Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
ice jam in the grand river broke today. state of emergency in Brantford, lots of neighbourhoods evacuated and a couple reports of vehicles being swept away, including one with a child that is now missing.

wish I'd taken some pictures of the jam before it broke, it was a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Martian Manfucker posted:

ice jam in the grand river broke today. state of emergency in Brantford, lots of neighbourhoods evacuated and a couple reports of vehicles being swept away, including one with a child that is now missing.

I've been seeing this nonstop from the few friends I have on Facebook still in Brantford.

I'm just glad my parents live in the north end.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah thankfully my in-laws all live in the north end as well.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Someone just told me they've been "red flagged" by the cops and will be forcibly removed from a designated, otherwise public area. No court orders or anything of that nature are in place. Assuming there's some truth to that, who do I get in touch with? Or is this something that is commonplace?

I've never heard of anything similar that wasn't also a massive rights infraction and shady as hell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Martian Manfucker posted:

Why don't they preemptively break up the jams?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just another posted:

Someone just told me they've been "red flagged" by the cops and will be forcibly removed from a designated, otherwise public area. No court orders or anything of that nature are in place. Assuming there's some truth to that, who do I get in touch with? Or is this something that is commonplace?

I've never heard of anything similar that wasn't also a massive rights infraction and shady as hell.

They probably protested an oil company

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah that's way too fact-specific a situation to guess at from what little you've been told.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s probably a park with kids.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they preemptively break up the jams?

last time it was close to this bad was 2011 and they had the CCGS Griffin come in and break it up. there was talk after that of developing some kind of system to control the jams but as far as I know nothings come of it.

the CCGS Griffin was actually at the mouth of the grand in lake erie yesterday breaking up the ice there, after being requested on Monday. unfortunately the jam that broke was much further down and fueled by the warm weather and heavy rain.

I want to say that the number of low bridges along the grand river make getting a proper ice breaker in there very difficult/impossible, but I have no idea, to be honest. could just be that the county can't afford it.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

They probably protested an oil company

It's a teenager who's 'caused too much trouble' in the area but AFAIK it's not tied to any court orders. He said that someone else he knows isn't allowed in town, period. I asked if it was a band policy but apparently it's the local cops.

I dunno, just sent a bunch of alarms off in my head the way he described it. It sounds very starlight tour-y.

just another fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 21, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Band" as in a First Nation? As in he's an Indigenous kid who's been threatened with arrest by white cops if they see him in a public place again?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

He made it sound more like they'd forcibly remove him from the area if they caught him there, don't know if that means a formal arrest.

But yeah, he's a First Nation kid. May or may not be white cops. We're a 35% First Nation community with a local RCMP detachment and I don't know how integrated it is here in town.

Could all be hearsay and hype, though. I'm going to check with his youth worker and see if he's heard similar things.

e.
I was mistaken, it's a local RCMP detachment and not its own police department.

just another fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 21, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

oh cool the rcmp are bastards

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yeah stop it you guys that's our job - the honourable cf

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What's more likely to cause maximum chaos? Brown being allowed to run or being denied?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

One, then a week after the provincial writ drops, the other.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

One, then a week after the provincial writ drops, the other.

Oh god yes.

Realistically, either way there's some big splits in the party. Him being allowed to run could be hilarious given the ethics complaint and the amount of effort from <somewhere> to marginalize him though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/02/20/questionable-behaviour-on-military-flights-sparks-defence-minister-warning.html

quote:

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan has issued a fresh caution that inappropriate sexual behaviour is “completely unacceptable” after reports of excessive drinking and questionable conduct on military flights that fly musicians, entertainers and athletes to visit troops deployed overseas.

In a statement Tuesday, Sajjan spokesperson Byrne Furlong said that inappropriate behaviour “will not be tolerated.

“Our government takes all allegations of sexual misconduct seriously,” she said.

The defence department has been grappling with the fall-out of a morale-boosting tour last December to visit Canadian troops in Greece and Latvia.

Earlier this month, the military announced that former Maple Leafs player Dave “Tiger” Williams — among the former NHL stars on that trip — had been charged with assault and sexual assault for alleged incidents onboard a military aircraft involving a female flight attendant.

Two passengers on that same flight wet themselves, forcing flight attendants to put the soiled seat cushions in plastic bags and store them in the overhead bins to be carried back to the squadron’s base in Trenton for cleaning.

thank u for ur service colonel dallaire

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like to imagine you have a special archive of CF pants-pissing stories. This one is great because it combines the 3 principles of the Canadian Forces: Pants pissing, gross sexual misconduct, and extremely questionable spending.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i just discovered the toronto star actually

superb journalism imo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

namaste friends posted:

i just discovered the toronto star actually

superb journalism imo

You could probably get a job as a regular columnist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could probably get a job as a regular columnist.

I think CI is more National Post material

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Working at Humber and Ryerson, I can say that there are plenty of students in their early 20s who are very mature and also plenty who are very childish. Generalizing like "they are all children" is insulting.

But guess what, it's completely inappropriate for me to gently caress any of them because of the power imbalance I have as their prof. Brown is a creep. This statement by his intern/girlfriend makes him look like even more of a creep.

It's like denying you have a gambling problem by asking your bookie to vouch for what a good guy you are.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jimbozig posted:

Working at Humber and Ryerson, I can say that there are plenty of students in their early 20s who are very mature and also plenty who are very childish. Generalizing like "they are all children" is insulting.

But guess what, it's completely inappropriate for me to gently caress any of them because of the power imbalance I have as their prof. Brown is a creep. This statement by his intern/girlfriend makes him look like even more of a creep.

It's like denying you have a gambling problem by asking your bookie to vouch for what a good guy you are.

do your students know you're into home birthing because lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
haha holy poo poo i didn't know ryerson is allowed to grant phds

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
^^^ I did my grad school at UofT.

namaste friends posted:

do your students know you're into home birthing because lmao

Every time you post about this I get a happy warm feeling. It brings me joy to know you are still mad about that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So, how long until CI eats his final ban?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
For a moment I thought the amazing powers of Marxist-Leninist-R.Guyovichist thought had re-educated CI sufficiently that he wouldn't immediately start posting about the forum vendetta that caused his last month long probation.

Alas even the iron first of internet communism eventually runs aground on the treacherous shoals of human nature.

edit - oh lol his home birthing probe was like three months ago, how fast time flies

Helsing fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 21, 2018

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Has anyone told him yet that John Horgan's new childcare stipend covers home birthing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

The trigger is "My doula makes the best kale chips"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

The trigger is "My doula makes the best kale chips"

Only if your doula is a Sikh CF veteran

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/966437547957252096?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

:lol: that's quite the vetting process you have there

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Only if your doula is a Sikh CF veteran

Who owns three Vancouver condos

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Chaos Reigns

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I hope the Ottawa PC leadership debate next week is a loving bloodbath.

Figuratively, of course.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Leofish posted:

I hope the Ottawa PC leadership debate next week is a loving bloodbath.

Figuratively, of course.

You say this as though they aren't going to ritualistically bathe in the blood of infants who died as a result of Mike Harris's healthcare and welfare cuts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Throwing your retirement savings down a hole labeled Ezra Levant to own the libs

https://pressprogress.ca/rebel-media-asks-viewers-to-place-retirement-savings-into-newly-created-rebel-freedom-fund/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Wtf is wrong with this rear end in a top hat's suit

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

just another posted:

Did you friend mean they are on a warrant? Did they commit an indictable offense? Are they on the sex offender list "only because they pee'd in a playground park after midnight" ?

edit : saw the rest of your comments. If you really feel he is being targeted and its not because of him causing crimes/disturbances contact your local MPP or maybe some police review board?

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

And a legal defense organization