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Spell block is huge for Agnarr too. Being able to go afk in time and not have buffs land due to max buffs is nice.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

What actually is Spell Blocking? Thats an unfamiliar mechanic from eras I didn’t play I think.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It means that beneficial spell will not land on you. Lots of buffs have weird stacking issues, so it's nice to block the ones you don't want so that you can get the buffs you do want

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Solarin posted:

Are you playing with guild groups and do you use AE stuns to manage everything? I usually like small group stuff at the most so I'm sure my pov is different

Its mostly guild groups, but mainly my box bard aoe slows while my pally group heals for threat. and I let them kill themselves on the 100 pt DS.

Also, any of you in Mess? You guys are legit. Nothin but great experiences with you guys.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Orty posted:

Oh no your suggestions were great and just what I wanted to hear about. The aggressive people I mentioned were people I asked offsite.
I can understand the min/max aspect, and the crowd on these types of serves are mostly those kinds of people.

Back when I played bards were in the situation you mentioned, basically just there for regen and buffing the group. Maybe occasional CC if needed (no ench) or pulling if no one else could. At the tail end of me playing (and when I was higher in levels) they were more and more in that role.

Not sure why it comes off that I am absolutely refusing to CC/Pull/Etc. I am willing to learn how to, but will admit pulling has never been that fun for me.

Even if you don't like pulling, a bard working with a monk team is extremely beneficial (for raids, anyways). You are a crucial class to have around if you know what you're doing, and, even if you don't, being able to learn and get that experience is worthwhile. Send me a message with your toon name here, I like bards, if you are on Agnarr.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Well made a Rogue and got to 7. Love doing actual DPS (though at this level Bard probably does the same). Bit boring since its just auto attack at the moment.

Would a frozen shard or crystalline spider fang be better to start out with? What should I try and grab for my offhand?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Well made a Rogue and got to 7. Love doing actual DPS (though at this level Bard probably does the same). Bit boring since its just auto attack at the moment.

Would a frozen shard or crystalline spider fang be better to start out with? What should I try and grab for my offhand?

I think you want the highest max damage piercer you can find for your main hand, that will give you bigger backstabs. So the frozen shard, rabid chokdai fang or serpents tooth are all good choices. Offhand just go with the best ratio or stats you can find, and if you really care to get a slash and blunt weapon you can switch in to work on your weapon skills as you level.

Post your chars name if you want and I can send you some starter jewelry

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

FranktheBank posted:

Its mostly guild groups, but mainly my box bard aoe slows while my pally group heals for threat. and I let them kill themselves on the 100 pt DS.

Also, any of you in Mess? You guys are legit. Nothin but great experiences with you guys.

I’m in Mess now, as I couldn’t make WTG raid times anymore. Good group of folks, and so are WTG! Had a ton of pleasant experiences with y’all and lots of politeness re: shard/frame camps.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Orty posted:

I've got daggers for you when you post a character name.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Rosni is my Rogue and Lubeni is my Bard.

Actually had a friend toss me a krono so im decently geared, sadly friend is not playing on Agnarr. Thank you for the daggers/jewelry offers though!

Still not sure how much im feeling rogue. Got it to 13 so dual wield and backstabbing now, little more to do during fights (when the tank can keep things off me). Already feeling the group waiting as well, luckily someone picked me up to kill some crocs in sro.

Keep having people recommend me classes to play instead of bard/rogue, basically all have suggested ranger with a couple beastlord for some reason. I have never played either class and know nothing about them.

Rangers I think are melee dps until ~60 when they get those AAs that make bows good right? Sometimes they tank too?
Bestlord I got no clue, pet dps class that can slow/etc?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Beastlords are just flat out trash for Agnarr as they don’t actually get much better way later.

Rangers golden age is luclin.

Rogues are solid dps throughout.

If you are going to box a melee then I’d go either bard/monk or even better shaman/monk or even better shaman/SK. The later is all kinds of own age in PoP and you’ll be filthy rich farming plane of water and bastion of thunder.

Thing is with a rogue is that you’ll be tanking and not back stabbing so your dps is going to tank massively.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Rosni is my Rogue and Lubeni is my Bard.

Actually had a friend toss me a krono so im decently geared, sadly friend is not playing on Agnarr. Thank you for the daggers/jewelry offers though!

Still not sure how much im feeling rogue. Got it to 13 so dual wield and backstabbing now, little more to do during fights (when the tank can keep things off me). Already feeling the group waiting as well, luckily someone picked me up to kill some crocs in sro.

Keep having people recommend me classes to play instead of bard/rogue, basically all have suggested ranger with a couple beastlord for some reason. I have never played either class and know nothing about them.

Rangers I think are melee dps until ~60 when they get those AAs that make bows good right? Sometimes they tank too?
Bestlord I got no clue, pet dps class that can slow/etc?

Just a rogue tip that is not really obvious at first - you can use hide during combat to attempt to drop aggro. Mechanically I don't know how it works but it seems really effective when it doesn't fail.

I think all the pure melee classes are dead simple in combat until later expansions. If you want a bigger toolkit then ranger is a really good choice. Beastlords are pretty niche, I would recommend a shaman over a Beastlord unless you really loved the BL concept.

You have to really work on building or finding a group if you don't want to be stuck LFG for long stretches. Being stuck there absolutely sucks for rogues, can be just completely demoralizing. Maybe switch between your two chars when groups aren't happening for one or the other. Shoot a tell to my enchanter (Librarian) if you need a hand with anything

Orty
May 14, 2007

Tai posted:

Beastlords are just flat out trash for Agnarr as they don’t actually get much better way later.

Rangers golden age is luclin.

Rogues are solid dps throughout.

If you are going to box a melee then I’d go either bard/monk or even better shaman/monk or even better shaman/SK. The later is all kinds of own age in PoP and you’ll be filthy rich farming plane of water and bastion of thunder.

Thing is with a rogue is that you’ll be tanking and not back stabbing so your dps is going to tank massively.

Yeah not really interested in BST. Sadly I am not going to be boxing anything. So all dependent on others for groups.

Solarin posted:

Just a rogue tip that is not really obvious at first - you can use hide during combat to attempt to drop aggro. Mechanically I don't know how it works but it seems really effective when it doesn't fail.

I think all the pure melee classes are dead simple in combat until later expansions. If you want a bigger toolkit then ranger is a really good choice. Beastlords are pretty niche, I would recommend a shaman over a Beastlord unless you really loved the BL concept.

You have to really work on building or finding a group if you don't want to be stuck LFG for long stretches. Being stuck there absolutely sucks for rogues, can be just completely demoralizing. Maybe switch between your two chars when groups aren't happening for one or the other. Shoot a tell to my enchanter (Librarian) if you need a hand with anything

Yeah I have been making use of evade. I love that you don't have to macro it with start/stop attacking anymore.

I probably should have gone with Ranger over Rogue. I just never played one, and they seem to be EVERYWHERE on this server. I guess I could switch to it, all the gear I have would work on one except maybe weapons. I am only level 13 after all.

Just thinking about how difficult it probably is going to be to farm stuff myself on a rogue at higher levels.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tomahawk posted:

I’m in Mess now, as I couldn’t make WTG raid times anymore. Good group of folks, and so are WTG! Had a ton of pleasant experiences with y’all and lots of politeness re: shard/frame camps.

Oi, is this cockmagic?! Miss you man! Hope you are having fun!

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I think I am gonna start new set of toons. Finally time to level enchanter and probably a wizard. Are there any leveling spots in Luclin that are super good? Or do I just hit Unrest and Guk?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Solarin posted:

Fun Fact:

Hide was hilariously broken all the way through most of Kunark to where it would always drop you to 1 aggro on a mobs hate list when it succeeded which had a side effect of bumping everyone else up[ 1 space constantly.

It was the only reason rogues could use weapons like serrated bone dirks and obsidian shards without ripping threat off tanks.

I remember after they fixed it to drop hate by a fixed amount getting instagibbed sometimes because of lucky Bloodpoint chain procs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

I think I am gonna start new set of toons. Finally time to level enchanter and probably a wizard. Are there any leveling spots in Luclin that are super good? Or do I just hit Unrest and Guk?

Enc/cleric a strong combo. Wiz not so much. You’ll rip aggro a lot.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Orty posted:

Started up on Agnarr with a bard. Thinking about maybe just doing rogue after all though. Asked around about if how I can play bard is at all what people would be ok with, and pretty much everyone said no. Some even getting really aggressive with it, telling me to just quit because I obviously suck at the class and the game isn't for me.

People seem to be REALLY insulted over the fact that I don't enjoy and kinda suck at pulling or CCing as bard. Even when I mention I would try to learn. Not sure if I touched a nerve with the "EVERYONE MUST PLAY PERFECTLY OR ELSE" Min/Max crowd or what.

Not sure what to do. I love bard but I don't want to go around being a sucky bard. Back when I used to play the group composition of my friends allowed me to just be support without having to worry about pulling or CCing much. Rogue would be fine to play and ive always wanted to. Just lack of the utility I am used to with a bard (selos), and the supposed difficulty in finding groups worries me.

My live main is a bard and the class is fun and definitely worth sticking with. Buuut.... Pulling is a thing you will be asked to do in pugs. The good news, is that you have the tools to make it easy mode. Lull songs work both indoors and outdoors and very few mobs are immune to lull provided they meet the level requirements of the song. Also look into the aa Fading Memories. I don't remember the exact level you get it, but I'm guessing it's available at the point where Agnarr is at with progression. Fade removes all agro from all mobs, puts invis on, is insta-cast and allows you to keep running unlike monk feign death. If you get a bad pull, just fade and try again. Look me up in serverwide.gchat if you have any questions about bard play. Character name is the same as my sa username.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Tai posted:

Enc/cleric a strong combo. Wiz not so much. You’ll rip aggro a lot.

Oh its not to duo so much. I have plenty of 60s, Jsut wanted an enchanter to level up some crafting/tinkering and a wizard to do ports and contest mobs.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

FranktheBank posted:

That sounds like a good strategy. What is the best set of songs/instruments for stacking DS anyway?

I have been wanting to try doing power leveling with my bard and don't really know where to start. Do you generally want a Druid/Mage DS in addition to your songs?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Solarin posted:

That sounds like a good strategy. What is the best set of songs/instruments for stacking DS anyway?

I have been wanting to try doing power leveling with my bard and don't really know where to start. Do you generally want a Druid/Mage DS in addition to your songs?

McVaxius Rousing Rondo, Amplification, Psalm of whatever (all 4 have the same DS). Epic is the only instrument that boosts Psalm. Brass adds a few points to Rondo.1 Mage/Druid DS is very nice to add if you can, as well as DS potion.

I can do 70 dmg from just those 3 songs. I can go up to above 100 with mage/druid ds.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Is it just me, or for those here that play Warriors feel like Defensive Discipline has been nerfed? I remember incoming damage being a hell of a lot more mitigated than what it is now, even using player AC in the calculation. It feels like now it's solely based off total damage for a simple "one and done" calculation.

If anyone has a thread or dev post on it if it has, that would phenomenal.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
On Agnarr? It's just 45% less damage taken right?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

FranktheBank posted:

On Agnarr? It's just 45% less damage taken right?

Yea on Agnarr - It hasn't been like that always; I remember AC, level, and overall HP being a factor. Even if it was, 45% less taken doesn't even seem right. I'll parse some fights tonight and see what I have for some actual raw data.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

Yea on Agnarr - It hasn't been like that always; I remember AC, level, and overall HP being a factor. Even if it was, 45% less taken doesn't even seem right. I'll parse some fights tonight and see what I have for some actual raw data.

It feels like AC plays a HUGE role. We were looking at average hits from AoW on our warriors and my paladin and its not THAT big.

Upper geared warriors - 600-650s
Lower geared warriors - 750ish
Paladin - 850-900ish

Orty
May 14, 2007

Having tons of fun on Agnarr, currently ripping through Unrest or at least trying. Got to 24 1/2 before my group got trained by someone PLing. Then another 5 box PLer came in. This was of course after spending 30 minutes trying to find a group. Because the previous one I had kicked and immediately replaced me when I let them know I would be needing to afk (and would drop group) a half hour from then.

Server seems to be full of real winners. It might be "true box" but everyone seems to have a pocket druid/cleric/whatever. I guess that is just how EQ is now, everyone boxing?

Still, I am having fun and making ok progress on leveling. Definitely feeling the group finding boredom though. Rogue has picked up in how fun it is as well, I heard 30 is when it gets even better? Still slightly wish I made a ranger (bow attack seems fun) but too late now.

How many goons are playing Agnarr? I joined the serverwide.gchat and havent been noticing too many people on.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Having tons of fun on Agnarr, currently ripping through Unrest or at least trying. Got to 24 1/2 before my group got trained by someone PLing. Then another 5 box PLer came in. This was of course after spending 30 minutes trying to find a group. Because the previous one I had kicked and immediately replaced me when I let them know I would be needing to afk (and would drop group) a half hour from then.

Server seems to be full of real winners. It might be "true box" but everyone seems to have a pocket druid/cleric/whatever. I guess that is just how EQ is now, everyone boxing?

Still, I am having fun and making ok progress on leveling. Definitely feeling the group finding boredom though. Rogue has picked up in how fun it is as well, I heard 30 is when it gets even better? Still slightly wish I made a ranger (bow attack seems fun) but too late now.

How many goons are playing Agnarr? I joined the serverwide.gchat and havent been noticing too many people on.

Yeah boxing is common, the true box limit doesn't really hinder you much when it comes to having a buff/heal bot tag along out of group. It's very little effort for a huge boost to your effectiveness at low levels so you see it a lot.

26 is a nice level for rogues, that's the point where your worn haste is no longer capped at 10%. Also as you level your total haste (worn+song or spell) cap gets higher up to +100% at 60. I think 50 is when you can get your epic and 55 is double backstab.

I play on Agnarr on a bunch of characters but have been away due to a dying PC. I have a SK at 35 I think when you get up to that range. The serverwide channel is pretty quiet, I think most Agnarr goons are busy with their guilds so there's very little pick up goon group action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Decided to give Agnarr a try. I am pretty casual, but running a ranger Porqueno. Are there any decent casual levelling guilds on the server?